• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Newbie With Some Questions

G

Hello everyone!
Well I have enjoyed the Sims 2 games but also found a love for MMORPG games and when I realized that the Sims had gone "online" I was all excited. I realize this game has been out for awhile but I sorta just stumbled upon it. I do have several questions though and am hoping to get some help from those that remember when they were new.

1.) I noticed there was a free trial for EA-Land. What about all the other towns or are they all going to merge into one huge place called EA-Land?

2.) Is there a way to download the game and subscribe to it each month or do you have to go buy a physical copy?

3.) Do you still have to make sure your sim goes potty and eats when their green bar goes down? This was always a pain for me in the Sims 2 until I found the cheat for it
I hate being in the middle of something then having to rush home just to make a quick meal..

4.) Last but not least... any good advice for a new person who is fresh to the game?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post and I appreciate any feedback.

G

<blockquote><hr>

1.) I noticed there was a free trial for EA-Land. What about all the other towns or are they all going to merge into one huge place called EA-Land?
At the moment the cities are seperate, but merges are starting soon! The free trial is only available in TC3 at the moment, but soon we will have free accounts in EA-Land!

2.) Is there a way to download the game and subscribe to it each month or do you have to go buy a physical copy?
No need for a physical copy, you can download the game from the bottom of THIS page.

3.) Do you still have to make sure your sim goes potty and eats when their green bar goes down? This was always a pain for me in the Sims 2 until I found the cheat for it
I hate being in the middle of something then having to rush home just to make a quick meal..
Greening is a major part of TSO, and there are no cheats around it. No cheats for money either.

4.) Last but not least... any good advice for a new person who is fresh to the game?
Have fun. Don't worry about owning a house right away. Start of as a hobo! Save your money before even considering it. Find a place to be a roomie, maybe. The biggest mistake of newbies, imo, is that they rush out to buy a house. It is really not neccessary!

[/ QUOTE ]

G

Hi and welcome to the game! You came upon it during exciting times. You may want to read over the FAQ at the top of City Hall, its full of new and updated info.

<font color="blue"> Yes there is a free trial but at this point its restricted to test center 3, this is where we test all new updates before they get to EAL. You can find the trial download at www.thesimsonline.com. We are close to beginning the prosess of all cities except TC3 merging to EAL. </font>

<font color="blue"> See link above for download, you will get 2 weeks free to try it out, eventually we will have a free play acct. You may subscribe for $9.99 a month. </font>

3.) Do you still have to make sure your sim goes potty and eats when their green bar goes down? This was always a pain for me in the Sims 2 until I found the cheat for it I hate being in the middle of something then having to rush home just to make a quick meal..

<font color="blue"> Yes like other sim games we still have needs to maintain, except on residential lots. There are no cheats for TSO/EAL. However almost any property will offer you a place to green you sim, sometimes for a small fee. </font>

<font color="blue"> Starter tips for EA Land.....or how to have it all on §500 </font>

<font color="blue">Other useful links are www.TSO-e.com which is the dev blog, new information is found here, and www.game-blueprints.com which is the wiki set up by the devs for submitting designs that may someday make it into the game.</font>

See you in EA Land!

Edit: Funny Strike your always just slightly ahead of me today, I need to work on that

G

Wow thanks so much for such a quick response!

1.) So is there any sort of tutorial? I've played the Sims 2 games but it seems like TSO's game mechanics might be a bit different, especially since you suggested a good idea is to not buy a house right away..

2.) I guess then it's smart to just start out in EA-Land and stay there since that's where all the cities are going to be merging anyways correct?

3.) I've read a few times where people have mentioned timing out? Is this frequent or can you only play for so long at a given time?

4.) Also is there no full screen mode for the game?

Thanks again for your patience and help!!

G

<blockquote><hr>

1.) So is there any sort of tutorial? I've played the Sims 2 games but it seems like TSO's game mechanics might be a bit different, especially since you suggested a good idea is to not buy a house right away..
No tutorial, but lots of helpful players! The guides here on Stratics might help you when you're starting out, though.

2.) I guess then it's smart to just start out in EA-Land and stay there since that's where all the cities are going to be merging anyways correct?
EA-Land is where the action's at. If you start out in another city you will notice it is not very busy.

3.) I've read a few times where people have mentioned timing out? Is this frequent or can you only play for so long at a given time?
Timing out happens when you are away from your computer for a certain amount of time (15 minutes? I think.) As long as you are playing, you won't time out. If you do, just log back in and you're set to go!

4.) Also is there no full screen mode for the game?
There is at the moment, but it is being removed because of the changes the game is going through. You cannot resize the window when the game is open, but you can change the resolution to make the window bigger, prior to opening the game. For specifics see the thread about "NO MORE FULL SCREEN MODE"

[/ QUOTE ]

[Edited to answer #4]

G

So the trial account can only access the TC3 but a paid account would be able to access EA Land?

I

imported_Phoenix_Rising

<blockquote><hr>

So the trial account can only access the TC3 but a paid account would be able to access EA Land?

[/ QUOTE ]

Soon, if not already, yes.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's right.....and when the totally free accounts are brought into the picture they'll always be restricted to TC3, and you'll only get one avatar as opposed to the 6 TC3 avatars and 4 EA Land avatars that the premium players get. Which is still good that people that can't afford it can play somewhat, but the restrictions are so heavy that it's worth it to most people to just have the premium account if they can at all squeeze it out of the budget.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's right.....and when the totally free accounts are brought into the picture they'll always be restricted to TC3, and you'll only get one avatar as opposed to the 6 TC3 avatars and 4 EA Land avatars that the premium players get. Which is still good that people that can't afford it can play somewhat, but the restrictions are so heavy that it's worth it to most people to just have the premium account if they can at all squeeze it out of the budget.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true Carrie, ultimately free accts will be allowed access to EA Land, there will be restrictions on where in EA Land they can go. Theres more stuff to work out before this will happen tho. I had a log talk with Greg about this yesterday.

G

Welcome to Stratics and TSO.

If you have not seen the front page of Stratics, yet, you should check it out. There is a whole series of game guides to help you play the online game.

<font color="blue">The Sims Online - your first 24 hours!</font>, is a good one to start with, although it was written for production cities...which will soon be merged with EA Land.

There are guides for all aspects of TSO life, and if something comes up that isn't covered, there is lots of advice and information from fellow players, in the Tips, Tricks &amp; Tactics forum, too.

You have joined during some interesting times for the game.

G

Thank you all so much! I'm looking forward to it! So is EA-Land up and going yet or any idea when it will be? I'm on the trial right now and haven't had a chance to get in the game yet and play but I can definitely afford $9.99 a month if it's as fun and addicting as I notice most people find it.

Oh and when I try to subscribe to it for the monthly fee, it wants me to put in a registration code.. I don't have one.

G

Okay so I was able to register as a subscriber to the Sims Online, however, it won't let me subscribe to EA Land on the EA website without a registration code? Will that change once I've fulfilled all 14 days of my free trial? I still can't get into EA Land because I get that error that it's only accepting paid subscribers.

I

imported_Phoenix_Rising

<blockquote><hr>

Okay so I was able to register as a subscriber to the Sims Online, however, it won't let me subscribe to EA Land on the EA website without a registration code? Will that change once I've fulfilled all 14 days of my free trial? I still can't get into EA Land because I get that error that it's only accepting paid subscribers.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be receiving the registration code in the email you provided shortly. After you receive it, use the code to play. As of right now your account is not active, and your trial days are not expiring yet.

G

Ooh so I have to wait for a registration code? How long does that normally take? I just enetered in my cc info under the billing tab maybe 30 minutes ago but I installed the free trial last night and have been playing in TC3 some today.

G

Welcome to TSO Charlie! I'm a recent addition to the simverse, too!

After my free trial was over, I subscribed using the Game Time Card, which gives you 90 days for $29.99, since I didn't want a monthly subscription. Once the card number was submitted and applied to my account, I had full access to all the cities, and now to EA Land. I never had a specific registration code like you might get if you had to purchase the software, but once you've downloaded the trial, you have the game, so no software to buy!

G

Okay so if I'm not waiting for a registration code, what's stopping me from getting into EA Land? Is it that I have to wait for my trial to end? Is there a way to become a paid subscriber and getting into the full game without going through the trial?