• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

• Thread starter CallMeIshmael
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
C

CallMeIshmael

Well, I can only thank Old Man of UO for inspiring me to follow his lead, he's quite the herder. I found such pleasure in his posting of his Ki-Rin army as it decimated the Orc camp, I just had to run out and see how far I could get my own herd.

I lucked onto the Oaks Spawn just as the Ki-Rins were spawning and knew this to be a good omen. I gathered up a small brigade and decided to wander as far as my troops would take me. We headed west along the southern shore of Ilshen Lake and stopped for rest at Lakeshire. The Meer Captain was suitably impressed by the discipline of my marching mass. I could see he wished to call his troops and join our ranks, but I guess his duties required him to defend Lakeshire. We travelled on Northwesterly from there through the slim pass below the River of Unity and towards the Shrine of Justice. Several holligans there saw fresh blood and began to attack me, but were quickly overwhelmed, leaving many imp headless and reaper remains to the hungry herd of horses.

It took some small effort to regain my ranks and run past the Shrine and soon we were at the great entrance to Mistas. A few Juka were hidden in the forests outside and lasted only slightly longer than the headless and imps, and reforming ranks again we marched into Mistas. The abandoned city held one Golem alone within its walls, so we quickly marched southward towards the Shrine of Honesty.

Unimpressed with the imps near Justice and remembering more of the same near Honesty, I wasn't anxious to enter another small spawn that would wreak havoc on my troops discipline. And so I headed unto the Cyclops' Pyramid. An occasional Ettin would senselessly attempt to hide from our army, but soon enough we'd kept our way and were through the tunnel and into the crumbling home of the Cyclops and Titan.

My army quickly began a full assault on the inhabitants and I became so overwhelmed with looting the spoils I must admit my failure as a Commander. Although the troops were quite capable of destroying all the spawn within the Pyramid, even the Paragons, I let them disperse too far and wide and soon they began to fall to the heavy spawn of increasingly more powerful foe.

I'm certain if I had kept better reign over my troops, encouraging them to stay together and grouped in a smaller area, where their numbers would have supported each other against the powerful Paragon Titans spawning quickly, that they would have lasted much longer. But the corpses were so thick I could only think of the gold I would miss if I didn't quickly loot them.

Perhaps the next great march may be led by someone more capable, and would I ever enjoy seeing such a report here.

Attachments

C

CallMeIshmael

Well, after considering the Meer Captain's snub, I'd become quite offended. The more I thought of it, the more cowardly the Meer appeared. How dare they offered me no assistance, when I brought through their sad collapsing home a thriving, vibrant army. Well, if they chose not to interact with my fine Ki-Rin army, then I would bring them an army they would interact with... inspired from someone's (forgive me, i remember not who) suggestion, I thought I'd bring a Greater Dragon to the Meer. This should be fun...

[/IMG]

Gathering a few friends from the Valor champion spawn I headed to the once great Meer city.

[/IMG]

A passerby stopped to admire my troops as we prepared entry into Lakeshire. I warned him, Be careful, you never know what mischief is about.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Soon enough the Meer were utterly defeated. We'd hunted them in the city proper, through their fine orchard, and finally my troops rested atop the city in victory. I'd looted some gold and many bags of reagents, but felt I'd overlooked something important.

Now what?

I can't just leave these great beasts here for some poor traveler to chance upon. I must dispose of this army... well then, to the Oaks spawn, no?

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Well, this was not going to work... and worse... the spawn was active and many people might get bitter over a troop of Greater Dragons being herded all the way over here for no other obvious reason than to grief them! Now my poor Commanding was really showing. I suppose I'll have to gather up the troops and return to Valor.

Wait! An inspiration! Why not gather another Ki-Rin army and bring them to my Greater Dragon troops? Why not, indeed!

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Well, the Greater Dragons proved too strong for even such a strong regiment of Ki-Rins and Unicorns... and once again I despaired, until I saw another tamer. And thankfully he disposed of my remaining soldier and I felt it safe to leave, having had a great adventure and enjoying something new, once again, in this wonderful world.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
oh crud... now you all have me wanting to play .... time to go work hearding lol

very cool stuff

M

MoneyMaker

Great shots!

I fear, that now, I must go train yet another skill. Herding.
Much mischief to come, to all of our delight!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Makes Heidi's Epic Journey that I put on the site pale by comparison. Maybe I should replace her story with yours or add yours to the information as a extra?
I only took one Greater, although for a longer walk.

O

Old Man of UO

Makes Heidi's Epic Journey that I put on the site pale by comparison. Maybe I should replace her story with yours or add yours to the information as a extra?
I only took one Greater, although for a longer walk.
ADD a second link - no need to replace the original! Nice story CallMeIshmael. :thumbsup:

Two days ago I went to herd dragons away to Oaks spawn. For some reason all I could find were one dragon and one greater. No worries, I took the two and found the dragon dies quickly, the greater does quite well on its own. Next time I am going to keep farming dragons until all greaters spawn and try herding then again.

Since my fun fizzled a bit, I started herding all the unicorns and ki-rins around the other folks who were working the Oaks spawn. OH of course I was hidden and stealthed! After I had about 30 of them following me while I was hidden, the other folks stopped beating on the spawn and started following my small army, wondering what the heck was going on! Just that was worth doing the herding.

I grabbed my armor and dragged them to the rat men spawn down the road, and let them have fun. In a short while I had 17,000 gold and over 2,000 arrows - one of the fastest ways to collect arrows that I've found. I have pics, not sure if they are worth posting after seeing what a great job CallMeIshamael did.

NOW, what I am wondering, what can a Dread stealth herder do in Felucca for fun?

T

Turdnugget

How do you get the greater dragons to Oaks spawn?

What road do you take? Not sure where all the dragons spawn in Ilsh other than near Valor..

O

Old Man of UO

First off, here is the Ilshenar map for reference:
http://uo.stratics.com/content/atlas/IlshenarBig.jpg

Now, start at the Valor Champ spawn, gather up all the dragons that you want to herd. Next head south all the way to the Honesty moongate, and turn east towards Mistas. Go across the bridge to Mistas but keep going east through the pass that will take you to Lakeshire. Follow the lake around east to the Oaks Champ spawn.

A bit of advice, avoid Lakeshire to the west and then stay as close to the lakeshore as you can once you get past Lakeshire. Anything blue will cause the dragons to target it and you will lose the herding and have to start again.

It took me about 15 minutes to go from one end to the other with dragons while stealthed.