• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Suggestion] A change to the what happens when spell targets are out of range

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I haven't posted about this before, but I probably should have. There's a minor, or major depending on how you play, issue with the EC when it comes to casting on targets that are out of range. All I'm asking is that if a target is out of range that you would get a targeting cursor instead of having the spell be wasted as is the current situation.

F

Fink

Which spells in CC range check? I don't think I've ever noticed.

Also, can the cursor be modded to change hue/appearance depending on what type of target is required and/or whether or not you're within range?

Let's say you invoke the Taming skill which has a range of two tiles (I think). Could the cursor change hue or graphic if you point three or more tiles from your avatar?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Which spells in CC range check? I don't think I've ever noticed.

Also, can the cursor be modded to change hue/appearance depending on what type of target is required and/or whether or not you're within range?

Let's say you invoke the Taming skill which has a range of two tiles (I think). Could the cursor change hue or graphic if you point three or more tiles from your avatar?
I think the CC and the EC behave differently when spell targets are out of range, or maybe it's a UOA thing. Regardless, it would be nice if you would get a cursor instead of a wasted spell when the target is out of range.

Now it would be even nicer if the cursor for a given target or spell would grey out if a target was out of range, and the same for health bars of all sorts when the subject is out of range of all spells and attacks.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'd be happy to see the target reticle change from gold to grey if something is out of range.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Target reticle color change... That would be good.

The other pain is when you're casting Word of Death > current target, and 4 seconds later the mob moved out of range and the spell doesn't give you the cursor or nothing. Even tho I've macro'd it to cast (fill in the blank with slow spell) > current target the MINIMUM I should get is the spell cursor so I know that the mob is out of range therefore giving me time to run closer and then target the mob manually.

O

Old Man of UO

You get a cursor for Honor if your target is out of range, such as when using a macro to Honor > Target Nearest Enemy and nothing is in range. So in theory is should already have the code lurking about.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your target is out of range, we need to be given the targeting cursor regardless of what action was being taken. That way we can know to move into range and don't sit there and waste our time. Mages would love this!

I also think that the EC's spinning recticle should hue grey if we are out of range, just so we know. The more user friendly it is, the better.