• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A sad day for Baja and for the game.

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Historical houses indeed
Would love the posibility to place a smaller house ontop of a bigger house, even if it would require two accounts.
With the new keep/ castle designs around theres definately room for it, but house regulations says no.

The image above illustrate how packed it was back in the days, houses everywhere,
although there was no malas,ter mur or trammel to place in. Part of me still think it would be best that way, with just one facet.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Historical houses indeed
Would love the posibility to place a smaller house ontop of a bigger house, even if it would require two accounts.
With the new keep/ castle designs around theres definately room for it, but house regulations says no.

The image above illustrate how packed it was back in the days, houses everywhere,
although there was no malas,ter mur or trammel to place in. Part of me still think it would be best that way, with just one facet.
Yes packed and full of war zones. just looking at it I wonder the last time someone was able to get into the tower a rune would put you under the sign. but then who knows when the owner was on last. This could of been a blessed area and had it removed.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will most likely not make it next one about 4 to 5hrs can someone take a screen shot and add it. Its a part of History leaving the game for good.
1637095093648.png

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bummer, I remember getting broken into so often back then.....that's a old timer dun gone home.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You're probably right that it was all grandfathered, hence all collapsing around the same time. It's truly sad to see such a monument lost. I haven't seen a "courtyard" in over 20 years, and a "shed" in even longer.

"When I was a kid, I had to walk five miles to school and back!" When we were UO young ones, a lack of house security made it really bad, and players since don't know how awesome it was to place that first house (I sold bows to NPCs for four nights straight to buy my first one!) and then lose it soon enough (our next door neighbors were total UOErs). A lot of people quit on the spot after getting ganked outside their houses and losing the keys. Just placing the three outside houses was risky, if a group of Dreads or even a thief happened along.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I never realized home invasions were a real aspect of uo back then, it never seemed that way to me. Good times.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yup someone stole my keys and a rune to my house. They got in, I got there and cast a demon. Luckily it killed them and I got my key back. Was one of the things that made me take a long UO break.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I never realized home invasions were a real aspect of uo back then, it never seemed that way to me. Good times.
They also blocked your rune spot.

One thing people did was place the key on vendor for no sale. The after a while they patched it and gave warning that the keys on vendors would turn from no sale to a few gold. If you where not lucky your key would of been bought and the inside cleaned out.

I remember what few people that had castles had runes marked inside. I always did and still do have my recall spot away from the house sometimes it was a few screens away.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You're probably right that it was all grandfathered, hence all collapsing around the same time. It's truly sad to see such a monument lost. I haven't seen a "courtyard" in over 20 years, and a "shed" in even longer.

"When I was a kid, I had to walk five miles to school and back!" When we were UO young ones, a lack of house security made it really bad, and players since don't know how awesome it was to place that first house (I sold bows to NPCs for four nights straight to buy my first one!) and then lose it soon enough (our next door neighbors were total UOErs). A lot of people quit on the spot after getting ganked outside their houses and losing the keys. Just placing the three outside houses was risky, if a group of Dreads or even a thief happened along.
Even more sad is that BS didn't intervene to save the houses for their historical value.

But, then, thinking again, it would have been strange if they would have, considering the current Devs's attitude...:confused:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's hilarious that people are complaining that houses that should have been deleted years and years ago were not allowed to be turned into permanent museums. I would like to have a portable forge in my pack too, oh and a water tile for backpack fishing..and....you know, nostalgia and all...history....lol

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
It's hilarious that people are complaining that houses that should have been deleted years and years ago were not allowed to be turned into permanent museums. I would like to have a portable forge in my pack too, oh and a water tile for backpack fishing..and....you know, nostalgia and all...history....lol
Please, go back you too to wack yourself in the nearest dungeon: people that don't understand the value of "nostalgia & History" should limit themselves to play CandyCrush or such stuff...

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Please, go back you too to wack yourself in the nearest dungeon: people that don't understand the value of "nostalgia & History" should limit themselves to play CandyCrush or such stuff...
These houses were illegally placed and all of them were supposed to have been deleted. I realize they were enjoyed by some but still....

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
These houses were illegally placed and all of them were supposed to have been deleted. I realize they were enjoyed by some but still....
The houses were legally placed when that kind of placement was possible (no "hacking" involved) and were correctly grandfathered. It is really sad IMO that even veteran players as you don't see the reasons of the importance to preserve the memories of the game as it was, expecially in cases as this one, in which it was only a curio and an oddity, and had no negative impact on any other player's gaming.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Folks, some disagreement is fine but please don’t make the responses personal.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Something happened, to them or their view of the game, it's clear they cared for the account.

Not illegal, the concept of grandfathering should explain enough. Every account back then could have 5 houses per shard, many did and some still do.

It's just another reminder of the days of yore fading away, good thing the team gets a fairly secure payment for the continued growth and expansion we all see daily.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I"m aware of grandfathered houses where the sign said "improperly placed" and these were deemed legal. I have no memory of small houses being placed on top of towers ever being declared legal....but I live under a rock a lot so...anyway.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I did this in hope that the owner would see it.

They paid the same account for 24 years eather they left game I dont see a vet with that type of house leaveing game willing.

Or they placed a house dont think that.

Last thing is that a player passed

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Dread days were the best. Before trammel, and before decay, the game was exciting on a level players who came later will never experience in UO.

One of my favorite "scores" was stealthing into a guy's house and looking around on my then 99.9 magery pvp toon. No skill lock meant your skill would drop from GM whenever you raised in something else so you were careful not to gain unwanted skills on your fight toons. Anyway, the guy got mad and tried to kill me, but couldn't, and of course you couldn't ban anyone from your house so he got so upset he called in his guild.

The guild, thinking I was a thief type toon rushed into the small confines of the house to kill me and, along with a good friend of mine (Aries, miss ya bud) two of us held off a dozen or so. It's not until SSJ showed up and killed everyone that the party ended, many went red that day but not Aries and I, lol. We'd let them attack us so they'd turn grey.

People back then valued their hard earned ingots and leather more than the stuff people do today... and nobody took any from that guy's house, not even the reds. Great times were had, even by the guy who originally got mad. "That was awesome" he said later in Brit.

It was.

Shout out to Smithy the Smith and his son Scriber if you read this, you lived next door and helped make the resulting multi-guild war a ton of fun.

Houses on houses was extreme but most everyone stacked furniture in weird ways to keep people out. Truly, good times. On Atlantic there was no room for a 7x7 house anywhere and many, many players played out of their bank vaults. The level of entitlement was lower too, getting the better of someone was the goal. You could always switch personas to your good toon after getting some, lol.

Last edited:

Alaric

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
Has anyone seen the home owner in the last 10 years? Id wager not. The faster inactives are identified and removed, the faster these dead ass servers can be removed.

Alaric

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
@Draza I propose a blackrock meteor destroys it all. A fresh start. Nothing survives. And we will memorialize our memories in museums on our brand new, unified server, perhaps one of 4-5 with respect to regional latency. Aggressively targeting unattended farming and multiboxing. Easy fix, make 100 players mad for a week and fix the game forever.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Draza I propose a blackrock meteor destroys it all. A fresh start. Nothing survives. And we will memorialize our memories in museums on our brand new, unified server, perhaps one of 4-5 with respect to regional latency. Aggressively targeting unattended farming and multiboxing. Easy fix, make 100 players mad for a week and fix the game forever.
so you have been on Stratics for 5 mins and you want to change everything to suit you? Glad no one will be listening to what you want. Don't like it, you can of course find a new game.

Chazztizer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I had set up along side of a mountain with a smitty and used a bakers and a house I think to create a large yard area. I did not know a stealther knew what I was doing and marked a rune in the grass
area before I finished closing it off with the last house. As soon as my friend and I dropped our guild stone he clicked it and named our guild "The Puking Bastards".. lol
We paged a gm and believe it or not GM Rock showed up as we were arguing with this person. By the end of all of the discussing and telling him what happened he believed us
and erased the guild name and took the rune from the offender! In a million years I never expected that especially back then. We named the guild "RCK" Regulators of chaotic killing. :>)

gwen

Slightly Crazed
I had set up along side of a mountain with a smitty and used a bakers and a house I think to create a large yard area. I did not know a stealther knew what I was doing and marked a rune in the grass
area before I finished closing it off with the last house. As soon as my friend and I dropped our guild stone he clicked it and named our guild "The Puking Bastards".. lol
We paged a gm and believe it or not GM Rock showed up as we were arguing with this person. By the end of all of the discussing and telling him what happened he believed us
and erased the guild name and took the rune from the offender! In a million years I never expected that especially back then. We named the guild "RCK" Regulators of chaotic killing. :>)
wow, that is a story! That stealther should have no real life.

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I tend to feel sad when things like this go because I often suspect the owner is ill or has passed away. Any other scenario is possible.. could've been a bugged account or something, but for me I think the only reason someone would let go of something that they've held on to that long (and haven't used) is that they are ill or have passed away. They updated their account info every time their debit/credit card was reissued for 23 years, hard to think that they just forgot without reason.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I tend to feel sad when things like this go because I often suspect the owner is ill or has passed away. Any other scenario is possible.. could've been a bugged account or something, but for me I think the only reason someone would let go of something that they've held on to that long (and haven't used) is that they are ill or have passed away. They updated their account info every time their debit/credit card was reissued for 23 years, hard to think that they just forgot without reason.
That's how I see it... As they survived how many purges that have dropped countless other places... so the only other thing that would tear someone from such an account would have to be the grim hand of death.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sad days indeed!

I wonder how many setups like that are left out there?

My good friend and UO neighbor back in the day had a setup like that and deleted it all in a rage quit and told me after she did it. I totally would have taken her account over if she let me to save it.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Sad days indeed!

I wonder how many setups like that are left out there?

My good friend and UO neighbor back in the day had a setup like that and deleted it all in a rage quit and told me after she did it. I totally would have taken her account over if she let me to save it.
"Rage quitting"... now THIS is a really "native" UO thing... :p ;)

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I rage quit, once, on my first day!

My first toon left Britain to wander north and got totally lost up there, I ended up confusing the mountains and just wanted to get back to town to play. Runebooks didn't exist yet, no stuck feature, and GMs had an early policy of not moving characters unless truly stuck since the game had not been explored yet. Being lost didn't qualify.

I told the GM off and deleted my toon to create another in town, lol. Something about having died, lost everything, gotten ressed by a wandering healer then running with EVERYTHING trying to kill me for a couple hours wasn't fun, hmm. Good times. No website guides, no maps, North being slanted to the NE... stuff like that was brand new... AND FUN(but not at the time)

- Remember the good times.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread days were the best. Before trammel, and before decay, the game was exciting on a level players who came later will never experience in UO.

One of my favorite "scores" was stealthing into a guy's house and looking around on my then 99.9 magery pvp toon. No skill lock meant your skill would drop from GM whenever you raised in something else so you were careful not to gain unwanted skills on your fight toons. Anyway, the guy got mad and tried to kill me, but couldn't, and of course you couldn't ban anyone from your house so he got so upset he called in his guild.
You're talking about two different time periods, as the stealth skill was introduced well after the noto system, unless you're talking about the illegal UOE and its ghostwalk exploit.

Yeah, the good old Dread days, with all the exploits, with killing a couple of ettins in Wrong only to be zerged by PKs with Uzi bows, then spending the rest of your limited time running out to the nearest town and having to regear.