• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] a 6 liner :) turned :(

Kelline

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so I get a 6 liner, im excited cant wait to get reward :)

a freaking fairy salmon with 67 charges pft

Dungeouness crab 15
spiney lobster 15
black seabass 20
bonito 20
rainbow trout 15
walleye 20

sigh, uo sucks :(

I've done about 500 quests & NO scrolls yet, had to buy a 110

& EVERYWHERE is easy now, so now where good to try to gain, so gains slow

might decide to scrap fishing, its too boring & rewards suck atm pft

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm afraid just because it has 6 lines doesn't mean its gonna be a good reward. You can get a 105 scroll off of a two line quest. I've had orders worth over 100 points, (6 liner) that have given a lava trap as a reward, and I've also recieved 97 yellow tail barracuda bait, off of larger orders. It's all a matter of luck at this stage.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's all a matter of luck at this stage.

That is what I think the problem is, too much power has been given to a broken RNG.

As I said before, better orders should always give better rewards.

Now, instead, we see quite often worse orders give better rewards than much better orders.....

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've gotten a few really good looking 6 liners that weren't great on the results front. I had a cracking one get me a book (and a few cuss words) and some pop scrolls or a really big tub of bait heh. However, I'm beginning to think there's more to the equation than just the RNG and the orders themselves when it comes to deciding what the reward is. But I want to do more testing before I draw any conclusions.

I think the best way to tackle this, if there is a problem, is to collate spreadsheet data about what we get from each order and post it up. If I think a problem exists, the first thing I do is take notes. Because as humans we look for patterns, and remember things that stand out, not necessarily in a balanced way :p A spreadsheet just keeps the data. It's a much better way of seeing patterns accurately and presenting data to prove there is a problem. Then EAM are going to see what we are actually getting at our end and they can decide whether it needs adjusting. Small amounts of data presented to the devs aren't going to be as illustrative.

That, I think, is the best constructive way to get this all sorted out once and for all. And also our best chance at figuring out this super secret formula :D

Wenchy

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Myself, I'm kicking back at 105 skill and just "stocking up" on crustaceans & fish, halting quests for now. Thank the gods, they stack and can be transferred/stored via Comm deeds. If and when the quest system is stabilized, I will have enough stock on hand to do a dozen quests easily. Or I can always sell stock and buy scroll and/or donate to my "whale boat dowry".

Still plenty to do w/Fisher - MIB stockpile and fishing up rares for trophy or pie...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let's talk about the rewards a bit, maybe we can suggest something that's workable and more welcome to us.
What would you like as a reward? Without going OTT about it? Trying to think of 'nice to have' rather than 'can sell for 1 million gp' and not overly complicated, so it's not going to take a shed load of dev time.
Personally - I'd like something consumable that would give me a purpose to continuing to do quests even when I reach legendary.
Mento seasoning?

The books - change the book type to the grey/brown one that can be handed in at the library maybe? Or introduce an npc similar to these who will trade the books for something else?

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let's talk about the rewards a bit, maybe we can suggest something that's workable and more welcome to us.
What would you like as a reward? Without going OTT about it? Trying to think of 'nice to have' rather than 'can sell for 1 million gp' and not overly complicated, so it's not going to take a shed load of dev time.
Personally - I'd like something consumable that would give me a purpose to continuing to do quests even when I reach legendary.
Mento seasoning?

The books - change the book type to the grey/brown one that can be handed in at the library maybe? Or introduce an npc similar to these who will trade the books for something else?
Rewards, as its been mentioned before, baits for the common fishes used in quest, would be much more welcome than yellow barracuda bait. Or it would be nice if you could turn some of your baits into a vendor, to trade it for a different type. Example would be to trade in fairy salmon bait for lurker fish bait. Or Yellow barracuda bait for some type of trap fish bait.
The Poles and traps aren't such a bad reward for some of the lower end quests, but they sure are a disapointment when you get them from an order that had 4 kinds of dungeon fish, and 2 kinds of Deepwater fish.

I don't really like the idea of getting the seasonings, because I don't know anyone that will eat the pies. They don't stack and you have to be hungry to eat them. And if I recall some of the seasonings don't stack either.

Would be nice if lava poles stacked, at least when they are new. I have well over 60 of the things.

Books, yes I agree being able to turn them into the library, BUT, I think each level of book should have its own point value. The Rare book Part 3 generally cost me tons of fish for each one. Where the rare book part 1 barely takes any fish. I have more than 125 rare books now, and still don't know if I should keep or throw em away. Keeping them for now just in case they add them to the library turn-ins.

Would also be sweet if you could turn in some of the kelp leggings, and nets,etc to the library too.

My house and bank are over run with lava poles, books, and kelp leggings, and nets, along with the other mib rewards. I have hundreds of mibs I have not even gotten to yet.

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've gotten a few really good looking 6 liners that weren't great on the results front. I had a cracking one get me a book (and a few cuss words) and some pop scrolls or a really big tub of bait heh. However, I'm beginning to think there's more to the equation than just the RNG and the orders themselves when it comes to deciding what the reward is. But I want to do more testing before I draw any conclusions.

I think the best way to tackle this, if there is a problem, is to collate spreadsheet data about what we get from each order and post it up. If I think a problem exists, the first thing I do is take notes. Because as humans we look for patterns, and remember things that stand out, not necessarily in a balanced way :p A spreadsheet just keeps the data. It's a much better way of seeing patterns accurately and presenting data to prove there is a problem. Then EAM are going to see what we are actually getting at our end and they can decide whether it needs adjusting. Small amounts of data presented to the devs aren't going to be as illustrative.

That, I think, is the best constructive way to get this all sorted out once and for all. And also our best chance at figuring out this super secret formula :D

Wenchy
If you could get someone to actually read and examine the spread sheet, or data sheet, I could supply you with somewhere around 800 quests worth of data. What the quests were, where they came from, and what was recieved for each one. But I really don't want to waste my time trying to post it all, if its not going to be seriously looked at. I have also recieved over 28 fishing scrolls, since I've started keeping track and have all the information on what it took to get those. Mostly 105,s 110,s and a single 115. Have thousands of baits, over a hundred books and still no 120ps.

S

soulstoner

Myself, I'm kicking back at 105 skill and just "stocking up" on crustaceans & fish, halting quests for now. Thank the gods, they stack and can be transferred/stored via Comm deeds. If and when the quest system is stabilized, I will have enough stock on hand to do a dozen quests easily. Or I can always sell stock and buy scroll and/or donate to my "whale boat dowry".

Still plenty to do w/Fisher - MIB stockpile and fishing up rares for trophy or pie...
Right on - I'm doing the same. I am optimistically hopeful there will be some fix upcoming on the crustacean comp which may resolve a great deal of the frustrations given recent acknowledgments of the need for investigation from our Mods. :thumbsup: *fingers crossed*

RE PETRA: As to other kewler rewards .. i dunno ... baits are OK 'if' they in fact work :p - but I've not noticed or seen any posts confirming they make a difference (though haven't used that many to say for sure) The rarer fish bait cups provide excitement for this household (I really dig that the bait cups can be combined :thumbsup:)... As for mento seasoning, Samuel's & truffles and such - that'd maybe be OK - if they stacked - although it may be more disappointing as we are able to buy them. I think it'd be really neat if cooks could make those ingredients using the unstackable choclate ingredients (cocoa butter, cocoa liquor & vanilla) from the Ish paragons :p. The cured, pickled, dried fish steaks that come from pirate booty might be interesting. But above all - I think fixing the crustacean points would be uber awesome.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or it would be nice if you could turn some of your baits into a vendor, to trade it for a different type. Example would be to trade in fairy salmon bait for lurker fish bait. Or Yellow barracuda bait for some type of trap fish bait.
I like this idea. Perhaps an NPC at the Floating Emporium could handle this.

The other things I would like to see change are: the stacking of the ingredients for the pies; the stacking of the pies; and them not being treated as food. This would make them alot more useful and desired, which will go along way for making bait more desireable and rewarding.

Stayin Alive,

BG

G

Gowron

It's all a matter of luck at this stage.

That is what I think the problem is, too much power has been given to a broken RNG.

As I said before, better orders should always give better rewards.

Now, instead, we see quite often worse orders give better rewards than much better orders.....
I think the problem is more in line with people so stuck on the end game that they forget to enjoy the journey.

Yeah, I don't get the desired reward for my quests, however, I've racked up enough MiBs to keep me busy for a week or so. Quite frankly, the gold is better than doing Tmaps when considering gold alone.

S

soulstoner

What would you like as a reward? ...............
...........Or introduce an npc similar to these who will trade the books for something else?
fwiw:

My primary objective and excitement for the new fishing - after having GMed years gone by - is for the 'consumables' whereby the making of pies for my & friends chars that fight spawns and such - so far I've only wrangled up the Yellow Barracudas at 105 skill ... & I won't buy a higher scroll & I'm not a seller of stuff - so I'm hoping to get to a point with skill - (need scroll) to get the cookable fish to make the pies - and some mounted trophys - without getting frustrated and loosing interest all together - which is where I'm getting close to now...moop.
Barry Gibbs' input ^^ on the stacking of pies & pie ingredients and also importantly being able to consume them when well fed without the Satiety Cure is right on -
although, everytime I read a Gibb post - it is constructive and well put but I end up with 'Stayin Alive' replaying over and over in my head for a while. :p

Your Barter NPC idea is very good.

*musing* How bout a taxidermy kit that would give a little different style of mount, er a wall plaque that reads Gone Fishing with a mini fish or crab of sort on it (can be a few different ones), er a cute little 'chum bucket' that looks like the water bucket that provide some fishing benefit that is timed out per days use similar to luck statue - errrrrr maybe too wacky - nevermind. :lol:

Thanks - glad we have you

A

anna anomalous

its far too easy and there's no risk to get these powerscrolls. just like with blacksmithing/tailoring 120 when they came out, they were a rare sight and even turning in the top end BOD could result in not getting the best runic, or 120. yes, the windows were larger for better items as there were more rewards, but i'm sure the developers did not want to to be extremely easy to get these scrolls.

so, with limited rewards, the chances of you getting a powerscroll over bait, book, trap, or fishing pole is about 1/5. which doesn't mean turn in 5 orders and get a powerscroll, it means 20% chance to each time time you turn in said order to get a powerscroll. you could go on a bad run and never see a powerscroll for many turn-ins even.

it is extremely easy to make 6 liners appear in your boat if you do the quests in order (turning in one quest and picking up the next quest at the harbor of delivery results in the next order to be more challenging to fill).

most of this is just theorycrafting, but just keep at it and the results will show truth.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mento seasoning?

Indeed more variety with rewards would be a winner, IMHO.

As of now rewards are pretty much monotonous and baits get hardly used at all and just stock up (I read of someone who has like 7,000 charges on some baits....). Same with lava equipment with traps not much used for fear of losing them and poles burning out rather fast, also. Books ? Well, no comment on them....

Anyways, to get more variety of rewards would definately be welcomed.

Yes and yes and yes again. Whenever I get a book I just think of all the fish, the crabs and the lobsters I have wasted just to get another books which I have no use for....
I mean, I spent time into fishing, sailing to deliver the order and what do I get ? A book which I have no use for.....

So please, do make some good use also for these books. Thanks.

Kelline

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The rewards are ok for the quests I guess, but ya a way to turn in the unwanted rewards to get a better one would be cool. (like with tot u turn in 10, u can pick 1 )

My main upset is after 500 or so quests, of which Ive only kept track a bit on the last 50 or so, I havent gotten ONE scroll. so if i didnt buy the 105 then the 110 I would still be stuck at gm. & I cried a little when I bought them cuz they werent cheap as they are rareish. I dont expect to be handed the 120, but a little easier to get would be nice, for those who dont have it yet. So i can get farther in trainging instead of being stuck with what I've been able to buy. & no i dont what to spent the $ to bind scrolls to get it, thats WAY too much & im not rich.

atm on atl, 105 goes for 2 mil & 110 goes for about 7 mil....

G

Gowron

Books, yes I agree being able to turn them into the library, BUT, I think each level of book should have its own point value. The Rare book Part 3 generally cost me tons of fish for each one. Where the rare book part 1 barely takes any fish. I have more than 125 rare books now, and still don't know if I should keep or throw em away. Keeping them for now just in case they add them to the library turn-ins.

Would also be sweet if you could turn in some of the kelp leggings, and nets,etc to the library too.

My house and bank are over run with lava poles, books, and kelp leggings, and nets, along with the other mib rewards. I have hundreds of mibs I have not even gotten to yet.
I will have to second the notion of being able to turn in the rare books to the library, but I disagree on things like the kelp leggings, nets (unless they are the deco ones), etc.

To clarify what I would like to be able to turn in, and points can be as low as 1 would be the following: shells, bones, arms, broken clocks, paintings, globes, skull caps, tricornes, unfinished barrels,etc.

I still need to verify what the kelp leggings, valkyrie armor, and driftwood bows unravel to, but it would be nice if they yielded relics...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
they unravel to essence - because of that negative modifier for having over 5 properties.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gowron, any reasons why you are against turning in the junk loot from within the chests? How many kelp leggings / bows / bustiers does anyone need? There is no market for those items. May aswell just hand them in like the lobsters. Just useless trash that has no other purpose.

Do you really think anyone would bother to even waste the time on handing in the items you mentioned for 1 point?

yay me .. for a 5 liner with 20 blue crab and 20 dungeoness crabs and some other fish i got the ultra rare book #2. Took me only 2 bond-dvds to get these crabs. That was well worth it ....

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like a "Magical lobster trap bag"!!!

When you pick up your lobster traps from the water, all the traps land in the Magic lobster trap bag. Then the bag would have an option to empty all traps, stack the crabs/lobsters, then restack the empty traps.

This would save literally hundreds of double clicks. And make trap fishing MUCH less tedious.

G

Gowron

Gowron, any reasons why you are against turning in the junk loot from within the chests? How many kelp leggings / bows / bustiers does anyone need? There is no market for those items. May aswell just hand them in like the lobsters. Just useless trash that has no other purpose.

Do you really think anyone would bother to even waste the time on handing in the items you mentioned for 1 point?

yay me .. for a 5 liner with 20 blue crab and 20 dungeoness crabs and some other fish i got the ultra rare book #2. Took me only 2 bond-dvds to get these crabs. That was well worth it ....
You read too much into my disagreement and not enough into the reason. Of course, my disagreement was predicated in unraveling them into relics, but alas, that is screwed. I didn't think they should only be 1 point. I just said I would be happy if they were worth 1 point. I consider that an improvement over being worth 0 now.

You may proceed with your whining...

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like a "Magical lobster trap bag"!!!

When you pick up your lobster traps from the water, all the traps land in the Magic lobster trap bag. Then the bag would have an option to empty all traps, stack the crabs/lobsters, then restack the empty traps.

This would save literally hundreds of double clicks. And make trap fishing MUCH less tedious.

Unfortunately, it could also help scripters a whole lot so thanks but no, I'd not like to see such a thing in the game unless the possibility to script is taken out of the game as first....

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfortunately, it could also help scripters a whole lot so thanks but no, I'd not like to see such a thing in the game unless the possibility to script is taken out of the game as first....
It wouldn't be of too much use to a scripter, The speed they empty a trap and place it back out is really negligible.