• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A player has passed

T

Tylindrel

Thomas Urquhart III, a friend of mine in real life, died from a fatal car crash in Louisiana on November 7th. Better known to UO pvpers on Great Lakes as Xuk’Luk [Urk], Lanto Malint, Kyle Malint, and Tolken Daire (most of his characters had the surnames Malint or Daire), he made an impression on the factions and RP scene in the years he played. Though many of the people who played with Thomas have since left to play other games, doubtless there are many here who fought either against him or alongside him over the years.

Regardless of who he played with, or against, he always kept it honorable, and he would as soon chat as fight with you. Over the years we were rarely on the same side, we were orange to one another far longer than we were green, but that never stopped us from helping each other. In life he was charismatic, good-hearted, and funny--traits that often carried over to his characters.

One of the most vivid memories I have of Thomas in game is an RP battle in Tram, many years ago. Thomas and I were fighting alongside one another in the Undead Legion. Kael Ashtar led the Legion into Yew to attack the Militia. (Kael, the GM of UL, had introduced Thomas and me to UO. We were all friends in real life, and Thomas actually lived with Kael at the time). The Undead Legion fought the Militia in Yew and defeated them—remarkable considering UL rarely, if ever had a strong showing. The militia was crawling from the field when a gate opened at the bank and oranges started to pour out of it. The Highland Guard had gated in to defend their allies, and UL scattered, the few too slow to move were quickly dropped.

With most of the Legion dispersed, leaving me (on Gravakiv) and Thomas (on Kyle Malint) against roughly eight Highland Guard, I thought we would leave, but Thomas laughing, said he had three or four on him and that he was going to stay and fight. We began to circle the buildings in Yew, striking quickly and running as soon as more Guard came on the screen. We did not plan tactics, but it was effortless, and we worked as if we had the same mind. I was using a kryss and Thomas was using the Berserker’s Maul. I would poison and armor ignore, he would rush on screen and smash the unlucky victim with the maul. We did this time and time again, until only the two of us remained in Yew, counting the gold we had made from the fight. He beat me at 60k—I had only pulled 37k.

Years later, Thomas and I would still talk about that battle and laugh, often over a beer or a burger. We would laugh over victories and defeats with equal fervor, remembering great fights regardless of who carried the day. Undoubtedly, if he were here now we would do the same.

And that is how I will always remember Thomas, laughing and full of life--a good man, a good player, and a better friend.

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thomas, or as I knew him Lanto, and I battled each other in UO for as long as I can remember. Whether it was rp wars, Order/Chaos or Factions, he was always a person to be respected on the field and someone you couldn't help but like outside the game.

Our most memorable and prolific battles were near the end of his UO playing days when he led his TAX guild against the True Britannians. He had recently posted pictures of those epic battles and it’s still hard to believe he is gone.

In baseball they have a term for a person who can do it all, a five tool player. If there is such a thing in UO, Lanto was it. The rare personality that could rp, pvp, lead, listen and most of all laugh. Everything he did had a humor to it, friendliness. Falling to him was almost bearable and defeating him always left you a little sad. A sadness that would be shortly lifted by a quirky icq that couldn't help but bring a smile to your face along with a cleverly concealed promise of revenge!

Yes this is just a game but there are those rare people you come across every once in a great while, who transcend the online connection and make a real impact on you. Anyone who had the chance to know Lanto (Thomas), knows he was that rare person. He will be sorely missed, and is responsible for some of my favorite moments in this game.

Thank you for sharing just that small part of your life with us.

-Lore

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sorry to hear of his passing. Urks always hold a special place in my memories. I always enjoyed interacting with them.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And there are lessons learned here.....

1 - Wear your seatbelt. Thomas was not and was killed. The two other people in the car were belted and survived with moderate injuries

2 - Don't get in a car with a drunk driver. The driver was cited for his 4th DUI and open container.

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry to hear that...

(when you think it's time, PM me or ask local moderators to have the thread moved or copied to our Player Memorial Forum)

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It wasn't to long ago that I spent a couple hours talking to him in Luna. We had some laughs and he'll be missed. My condelences to you and his family.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
My condolences to all affected by this tragic loss.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm so sorry to hear you lost a good friend and member of the GL community. Warm thoughts are with you.

Airmid

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I remember roleplaying with him from time to time, both as Lanto and as his Urk character. He was a great person, wonderful personality, in and out of game.

He will be missed.

Topsy Krett

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow... I remember playing along side 'Lanto' back a couple years ago with KtFo factions...

I actually vividly remember seeing you on the field, and I'm pretty sure he told me not to attack you, Tylindrel, and then he told me you guys were real cool or something and we chatted for a bit...

RIP.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awww.....

I was saddened to come across this thread while catching up on reading in the GL forum. I can't claim that I knew Thomas, but I definitely remember his name from when KDL was active in TB a few years ago. My condolences to you and his family, Tylindrel. Thank you for sharing the information about Thomas and the wonderful story about fighting the Highland Guard together. I hope that your fond memories of him will help ease the pain of his passing.

T

Trebr Drab

Thomas Urquhart III, a friend of mine in real life, died from a fatal car crash in Louisiana on November 7th. Better known to UO pvpers on Great Lakes as Xuk’Luk [Urk], Lanto Malint, Kyle Malint, and Tolken Daire (most of his characters had the surnames Malint or Daire), he made an impression on the factions and RP scene in the years he played. Though many of the people who played with Thomas have since left to play other games, doubtless there are many here who fought either against him or alongside him over the years.

Regardless of who he played with, or against, he always kept it honorable, and he would as soon chat as fight with you. Over the years we were rarely on the same side, we were orange to one another far longer than we were green, but that never stopped us from helping each other. In life he was charismatic, good-hearted, and funny--traits that often carried over to his characters.

One of the most vivid memories I have of Thomas in game is an RP battle in Tram, many years ago. Thomas and I were fighting alongside one another in the Undead Legion. Kael Ashtar led the Legion into Yew to attack the Militia. (Kael, the GM of UL, had introduced Thomas and me to UO. We were all friends in real life, and Thomas actually lived with Kael at the time). The Undead Legion fought the Militia in Yew and defeated them—remarkable considering UL rarely, if ever had a strong showing. The militia was crawling from the field when a gate opened at the bank and oranges started to pour out of it. The Highland Guard had gated in to defend their allies, and UL scattered, the few too slow to move were quickly dropped.

With most of the Legion dispersed, leaving me (on Gravakiv) and Thomas (on Kyle Malint) against roughly eight Highland Guard, I thought we would leave, but Thomas laughing, said he had three or four on him and that he was going to stay and fight. We began to circle the buildings in Yew, striking quickly and running as soon as more Guard came on the screen. We did not plan tactics, but it was effortless, and we worked as if we had the same mind. I was using a kryss and Thomas was using the Berserker’s Maul. I would poison and armor ignore, he would rush on screen and smash the unlucky victim with the maul. We did this time and time again, until only the two of us remained in Yew, counting the gold we had made from the fight. He beat me at 60k—I had only pulled 37k.

Years later, Thomas and I would still talk about that battle and laugh, often over a beer or a burger. We would laugh over victories and defeats with equal fervor, remembering great fights regardless of who carried the day. Undoubtedly, if he were here now we would do the same.

And that is how I will always remember Thomas, laughing and full of life--a good man, a good player, and a better friend.
I remember that in Yew, but I was in YM and I know there were a few other YM too. I almost got one of you using armor ignore with a bow, but in the end you guys got me. Thomas was the finisher there, good tactics and fun.

I'm really sorry to hear this. My condolences to his family and friends. I didn't know him, other than the fights, but he always seemed easy going and well grounded.

Y

yrg641

omg..
i use to play with thomas. i knew thomas..
i never met him irl, but i use to talk to him on the phone and all the time online..
i remember him and all his characters..i remember him talking about how he wanted to delete Tolken Daire and i didn't want him to, cuz it was his first character i met..
i use to play on GL as Deedra..with my friend's character Yuna..
i can't believe that, he took care of me on uo..he got me my first mare..
i think i even remember meeting you tylindrel..i think i remember the guild he was in..stalwart marauders..with ari & perrin..
That's horrible. i wish i could've talked to him one last time..

My condolences to you and his family..

G

GL-Player

As a long time member of HG: Highland Guard, I fought against and with him. In many battles and rp exchanges he was always professional. Countless times in Skara brae i have seen him, either on his URK char or one of the Malints. A lot of good memories. Its shame his time has ended so soon.

Dekeyon / Itzcoatl of HG

F

FoFoCuddlyPoops

I am so sorry to hear that. My thoughts and prayer to his family.