• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A discussion about the city governor meeting time slot...

QMSoar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heya

I wanted to talk a little about the current time slot of the governors meeting, usually held on a Sunday night at the end of the month. Governor Lew brought the subject up at the last meeting, and I wanted to be sure everyone understood what he meant and all the angles of the issue.

Sunday night events EST work out to be Monday morning for anyone playing outside North & South America, and Atlantic does have a lot of these players. Monday morning is pretty much the most difficult time to get online in any culture.

For normal events this would not be such a big problem, but the governor meetings are closely linked to the city election system. It wouldn't look good at all if a player got elected as governor and then was absent from every single meeting. However this is the situation for everyone outside the prime time hours.

What this basically means is that unless a player is within that time zone column, or has an uncommon work/school schedule, they are excluded from running for governor by default. they could send a rep in their place, or just plain skip the meetings. However in the first round alone I did hear a lot of things said about governors who took this route. The general community opinion seemed to be, if you can't make the meetings, don't run for office. Which is fair to be honest.

With the heavy migration of the UO player base to Atlantic, our shard does have a pretty big overseas player base. They come just to be sure they will have people to play with, and you will find Atlantic still alive and well when the lights go off in prime time countries. Normally the Sunday night time slot problem is something these players get used to, however this particular event covers a bit more than just a one shot adventure.

I know everyone has different schedules and so it could be said that we will miss people no matter when we shedule it. The point I'm trying to put forward here, is that we are missing the international community not such much indiviually, but on a default scale.

As a suggestion for a new slot, I'd recommend either Friday or Saturday nights EST, as they are both prime time and work out to be Saturday and Sunday morning for non-prime time. Both much easier than Monday morning.

Please chime in with your opinions. ;)

Soar/Compas

Last edited:

Lady Khaleesi

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Well spoken, Soar.

Though I am in the EST time zone, this too has affected Vesper this past term. Many of the Vesper citizens have the same issue as they span from Amsterdam, Germany, Turkey, United Kingdom, Spain and so on. They are very active in the role-play that we have done and plan to do in the future should I be re-elected. That you for putting this out here . You have done so much for the government scenario, and I personally want to thank you. Your talent and organization skill is respected and appreciated!!!

Kind Regards,
Khaleesi

Last edited:

Tze'Naga

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Being one of the overseas guests on the Atlantic shard, I fully agree with this :)

When I made the transfer from a rather inactive Europa server to Atlantic, I realised there would be time zone issues, but that was acceptable for even in prime time my current server less active than Atlantic. I found many players from all over the world that moved to Atlantic, so as Soar also said, even before/after the EST primetime there is still plenty of players around.

Then came the government system, with so much great player involvment that I had not seen in UO for many years, and it got me involved quite actively aswell. It's a great initiative, but the downside to it for me and many others is what this topic is about. Most of the ideas we work out, the talks, and lot of events get played out on sunday evening EST, making it late midnight/early monday morning for us over here. Some of the events that took place on Saturdays were very well visited even by those with up to 9 hours time difference, because you have the sunday waiting for rest :) The biggest event though for those active in the government setting is the meetings with the King. Not just for the governors themself, but also for the other players who help with the ideas and plots that are presented to the King.

So ofcourse I can only speak for myself, but I do think quite alot of players would be very happy if the meeting with the King would take place on saturday's.

QMSoar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Before this topic falls of the front page and into the abyss of forgotten issues, I'd like to request to EM Bennu it be brought up by the King for discussion at the coming coucil meeting on the 29th.

A couple of things have made me even more worried about it since bringing it up.

The first was seeing confirmation from EM Bennu that it was indeed the Kings job to remove governors if they are unable to attend the meetings. As I mentioned in the OP, I totally agree with this and want it to continue to be so. But, please understand that by coupling that rule with the current time slot, we are effectively saying it is the King's job to make sure all non-prime time players never become governors.

The other thing was often hearing the reasoning "Atlantic is a US server, and so we should only consider US times."
Yes, it is a US server. The suggestion being made here is not that we move the meeting to a time slot outside US prime time, but that we move it to one that is at least accessable for our international crowd, like Friday or Saturday night.

The international crowd is pretty active here, just because Atlantic rocks so very much. It's a great shard to play, and they do contribute to the community. For example, the recent Election Night Hoopla event had approximately 15 organizers involved with its creation, several of those were outside the US, and two of those were the ones who kicked the whole thing off. ;P

On a personal note, yeah I am outside the US, but no, I never plan on running for governor. Politics just isn't my cup of joe. I keep harping on this because I know others off-zone who have wanted to run for office but always turn away when they seen the meeting schedule. These players are some of the most active community contributors we have.

Anyways, EM Bennu would you please pass this on to the King for a serious discussion with the council.

Last edited:

Bennu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be completely honest with you, the Last Sunday of the month at that time slot is the only day that the parties behind the scenes on my end can 100% guarantee that they will be available 100% of the time.

I can count on 1 hand how many Friday/Saturday events I have run in 3 years.

Not trying to be rude or a jerk about this at all, but Friday/Saturday is dreadfully inconvenient.

Last edited:

QMSoar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be completely honest with you, the Last Sunday of the month at that time slot is the only day that the parties behind the scenes on my end can 100% guarantee that they will be available 100% of the time.

I can count on 1 hand how many Friday/Saturday events I have run in 3 years.

Not trying to be rude or a jerk about this at all, but Friday/Saturday is dreadfully inconvenient.
Ah well, if the schedule of the king doesn't match, it doesn't match. No need to go any further with this topic.

I am sure no one could rightfully complain. You have kept a steady stream of events flowing for three years straight. An incredible track record for any EM, and we are very fortunate.

Anyways, keep us in mind should things change in the future.

Cheers!

Soar/Compas

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I wish everyone who had a "problem" with things that happen on occasion would emulate how Soar addressed this one. No rudeness, no badgering... kudos!! Well done by all involved imo.