• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A few suggestions about changes to the new system I would like

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1)
First of all, could the the top Bar where on the left are the links for "Home, Forums, Members, Help, FAQs" and on the right side the links for "user, Inbox, Alerts, Log" be customizable ?
For example, since I prefer browsing at 800x600 the right part of the Bar is out of my screen and I have to scroll to the right in order to access the links for "user, Inbox, Alerts, Log". Since I noticed that in the middle there is a bunch of space available, I could move the right side links over to the left together with the other ones and so avoid having to scroll rightwards in order to check my inbox or whatever.

2)
Another thing I would like, is having the "Preview" button right by the post button without having to first have to click the "More Options" one thus force me into a 2 steps process to preview my post before posting it.

3)
I also enjoyed the fast visual check of the old system with a green or blue dot to immediately show whether a poster was logged on Stratics or not. I understand the information is still available under the new system but apparently is not current to the moment I look it up (I seem to read it as referred to in a past tense rather than present tense even if the user is currently logged and not offline). Bottom line is, I liked the green and blue dots........

4)
As in regards the Box which pops up when clicking on the link under a user's avatar, are the text and background colors customizable ? I am asking, because I am having a problem with such a Box. The background color, at least on my screen, is such that I cannot read some of the text that is of a darkish blue, unless I highlight it dragging the mouse over it since the highlighting makes the text white and shine over the dark background.
Without the highlighting, the blueish color of the text blends in the dark background and I cannot read it. Is there a way to change that box colors' settings ? How ?

5)
I understand that we now have a 'quick navigation' dialogue, accessed by clicking on the little diagonal arrow at the right hand side, top and bottom of the forum, replacing the "Jump Forum" button which we had before.
Is there a way to shorten the list to only display the UO related Forums on Stratics so has to avoid having, once clicked the 'quick navigation' arrow, to have to scroll down all of Stratics Forums in order to get to the Ultima Online related ones ?
What I would like to do, is a fast jump to some other UO Forum I might be interested like click arrow, scroll only just a few lines among the UO related Stratics' Forums and therefore go there right away.
I would like this UO Forums limited list also with the "Forum" link at the top navigation Bar, when I access it as it is now, it displays me all of Stratics' Forums and I have to do quite a lot of scrolling each time to get to the UO ones. When I am accessing UOStratics and not the General Stratics, I would like to be able to limit the list to only the Ultima Online related Forums so as to reduce the scrolling I have to do....
Should I then want to browse the general Stratics' community, I would exit the UOStratics environment and thus be able to access the complete list of Stratics' Forums for all games hosted.
But when I am browsing Stratics for UO, I'd like to only read UO Forums and not all of the general list.

6)
With the older system, when editing a post, under the advaced options I oculd be able to also edit the title of the post. I cannot seem to find such a feature with the new system (no advanced editing options under the Edit or More Options buttons...) and I cannot seem to edit the title of a post.
I would like to see this feature back.

That's for now what comes up to my mind, as I will get used to the new system perhaps other things will come to my mind.
Thanks !

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
1)
First of all, could the the top Bar where on the left are the links for "Home, Forums, Members, Help, FAQs" and on the right side the links for "user, Inbox, Alerts, Log" be customizable ?
For example, since I prefer browsing at 800x600 the right part of the Bar is out of my screen and I have to scroll to the right in order to access the links for "user, Inbox, Alerts, Log". Since I noticed that in the middle there is a bunch of space available, I could move the right side links over to the left together with the other ones and so avoid having to scroll rightwards in order to check my inbox or whatever.
2)
Another thing I would like, is having the "Preview" button right by the post button without having to first have to click the "More Options" one thus force me into a 2 steps process to preview my post before posting it.
Unfortunately, I don't have a way to accomplish these things right now. The navigation bar depends on how the style's author arranges it and nobody on staff has the knowledge to build styles from scratch. If you find a XenForo style that you like, I can weigh the possibility of adding it. The fact that there's no preview in the quick reply is just a XenForo feature. Instead of typing your reply into the quick reply box, consider clicking "More Options" every time you start a post.

3)
I also enjoyed the fast visual check of the old system with a green or blue dot to immediately show whether a poster was logged on Stratics or not. I understand the information is still available under the new system but apparently is not current to the moment I look it up (I seem to read it as referred to in a past tense rather than present tense even if the user is currently logged and not offline). Bottom line is, I liked the green and blue dots........
This may be possible. I'll keep an eye out for a plugin that does this.

4)
As in regards the Box which pops up when clicking on the link under a user's avatar, are the text and background colors customizable ? I am asking, because I am having a problem with such a Box. The background color, at least on my screen, is such that I cannot read some of the text that is of a darkish blue, unless I highlight it dragging the mouse over it since the highlighting makes the text white and shine over the dark background.
Without the highlighting, the blueish color of the text blends in the dark background and I cannot read it. Is there a way to change that box colors' settings ? How ?
Yes, I can change the text color. Which style are you using?

5)
I understand that we now have a 'quick navigation' dialogue, accessed by clicking on the little diagonal arrow at the right hand side, top and bottom of the forum, replacing the "Jump Forum" button which we had before.
Is there a way to shorten the list to only display the UO related Forums on Stratics so has to avoid having, once clicked the 'quick navigation' arrow, to have to scroll down all of Stratics Forums in order to get to the Ultima Online related ones ?
What I would like to do, is a fast jump to some other UO Forum I might be interested like click arrow, scroll only just a few lines among the UO related Stratics' Forums and therefore go there right away.
I would like this UO Forums limited list also with the "Forum" link at the top navigation Bar, when I access it as it is now, it displays me all of Stratics' Forums and I have to do quite a lot of scrolling each time to get to the UO ones. When I am accessing UOStratics and not the General Stratics, I would like to be able to limit the list to only the Ultima Online related Forums so as to reduce the scrolling I have to do....
Should I then want to browse the general Stratics' community, I would exit the UOStratics environment and thus be able to access the complete list of Stratics' Forums for all games hosted.
But when I am browsing Stratics for UO, I'd like to only read UO Forums and not all of the general list.
Unfortunately, I can change this. However, the quick navigation box opens to the category where you're posting. If you bookmark the UO Stratics category and open the quick navigation box, you will already be scrolled down to the UO sections.

6)
With the older system, when editing a post, under the advaced options I oculd be able to also edit the title of the post. I cannot seem to find such a feature with the new system (no advanced editing options under the Edit or More Options buttons...) and I cannot seem to edit the title of a post.
I would like to see this feature back.
The ability to edit thread titles and prefixes is scheduled to be released with a future version of XenForo. I agree that this is needed.

S

Sevin0oo0

I was gonna add the already mentioned 'Preview Button'. I didn't know if you were asking for ideas with the current revision and/or ideas , as feedback, for possible future options to be incorporated.

the other thought i had was w/ the new FAQ - a CONTACT US section, who/how to Call/write/IM/twitter/FB/etc about various issues, both game and board related, and which contact is "Preferred" if more than one, ie. Messanna has 2 emails.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I was gonna add the already mentioned 'Preview Button'. I didn't know if you were asking for ideas with the current revision and/or ideas , as feedback, for possible future options to be incorporated.

the other thought i had was w/ the new FAQ - a CONTACT US section, who/how to Call/write/IM/twitter/FB/etc about various issues, both game and board related, and which contact is "Preferred" if more than one, ie. Messanna has 2 emails.
Both current and future suggestions are invited. If we can improve it, I will try. If we can't, we'll look for solutions down the road.

We have a "contact us" link near the bottom of the forums that will reach all admins (me, stephen, petra, mags, andra, airmid). However, I would really like to develop a better staff directory with contact info. I've added a senior staff section to the faq, so at least folks know who deals with what.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First of all thanks for your quick reply.

By replying to your post, I noticed something else which will be my 7th suggestion.
I wanted to reply to your post but also quoting my post. With the old system there were 2 reply buttons, one just quoting the poster I was replying to, and the other being able to "Quote all" thus including also the previous quote.

Well, under this new system I seem not to be able to quote all, I just can quote the last poster I am replying to. Would it be possible to bring back the ability to quote all again ?

Unfortunately, I don't have a way to accomplish these things right now. The navigation bar depends on how the style's author arranges it and nobody on staff has the knowledge to build styles from scratch. If you find a XenForo style that you like, I can weigh the possibility of adding it. The fact that there's no preview in the quick reply is just a XenForo feature. Instead of typing your reply into the quick reply box, consider clicking "More Options" every time you start a post.
I guess I have not much of another option then to do the 2 step process it is now, going into the "More options". I hope it will be possible though in the future to add an extra button for the preview thus skipping the extra step it takes now.

Yes, I can change the text color. Which style are you using?
I am using the UO-Classic. Some text strings are in a dark bluish coloring and they blend in too much with the background color to make it difficult to read on my screen.
From your reply, though, I take it that this is not something that each individual user might be able to customize to his/her own liking.........

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Ok, changed the member card text. Is that better?

On the users online point, just head to the index page and look for the "Members Online" box. That is a much quicker look than scrolling through threads looking for green dots. All online users listed in one place. Open two tabs if, desired.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, changed the member card text. Is that better?
Yes, thanks, it improved much BUT, the last part of the last line.
For example, when I check your member card I can read it all up to the line :
Syrus was last seen:
Engaged in conversation, 54 minutes ago
The part which I still cannot read unless I highlight it, is the "54 minutes ago" which is still dark text on a dark background.

On the users online point, just head to the index page and look for the "Members Online" box. That is a much quicker look than scrolling through threads looking for green dots. All online users listed in one place. Open two tabs if, desired.
I understand that but sometimes, I would just like to know if a specific Stratics user is logged at a glance. Sure, I can view it off a list of all logged users but I was just saying that I appreciated a lot the old system which showed a green dot for user online or a blue one for user off line from Stratics by their name.
It was a right away visual check in no time.