• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A few questions I have that I wanted to ask in live stream....

Dag Nabbit

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
...but my questions were 'scrolled off' by those that needed to hear the guy in the back say "mama mia". :eyes:

*What all skills will be available in SotA?

*What about races in SotA? Will we see Juka and Meer maybe?

*How interactive will the world be? I and others asked if there will be fishing and gardening,but didn't get an answer. "mama mia"

*How much customization will be available to us when it comes to housing and our avatars?

*PvP. How required/forced will this aspect of the game be? Will the 'end-game' content be a open pvp zone so if my miner needs some high end ore or item to make a good sword,I should be prepared to be killed/dry looted in attempts to play the current end content?

Last edited:

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think many of your questions will be answered when the game is near completion. RG is just giving a tatse of what is to come and many directions that the game may go is not finalized yet. When he has more of a direction he wants to go as many game company do anymore, then they will talk about their features of the game.

Last edited:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
...but my questions were 'scrolled off' by those that needed to hear the guy in the back say "mama mia". :eyes:

*What all skills will be available in SotA?

*What about races in SotA? Will we see Juka and Meer maybe?

*How interactive will the world be? I and others asked if there will be fishing and gardening,but didn't get an answer. "mama mia"

*How much customization will be available to us when it comes to housing and our avatars?

*PvP. How required/forced will this aspect of the game be? Will the 'end-game' content be a open pvp zone so if my miner needs some high end ore or item to make a good sword,I should be prepared to be killed/dry looted in attempts to play the current end content?

I know the answer to the last one. Open PvP is off the table for now, the PvP aspects will all be tied into a Bounty system, where if you take quests from the bad guys a bounty may be put on you and flags you for PvP.

We talked about it during the Interview we had the other night.

Last edited:

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I wonder if the PvP quests will warn you in the quest description before you say "yes" or "no".

Also in the interview yesterday, he mentioned that an NPC may ask about something which may be an important quest or completely forgot about... I wonder if or how this will be done in a way to minimize the spoiler effect of game sites (such as Stratics, Incgamers, Wikis, etc).

I wonder what LB/Portalarium's stance on RMT will be. He seems like he takes the concept in stride and doesn't knee-jerk against it the way some other people/companies have, but I haven't seen anything other than talking about sales of UO homes on ebay and selling housing in SOTA through Kickstarter.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I've long been and am still of the opinion that if there ARE player races that they should be cosmetic in design only, no special powers, stats, or whatever. Maybe give them their own "lands", but there shouldn't be a reason to pick one race over another based on stats or abilities.

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If there were different races I'm not against stat or certain ability differences between them if they make obvious sense (I mean if you were playing an ogre or giant, you should be stronger). But mostly I am in favour of getting different ingame reactions from NPCs and such based on your race if appropriate.

But really I am fine with human-centric RPGs and in such a case there is no reason for stat differences and the like I think.

Dag Nabbit

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
If there will only be the human species,I hope he gives us a lot of options of what our avatars look like,and not the cookie-cutter paperdolls we have in UO.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Another I wonder...

I wonder if the NPCs in settlements, on the roads, in shops, etc will have schedules, places that they live, sleep, work, etc. or will they be the static "always-awake and in one spot" that has plagued RPGs. NPCs having schedules and "lives" made them seem much more alive in the Ultima series than they do in UO, WoW or whatever other RPG since where you have them in a small "wandering" area (UO), standing in one location forever (vendor NPCs in EVERYTHING), or have a select few following a scripted pathway endlessly (WoW, etc).

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was a game my daughter played that the NPC would go to sleep and your character had to sleep and eat. I keep thinking Animal Crossing but I think it was another.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Some answers to my own questioons have been put out so far...

I wonder if the PvP quests will warn you in the quest description before you say "yes" or "no".
Answer here is "yes". You'll be warned about PvP enabled quests... and everyone else will be notified that you're on it!

I wonder what LB/Portalarium's stance on RMT will be. He seems like he takes the concept in stride and doesn't knee-jerk against it the way some other people/companies have, but I haven't seen anything other than talking about sales of UO homes on ebay and selling housing in SOTA through Kickstarter.
Markee Dragon asked about this one and RG seems to be if not supportive then at the least not antagonistic about it. Probably going to have more of a UO approach of non-interference rather than D3's in-game RMAH approach.

I wonder if the NPCs in settlements, on the roads, in shops, etc will have schedules, places that they live, sleep, work, etc. or will they be the static "always-awake and in one spot" that has plagued RPGs.
Apparently this one is still being worked out.

BenK

Visitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran

*What all skills will be available in SotA? - I would guess similar to early UO. Skills which have been specifically mentioned to date include weapons, magery, lumberjacking, mining, blacksmithing and thievery.

*What about races in SotA? Will we see Juka and Meer maybe? - I don't think there will be races persay, the 2 main paths are warrior / wizard but akin to UO there will be a huge variety of skills to create a truly customised character of your own.

*How interactive will the world be? I and others asked if there will be fishing and gardening,but didn't get an answer. "mama mia" - “..if something looks like it should be interactive, it should be interactive and we’ll do this as much” Richard Garriott

*How much customization will be available to us when it comes to housing and our avatars? - A few bits if info: "Players may choose to follow the life of the adventurer or, if they prefer, focus on exploration and discovery." Psychological profiling, used in the Ultima series, to decide your character’s skills and starting equipment is likely to be featured.

*PvP. How required/forced will this aspect of the game be? Will the 'end-game' content be a open pvp zone so if my miner needs some high end ore or item to make a good sword,I should be prepared to be killed/dry looted in attempts to play the current end content? - Incentive based PVP: “We don’t want to do open PvP like we did in UO, but we also don’t want to do opt-in PvP, like going to a shard that is a PvP shard, we don’t have shards, we don’t want to do that, we don’t want to have to have a flag that you set or that if you’re evil you’re set to PvP. We’re thinking that we’ll make it story-based”
Hi Dag Nabbit, I put some comments against each of your questions; hope it helps. Check out the "Gameplay" section over on the Stratics SotA site: http://sota.stratics.com/gameplay/