• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

250 Point Tinker BODs

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's a bit of a problem with the points here.

Small BOD, 20 tongs ex, needs 35 tinkering skill, a GM tinker can knock them out in one go.

Small BOD, 20 Fancy Wind Chimes ex, needs 80 tinkering skill and you're turning out something in the region of 100 items to get the ones you need. For the same points.

Even with a good tali, you're going to fail or just make a normal item more often than not.

The points need to reflect the ingredients and the difficulty level of what you're making.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There's a bit of a problem with the points here.

Small BOD, 20 tongs ex, needs 35 tinkering skill, a GM tinker can knock them out in one go.

Small BOD, 20 Fancy Wind Chimes ex, needs 80 tinkering skill and you're turning out something in the region of 100 items to get the ones you need. For the same points.

Even with a good tali, you're going to fail or just make a normal item more often than not.

The points need to reflect the ingredients and the difficulty level of what you're making.
That would actually take a dev that thinks things through as a player, but they're not players of the game they develop for. This rollout is a clear example of that.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've answered this several times in other threads.

The problem is that due to lack of programming resources, they expanded the existing system instead of building a new one from scratch.

The original BOD system dates from 2001 (with programming going back to 2000 or earlier), and the original system (Smith) only had to work with one material that was normal iron, and the 8 special colors. All smalls were programmed to be equal value, with the difference in COST and POINTS coded into the LARGE BOD side of the system. The closer to 100 Skill you needed to be, the more points the large was worth - the ingots consumed per item was a secondary factor that was minor, by comparison. And, of course, ore type applied equally to small and large (which is why, today, the point banking system is weighted toward larges, as there's not enough difference between small and large to justify filling a large for stuff like Ringmail if they used the same percentage for smalls and larges).

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, I can get all that. But this could have been taken as an opportunity to sort the whole system out, instead of tacking a new bit onto an old bit?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
TY @Basara for the insight and people also need to understand that when this was all done way back when we had what 20+ programmers with more knowledge of the old code and today we have what 5 people total working on UO. The new BOD is far superior to the old system, yes there are some bugs to work out, but it makes me wounder how many of the nay sayers actively did the old BOD system. The simple fact that they did away with the %10 to upgrade a reward and the ability to turn in a 10X Copper SBOD and get PoF, yes I know I lose a few points, whoop tee doo at least I get something for it and not just throw it away.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did, and have done for years. I'm a bank scavenging packrat; if you drop it on the floor, I'll pick it up and fill it!

nextwindow

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
also remember back in the day, there was a bug in the smithy bods that let you "smelt" the unfilled bod and get ingots from it.

Grazz't1970

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Someone create yet another thread about this same topic. Haven't seen enough different entries yet...

Or get crazy and tag one of the few people that can even change it....

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
also remember back in the day, there was a bug in the smithy bods that let you "smelt" the unfilled bod and get ingots from it.
I just missed out on that one :p - though that's one of the reasons there was such a glut of iron ingots for such a long time.

What I miss is the ability to recycle non-exceptional Dragon Barding deeds (though ASH are common enough now for there to be no reason to make one not exceptional), and the +1 ingot per smith item salvaged that was DECLARED to be intentional by several devs, but was declared a bug and removed by other devs a year after those devs who declared it intentional had been let go by EA.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just missed out on that one :p - though that's one of the reasons there was such a glut of iron ingots for such a long time.

What I miss is the ability to recycle non-exceptional Dragon Barding deeds (though ASH are common enough now for there to be no reason to make one not exceptional), and the +1 ingot per smith item salvaged that was DECLARED to be intentional by several devs, but was declared a bug and removed by other devs a year after the other devs had been let go by EA.

What I miss is the ability to recycle non-exceptional Dragon Barding deeds (though ASH are common enough now for there to be no reason to make one not exceptional), and the +1 ingot per smith item salvaged that was DECLARED to be intentional by several devs, but was declared a bug and removed by other devs a year after those devs who declared it intentional had been let go by EA.
Believed in it so much, you had to say it twice huh? :p

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
System glitch - apparently it acted like I hit post twice. And, there's a "feature" with some posters (mostly staff) where the posting box retains its text for DAYS after you reply to or start a thread, so accidental double-posting is a lot more likely to occur.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I drop the fancy wind chimes. The only reason to do any of the small tinker BODs that don't change ingot types is to get another BOD. Tailoring gives cloth and smith give a garg pickaxe for the small BODs. Tinkering gives nothing you can use for 250 points.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I drop the fancy wind chimes. The only reason to do any of the small tinker BODs that don't change ingot types is to get another BOD. Tailoring gives cloth and smith give a garg pickaxe for the small BODs. Tinkering gives nothing you can use for 250 points.
Tinkering Rewards
Item Description Cost
Tinker Tool Kit •250 charge crafting tool 10
Reward Title •Metallurgist 25
Reward Title •Dabbler 50
Reward Title •Fixer 210
Recipe •Kotl Black Rod 225
Reward Title • Clockmaker 250
It just may be something you do not want but there are rewards there.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Tinkering Rewards
Item Description Cost
Tinker Tool Kit •250 charge crafting tool 10
Reward Title •Metallurgist 25
Reward Title •Dabbler 50
Reward Title •Fixer 210
Recipe •Kotl Black Rod 225
Reward Title • Clockmaker 250

It just may be something you do not want but there are rewards there.
Bought the Kotl stuff already. After an hour I have the Titles. Tinkers can make tools. (why use 250 points for a 10 point item..) Duh

Theres nothing useful in the tinker or cooking BODs for 250 points. @Kyronix Add a pile of 100 ingots to tinkering and a stack of fruit to cooking for 250 points

Now try again Frodo fanboi.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bought the Kotl stuff already. After an hour I have the Titles. Tinkers can make tools. (why use 250 points for a 10 point item..) Duh

Theres nothing useful in the tinker or cooking BODs for 250 points. @Kyronix Add a pile of 100 ingots to tinkering and a stack of fruit to cooking for 250 points

Now try again Frodo fanboi.
Whatever You show me all those 250 use tools you make %100

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whatever You show me all those 250 use tools you make %100
You go to great lengths to defend poor development. 2 ingots make a 150 to 180 use tinker tool. 10 fancy wind chimes cost 150 ingots and will get you 1 250 use tinker tool. Ill make my own...

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You go to great lengths to defend poor development. 2 ingots make a 150 to 180 use tinker tool. 10 fancy wind chimes cost 150 ingots and will get you 1 250 use tinker tool. Ill make my own...
And you go to GREAT lengths to put down everything. Its a 10 point BOD what do you want for it 1M in gold and 10 Val Hammers. Ysay there is NOTHING and I proved you wrong, just because you do not want them does not mean others may not. We are here to play UO our own way and not yours. Am I getting on your case for you wanting to make your own, no but I am showing everybody else just how utterly wrong you are. And please feel free to ask anybody. esp the MODs how much of a fanboy I am as you so elegantly tried to put it, now that was funny.