• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

9 Year old account can't take a house?

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand why new accounts cannot place or accept a house in a trade, but why on God's green earth can't a new character on a 9 year old account accept one?

Keep in mind, I'm on Siege, so there aren't other characters on the account I can use. :bs:

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Kat, they changed the house placement rules so that the character has to be 15 days old to place a house.

WildStar

T

Teufel_Hund

Kat, they changed the house placement rules so that the character has to be 15 days old to place a house.

WildStar

True but that code change was only to fix the issue of peeps coming in with Trial Accts and placing houses that will never fall and then using them for free or other nefarious uses. A Veteran account that is in good standing should not have this restriction simply because the character is less than 15 days old. At least that is the way my mind would see it.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, I realize that. AGAIN... It's BS that a 9 year old account with a new character CANNOT place or accept a house in a trade. What part of that do you not understand?

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True but that code change was only to fix the issue of peeps coming in with Trial Accts and placing houses that will never fall and then using them for free or other nefarious uses. A Veteran account that is in good standing should not have this restriction simply because the character is less than 15 days old. At least that is the way my mind would see it.

Exactly! A long term customer should not have this restriction.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After reading that thread, this sounds like lazy programming at its finest! I'll be sending a bug report next. Ugh!!! It's dumb things like this that make the game so frustrating. Half the "bugs" in this game wouldn't exist if our devs put some forethought into things and didn't always choose the easiest way to program such things. Writing code correctly the first time, is much more efficient than having to go back and correct or add to it later.

A

~Antzy~Pantz~

I'm sure its intentional.. they mess coding up just so they have something to do next week in between pubs. Get real, **** happens. :coco:

Leto

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After reading that thread, this sounds like lazy programming at its finest!
You've hit the nail on the head: It's lazy programming! The current dev-team seems to excel at that....

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand why new accounts cannot place or accept a house in a trade, but why on God's green earth can't a new character on a 9 year old account accept one?

Keep in mind, I'm on Siege, so there aren't other characters on the account I can use. :bs:
C'mon you have played for nine years! Whats 15 days?

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

C'mon you have played for nine years! Whats 15 days?
It's inconvenient and unnecessary, thats what it is.

K

Kratos Aurion

Happened to me recently too. Its utterly stupid. The 15 day thing was good but not for veterans. It was just a bandaid fix for the influx of scripters and rampant abuse of IDOCers using trial accounts to hold houses

Uthar Pendragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just out of curiousity did you log out and log back in? I noticed on my accoutn the 6th mth stat increase usually hits when I log in the second time with that char.

R

Revenant2

I feel like the whole solution as it is right now is a good fix overall, including the fact that it catches vet accounts.

My own sense of the player housing system is that it is for players to make houses and live in them! The capability to throw down a house for some temporary, alternate purpose is in my opinion not ideal. A less-than-15 day old char that is attempting to place a house, in many circumstances, isn't making one to really live in. It's a temp char, maybe even on a temp shard, making a temporary house, maybe to help loot an IDOC or something similar.

I don't mind it as it is now. I feel like I've seen enough of what I consider misuse of house placement to accept the current arrangement.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Part of the problem is

1. New accounts can renounce young status - So you can't use young status to hold off house-placing (remember- this fix was to deal with people using trial/buddy accounts to bogart plots at IDOCs to sell for RL cash).

2. All accounts start with a bonus couple of months age, and we all know how flaky account age has been, so it can't be used either.

Only the character age timer appears to work right 100% of the time, so they went for it as the means of fixing the issue.

It sucks if you're trying to arrange things for starting on a new shard, but that's a hell of a less common occurrance than those land speculators and their scripts.

Suggestion for persons who might run into this in the future.

If you know a month ahead of time that you're gonna start up on a new shard, create a character to get to 15 days old to place/trade. The house is account bound, so once it's traded, it's yours.

Even on a 9-year account, if I was gonna be starting on SP, I'd go out training for over two weeks, living out of an inn (and keeping everything of value in my bank - even stripping my gear into the bankbox before going to the inn), before even thinking of placing a house. If anything, one's home is an even less secure place in SP than on other shards, because you have to be able to survive potential PKs to get to it, no matter where it is placed.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, I realize that. AGAIN... It's BS that a 9 year old account with a new character CANNOT place or accept a house in a trade. What part of that do you not understand?
It's probably ez'ier to edit the code as a whole rather then adding in restrictions for older accounts as well as new accounts... 15 days is not a long time to wait... maybe while your waiting though you should make a char on all shards so you dont have to worry about it in the future. ??

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just out of curiousity did you log out and log back in? I noticed on my accoutn the 6th mth stat increase usually hits when I log in the second time with that char.
and this alone should already be enough to decide that a char can take a house with minor conditional code.

*Salute*
Olahorand