• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A plea for somewhat fishy information

E

Evilminion

So I've just started my first UO aquarium (hey, these didn't exist the last time I left UO!), and I was wondering whether anyone had a list of what skill level you need to nab specific fish, and relative rarity levels for each fish species...?

Also, another question: is anyone out there actually maintaining an aquarium? Or has this become as passe' as cooking seems to have?

Thanks in advance for advice, info, or opinions!

Y

Yalp

I maintain an aquarium as well. I think you have to be gm to use the net to get critters for the tank. Make sure you have enough of the bowls.. and they are expensive. If you remodel the house you'll need one for every fish you have before you can demo the tank. If you maintain a good aquarium you get rewards regularly as well as special critters that hatch in your tank over night. These are all nicely colored critters of exceptional color.

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM

L

LadyArden

Any person can use a fishnet, but as the poster surmised only GM fishermen have a chance at the extremely rare ones. The higher your fishing the more you can catch. I think it also depends on where you are fishing -deep or shallow water. But, the info for that seems to be gone.. :( Well, if the stratics forums come back, there was a good post about it in the fisherman forum.

Cheers!

L

LadyArden

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I can't actually use my fish tank in KR. :( It's yet another thing I have to switch clients for. Does anyone know if those new user interfaces/skins developed by players allow the health of the tank to be seen?

Cheers.

K

Kral

Unless you want a tank full of Minoc Blue Fish, you need a GM fisherman in deep water.

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I maintained one for a long time but i had a tough time keeping up with it (and plants) once i started working a new job. I came back one day to a couple of bones. A few weeks later i was gonna give the fish to a guildmate (because i could no longer take care of em) but i was too late. It was a tank full of bones. Just know, it's gonna take alot of maintenance.

A

Azureal

I got one at an IDOC last week. I havent yet been tempted to use it, and after reading about upkeep, I reckon Im gonna sell it.

Y

Yalp

It's not so much maintenance. Fairly routine actually. You will need to feed them (food bought from fishermen npc) and water them every other day. If you are gonna be away for an extended time.. *i've done 10 days* then feeding them AND adding a vacation wafer will "freeze" the tank. At times the health of the tank gives you a reading between certain values.. like FOOD NEEDED 3-5. At these times I put 4 in. 3 seems too little with an underfed notification in 2 days, and of course 5 gives the overfed notification.

I haven't gotten the times down, and they still seem quite random to me, but there will be reward items for keeping the tank in good condition. Could be MIB's, statute, boats, hats, poles, or others.

I am also not sure if it's tied to the reward times but you will also get one of three special events that happen inside the tank. They are "unfortunate events". A fish dying for no apparent reason than there's some timer on it's lifespan. At times the "special event" is that the tank looks cleaner today. But there are lucky times when, if you have enough space in the tank, a critter of unusual color spawns.

It's not cheap to have a tank, think they are over 25k to buy from the npc. The food is 62 per bottle. Water of course is free. But it's kinda fun to keep it going *for me 2 1/2 years*

L

love2winalot

Could someone please post an actual picture of their tank, with fish inside, i have never seen one. thanks.

Y

Yalp

i have tried to post a photo for you, but it turns out I am a duffus when it comes to that.. can't seem to get a url for the photo for you to see it

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not so much maintenance. Fairly routine actually. You will need to feed them (food bought from fishermen npc) and water them every other day. If you are gonna be away for an extended time.. *i've done 10 days* then feeding them AND adding a vacation wafer will "freeze" the tank. At times the health of the tank gives you a reading between certain values.. like FOOD NEEDED 3-5. At these times I put 4 in. 3 seems too little with an underfed notification in 2 days, and of course 5 gives the overfed notification.

I haven't gotten the times down, and they still seem quite random to me, but there will be reward items for keeping the tank in good condition. Could be MIB's, statute, boats, hats, poles, or others.

I am also not sure if it's tied to the reward times but you will also get one of three special events that happen inside the tank. They are "unfortunate events". A fish dying for no apparent reason than there's some timer on it's lifespan. At times the "special event" is that the tank looks cleaner today. But there are lucky times when, if you have enough space in the tank, a critter of unusual color spawns.

It's not cheap to have a tank, think they are over 25k to buy from the npc. The food is 62 per bottle. Water of course is free. But it's kinda fun to keep it going *for me 2 1/2 years*
I think it costs 250k for the tank. The vacation wafer is nice but when you come back, you have to wait for it to finish running its course and thats how i forgot about the tank and lost all my fish.

D

Desolation87

Could someone please post an actual picture of their tank, with fish inside, i have never seen one. thanks.
Sure, I've been keeping fish in game since I got my first house about 2 years ago. I am, indeed, very sad.

Here is a pic of your aquarium menu. Now sometimes your tank can do a random good day or bad day. And if you have already fed your fish and they have a good day, it causes them to be overfed which is why I havn't fed mine today. The food status should be full and the water state strong.

One of my fav fish - it says unusal colour but that is infact the normal colour!

I really like this fish, I caught it, it didn't breed in the aquarium.

And finally these are really crapy rewards you get. I hope they are in the turn-in if only at 50 points. If your food state is full and water state strong, you will get a reward every two days. But trust me here. Apart from the MiBs they are complete pants!!

E

Evilminion

A sea horse! Ooooooo... there's a reason to keep an aquarium right there. :) I love sea horses.

Thanks all for the info and advice. I'd still love to see a table of relative fish rarities and skill necessary to catch, but in the absence of any such list, I'll just keep fishing and find out on my own!

(Proud owner now of a Spotted Buccaneer, which may not look like much, but has the best fish name ever... arrrrrrrrhhhhhh! :D)

D

Desolation87

Yes the shells are behind the fish bones, I can do another screenshot tomorrow. The bit that annoys me is the amount of fish that die, even if you keep your tank 100% all the time.

Also don't keep your tank at max fish, you won't have lil baby fishes if you do! ;)

L

love2winalot

If your house is public, can other players actually, "SEE", the fish in the aquiriam? or just the owner can? thanks.

Y

Yalp

Yep.. public sure can see em.. if you're ever on Baja Shard, mine is right outside the Zento Moongate on the second floor. Feel free to stop by.

You were right about the cost.. 250K! Whew! And you have to decide which direction you want it before you get it! The vacation mode can be cancelled anytime you want. And I'm not sure that you can actually feed/water it when it's in that mode.. although I haven't tired!

Thanks for the tip on getting the really big shells! I'll give it a whirl!

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
x Albino Frog
x Killer Frog
x Purple Frog
x Yellow Fin Bluebelly
x Jellyfish
x Fandancer Fish
x Minoc Blue Fish
x Albino Courtesan Fish
x Makoto Courtesan Fish
x Vesper Reef Tiger
x Red Dart Fish
x A Spined Scratcher Fish
x Golden Broadtail
x Long Claw crab
x Britain Crown Fish
x Spotted Buccaneer
x Nujel'm Honey Fish
x Shrimp
x Small Mouth Sucker Fin

(tankspawn)
Spined Sosarian Swill
Stripped Flake Fish
Coral
Brine Shrimp
Seahorse

fyi, this is list of 'fish' some are tankspawn only. Think it is complete unless there are even rarer ones. Maybe someone else has something different.

Y

Yalp

good looking list...

I also have a Full Moon Fish (large purple disc shaped)

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
This makes me want to do this again. I did it once but hated cuz all my cool fish died.... But now i thik it will be fun!!!

Y

Yalp

go for it Gareth! It's not as exciting as being out adventuring.. but it's a relatively cool in game item.

G

galefan2004

go for it Gareth! It's not as exciting as being out adventuring.. but it's a relatively cool in game item.
I've gotten to the point that I love having reasons I NEED to log into the game. Plants and BODs are very nice for this obsession. Aquariums seem like the next logical step.

D

Desolation87

good looking list...

I also have a Full Moon Fish (large purple disc shaped)

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM
Mine is grey and I have to say it the weirdest looking fish going! I'm pretty sure I didn't fish it up though.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keep Food Status at Full and Water Status at Strong.
When Food Status move to overfed , then give 1 food to the aquarium and not 0 or the status will drop too ow.

Y

Yalp

My Full Moon Fish was spawned in the tank.. think that's why it's purple.

I also tend to keep the dead bones of the unusally colored fish.. hung one of those nice heritage token nets and then mixed the bones in.

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM