• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player Event) A Possible Small Christmas Event this December (2018).

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello Atlantic!

I've been considering a little Christmas event at the good ole Red & Purple.

When I was forced to give up the Small Marble Shop for a more substantial building just to deal with vendor limitations... we went from a tiny mall packed with vendors and not much else... to having a rune library, garden, public dye tubs for everyone to use... a stack of boxes to work lock-picking... and a few other things.

It was the first house I ever got to customize. Why the Mini Mall is designed the way it is? Under the time we had the Small Marble Shop... we suffered 3 land invasions. The Giant ANTS... the Juka… the Swamp creatures (from hell that still exist). Since, staff saw fit to ruin Tram towns (like West Brit Bank) by invading towns. Not a single land invasion has happened since Malas came to be. These land invasions were rough on the hardest trafficked mall on Atlantic (as I'm sure we were). Vendor owners were highly involved. 2-3 of us had to run guard duty as 1 would gate from the West Brit Bank, advertising the safe passage. In those days, I can say fighting skills were very limited vs. today. It was a struggle to keep shopper safe... and well worth it.

So, when designing the current building... I had those land invasions in mind. Invasions that never came. Thus, unlike so many other malls, vendors are lined up in rows out front and look dead-common. The mall building, as all 6 buildings in the town, are far from "Borg Cubes". I greatly enjoy the design aspect. I avoid boxes. So, no regrets finding a more real-world traditional design. More... having 3 levels vs. 4? It looks more like a keep then a tower.

One big mistake I made... I built in a water feature in the roof-top garden as well as 2 "fountains" by the main doors. I'm not 100% sure when we got the Heritage Tokens... but they fixed the need to have water-features built in. Now we have a Koi Pond! I've been very tempted. As we had our first Christmas event... it was played on the roof-top garden. People were REALLY into it and I was so happy and surprised. The first Red & Purple "Santa Event" happened in that first design. This showed me I needed to remove the fixed obstacles.

I'm also not 100% sure when the destruction of Magincia happened vs. the second Santa Event... but you can see in this picture, the mall's garden is missing all the palms and plants that are on display now. You will also see the second Santa Event.

It was a LOT easier before allowing the garden to become a LARGE collection of all the plant options the world allowed us over time. 3 of those palms, I collected myself as the city was bombed by the super monster that flashed and exploded, shaking things loose and destroying buildings.

No snow... no icicles… many of our wonderful Christmas décor items didnt exist at this point. Even collecting the old-school Christmas trees was a challenge! Just to the right side of the picture is the old ugly house that existed before "The First Church of Candy", that was the second building to make the Red & Purple Pixies of the Yew Wood. We must have seen over 200 guests that day. The line was down the second level, out the door, down the stairs. It took around 8-10 staff to work the event.

Sadly... we just do not have the active staff to do such an event today... and even more sad, I dont think we have the population to see a good amount of interest. People are so motivated by trinkets only EMs can generate. We would give out GM marked Sky Blue Neon runebooks, or special cakes... or something only we could craft... as a treat.

The last few weeks... as winder snow has bombarded our UO world, been transforming the town buildings a bit to the season. Unlike real malls, the Christmas stuff is still not on display. Besides, I cant work everything I need to do AND do a grand transformation inside a day. Not to mention I would have to place and replace the old trees. I'll wait! This time around, we have snow tiles! I cant wait to see what it would look like covered in snow. However, "IF" we could do the same Santa event today... the snow would have to go away up top. It would be too blinding and too unfit for the event. This year? It will be like a post-card scene. Like a life-size snow-globe. Come and see in 10 days time!

I was toying with a smaller event that may require 2-3 helpers. I'm interested in feedback!

Would you believe we have since gotten Wedding package in our world... and there's never been so much as a service at the "First Church of Candy"? This building came to be LONG before we had candy in UO!! It was so named as part of the Pixie Theme. What would pixies warship... or desire... or be obsessed with? CANDY! I even wrote the 10 Candy Commandments. A Candy hymnal. Collected every bit of candy, cake, and pies I can find over the years. Its true! I'll admit it... the Church was all about storage when it was placed. We hardly had a full mall to worry about runoff. A single vendor sells seasonal and anniversary goodies... slow and sure. Thats about it. Why not a little Christmas church service this year?

Yes!!! We have a Candy Bishop! She can do the service.

And just like the church itself... the Christmas service would have zero to do with any kind of religious systems in play on Earth. Thus, it would be fun for everyone.

Do I have the whole thing written already? Not at all. Thus, this idea is in production stage right now. Seeing I have zero faith in marriage? I think I would die laughing if someone wanted to get game-married in the church. Besides... I cant customize a ring. At least the mall garden would work for a reception.

Anyways... please let me know what you are thinking about such an idea. I'm interested. Its about time we had a non-staff generated event in an official town... part of the roots of our shard.

If you wish to be more involved, wish to keep your ideas private? PM me direct. I'll respond quick as I can. Thanks!

(Image shows the First Church of Candy... the plot that became the Garden Center... I owned the tower in front by then, before it became a custom house. This different, year, then the above picture.)

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I found this pic while bopping around my host site. :) Its the origional design. How many wonderful things came since then.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I remember shoping there back in the old days I think i might have had a vendor as well. I just remeber it was close to Yew back then. I still have a rune there in my old vendor rune books.

The community is not what it use to be for player run events unless its rares fest. But if you do something I will try to show up depending on irl issues.

Wish the roleplaying community was how it use to be. And when trades where done face to face then on vendors.