• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A few notes about the 1V1 PvP tournament.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
First, pots in a mage duel are dumb.

Second, you cant tell a dexxer he cant use apples against a mystic (no matter how much i dislike sykes that wasnt fair).

Third you cant change the rules in the middle of a duel because its "taking too long".

Fourth, there was some confusion regarding the time this was taking place. We need a better way to inform players other than going to a website. Probably over 90% of the playerbase doesn't regularly check the website. Notification of events on this shard is terrible.

There should have been a way to sign up for the tournament before tonight so that everyone who wanted to participate could have.

But whatever.

Thanks for trying.

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fourth, there was some confusion regarding the time this was taking place. We need a better way to inform players other than going to a website. Probably over 90% of the playerbase doesn't regularly check the website. Notification of events on this shard is terrible.

There should have been a way to sign up for the tournament before tonight so that everyone who wanted to participate could have.
Flutter the news of this event was posted on their website late on the night of the 10th of November. It was reposted on Stratics Front page and in the Catskills forum at 2 in the morning on the 11th of November. Meaning that everyone had 10 days at least to know about this event. The date and time was even bolded on the Catskills boards to make sure people wouldn't miss it. The information was also posted over on the UO Forums at about the same time as we posted it. So the date and time of the event was well covered for anyone interested to notice.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
My point is you shouldn't have to log into Stratics, the EM page or anywhere else in order to know about an event on your shard.
What happened to our in game notifications??

You know as well as I do only a tiny fraction of the community participate in the forum side of ultima online

EM Kasaven

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, I dislike having to have a "sudden death" format after a set amount of time, but at the same time there are people waiting for their rounds and when there are 20+ participants, if (potentially) I let one round go 30mins, I have to let every round go 30mins. Lets say only half the matches ended up at 30 minutes, thats 5 matches taking 2 and a half hours, and that's just the first round.

The "sudden death" no backpack was something that was decided on previously if a match was taking longer than 15 minutes. (other shards use 10, I thought that was a bit low) I'm not sure how to make it template-fair without knowing every template before hand, other than letting each match go on infinitely.

For instance, in a no-backpack (by no backpack I mean no pots, apples) fight, it could be equally difficult for a mage if said dexxer had shurikens or DP kryss and the fight reached sudden death. It's really impossible to say no-backpack is purely biased to mages.

That said, I want these to be as fair and fun as possible. If you can think of any ideas I'd love to hear them, but I can't let one match run for 45 minutes, it is just unfair to those waiting. Unfortunately protection makes for very defense-oriented matches. I could bar protection, but that eliminates quite a few templates.

As for event notification - as was said, it was posted over a week in advance. You're correct I should have placed a shield or lantern at Yew Moongate since this was a PvP-oriented event. I did make sure to in-game notice everyone at Yew and at Luna at least a half hour before the event was to take place, though. I wasn't disappointed with the turnout.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
As someone who plays the facet regularly, the turnout was disappointing. I got there too late, as did many others. Our own fault I suppose for not checking the website more frequently. I read a lot of forums and web pages during my days, it is true I may have overlooked a thread about a PvP tournament somewhere.

Don't think this is my way of cutting your efforts because it certainly isn't. Just suggestions should there be another similar event, which we alll hope there will be.

Perhaps if you fear the contests will take too long we should spread them out over certain days of the week? Let the players be responsible for showing up. It would be much more fun to let things play out as they normally would IMO.

There should be many of these types of tournaments. Someone who's not on their game (or has connection issues) one day, may surprise the field the next.

Kudos

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We held many PvP tournaments in the past. I haven't attended that one, unfortunately I missed it. As for rules, I think that you should never make rules too complicated. If you prohibit one thing, another player will always be disadvantaged. To my experience, 1:1 PvP seems pretty well balanced. If someone loses to - for example - Mystics, then they just haven't learned how to fight them efficiently.

When we hold tournaments, we do 2 different kinds:
  • Everything is allowed (except mounts, pets, invisibility).
  • Only gm-made armor and weapons sold by NPCs allowed.

If a fight takes too long, it should be interrupted after 10 minutes and rated as draw. Otherwise it will become boring for the crowd and the other participants. Depending on the number of participants, you should consider double-elimination, round robin, or single-elimination.