• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

+5 Skill cap scrolls and revitalizing Harrower

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just a theoretical idea

What if a +5 skill cap bonus scroll was introduced, and only +5 but a single char could use up to 4 of them (raising the skill cap to 740 if using 4).

This would be a heavily desirable item, much the same as power scrolls and stat scrolls were when initially introduced.

This would need to be a shard bound item. This would need to be a cursed item. You could have the Harrower drop one of these per (only one, regardless of protection) to one of the characters within the area of the boss dying.

Here would be the interesting part of the item: it would be uninsurable, you could not stealth while holding it, not bag of sending, not logout without it dropping,not help stuck, and give the carrier of the item a hue, or effect so it is obvious who is holding it. You could not recall or go through a gate while carrying it. The only way to break all of this would be placing the item in a bank box.

The idea would be that once the item was given from the boss, you would have to sort of fight your way out and to a bank to deposit the item safely. If killed the item is transfered to the killer. If killed by a monster the item is on your glowing or hued corpse.

It sort of ends up being treated like a power scroll/sigil hybrid with some other pieces added like the unable to stealth or recall to make it difficult.

Just a neccesary item in the game to fight for again, with some added wrinkles to make things really interesting. In doing so you could make he Harrower more difficult or more hp so it couldn't be killed as fast. The boss has been unchanged since the early days. This would make it so a group couldn't do a harrower extremely quickly. Teaming up with guilds to kill, defend or raid would be needed.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Still not enough incentive for me to be professional PK fodder at a Harrower. ;)
Back when scrolls were introduced, many players and strict pvm guilds made large zergs of players, or teamed up with PvP guilds to defend to get the items. Once compete the group just rolled on the item, so it's just be a choice if you wanted to or not. At the end of the day it would end up for sale anyways, just like any other item like a slither.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not saying it's a bad idea, but in the 20 years I've been playing I've done exactly ONE Harrower and it was this year when a nice group of professional pvp'ers thought it was pathetic that I've never done one and allowed me to attend one of theirs. They even gave me a +25 stat scroll too. It was extremely nice of them and I was finally able to cross that experience off of my UO bucket list. :)

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Over all, I like this idea. But some of the mechanisms I personally don't like - for example:

" you could not stealth while holding it, not bag of sending, not logout without it dropping,not help stuck, and give the carrier of the item a hue, or effect so it is obvious who is holding it. You could not recall or go through a gate while carrying it. The only way to break all of this would be placing the item in a bank box."

This may need to be ironed out a bit, but still, it's a neat idea.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stealth shouldn't be on the list(as it's a skill which can be countered with some ease) but the rest do add risk, risk is good.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stealth shouldn't be on the list(as it's a skill which can be countered with some ease) but the rest do add risk, risk is good.
If stealth was on there (especially with the mastery)- anyone would just give it to the stealther and stealth away and hide until the coast is clear- thus negating the whole fun pvp experience he is suggesting.

I mean everyone wants more skill, but adding 20 extra skill with all the skill increase out there could be dangerous.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
we are powerful enough no need to do at this time. will cause some nerfs and revamps again.need to fix things and improve game its self. classic client needs a program/add on that can compete with ec/pinco all we have is uo assist that is legal and ec needs some fixes too.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The harrower just needs to be updated so it isn't easily killable in 15-20 minutes. It supposed to be the end all champion that's the hardest, but its not due to every upgrade players have gotten over the years. Jumping the skill max is just gonna lead to more dps and thus ruining pvp even more, it already needs to be toned down. I suggested before on other harrower threads that it should spawn tentacles randomly on both forms as well as move from place to place in each dungeon. That way the boss cant be defended so easily with a zerg, they would have to move retake it over again thus adding to pvp. The general loot on the corpse needs a boost as well. I also don't like the no recall/gate thing either, you already have to make it out of the dungeon with them, which should be enough time to fight for it. The bug of logging out should've been fixed long ago when harrower is in dungeons without a champ spawn, just fix that issue.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IMO since dangling carrots on sticks OBVIOUSLY doesn't work they should go back to the drawing board remove PvM from a PvP requirement and stop putting PvM lures into Fel and start putting in fun and exciting reasons to PvP that aren't PvM dependent/driven... and are more driven to make PvP more fun and less of a headache... and putting in things that boost PvP and the fun factors of PvP... guild on guild, party vs party etc... and have PvP related rewards with true consequence... Be an evil murderous scum and get caught spend time in jail .... pay to get out or do your time... giving good money in their coffers to do things like control a city and get buffs... or something... put a good and evil buff system in...

There are tons of things they could do to invigorate PvP without making it revolve around PvM... since things are getting more and more soloistic it would be nice if they could add things that are more community and guild driven... Perhaps they could do things for guilds.

Say a guild wants to control Trinsic in Fel... give them bonuses for holding it... More like old factions. But let them buy things like gates... cannons (that work) guards... etc... Allow the attackers things like cannons tents etc... make parts of the walls or gates damageable by cannons and such... there are tons of things they could do that do not involve PvM...

IMO they should never have tried to marry the two...

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Or they could just do what a lot of people asked for, scrap it all and bring back Order/Chaos and make it worldwide.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
people were asking for "pet only" scrolls. adding them to the harrower, plus worthwhile legendarys would probably be enough to get people back to doing it. id also be fine with a plus 5, or even 10 skill bonus.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anything PvP centric would be nice soon, as current meta is getting boring. They mentioned a vvv revamp but based on current schedule that seems a very long way off. Would of been nice to see that in before f2p as a draw

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
My long-standing proposal has been the opposite.

• Make the Harrower harder. (Exodus level would make it about as hard as it was when Publish 16 came out. Not quite there but way closer than now?)
  • Give the Harrower a chance of spawning every artifact in UO (Shadowguard artifacts; Doom artifacts; Ilshenar items; literally everything, maybe including things that were only available for a limited time previously), in addition to the stat scroll spawn it has now.
  • Find someplace in the Trammel rules facets to have stat scrolls spawn. (Rate should be low but accessible.)
  • Put regular power scrolls in Trammel rules spawns (reduced rate and/or make people combine lower level ones to get higher level ones; leave Fel spawn rate the same).
  • Mirror the Primeval Lich, Abyssal Infernal, Khaldun, etc., content in the Trammel rules someplace. (Leave them in Fel too but mirror them.)

Those who want to get everything and not set foot in Trammel don't have to. Those who want to get everything and not set foot in Felucca don't have to. Nothing is exclusive to any rules set, but stuff remains most-commonly associated with a certain rules set. Such that you could get anything in your favorite rules set, but the incentive to venture out is that some stuff is more common in the other rules set. (For example the Shadowguard artifacts are hard enough to get in Shadowguard, let alone when they need to compete with a lot of other items for a drop chance. For another example, nothing I've proposed will enable Trammel rules players to make power scrolls or stat scrolls spawn at anywhere near the rate they spawn in Fel, we'll just have the chance without visiting Fel.)

Nothing will make people who want to PvP somehow prefer PvM, nothing will make people who don't want to PvP do it and like it. So why not let everyone have the chance at everything but if you're curious about the other side of the game you still have an incentive to try?

-John's player

Potgut

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No +5 skill scrolls please. Just keep it at 720 as is. I'd be fine if they add pet power scrolls or such.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IMO since dangling carrots on sticks OBVIOUSLY doesn't work they should go back to the drawing board remove PvM from a PvP requirement and stop putting PvM lures into Fel and start putting in fun and exciting reasons to PvP that aren't PvM dependent/driven... and are more driven to make PvP more fun and less of a headache... and putting in things that boost PvP and the fun factors of PvP... guild on guild, party vs party etc... and have PvP related rewards with true consequence... Be an evil murderous scum and get caught spend time in jail .... pay to get out or do your time... giving good money in their coffers to do things like control a city and get buffs... or something... put a good and evil buff system in...

There are tons of things they could do to invigorate PvP without making it revolve around PvM... since things are getting more and more soloistic it would be nice if they could add things that are more community and guild driven... Perhaps they could do things for guilds.

Say a guild wants to control Trinsic in Fel... give them bonuses for holding it... More like old factions. But let them buy things like gates... cannons (that work) guards... etc... Allow the attackers things like cannons tents etc... make parts of the walls or gates damageable by cannons and such... there are tons of things they could do that do not involve PvM...

IMO they should never have tried to marry the two...
I always love it when trammel players try to push ideas to bring back life into fel/pvp its like visiting my mechanic for my annual physical. You stick to the things you know like decorating trammel banks and auction house duties we (as in people whom actually pvp) will come up with ideas on how to spice up the pvp scene. I am sure your Britain bank thread needs a little support =]