• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A return to Vana D'iel

K

kouper

So, here I am yet another past player posting about a possible return. I don't know what it is, I never got far into the game, I have no rl friends who play it. Yet at the same time I feel drawn to it. I played back in october of 2004 for about a month, unfortunately my friends who all played with me left for wow, so I did as well. I came back and played in the Xbox 360 beta, and then bought it when it released. I had a elvaan from windurst and my highest job was rdm 35 and my whm was almost to 20. I had been found by a married couple who had a little family linkshell (this was on alexander) They really helped me out and showed me how to play the game. Unfortunately one day they all quit at the same time, and I haven't seen em since. Shortly after that I quit, and I haven't been back.

I kind of want to return, but I can't decide if I should track down my old account info, or just buy the game for the 4th or 5th time and start over again. How are the servers? Id like one that is fairly balanced, Im not too worried about the community because from my experience ffxi easily has the best community out there.

Should I start another red mage? And has anything been added to the lower levels as far as new content/quests and the sort?

A

Airslash

can't really say much since I'm a newbie myself, but you do seem to go through the lower levels ALOT faster compared to the previous years.

K

kouper

I think my big question is going to be if I want to level a rdm first, or go with something else, Ive had a war to 10 and a mnk to 5 and thats it.... Not sure if I should try something different like a mage or thief. I think my biggest fear is going to be joining a server like alexander where untill I bumped into aicyss I didnt see any other pc's except for rmt's fishing in windy...

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, really? I really hate that it always sounds like I'm trying to promote my own server through Stratics, but over the years I've seen RMT on Caitsith decline down to almost nothing today. Even the masses in Talacca Cove have stopped their afk fishing. or at least when I go there...

As for what you should try.. try it all! That's the beauty of this game. One character can be everything. I've worked everything up to at least 11 (except RNG and PUP) and I have a good feel for what I like in the game from doing that. That said, RDM is never a bad idea. Jack of all trades, master of none..

If you can, I'd reactive an old account, just in hopes of getting an anniversary ring if nothing else.

K

kouper

Ya, my rdm would be fun, especially if I can transfer servers... if not oh well. But ya, I was about to quit the game at level 6 or 7 because I hadn't seen anything but RMT's... it was crazy, and then a lil tarutaru offered to help me out in the middle of no where and I was invited into their linkshell and things went swimmingly from there...

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tarus are the bestest! ::heart::

Glad you found real players. Wonder what the attraction on Alexander is for RMTs..

K

kouper

Haha, if I start a new account Im going tarutaru all the way. I love em. No idea, once I got to jeuno there where pc's everywhere, I mean, getting to where I could camp outside jeuno took a while, but once I got to that level parties took minutes to form, the server just has 0 lowbies. haha. Maybe its just the age of the game though, and an rmt is less likely to be reported in windy where there is a lower concentration of players. (being the only person at the AH is wierd)

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm. Perhaps. I get all happy if I'm the only one in the Grotto or Ghelsba when I'm soloing a baby job. lol

Most jobs can handle soloing easily to the high teens, so that's a help. And with Fields of Valor it's even easier. But not for someone who solos in Ghelsba ;)

K

kouper

I'll have to look up the fields of valor, I keep reading about em and not knowing anything. We'll see, Im in the process of moving to so cal, so as soon as Im there I'll hook FFXI back up. As of right now Im on an at&t wireless card for internet, and I dont think patching ffxi will be friendly to my 5gb a month limit...

Im thinking If I cant get my old account back I'll go with a War at first, just to try it again, and i need to learn more about the game. I see so many abreviations that mean absolutely nothing to me. It doesn't help that having played wow since launch I have all its words stuck in my head... haha. Thank you though, I think I'll try caitsith out and actually use the mentoring program....

K

kouper

Now to figure out crafting, looks like a fun time sink of a divirsion...

S

ShadowOfLife

I've just returned to Vana D'iel myself (new account, couldn't reactivate my old). The big things that hit me:

1- Leveling is now way faster, even undergeared with no support job.
Permanent regen/refresh using the tabs from the new field manuals removes any downtime you might have. easy prey mobs also give 2x to 3x the exp they used to.

2- The economy is stable.
When I left, there was a 20% to 50% inflation rate on items, mostly due to RMT. I was expecting fire crystals to be at 15k a stack when coming back after a 5 year absence. I'm playing on Ramuh. Big surprise: the items cost the exact same thing as when I left 5 years ago. stack of ram leather: 13k, the exact same price as what I used to sell them. Not sure about high lvl items (not yet to Jeuno, I only checked the 3 home cities). I spoke to a few people, and they told me that Squarenix came down hard on RMTs, and they're pretty much a thing of the past in FFXI. So I suspect that's for all servers, and not just Ramuh or Caith Seith.

3- Finding a party.
With the new "Synch level" function, you can get people of any level, group together, and then you all become the same level. That makes finding a party (or creating one) much, much easier. It also enables you to play with people in the linkshell, who can keep leveling their lvl 40 dragoon even though you want to level your lvl 14 whm.

So that's my impressions after 1 week of playing.

K

kouper

Wow, that just made me more excited to play. While I dont think it'll pull me away from wow, it will definitely be enjoyable. Now if only I could get to the house we're lookin at in cali and get the internet hooked up... I can patch, and patch and play! :)

Should I start out crafting right off the bat or wait a while? When I played before crafting seemed quite daunting.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are some nice low level synths you can do while you're out learning the ropes of the game again. For example, I would definitely buy some windurstian tea leaves and distilled water before heading to West or East Ronfaure. Sheepskin turns into sheep leather easily with these two items and a dark crystal. it's a level 2 leathercraft synth, and for a small amount of money and effort, you turned a 200 gil sheepskin into a 1000 gil piece of sheep leather. Plus, sheep leather stacks, where sheepskins do not. You'll run out of room fast killing sheep if you don't synth those skins into something. There's also sheep wool, which is a level 4 leathercraft synth (two sheepskins and a wind crystal). That doesn't sell as well in my experience, but if you want to gain some leathercraft skill instead of gaining money, that's a way to go with the sheepskins.

Another example.. worms. They drop ores, of all things. Three copper ores and one tin ore = bronze ingot with a fire crystal, which is a level 2 synthing sync. Copper ore can be bought from the guild for ~10 gil so you KNOW you won't get much selling it at the auction house. But one bronze ingot could be worth 500. AND they stack, where ores do not.

If you're starting in Windurst or Bastok, I know less about the mobs there, but there are bees in the starting ares, and they drop beehive chips. Three chips, distilled water and a fire crystal = beeswax, a level 5 alchemy synth (which you can do with no skill at all).

Beyond using things you're obtaining from drops I wouldn't really work a craft yet. It gets addictive and expensive.

K

kouper

I like that though, and It looks more rewarding then what Im used to for crafting...

I'll have to read up on crafting and try it out. if anything to compress bag space while out and about. I think the moghouse is one of the coolest features in the game for some reason I just love it. haha.

Eh, I think I found my cell phone that had my old pol info on it, hopefully it does....

K

kouper

Happy news, I realised my old pol info is still saved on my xbox, so friday I will restore, if possible. :)

K

kouper

So I figured while waiting to get my old account back I'd download the 14 day trial... I didnt get playonline registration info... so I dont know what to do from here.... haha

R

Rapson

Where did you get the 14 day free trial from? I know if you get it from File Planet, you have to input your email on one of the pages before you download the client, and they'll send you the trial key.....

K

kouper

Hmmm. I'll check my email again.... thank you.

Nope, nothin. sadly.

R

Rapson

Im at work right now, so I can't look for the answer. But once I get home, I can help you out.

K

kouper

thank you. Im at work too I just happen to have two comps atm, one is for distracting myself and the other Im actually working on. haha. I may just resign up for the trial and see what happens.

Edit, I'm just an idiot, underneath the download link there's another link to receive your 14 day trial key....

K

kouper

There you go then! No need for my help afterall :p
Just wait till I've realized that I have no idea how to play anymore. haha. Nah, just playin, thank you much though.

Playonline is not currently emailing new trial keys. Please try again later.... Fail. hahahaha

K

kouper

Sooo, as of right now Im a taru named naphtaru on cait sith. blm is what Im leveling first... maybe. we'll see. Problem is I cant control it, so Im reading up the controls and trying to figure a way to adjust them. the w,a,s,d keys automatically bring up chat for me so I cant run, and I dont have an extra mouse for my laptop.. hahaha, you'd all laugh if you saw me running around windy right now. Hopefully I'll be on some time tonight to figure it out and go out and burn some rabbits (I guess technicaly Im stoning them atm... but whatev...) I forgot how awesome and sad the opening cinema is...

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you on a laptop? I can't remember how I ran on the laptop.. But if you're on a regular keyboard, you'll use the number pad.. 2 4 6 8.

R

Rapson

IF you havent figured it out yet...go to Config, then misc 2 and use compact keyboard to change it from using the numpad, to using wasd config, it changes around a couple of other things, but it explains it when you change it.

K

kouper

IF you havent figured it out yet...go to Config, then misc 2 and use compact keyboard to change it from using the numpad, to using wasd config, it changes around a couple of other things, but it explains it when you change it.
ya, according to config im using wasd I just need to change my chat settings so that every key doesnt automatically open up chat. Also, I have to figure out all my other settings because of the fact that none of my F buttons work how I remember them....

A

Airslash

hehehe this soo makes we want to see you run around :p

its also the reason why I play this game from the PC, and not console/laptop

K

kouper

hehehe this soo makes we want to see you run around :p

its also the reason why I play this game from the PC, and not console/laptop
Ya, I play on my work lap top atm because I get free wifi at work and in my neighborhood, but with where my desktop is I dont get good reception. Once we move I'll be playing on the desktop. haha

K

kouper

well, I deleted my napthtaru and remade him as a rdm. I wanted the dagger to level with rather then the staff, thats why I deleted instead of just going to my moghouse and switching. and napthtaru is now level2. hahaha

K

kouper

Red Mage

The new job ability "Composure" and a new line of En- type magic spells will be added.

- Composure
(Lv.50 Ability Delay: 5 min. Duration: 5 min.)
Increases accuracy and lengthens recast time. Enhancement effects gained through white and black magic you cast on yourself last longer.

- Notes
Activating Composure will impose a recast time penalty upon all magic, songs, and ninjutsu.

- En- Type Spells
Enfire II (Lv.58) / Enblizzard II (Lv.56) / Enaero II (Lv.54) / Enstone II (Lv.52) / Enthunder II (Lv.50) / Enwater II (Lv.60)
Adds elemental damage to your initial attacks (subsequent blows by characters for whom multiple attacks are possible do not receive this effect). Each successive activation increases elemental damage strength up to a predetermined limit. Reduces the target's resistance against the associated element.

Example) Enfire II: Adds fire damage to your initial attacks and reduces the target's resistance against water.

Summoner

Changes are scheduled for the following Blood Pact abilities:

- The effective range for Blood Pact: Ward area of effect enhancing and healing abilities will be increased and become equivalent to that of white magic spells such as "Protectra."

- Blood Pact: Ward "Hastega"
The Blood Pact: Ward ability "Hastega" will be adjusted to nullify the effects of Slow in the same manner as the white magic "Haste."

- Blood Pact: Rage
Meteor Strike / Geocrush / Wind Blade / Grand Fall / Heavenly Strike / Thunderstorm
Both damage and TP-based damage dealt by the above abilities will be increased.

this makes me really wanna level my rdm up even faster.....

K

kouper

So, Im level 4, really enjoying being a rdm. I want to get into crafting and Im not sure where to start so Im working on fishing and cooking for a bit. other then that I know little about crafting, it has been a good deal of fun though.

K

kouper

Wierd, Im playing on a dell vostro laptop, Its a decent little machine, unsure of the stats atm, but it plays just fine in HD. But for some reason when I cast stone there's no spell animation, All my other spells work just fine, My friend hopped on with his account, and all his spells work fine, except for stone.....

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmmm, that IS strange. Are your drivers updated, specifically your graphics adapter? I used to lag heavily in earth weather. I replaced my graphics card when it died and the new one doesn't have that problem.

K

kouper

Hmmm, that IS strange. Are your drivers updated, specifically your graphics adapter? I used to lag heavily in earth weather. I replaced my graphics card when it died and the new one doesn't have that problem.
Ya, everything is updated, its just wierd because the basic Stone spell is the ONLY Graphical issue

K

kouper

So, I finally purchased the full version of the game, and while my lil rdm from before is gone, i am leveling a new. I would love if anyone knows of/has a friendly link shell I dont mind rerolling, I have a 6 or 7 rdm on alexander and another lil rdm on Cait sith... Reallly I'd just like to get to know the social aspect of the game... so lonely.

Y

YoungUn

Look me up on Caitsith (Whumpers) and I'd be happy to give you a pearl to our social shell.

T

Taruatops

thank you. Im at work too I just happen to have two comps atm, one is for distracting myself and the other Im actually working on. haha. I may just resign up for the trial and see what happens.

Edit, I'm just an idiot, underneath the download link there's another link to receive your 14 day trial key....
Hi im a newbie to the community and was wondering the same thing about the trial code..... I cant see to find it anywhere. This bothers me quite a bit :( i want to try this game so bad! If anyone can help please reply. Thank you :thumbup:

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi im a newbie to the community and was wondering the same thing about the trial code..... I cant see to find it anywhere. This bothers me quite a bit :( i want to try this game so bad! If anyone can help please reply. Thank you :thumbup:
I could be wrong but I thought from what he posted above, that stated where it is?