• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player Event) 3 New Game Ideas (Need some suggestions/help)

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
#1 Battleship:
Simple enough to plan out, two floors of an 18x18 are converted into the play area. Each floor gets a 10x10 section designated as the "board". Communication Crystals would serve to connect the two halves of the board during game play.

Tokens of some type would have to be used to designate the boat strikes and misses. When players arrived they would be split into two teams, each team would decide on its own play rotation, then place their boats by writing their placement down in a provided book (example: Battleship is at A1-A3). Access between floors would be restricted (probably with owner only teleporters).

The rest of the event would play out as the original does, with each team taking turns "firing" and trying to sink the other's fleet. Or in order to speed up the game a little it could be played with the "salvo" rule, where a team gets as many shots per turn as the # of boats they have left.

#2 Capture the Flag:
Since they broke paintball with the last publish (flagging and moving inside a house boots you) my brothers and I have decided to try to turn paintball into a capture the flag event. Setup would require a partially enclosed area in fel, that we could block off (we have found one such area but wont post further info b/c of potential griefers), a bunch of weighted bag balls, and something that could be used as a flag for each side, possibly the flags we had been using as decoration in the paintball event (the really tall ones, i forget the name off hand).

Once setup the game would proceed just like paintball, the teams would meet in the middle of the play area and flag on me, then when i say go they would proceed to blow each other up and try and capture the other team's flag by bringing it back to their own side.

#3 Battle Stratego (for lack of a better name):
Also since they broke paintball, we have been tossing around this idea. A group of people would go to the paintball arena sprea out in a designated area, be given a bag containing some scrolls, potions, maybe a dart or ninja star even, then they would flag and try to be the last person standing. The trick is the fighting goes thru a rotation (me, followed by person x, followed by y, etc) and you are only allowed one action per round. Knowing when to use your heal potion, or when to cast stonewall in front of your self, or when to poision someone would be key to success.

They need some work so give me some suggestions =)

Damia TMC

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ha ha i love the battle ship idea and with comm crystals you don't even have to be in the same house

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Probably be easier for Fluffy to referee and supervise in the same house tho.

And why the hell did they break paintball, etc? Seriously, and I mean no offense to anyone, certaainly I'm not trying to start a war here, but how can fighting/flagging in a fel house have much impact on anyone else's gameplay? Are there that many PvP'ers attacking unsuspecting innocents from their houses? I'm sure it does happen once in a while, but enough to warrant spending the dev time on it, as well as killing established games and stuff. Once again, I think we fixed some stuff that wasn't necessarily broken...but then that's just my opinion.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Battleship, instead of keeping it written down where the ships are, give each team empty packs, Dye enough of em white to make the ship tiles, dye blue ones for misses, and red ones for hits...just stack the red on top of the white when your ship is hit? Well, that made sense until I typed it *shrugs*

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Hehehe Im sure we can come up with something for ship tiles, the reason i had people writing down their ship locations was because in real battle ship, you technically have two boards per player, one side is for your ships and the other is for your guess/shots. Cant have teams putting their ships on the same board as their guessed shots/hits, it would get confusing. this is my only stumbling block for that event by the way.

jopromol

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love the battleship idea fluff, and if planned right, its a really cool twist on a classic game. Might I suggest a referee in each house however as I recall even in the regular game of battleships, sometimes i would get confused with the whole "A4, up, down, left errr... wait which tile?" thing. ;) Might also be time consuming which is always problematic for people with adhd.

Also for paintball, flag should be something noticeable that could be held in a players hand, worn (like a cloak) or soemthing so that players know who actually is carrying the flag. That, and we should actually try out our projected spot first. Oh yea, how about trapping healers in their as well for instant ressurection? Justa thought.

Last edited:

Damia TMC

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uriah is actually on to something here with the packs. Bags or back packs can be dyed. Make the floor a checker board type thing, place bags dyed blue for the sea, dye your ships gray, and then use red or white for guesses. When the gray (ships) are gone you have your winner. A ref can either watch, or dye the bags. You can use books across the top and down the sides with the title a b c and down the side 1 2 3 ect.

You can also use the same checkerboard for checkers, or human checkers using people instead of bag balls.

It would be fun to see a UO version of Harry Potter's Wizards Chess, where instead of the proper chess move, the "pawns" would fight for who gets to keep the spot. Rule 1 both "chess pieces" must stand on the same square and fight it out, no moving, if you step off the space, you lose automatically and are out of the game. Rule 2 each chess piece must follow standard chess movement rules, ie the knight can't move like a pawn. One person is team captain and calls the shots, however all team members are in party and can help with the decision, but the captains call stands.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Battle chess. We did that a few times on Atlantic when I was there. Was quite fun, especially when you equip the different pieces in different outfits =) Biggest problem we had was getting everyone allied so they could fight...but it was also proposed to do it in Fel and just hire a large pvp alliance to guard it. Was the only times I ever saw the Nujelm chessboard used for anything lol

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
You know I would love to run a battle chess, before my last uo break i did try but i think we had only five people total interested lol would make for a difficult chess match when everyone had to play and remember moves for six diffrent pieces =) But I could always try again.

ShadowTrauma

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I'll start tinkering with the battleship idea in regards to the board etc... I always wondered how battle chess would work. Do the two players just go at it with whatever templates they are on? Stuff like that, hehehe, so many questions.

Last edited:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well I'll start tinkering with the battleship idea in regards to the board etc... I always wondered how battle chess would work. Do the two players just go at it with whatever templates they are on? Stuff like that, hehehe, so many questions.
I can only go with what I remember...Pawns wore ringmail and were warrior class, only exeptional crafted items
no pots...bandies were okay

Bishops were mages, and wore onlly except crafted leather.
Knights were warriors and mounted...were allowed plate armor and bandies
Rooks could be either class, any armor that was only exceptional

King any armor, no healing at all. (or else the game would never end LOL)
Queen, as always, the most powerful piece on the board, could wear any style armor as long as it wasn't loaded with mods...

One player each side called the moves, standard rules applied. If two pieces ended up in attack spots, then they fought it out, with the winner keeping the spot (even a pawn could take a queen...didnt happen often tho). Fight rules were much like a duel, start at the same time, and must stay within a 3 square area of the tile being contested. Anyone who stepped out, or off the board was DQ'd.

The armor restrictions made for a pretty fair playing field. The sampires were killable, because they had no life leech, etc. No tamer pet, no summons...we tried to keep it true to the intent of the game.

We never had enough people either. So we played with who we had, and had books filling in the blanks, named according to their place on the board. As people were eliminated from their starting roles, they stepped back in and picked up a book and became that char... Like I said, was a blast, but could easily be a pain to run LOL