• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

2D Client and Vista

A

Azureal

Any known issues? Ive been toying with the idea of buying a cheap laptop (I work in an electrical goods store, go go staff discount!) and 99.9% of all laptops now come with Vista pre-installed. Having only fiddled with Vista a few times its not my first choice, but Im more than happy to give it a go under the proviso that UO will be compatible with the client.

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I havent had any problems running Ultima online, or UO assist on vista, and its been about 2 months now.

J

jelinidas

I play on a cheapy laptop almost all of the time. Vista is a memory hog though, so I suggest you upgrade to add as much mem as you can. I have zero problems.

Mister E.

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heh...if you dont like Vista you can always reformat and install XP. :)

Personally I wont bother to upgrade for another service pack or two. Too many horseflies...(yes horseflies!! they are too pasky and big to be just considered bugs :p )

Nylan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have not found any problems with Vista and UO or UOA.
We have had 3 machines running it for a while now.
But as stated before Vista is a memory hog.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only issue I have on Vista is minor. When starting up the 2D client, the uo.exe app (the patcher) never closes, so I have to close it from Task Manager. A small workaround is to launch client.exe to start UO and only launch uo.exe when you need to patch.

L

Lord Drakelord

My daughter brought me this E machine at Best Buys with her income tax refund, last Jan, and it had vista pre installed, the only issue I had was installing UOA, you need to make sure you have admin rights to install. Other then that I have had a very enjoyble time on this PC, made my old PC look like a old dino.

D

DVI

The only issue I have on Vista is minor. When starting up the 2D client, the uo.exe app (the patcher) never closes, so I have to close it from Task Manager. A small workaround is to launch client.exe to start UO and only launch uo.exe when you need to patch.
I have the same problem, but not consistently, but for the increased speed I get from my computer I'm willing to put up with a slight inconvenience such as that.

U

UOGuy...

Personally I wont bother to upgrade for another service pack or two. Too many horseflies...(yes horseflies!! they are too pasky and big to be just considered bugs :p )
I agree, at least two more SPs, before I try it again... Yes, I tried it for 30 days and was sooo feed up with its "Bugs", I got another copy of XP MCE right away...

I didn't even get to the point of trying to load Games onto it.... Tooo many other Bugs....

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have the same problem, but not consistently, but for the increased speed I get from my computer I'm willing to put up with a slight inconvenience such as that.

not closing the little launch window task manager will report 60% usage, as soon as it's closed it drops to 10%, for me, anyway.... and it's consistent about staying there for me, also.. I've never not had to manually close it

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Considering XP only recently went to SP3, you may have to wait another 6 years for Vista SP3. By then we'll probably be having this same conversation about Windows 8 (Vista being Windows 6).

By the way, what bugs are you talking about? From my 18 months of experience with Vista, it doesn't appear buggy to me. The only ones I've really had to deal with were some of the multimedia bugs, but most of those were resolved with updated video drivers, Codecs, and a couple hotfixes (the hotfixes and video drivers were required by XP as well). I have it on 2 home computers (Ultimate) and 4 work PC's (Enterprise) and none have suffered any kind of Blue screen...ever. The only time I restart them is when I install a security hotfix. Other than that, they run 24/7 (usually in sleep mode when I'm not using them). Vista is a smidgeon slower on older hardware, but so was XP when it came out in 2001.

Also, please remember...even at the age of 7, XP still has bugs. An average of 4 or 5 security patches come out every month for XP, and numerous bug hotfixes are available.

So I have to say I'm very satisfied with Windows Vista though I see no reason to upgrade a current system from XP to Vista.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sometimes for installing/patching you will need to start the program per right click/run as Administrator.
And you will have to get used to the higher screen resolution on TFT, which makes the gameplay window much smaller, if this is part of the switch.
*Salute*
Olahorand

B

burnttrees

on my system i triple boot vista Slackware and Ubuntu. i run uo2d on all 3 of them the only thing i would suggest for vista is if you get the home premium version turn off some of the extra effects of vista as they can sometimes cause probs with the graphics showing thru onto your game ie. the side bar and also the translucency has a tendency to use up system resources other then that its pretty nice but i only turn it on to either test KR or to get the updates and see if its worth using yet

as for downgrading your system make sure there are drivers for the hardware provided from the manufacturer for your system or laptop as some of the newer hardware only have vista drivers

p.s. if i hadn't got a 50% discount off the home premium version i most likely wouldn't have bought it.

i forgot to mention when setting up vista create 2 accounts one admin and one user then when you goto install the game do it under user so you dont have to have the admin permissions for the game updates

T

Trebr Drab

Same here.

L

love2winalot

Hail: Not UO releated, but vista will not run some older games. Some other sites have patches you can download to get around it, like for Heroes of M&M 3-4, as example.

F

Farscape

2d works fine in Vista all you need to do is tune it in along with the simple things like "do not be too greedy with all the added items in vista"stay in the middle of the road
I upgraded to support KR waited for it to download mind you that was a joke in its self and tried it
That was the second joke so it was a very funny exercise and the moral of the story is if it's not broken do not fix it
2d is great

Erekose

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Works fine, don't worry about it. KR and 2D both run flawlessly on Vista. Same with UOA.

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just bought a machine (desktop) from best buy 2 weeks ago and have no problems running UO or UOA.I do have vista installed too.I havent played uo too much yet,I been having too much fun(yes,real fun) learning about my new vista OS.My previous comp had windows 98(just plain 98 not se ot antihng else heheh).But it runs 2d and KR sweetly.

A

Azureal

Sounds awesome folks. Going to end up buying it. In regards to the ram, Ive heard that before, and will plan to cram as much ram in there as possible.

Thanks for all the great replies.