• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

4 slots greater dragon

metalabyss

Adventurer
gd1.png

I have found a 4 slot gd, but it seems to have almost the lowest HP which they can have. The resist is 84/67/48/60/56.

So is this worth training?

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have found a 4 slot gd, but it seems to have almost the lowest HP which they can have. The resist is 84/67/48/60/56.

So is this worth training?
4 slots always have the lowest hits a greater dragon can have, they need to have the intensity to be considered a 4 slot animal. the physical resists on that one are nice. How are the skill caps?

metalabyss

Adventurer
4 slots always have the lowest hits a greater dragon can have, they need to have the intensity to be considered a 4 slot animal. the physical resists on that one are nice. How are the skill caps?
gd2.png gd3.png

Not that high I think, at least for the magery.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I wanted to get a 4 slot GD, went to Destard this morning and a 4 slot one was literally standing 10 steps from the entrance. 113.1 Wrestling after tame. Resists all under 80 though.

I wanted to try to find a 4 slot with >120 wrestling post tame and as close to 85 physical and 90 fire as possible, but after farming them for a couple hours it's pretty clear that's extremely rare. I must have been very lucky because I didn't see another 4 slot that whole time farming.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
May i consider this one a "lucky one"? I never care too much about this bad boy, i think i got it around 2012...
Useless to say this is of course a 5 slot GD ;)
Yeah, I want one like that, but 4 slot so I can add regens, 150 stamina, and Chiv.

Last edited:

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Anyone know the safest place to farm greater dragons? I know they spawn in several places, I usually go to Destard, but that spawn can get crazy sometimes.

Gardo

Journeyman
Anyone know the safest place to farm greater dragons? I know they spawn in several places, I usually go to Destard, but that spawn can get crazy sometimes.
I do Destard myself. I setup the spawn with my stealth herder and then obliterate the GDs with my Disco tamer. As the other spawn gradually creeps back, I bring my herder back. Works well for me and I’ve tamed well over a dozen 4-slotters with this method. When one pops up.... honor tame and gate. Easy peazy lemon squeezy....

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Blackthorn is good. You can just drag them out one by one. This is what I used to do pre-pet revamp. With today's pets you can probably keep killing them where they and handle the extra spawn too.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Blackthorn is good. You can just drag them out one by one. This is what I used to do pre-pet revamp. With today's pets you can probably keep killing them where they and handle the extra spawn too.
I may try Blackthorn, pet sometimes gets overwhelmed in Destard. Also in Blackthorn if a 4 slot spawns I can stable my pet quick and run back to tame it. Do they only spawn in that maze area? When I went there I saw 1 GD and 1 regular dragon spawning in that area; is that the right spot?

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In that maze are in Blackthorn's basement there are ...
  • 1 x 'a greater dragon'
  • 1 x 'a dragon'
  • 2 x 'a drake'
and that's the only spot where these reptiles spawn down there yet ...

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To 'farm' greater dragons my tamer(s) use(d) a dedicated runebook as well as public (corrupted) crystal portals
  • ten (10) wild greater dragons in Felucca's Destard
  • five (5) wild beasts in Trammel's Destard
  • two (2) each in the fire (demon) temple area on the Isle of the avatar (Trammel & Felucca)
  • one (1) each in the maze area of Blackthorn's basement (Trammel & Felucca)
  • one (1) each in the far south of the terathan keep (Trammel & Felucca)
  • one (1) each) in Wind (Trammel & Felucca)
  • four or five around the valor champ spawn area in Ilshenar
The first 19 or 20 are quite easy to reach and lore - after such a tour I usually went and set up the Wind spawn area to 'farm' there with the help of the Wind town guards ...
Stealth herder for the 'win' ...

[EDIT]

Stealth 'herder gimplate':
  • GM animal lore (110 if you also want to lore nontameables)
  • GM herding
  • GM hiding
  • 80 stealth
  • 78 - 92 (+whatever) magery
  • 70 (+26) ninjitsu
  • rest for whatever - taming, meditation ...
Wind_Image14.jpg
[/EDIT]

Last edited:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is a spot accessible via tha ankh dungeon (from serpentine passage entrance go first right, first left, right, left all the way south.) You enter a maze type area. Go all the way down and you will run into an area that has a wyvrn, dragon, a couple greater mongbats, a drake and a greater dragon. I usually draw everything but the greater dragon up into the maze part and then just farm away on the greater dragon. Just be prepared for a paragon or two :)

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Overall does it make sense to go for a 4 slot greater dragon so that it can be trained to a 5 slot as opposed to running with a 5 slot cu or beetle (or even a strong pre-tame 5 slot GD)?

I know that the 4 slot greater dragon itself will vary on its battle worth based on the initial resists (less points to use on resist after leveling) but I'm wondering if they would be better to use (after training of course) over something like a (fire) beetle or a chiv/AI cu (or a bane dragon which seem to be gaining popularity). I see some people on here have found the 4 slots pretty easy but I've looked for 4 slots in the past and didn't have any luck (maybe 4-5 hours spread out) so I'm wondering if it's really worth spending hours trying to find a 4 slot; I'm wondering if someone could tame something like a beetle or cu within a few minutes that would be at the very least the same if not better to use (or if they had a 4.5 rated GD already).

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Being able to boost the resists cuts the damage it takes from other elements, also giving it more regens and possible chiv...

Yes. You get a flappy that can kill. It just wont have the hp of non 4 slots.

Gardo

Journeyman
Overall does it make sense to go for a 4 slot greater dragon so that it can be trained to a 5 slot as opposed to running with a 5 slot cu or beetle (or even a strong pre-tame 5 slot GD)?

I know that the 4 slot greater dragon itself will vary on its battle worth based on the initial resists (less points to use on resist after leveling) but I'm wondering if they would be better to use (after training of course) over something like a (fire) beetle or a chiv/AI cu (or a bane dragon which seem to be gaining popularity). I see some people on here have found the 4 slots pretty easy but I've looked for 4 slots in the past and didn't have any luck (maybe 4-5 hours spread out) so I'm wondering if it's really worth spending hours trying to find a 4 slot; I'm wondering if someone could tame something like a beetle or cu within a few minutes that would be at the very least the same if not better to use (or if they had a 4.5 rated GD already).
I certainly won’t say that the 4-slotters I have tamed are better pets than my cu’s, lessers, etc. Definitely more of a novelty for me. My wife loves flappy pets, so the time I have invested is a no brainer. Happy wife.....happy life!!

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I prefer the Crimson/Platinum Drakes far more than GDs, even a 4 slot one. 100% Elemental damage, and doesn't waste time/mana on Bleed attack.

Gardo

Journeyman
I prefer the Crimson/Platinum Drakes far more than GDs, even a 4 slot one. 100% Elemental damage, and doesn't waste time/mana on Bleed attack.
Elemental drakes are beasts! I farmed them awhile back and ended up with 75%-80%ers in all but energy. Very nice pets! Some of my wife’s favorites.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Elemental drakes are beasts! I farmed them awhile back and ended up with 75%-80%ers in all but energy. Very nice pets! Some of my wife’s favorites.
My Fire Beetle, and Blue Beetles rock..any-day of the week...

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Speaking of frost mites I've noticed they hold aggro *really* well. I was at navery with a chiv ai firesteed and this girl with a freshly tamed frost mite was also there. I could NOT hold the aggro on my horse, and I know I had to be out damaging the big bug. Maybe the generally unloved 'cold wind', being a DoT, helps these keep aggro so well?

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I leveled up my 4 slot GD last night. I added Chiv, resists, regens, 150 dex/stam. He has 115.9 wrestling and about the same tactics, 120 parry.

Ideally I'd like a 4 slot with overcapped physical and fire resist and 120+ wrestling. Not sure if that's possible on a 4 slot though.

tanotan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few years ago, i tamed a 4 slot greater, that had 85/90 in phys/fire and had 122,2 in wrestling after training. So this one had "overcapped" important Resists and "overcapped" wrestling. I kept that one.
Hard to find a real good 4 slot greater, imho.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
When you get a 4 slot greater... what are you doing for training? I'd be curious to hear others input

tanotan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i put chivalry on that 4 slot greater, i described 2 posts earlier.

Scott1234

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Speaking of frost mites I've noticed they hold aggro *really* well. I was at navery with a chiv ai firesteed and this girl with a freshly tamed frost mite was also there. I could NOT hold the aggro on my horse, and I know I had to be out damaging the big bug. Maybe the generally unloved 'cold wind', being a DoT, helps these keep aggro so well?
area affects usage can help.
”all guard me” is often better than “all kill“ for keeping the pet on task, so long as you get angro-d.