• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Promise Kept

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to admit I am curious. There is no reason I can see that Mikael should suddenly released me after but two nights as their guest. Malekai had spoken from the start that there was to be a trial and that I was to be tried for treason. And while this made little to no sense to me, but I can well imagine that much of what was going on was being done with Gillians say so. It is interesting that I was taken to the Hands keep and not as a real prisoner should be to the Yew prison.

That none of them, including Yews governor could understand the anger I feel at how things had been manipulated from the start no longer surprise me. And as with most who lack understanding of a persons motives that they resorted to claims of insanity on my part only shows that they are grasping at straws. I had hoped that the agreement Gillian had crafted with the Hand would be just what she represented it to be-no more than a stall tactic to give Yew a chance to recruit the fighters needed to push Mikael and the Hand out. This concept I fully supported and I believed that it would serve to give some respite for the citizens of Yew.But as all too often happens, a bit of power can corrupt even the most well meaning of souls. And yet, still some small part of me holds on to a sliver of hope that things will one day get better again.

I have to admit that I have had my part in the mess we are in now. Had I just insisted on reading the agreement ahead of time, changes could have been made. Or perhaps the danger inherent to the document would have been exposed? But hindsight is almost always twenty/twenty, and it is useless to dwell on what I should have done in the past.

But at this point what interests me the most is what compelled Mikael to release me without any semblance of a trial. His demands of course on my release were not acceptable to me, and I do not think that Mik, nor the member of the D’Amavir family present understood my reasoning. It is through a deep sense of duty and some measure of gratitude that I have continued to serve and protect the Yew community as best I can. Brother Kyriel and Beleg charged me with this task, and no proclamation from the so called Protector of Yew could or would release me from the vow I made.

It would, I admit be nice to step aside and have someone else take over the task. I am not as young as once I was, and a weariness of body and soul are upon me. And through the many long years I have searched for one that I could trust to be faithful in the charge of protecting Yew. I thought I had found that person, but now it would seem my search must continue.

Mikael told me that Aegis was mine; well it has been mine for some time, and is not his to give. But I would give my last cup of good tea to find one that is true of heart and intent. And looks to protect Aegis, Yew and her people, and are not just looking for a seat of power from which they can bully, tax and murder the innocent.

Until I am sure that person or persons have truly stepped forth, I will remain Guardian of Aegis and Yew.