• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

95 GIG for Enhanced Client?

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I decided that with the 15th anniversary coming around, while I haven't been playing UO for a few months, it was time to join the celebration. So I updated my client overnight and this morning, I was out of hard drive space. WHAT?

So poking around, I learned that the UO Enhanced Client is taking up a wopping 95 GIG. Is that right? Has anyone else checked to see if that's correct?

Fogsbane

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My average Ultima Online Enhanced Client install folder size is about 2-3GB amongst various machines I use.
The single largest file in my installation folder looks to be "AnimationFrame2.uop" at about 507MB in size.

You may wish to download and install a fresh client to try and isolate the cause.
It sounds like you may have corrupted file(s)?

One option may be to delete any unexpectedly large file(s), and re-patch with the "Perform Full File Check" option selected at the bottom of the Mythic Patcher screen.

I am fortunate enough to have some time and a very good internet connection for use during the day, so, for a test, I tried a fresh new install to see what folder file sizes would result, as of today.

Not that it should matter much, but I'm running Windows 7 Pro with a Windows account that has Administrator permissions.

Went to UO.com ( which redirected me to Mythic Entertainment | Ultima Online | Play the 14-Day Free Trial! ), on the right hand side, towards the bottom I selected the "Ultima Online Client Download" graphic link.

On the resulting page I was then presented with two options for Ultima Online Client Downloads "Enhanced Client" -or- "Classic Client"

It took a few seconds, for me, to download the initial install files, either "UOClassicSetup_7_0_24_0.exe" -or- "UOEnhancedSetup_4_0_10_1.exe" (both clocking in at 18MB)

I then began installing the Enhanced Client (UOEnhancedSetup_4_0_10_1.exe) and noted my results.

It took about 25 seconds to complete the first part of the install, and then about 10 seconds after that it begin patching.
The Mythic Patcher dialog box showed, at the bottom, "Patching files ... [xMB/2059MB]".

It took about 36 minutes, for me, to fully patch the client and allow me to select "Play" and login to the game.
I logged into TC1 to see that it was working, and then logged out of and shut down the client.

I then took a look at the resultant install folder, "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced", and it shows the total install folder size listed as just over 2GB for a brand new fresh install.

if your seeing 95GB, something is definitely haywire with your install.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since I only have an 80gb hard drive and it's less than half full, I'd say that's a definite 'no'.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sometimes the patcher goes bonkers and a specific file will just grow and grow while it is trying to patch it. Just find the offending file and delete it and then run the patcher again, it will be replaced.

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We are aware of this issue with the EC patcher and working to get it fixed. In the meantime if you see an abnormally large uop file just delete it and preform full file check.