• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Noobs Perspective after 2 days

• Thread starter Eppenguar
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
E

Eppenguar

WARNING: Incoming wall of Text.

So, I have finally decided to try Ultima Online (although I had very low expectations and was sure that my journey would be a short one)

I have been an avid WOW player with 2 level 80's and was once an avid EQ2 player with a great endgame Wizzy but I have been seeking more. EQ2 was great, had depth and a bit of complexity but was an unpolished mess that S.O.E. (synonymous with cluster-CENSORED-) completely destroyed. WOW on the other hand was very simplistic and "casual friendly" but was highly polished and Blizz is a great company (even gave us free playtime when patches kept us down longer than intended)

After my 2nd 80 on WOW, I just couldn't do it again- So last month I began searching for an MMO that could satiate my desire for something with some real depth.... And I tried everything out there to no avail.

So I decided to give UO a spin (surprised as hell it was still around) which I had played for a week or so back in 1998 (i think) but I was a computer noob at the time (my first PC) and UO was just waaaaaay too complex for me at the time and thus I didnt make it past the 30 days that came with the game.

So i downloaded a free trial of Kingdom Reborn, patched it, fired it up and entered UO with low expectations.

First, the graphics and interface are quite clunky (and the new pseudo 3-D engine is hard to navigate through.) I had alot of problems with the beginning because things are very different in UO from what I am used to. For instance, having to type "vendor buy" or "laura teach" to interact with the N.P.C.s was difficult at first because it wasn't explained in the "Tutorial" and I didn't read the manual (I know, I know.... But how many games have you played that require the manual to figure out the basics?)

After a bit of time and Google searching, I began to understand the basics of interacting with the world and got to begin seeing the potential of this game.
This is truly a Sandbox type game, completely skill based with an open and non-linear setting.... Okay I am getting impressed.

Then a funny thing happened that set this game apart from any I have ever witnessed.... People began helping me. It must have appeared that I was a noob (lol) because people began to tell me where to get a mount, how to stable him, feeding him, etc.

Next thing I know a guy named Lord Al is taking me around and showing me how to use the teleporters (and was patient with me BIG TIME because i had trouble getting through the first time) took me to a place where people meet up AND hooked me up with Armor, Weapons and let me loot a bunch of his kills bringing me Gold and Items.

Later on I ventured back to that meeting area by myself and asked a couple noob questions to some of the Veterans and although they laughed a bit they were EXTREMELY helpful and friendly and patient AND understanding. A guy named Ozzy even gave me a ton of Gold and others (Im so sorry if I cant mention your names- there have been so many who have helped me so much that I dont even know all your names) gave me tips and items to get me started. One guy even walked with me to go to my Boat and teach me how to drive it.

Basicly, Ive never seen a community like this. I am not one of those people who want things handed to me and I certainly dont want a free ride, but when I ask a question to a Veteran I am used to flames and "hit alt F4" or "Go away NOob" and certainly not what I got here which was a WARM WELCOME to a COMMUNITY and not just a Game.

You people on the Lake Superior Shard (the first and only Shard I tried) have SOLD ME on this Game. I know that I will never be able to catch up to the Veterans and that there probably wont be ton of Noobs for me to feel superior to (lol) and frankly I dont care. I want to be part of such a great community.

So, my account will be updated Thursday (less than five days into my trial) an I already canceled WOW. Thank you for giving me such a great welcome into a game that seems as deep and complex as what I have been seeking. My in game name is Eppenguar also and if any of you ever need help that I can provide- Give me a shout.

Thank you.

S

Smokin

HEH, sounds like we got someone hooked on the crack of MMO's

L

Lunaticus

Welcome to LS Eppenguar! May you have a long and joyful, UO life! :D

R

rockkandy

welcome welcome.. if ur ever interested in learning how to pick apart game mechanics and work them to your advantage (either pvm or pvp) let me know.. im not talking about hacking or anything like that.. im talking about learning what skills go with what.. and how to manipulate suits and such for the best possible suit u can get

also if u are in need of any weaps/armor/items send me a pm and i can help in that area too...

S

Stupid Miner

Good to have you! need anything just PM me.

Btw, check out the LS Olympics on Friday. (there's a post about it somewhere in here)

Daga Taga

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can get a lot of help here by just asking here too. I had to leave this great game for 2 years (moved to a farm with no internet, and had to spend 2grand to get cable internet, yes I basically spent 2000 bucks on UO) and was lost again when I came back. This forum and the great people of LS helped me too. You will be a veteran before you know it. Don't forget the community hunts and other functions, this is a great way to learn from the veterans and fight monster above your level with the help of others. If you need anything just ask help is always close by. Welcome to Lake Superior!!!!

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome to UO and to LS.

For the questions you'll inevitably have, there's here on Stratics (useful information will be imparted in between the bitter cynicism you'll have to fight through), the online UO Playguide itself (which I am told has been revamped recently), and UOGUIDE.com (which is a wiki, having all the advantages and disadvantages of a wiki).

As to catching up? Well sure it's not easy, but it's way more possible than you think, related of course to how much per week you play. New Haven can be a good training spot for certain skills way past the "noob" point. People drop respectable equipment there (or in Luna) all the time. Just the other day I dropped some nice stuff. Skills are easier to gain than in the past; good equipment is more widely available.

Plenty of players never catch up and are perfectly content and have fun playing...But if you wish to and intend to spend a fair amount of time playing, there's good odds you'll be able to catch up sooner than you think.

Again, welcome.

-Galen's player

O

Old Man of UO

Since you are using the KR client, here is a bit of information that might help your game run a bit smoother and look better. It took me almost 3 months of (stubborn) play time for this new client to get its hooks in me, but I find it so much easier than the 2D client - now.

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=122985

If you need any help with the client, macro, or performance, ask, PM me or check out the Kingdom Reborn forum here on Stratics.

http://vboards.stratics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=281

I

Infiniti

Welcome to the wonderful world of Ultima Online and especially to Lake Superior. Have a drink of Luna's Home Brew,LOL. :pint:

M

Mythic

We are very happy to have you here with us. Welcome to Lake Superior! Oh hey wow Man i Just regognized your name, Your the guy that we got hooked up with a golum and some poison weapons for training purposes right? heh, memories not what it used to be. Anyway once again welcome to UO and LS.

M

Mythic

welcome welcome.. if ur ever interested in learning how to pick apart game mechanics and work them to your advantage (either pvm or pvp) let me know.. im not talking about hacking or anything like that.. im talking about learning what skills go with what.. and how to manipulate suits and such for the best possible suit u can get

also if u are in need of any weaps/armor/items send me a pm and i can help in that area too...
Dito.
Im not much for providing my Chars names here on stratics but if ya shoot me a PM I could be of some assistance on the PvP melee tactics and mechanics. My knowledge isnt as great on the spellcasting side of UO so dont ask me how to build a good mage heh. Im havin a heluva time putting together a few good suits for my 2 mages.

Lady Tia

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eppengaur, please pm or icq me. BEC would be glad to help you get back into the game. We have many vets that can help you!

T

tylerdurdn71

I havent played in a looong time but always loved LS community. played a few other shards and this was the best by far. My old account is dead so had to create a new startics one. My old one was Brodieman. prolly need to reactivate my account .

D

Dark Druid

Welcome to LS and UO.

There is alot of nice people on the game. If your looking for a good crew to run with Ozzy and his crew (PEER) are great. and so is BEC ( they been around for a while). If you need help with a suit or anything look for me around my main is Deathblows i would be more than happy to help yea out.

K

Kensai Tsunami

welcome!

we do have a strong community here on LS. its been that way ever since its creation. there are some fine guilds to hang out with too if thats what yer into. lots of cool folks hang at haven. and if you are looking for something to do, there are community hunts almost every day. gl and if you need anything just gimme a shout. always happy to help good ppl.

A

alaina123

Eppenguar welcome to uo and lake sup. i also play wow so i know the feeling, love the game but to me uo has much more to offer a player, i been here for 11 years in ls but now i mostly play in legends. here in ls i had TAN (The Amazon Nation). there are so many good players in ls i know you'll have a blast! good luck to you......*looks around* FOR THE HORDE!!! (Just had to get that out there)

Aroma

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sssshhhhhhh the cool crowd still hangs at west brit bank. Good place to take a break have some freindly chat get advice.

The east wall gang.