• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A hypothetical question

What would you do?

• Total voters

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You log in to UO one day. All of your UO stuff is gone on all of your accounts. You still have your characters but not their gear. You still have your house(s). You still have your soulstones. Your account age has been set to 0 and you have no vet reward picks. Your stables are empty. All of your pets are gone.

What would you do?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Assuming this was a paid account the entire time, as your house would have fallen. Doesn't make sense that anything would be gone, the server backs up everything, unless it's told to skip some stuff, or someone deleted them prior to backup. Your post is the first I've ever read about account age being set to 0, in 24 yrs. Assuming this is a hypothetical event.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
That happened to me....not once but twice. My fault...I let a friend use the account. Lost a lot of EM items, rares etc. I'm still here! I didn't loose EVERYTHING, only the stuff he could sell for a lot of gold lol.

I actually do that a lot on shards I don't play on....build a new character from scratch...it's fun for me. I don't ask for gold or even a cheap lrc suit.

I did that on Origin when it first opened. For me...it's the game that keeps me here, not the stuff...though I hate losing stuff.

I think the one thing I hated losing the most was the 6 rift pillars I got myself......I miss my rift pillars :( lol

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Assuming this was a paid account the entire time, as your house would have fallen. Doesn't make sense that anything would be gone, the server backs up everything, unless it's told to skip some stuff, or someone deleted them prior to backup. Your post is the first I've ever read about account age being set to 0, in 24 yrs.
It's hypothetical Garth, as stated in the title of the thread.

Last edited:

JaxxVain

Adventurer
I would definitely rebuild, that's the fun of the game. Getting that special item, is a bigger joy than having it.

That said, I am just a EJ account right now, and I was extremely disappointed, though not surprised, that I could not re-activate my 15+ year old account. I can barely remember my current passwords, much less one I created 23 years ago.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have a keep on ATL filled with crap... most of it I just don't feel like going through so that would probably do me a favor. That said the no vet rewards would be rough as I like my Davies locker/Light house/Pirate carpet (and ethys).

I'd probably end up selling my keep for 100's of mils and using that money to buy some gear and just downsize. I'd probably play less than I do now and go to a paying by month though if I didn't have some of those easy features (and would no longer have a keep I felt like I had to keep from falling).

I'd liken it to if you started working at Burger King 23 years ago as a cashier making minimum wage and enjoying the free burgers. You worked hard and became management and eventually corporate level management making 6 figures; living like a (buger) King! Then the company goes bankrupt (downsizes) and you lose your position but they offer you a job back at the counter. At that point you are close enough to retirement so you decide to take the job at the counter for minimum wage mainly for those free burgers....and you work 1 day a week :hahaha:

Last edited:

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You log in to UO one day. All of your UO stuff is gone on all of your accounts. You still have your characters but not their gear. You still have your house(s). You still have your soulstones. Your account age has been set to 0 and you have no vet reward picks. Your stables are empty. All of your pets are gone.

What would you do?
That happend to me in 2003 besides the account age. Loged in after shard up and my house that was blocking a castle spot was gone and a castle was there. The guy who placed it kept telling me he would get it. He owned the other spots. Blocking the placement. I lost alot of Rares and Seer items. After a week dealing with customer service I just closed the accounts and it toke me almost 6 years to come back.

If that happend to me once more I would sell my house spots if I still have them then sell the gold and delete all chars from account so I have no idea to come back again

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been known to start an account from scratch (using an old buddy code or just new) it is quite fun. if i did lose the main accounts I have, i wouldn't miss a beat, i'd start playing and slowly build back up. of course since i have very little time to play (read none) i'd be forever in getting back to where i was. the stuff isn't important, it's the friends we have in-game that matter.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Few points here.

It's not just a matter of "would you rebuild or quit." This could be a major account security issue were it to actually happen. You'd need to figure out how it happened and fix it, or it could happen again. It could of course also be a major house security issue. Or a major bug. But either way it's not as simple as the binary choice of "continue or not."

Also some of what you've lost might be of sentimental value, might represent friends or family (the literal kind or the figurative kind). There's no amount of rebuilding that can correct for that.

Also starting with literally nothing isn't the same as "start with a new character, new account, and see what happens." New characters have stuff, always have. To test this I just made a new character on Siege. I logged in and had basic equipment and the game started me not in the middle of nowhere in an empty house, but in an inn in Britain, right by a mask. No gold but that basic equipment is a lot different from starting with literally nothing. Think about what you'd have to do: start killing things by hand so you can get some basic equipment, Skyrim-style? Do-able to be sure, especially if you have Bushido because Bushido's Lightning Strike move will work with your fists.

Do-able. But, unlike Skyrim, this game isn't set up to facilitate this.

I guess you could go to Haven, and see if there's stuff left for noobs there, or similarly go to Luna for the same purpose, or otherwise try to procure things from other players, but I remember the story of a noob who got a lot of advice and equipment and the result was folks right here on Stratics complaining about it vociferously. I could easily imagine something similar happening here with this situation. "I rebuilt with help from my friends and my shard's community." "N0oB u 5uK! d0 1t uR531F k0mM1e!" Don't think this would happen? Perhaps not, but it's more possible than you're thinking.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I, for one, don't have a UO empire. Rather I have, though a combination of factors, a certain level of competence and ability to make a certain contribution in the game world. And yes, it would be bad if someone else's trickery, or a bug, or a lack of security would cost me that. And, yes, combined with other factors, it might make me question if isn't more worth it starting over in a different world instead of this same one.

I probably would stay, but it certainly wouldn't be to prove myself to anyone. And, yes, it would permanently damage my relationship to the game and, by extension, the people I know from it. (After all, what if it was one of them? What if it was their account's security, not my own, that was at issue? Nothing I can do to guard against that, really.)

But, if this were to occur and it was someone else doing it, that would be the real point, wouldn't it.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Many of use will start from scratch when NL comes out. But, losing all on LS would not be fun for me.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
But either way it's not as simple as the binary choice of "continue or not."
I was going to make a "go to the forums to whine about it and tell everyone you are going to quit but then don't actually quit" option, but since 90% of people would pick that one, I just went with the binary options.

Anyway, the data I'm collecting and your comments are very helpful, so please keep them coming!

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd rebuild.

I enjoy farming to regather all the stocks of stuff, so no issue there.

The gear is all rubbish imo anyway, so I wouldn't miss it lol, just have to rebuild.

One thing that really bugged me awhile ago, my insured gloves fell off, and ruined the entire balance of my suit, that was potentially more annoying than losing the entire suit.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Tabula rasa. Building from the ground up is fun for me. But the degree of reaction/difficulty accepting the loss of everything I've worked for, for 25 years, would depend on the reason why everything is gone. If it only happened to me I'd be furious for a while and have one helluva tantrum. Then I would settle down knowing that friends are there waiting for me with gear and whatever I want to get back to playing the game. The only thing that would stay with me over time is the sadness of those items lost that were one of a kinds and will never be seen in game again.

To be honest there are times when I wish that everything could be wiped. But then I think of the scripters who would end up being the Haves while the rest of us who play, just to play, would be the have nots. There would be no level playing ground.

Lord Ron Fellows

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Few points here.

It's not just a matter of "would you rebuild or quit." This could be a major account security issue were it to actually happen. You'd need to figure out how it happened and fix it, or it could happen again. It could of course also be a major house security issue. Or a major bug. But either way it's not as simple as the binary choice of "continue or not."

Also some of what you've lost might be of sentimental value, might represent friends or family (the literal kind or the figurative kind). There's no amount of rebuilding that can correct for that.

Also starting with literally nothing isn't the same as "start with a new character, new account, and see what happens." New characters have stuff, always have. To test this I just made a new character on Siege. I logged in and had basic equipment and the game started me not in the middle of nowhere in an empty house, but in an inn in Britain, right by a mask. No gold but that basic equipment is a lot different from starting with literally nothing. Think about what you'd have to do: start killing things by hand so you can get some basic equipment, Skyrim-style? Do-able to be sure, especially if you have Bushido because Bushido's Lightning Strike move will work with your fists.

Do-able. But, unlike Skyrim, this game isn't set up to facilitate this.

I guess you could go to Haven, and see if there's stuff left for noobs there, or similarly go to Luna for the same purpose, or otherwise try to procure things from other players, but I remember the story of a noob who got a lot of advice and equipment and the result was folks right here on Stratics complaining about it vociferously. I could easily imagine something similar happening here with this situation. "I rebuilt with help from my friends and my shard's community." "N0oB u 5uK! d0 1t uR531F k0mM1e!" Don't think this would happen? Perhaps not, but it's more possible than you're thinking.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I, for one, don't have a UO empire. Rather I have, though a combination of factors, a certain level of competence and ability to make a certain contribution in the game world. And yes, it would be bad if someone else's trickery, or a bug, or a lack of security would cost me that. And, yes, combined with other factors, it might make me question if isn't more worth it starting over in a different world instead of this same one.

I probably would stay, but it certainly wouldn't be to prove myself to anyone. And, yes, it would permanently damage my relationship to the game and, by extension, the people I know from it. (After all, what if it was one of them? What if it was their account's security, not my own, that was at issue? Nothing I can do to guard against that, really.)

But, if this were to occur and it was someone else doing it, that would be the real point, wouldn't it.
Why are you yelling at me?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Many of use will start from scratch when NL comes out. But, losing all on LS would not be fun for me.
That is like you going to SP and you are doing it willingly but to lose everything including your account age, that is something that can only be done at EAs or BSs level of access to your account.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Would there still be cozy fires and a supply of Good Old Moonglow Red? I'd be fine. Foraging for reagents while hiking from town to town is a common occurrence. The clean house would be an awesome start as well.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Been there. Considering how much time I put into UO in the past, I don't think rebuilding is actually a viable choice. Like 9 out of 10 people who made the journey enjoyable have quit long before me anyway. So I keep the good memories and don't fool myself waiting for the good old days that are long gone. There are just too many other games these days and regarding UO i was barely doing anything but herding my pixel junk. I also never upped my real life income with selling UO stuff for $$$. I guess if I made some dollars I would tell some fairytales and rebuild though lol.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
After being in shock I"d probably try to figure out just how the heck that happened... change all passwords, emails and all that and EMail Mesanna asking her to figure out just WTF happened to my account before getting really, peeved and quitting... though depending on the account I probably have that all copied and sort of saved by now and .... that would just be another nail in the coffin...

I had someone who was a friend sell his account and that person completely emptied one of my homes... I cried for a long while but knew that was my own fault for having him friended to my home there... so that was on me. That one hurt very badly as they took all the gifts I had gotten from friends and took the only copy I had of a play one of my friends who quit wrote... and without any way to contact him there is no getting that back... lost forever.... which I'm still very sad about to this day. But that didn't stop me... I still went on... however anymore I don't think I care enough to start all over again.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How can you do anything to drop your account age to zero, there is NOTHING you can do to do that, it would have to be done by EA or BS/UO reps that have access to account management and I call BULLPUCKY that anyone would stick around after getting everything wiped and you account sent back to day one. So everyone is saying that they would forgive EA/BS for wiping everything again I say BULLPUCKY. Remember EA/BS does not replace anything in game and that would probably include your account age.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
How can you do anything to drop your account age to zero, there is NOTHING you can do to do that, it would have to be done by EA or BS/UO reps that have access to account management and I call BULLPUCKY that anyone would stick around after getting everything wiped and you account sent back to day one. So everyone is saying that they would forgive EA/BS for wiping everything again I say BULLPUCKY. Remember EA/BS does not replace anything in game and that would probably include your account age.
The only reason I included returning account age to 0 months in my little hypothetical scenario is because I imagined people thinking they could just wait less than a year to acquire some vet reward to sell for whatever the expensive ones sell for these days. I get what you are saying but it's really not the point. The point of the post is simply to satisfy my curiosity as to what percentage of the population actually enjoys playing the game vs how many mainly just keep their accounts open because they are "married" to their pixel junk. Had I just asked players if they are married to their UO junk, the results would be even more skewed than I already believe them to be. Leave it to the UO community to go off searching for reasons for impossible hypothetical situations to occur rather than simply reflect on why they answered the question the way that they did.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The only reason I included returning account age to 0 months in my little hypothetical scenario is because I imagined people thinking they could just wait less than a year to acquire some vet reward to sell for whatever the expensive ones sell for these days. I get what you are saying but it's really not the point. The point of the post is simply to satisfy my curiosity as to what percentage of the population actually enjoys playing the game vs how many mainly just keep their accounts open because they are "married" to their pixel junk. Had I just asked players if they are married to their UO junk, the results would be even more skewed than I already believe them to be. Leave it to the UO community to go off searching for reasons for impossible hypothetical situations to occur rather than simply reflect on why they answered the question the way that they did.
As I already have explained, however, it's about more than just "pixel junk" (your term) -- it's about being able to make a contribution to the in-game world at a certain level, and/or having a status in the in-game world at a certain level, and/or having a physical record of what our characters have done or accomplished, and/or records or momentos of a character's relationships with other characters and players, etc.

If one's character is a rares dealer by trade then "putting together a big deal to get this uber-rare item" would be an "accomplishment" for a character of that occupation. Having a one-of-a-kind in-game wedding ring would be a physical record of your character's wedding.

One of my characters has an Imbued shield that was designed specifically to work with his armor, one of my characters has a looted shield that, by pure coincidence, works perfectly with a suit of armor he has that's partly Imbued, partly loot, and partly artifacts. That, to a player such as myself, isn't just pixel junk. Rather these are tools by which my characters make a contribution to the in-game world.

There are lots of possibilities.

While not impossible to replace by starting from literally zero, it would be problematic to replace starting from literally zero, and having to start from literally zero would be a sign of something very seriously wrong -- seriously wrong enough that it would be worth the effort to reconsider my overall connection to the in-game world.

You make no attempt to hide your playstyle and intentions. The fact that this playstyle exists is part of the reason that Trammel exists and the reason why, to this very day, everyone needs to be careful about who has access to what under what conditions.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As I already have explained, however, it's about more than just "pixel junk" (your term) -- it's about being able to make a contribution to the in-game world at a certain level, and/or having a status in the in-game world at a certain level, and/or having a physical record of what our characters have done or accomplished, and/or records or momentos of a character's relationships with other characters and players, etc.

If one's character is a rares dealer by trade then "putting together a big deal to get this uber-rare item" would be an "accomplishment" for a character of that occupation. Having a one-of-a-kind in-game wedding ring would be a physical record of your character's wedding.

One of my characters has an Imbued shield that was designed specifically to work with his armor, one of my characters has a looted shield that, by pure coincidence, works perfectly with a suit of armor he has that's partly Imbued, partly loot, and partly artifacts. That, to a player such as myself, isn't just pixel junk. Rather these are tools by which my characters make a contribution to the in-game world.

There are lots of possibilities.

While not impossible to replace by starting from literally zero, it would be problematic to replace starting from literally zero, and having to start from literally zero would be a sign of something very seriously wrong -- seriously wrong enough that it would be worth the effort to reconsider my overall connection to the in-game world.

You make no attempt to hide your playstyle and intentions. The fact that this playstyle exists is part of the reason that Trammel exists and the reason why, to this very day, everyone needs to be careful about who has access to what under what conditions.
I am not so dense that I don't understand people's relationships with their pixel junk. My intentions are only to satisfy my curiosity as to how many are so invested in their pixel junk that they would no longer want to play if it was gone. Though I believe the data has been skewed, I feel like I now have a better understanding. Also, you have given me a new idea for an evil scheme to relieve others of their pixel junk and bring them one step closer to freedom. I will make sure to credit you in the resulting post if it ever comes to fruition. You're one of the few people I actually like, and now I like you just a little bit more. ;)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I love playing UO and I have 23 years of memories stored in my Tram castle and you are asking me that if EA/BS/UO wiped my entire account including my account age if I would still support that company. IMHO that would be a very cold hearted act on the part of EA/BS/UO that I could no longer support and anybody that says that they could support a company after that really needs to look inside themselves and ask just how cold hearted they are themselves when they support such a cold hearted act by another. There are a lot of things I will not support others doing so I do not do those type of things myself. I myself can already see the hypocrisy in your hypothetical question, are you in fact trying to justify your play style as a murder and a thief. It is ok for EA/BS/UO to steal everything I have worked years to get so it must be ok for me to do the same.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I love playing UO and I have 23 years of memories stored in my Tram castle and you are asking me that if EA/BS/UO wiped my entire account including my account age if I would still support that company. IMHO that would be a very cold hearted act on the part of EA/BS/UO that I could no longer support and anybody that says that they could support a company after that really needs to look inside themselves and ask just how cold hearted they are themselves when they support such a cold hearted act by another. There are a lot of things I will not support others doing so I do not do those type of things myself. I myself can already see the hypocrisy in your hypothetical question, are you in fact trying to justify your play style as a murder and a thief. It is ok for EA/BS/UO to steal everything I have worked years to get so it must be ok for me to do the same.
I assure you that I have already come to terms with the things I do. I need no further justification.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Would there still be cozy fires and a supply of Good Old Moonglow Red? I'd be fine. Foraging for reagents while hiking from town to town is a common occurrence. The clean house would be an awesome start as well.
If you would like me to clean your house, it is one of the services that I offer.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I couldn't stay and rebuild. My husband and I have two accts that have been open since beta, and two that are just a few months shy of beta accts, again, never been closed. We both are recently back to the game after a 4 yr break for him, 3 yrs for me. We did question why we payed for the accts while not playing and it came down to the knowing how old the accts were and history for us. If we lost that on our accts, I don't think we'd stay. Oh, and the 125+ vet rewards we'd lose. LOL

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

What would you do?
Steal your stuff then quit :p

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think it would depend on if I still have friends to play with. Starting over I could probably do if I had some friends willing to help get past that starter grind. Now if it's a lone wolf, you have no support network... I'm leaning toward no unless I had some other support network that could get me started that I was willing to use ;)

I'm discounting NL from this thought process as that's essentially everybody starting off on a level playing field - so I think that alters the hypothetical beyond what you've outlined above as the parameters.

Ning

Journeyman
I've left and rebuilt a few times. As long as my characters are intact I'll be fine. I left once for DAoC and Ebayed off my castle, towers, rares and such. Came back later and in a couple months had another castle and plenty of stuff. Then I got preoccupied playing Planetside and let that one IDOC. I came back in October after 15 years away and have a nice keep right outside Cove, plenty of stuff and, and more gold than I know what to do with. Money and stuff can always be replaced, the characters are the investment.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Folks, I had to do some thread clean up here to remove some trolling and bickering. Please stay on topic with out getting overly personal.
Well there is nothing Hypothetical about that now is there.....

*Flips the page in the book he is reading and tosses another log onto the fire*

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I am not so dense that I don't understand people's relationships with their pixel junk. My intentions are only to satisfy my curiosity as to how many are so invested in their pixel junk that they would no longer want to play if it was gone. Though I believe the data has been skewed, I feel like I now have a better understanding. Also, you have given me a new idea for an evil scheme to relieve others of their pixel junk and bring them one step closer to freedom. I will make sure to credit you in the resulting post if it ever comes to fruition. You're one of the few people I actually like, and now I like you just a little bit more. ;)
The technique of griefing other players by feigning friendship and alliance then stealing their stuff, killing them, or otherwise impinging upon their gameplay, and thus weakening their ties to the game and blaming them for it, is not new. There was a whole Internet site, called "Felucca's Revenge," based on it. The site was promoted by UO Powergamers as I recall. Former Stratics mod Scoundrel Rico spoke openly about doing it. A Fel guild on LS, I forget which one, bragged of having spies in every other guild on the shard that they used for the purpose. At around the same time, another Fel guild on LS, again I forget which one, kept an open journal on Stratics about how they were going to destroy an unnamed Trammel guild in such a manner. The technique, its supporting ideas, and the refusal to take serious action against either, are all as sad as they are perennial.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The technique of griefing other players by feigning friendship and alliance then stealing their stuff, killing them, or otherwise impinging upon their gameplay, and thus weakening their ties to the game and blaming them for it, is not new. There was a whole Internet site, called "Felucca's Revenge," based on it. The site was promoted by UO Powergamers as I recall. Former Stratics mod Scoundrel Rico spoke openly about doing it. A Fel guild on LS, I forget which one, bragged of having spies in every other guild on the shard that they used for the purpose. At around the same time, another Fel guild on LS, again I forget which one, kept an open journal on Stratics about how they were going to destroy an unnamed Trammel guild in such a manner. The technique, its supporting ideas, and the refusal to take serious action against either, are all as sad as they are perennial.
What's your point? I've been doing that forever. A player's ties to the game are no concern of mine. It's not my job as a player to care how players feel about a game. You're right that it's nothing new to do that, but I never mentioned doing that in any of my posts in this thread.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Still have house and soulstones? I'd rebuild. Soulstones emptied? Rebuild.
House gone and soulstones gone too? I'd have to think about that.
-L