• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Begging] a question

woody

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for somw strange reason i want to make a beggerwoman thief anyone have an idea for a semi decent template

S

Salty Pete

Do you want to beg from players or from NPCs?

If you want to beg from players and have the beggar title you'll need to keep all of your skills at 100. You can use items to increase your stealing above 100. I am not sure if it has been changed yet, but in the old days when you joined the thieves guild you lost the ability to display your profession title which means you'd have stay out of the guild.

If you only want to beg from players then you can have a normal thief template and you can join the guild. Just keep your karma up and your fame below the level where you normally would have your title displayed.

Template I'd suggest is this;

GM Begging
GM Stealing (scroll up to 120 and use items to hit that mark)
GM Hiding
80 Stealth
GM Magery
GM Eval
GM Med
Remaining skill points into ninja

W

Warrior of Time

May I suggest:

Begging
stealing
hidding
stealth
magery
Ninja

At this point you need to decide if your going to steal in Doom or Felucca.

With people you need snoop and be in the thieves guild.
In doom you don't and more points for other skills
Chivelary for when you need to heal and cure once you was killed and lost regs. For this 80 is fine. You need no regs to cure, heal, and use sacraid journey

As Salty Pete said you need a 120 stealing scroll. How you fill it is up to you.
You may want a 120 stealth scroll. Very hard to reveal a elf with 120 stealth and 100 hidding thief. Elf don't need night sight also.

Ninja needs to be enough to use smoke and shadow jump about 80. I have had a balron fighting me and still succede in useing smoke.

An archane robe that is insured gives you 24 spells and can be insured against death. You use that for casting invis. It also lets you use the virtue armor set.
That way you only pay to insure 3 items Ring, Braclet, and the Robe.

I don't know of any thieves that use magery to cast on things. Magery is used to cast invisabilty on yourself and get around.

As you can see you need to plan on dieing and be good enough that you don't.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*drops 2 pennies on the table*

The thief is one of my favorite classes in the game, and begging is quickly moving up the list of my favorite skills. Before you can plan out a successful template, you need to decide what type of activity you plan on using this character for. Stealing can be from other players, Doom or Town crates. Begging can be done from players (although unless you're RPing you're just a bum IMO), as well as from NPC's.

For purposes of this post I'll assume you want to steal from other players & town crates, and beg from NPC's (My 3 favorite activities for these 3 skill sets). Here's the template I'd use:

100 Begging
100 Stealing (scrolled to 120)
100 Snooping
100 Hiding
100 Stealth (scrolled to 120)
100 Lockpicking
60 Chivalry
40 Magery

Now, my reasoning: Scroll Stealing and Stealth up to 120 but lock them at 100. Use items to get yourself up to 120 in each of them (Shadow Dancer Leggings). Snooping is a MUST if you plan on stealing from other players (True Thieves don't random steal). Lockpicking is not set in stone. If you're not going to be stealing from town crates, drop it totally. I only added it because I like to have some of the semi-rares from town crates to sell on my vendor. Now, depending on your account age you may have an extra 20 skill points to play with. If you do I would put them into chivalry. This will allow you greater success with heals/cures and sacred journey. The only reason I added magery was for the telekenesis. At 40 skill you have about a 75% chance of casking TK successfully (used to remove the traps from town crates without getting yourself hurt).

This template puts more emphasis on being sneaky and getting away unnoticed rather than PvP when it comes to stealing from other players. In the past I have made PvP thieves with some basic combat skills just as a backup in case sneaking away unnoticed fails to work.

S

Salty Pete

If you plan on stealing from players keep your begging skill at 0.

You don't need the begging skill to beg from players and you can't display your title anyway. You also will need the extra 100 skill points to be effective.

W

Warrior of Time

No matter what armor you pick for the PVP thief. May I suggest you use all 70s.

Also remember when you hit that key to steal you reveal. So you may wish to hit smoke to rehide.

No matter what way you go have fun. I actually hope they put more dungeon stealable items in UO/SA. That would give both types of thieves something to do.

woody

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so it looks like since i got 120 stealing 100 hiding and 100 magery and 50 some begging i should go with adding stealt and ninji and begging

W

Warrior of Time

That templet would be fine in: Doom, The Dojo, and the mines. Some get by just fine without stealth in those places. Just in case you want to move points to some other skill what ever it my be.

I am one of the ones that do use stealth though. It helps ME in a number of ways. The first way is when you get to a place where there are a lot of stealable items there can be a lot of spawn. A good example is in doom at the table. In that area you can find the:cocoon, egg case, streatched hide, saddle, hanging legs, the tunic and the brazier.

If you have a number of thieves running by to see if an item has come every 15 min. If it didn't spawn there it gets dragged there. You may see 2 items have come in the last 15 min. You ride to the first. cast invis on yourself. [Break spawn line if sight] Steal the first item. Cast invis on yourself again. [stealing and hide are both skills] get off the mount, (anything from the charger to fallen to the rideable polor bear.) stalth back to the other and steal it. Then back onto the mount and run to the next area.

Another would be stealing say next to a balron. You never wait till it walks away. You run up and cast invis, steal, then run again or cast invis again. The trouble starts when you fail a steal. If the place has an Oni and fan dancers. One of them may see you when you try again. Or if it is one of the paintings that are a double. Miss it more than once it can be best to stealth away.

If your intent is to steal from a player. Not haveing stealth and snoop is not an option.

That one you noted is fine for a Doom thief.

With only 120 stealing, 100 magery, 100 hiding alone you can start stealing in doom.

woody

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thank you get my stealth to around gm now working on it to get 120. that was a good lesson on how to steal in doom better get my invis fingure trained for speed .

L

Lord Drakelord

thank you get my stealth to around gm now working on it to get 120. that was a good lesson on how to steal in doom better get my invis fingure trained for speed .
I use UOA and have a macro set to cast invis on my thief after I steal an item. I then stealth from that location so not to be reveal by those around me.