• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Throwing] 2017 Templates

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So since it looks like UO will never allow Human Throwers, I've gone made a Garg (fecking ugly things)
With the recent changes to combat in the last publish, what would be the Temp I should head towards for PvM.

I kinda like the idea of a Poisoning/Thrower but is this even possible with throwing weapons?

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
The Poisoning on a Thrower would only really function as a means to auto cure. Poisoning is very good for this I use 65 on my Dragoon and it's about the same as being in Vamp Form, only marginally better in that you have some chance on stronger Poisons.

I'm currently split on my opinion regarding Throwers. On the one hand Warriors Gift, plus the innate gargoyle HCI is potentially very useful for suit building, you would have 5 Str, 10 HCI, 5 DCI while naked, you also get 5 DI but it is part of the 300% cap from spells, not the 100% from items which would be more useful. On the other hand they have just added to Doom a restriction on Armour Ignore on 2-3 of the rooms, meaning that Throwing is potentially less viable there than Archery (which can have Yumi for Double Shot).

That said, they're still a powerhouse on everything else.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What would be your recommendation on a template incorporating Poisoning then?
I like the idea of not having to use Vamp form, I could possibly use Ninja instead of Necro?
I'm not really into big "end boss" gaming, I just like to be able to explore dungeons and such without dirt-napping instantly ;)
I'm normally one of those weird players that take the champ spawns upto the boss then leave.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I wouldn't build a PvM template around Poisoning other than on a Mage or Necro/Mage as low damage ticks cause counter attacks in many areas which isn't beneficial. Or, as with my Dragoon, to use up left over points in something defensively useful.

If you're looking to build a Thrower, I currently run:
120 Throwing
120 Tactics
120 Bushido
120 Anatomy
100 Necro
70 Spirit Speak
70 Chivalry
So I can use Vamp Form or Wraith Form and Curse Weapon with either.

Alternatively if you just wanted Wraith Form/Curse Weapon I'd go 60 Necro/60 SS and bump Chivalry to 120. I'd also consider a Healing version possibly dropping the Necro/SS or Bushido. I'd also consider a 120 Swords/120 Throwing sampire as it is functionally very good for multiple areas.

Or a Mystic hybrid for dropping Colossus. Though I would probably go Mace instead of Throwing as it has better weapon synergy with Stone Form.

Pretty much any Ninja template is going to have great survivability depending how you play it.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, so i'm thinking i'll never be a Throwing Ninja without having to use wraith/vamp (I really don't like Necro).
So I've picked up on this idea of a Poisoning/Ninja.
Fencing = 120
Ninja = 120
Chiv = 120
Poison = GM
Tact = 90
Anat = 90
Healing = 80

I really like the idea of using White Tiger mastery as it gives Bleed attack and a lot of my Fencing weapons have Blood Drinking on them.
I would assume this type of char could be any race? It's a lot easier to get clothings ect for Human than Garg, plus if not using Throwing then is there any benefit of a Garg char?

Last edited:

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
You can be a Throwing/Ninja without Necro/SS. It'd be the same as template you posted but with Throwing instead of Fencing.

The benefit of being a gargoyle on a Ninja is your not wasting money needing a mount when you spend most of your time in forms, you get innate 5 HCI (which you can combine with Warriors Gift/Wolf Form to take a large chunk of it off of your suit if you wanted to), the Ninja play style is based more around high base damage than anything else as you're not using specials in forms - therefore Throwing which has a high base damage is better than Fencing which has the lowest.

You can't use Poisoning in forms, other than for darts/stars and it's not really super effective anywhere, about the best use for it is killing things like Cu Sidhe that bandage. It works very well for defense as it will auto cure you a great deal of the time. You don't need it on your template to use Serpent Form which Poisons when you hit or Frog Form which Poisons when you get hit. Parasitic/Darkglow Poisons will heal you.

If you're going to use White Tiger Form which has Bleed/Evade then I'd check that Blood Drinker actually works with it on Test Center - it might just work from the special haven't tried it. Personally I think Ninjas are best built around Cat/Dog Form (60 HPR - with a further 18 on suit, and 2 from human if you're going for max), and/or Mirror Images with 4/6 casting. They still work for most fights but you have to remember if you're using forms, you're basically going to be putting EoO on, going into form, then auto defending. It works for most champion spawns, you can auto defend Meph to death with Throwing, and forms will prevent Semidar's anti-male damage so you can kill her with a Ninja too. Only one I haven't tried on a Throwing Ninja is Oaks though as Fey is Imbuable now I doubt it's a problem, the rest are easy.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I couldn't apply say a deadly poison to my blade, then go into Tiger form and attack with that blade with a high chance to poison the Mob?
I saw from the latest meet/greet that you should be able to use Blood Drinking in Tiger form, its bugged at moment but Bleak is gonna look into it.

I'll prob drop back into Human form for this thou as gold isn't a problem but it seems getting hold of Garg armour on Europa is a BIG problem... :/

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gonna sound like a daft question but do you know a good mob I should be hunting (about GM level on skills so far) to be finding lesser arti or higher equipment for a garg?
Having a hard time trying to put a suit together for a garg or find decent throwing weapons.

If I was to drop the GM Poisoning, what would you suggest I use the points on from using the Template above, is Bush needed as a thrower?

I appreciate all the help your giving me by the way ;)

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Gonna sound like a daft question but do you know a good mob I should be hunting (about GM level on skills so far) to be finding lesser arti or higher equipment for a garg?
Having a hard time trying to put a suit together for a garg or find decent throwing weapons.

If I was to drop the GM Poisoning, what would you suggest I use the points on from using the Template above, is Bush needed as a thrower?

I appreciate all the help your giving me by the way ;)
All the Stygian Abyss mini champion spawns, Stygian Dragon, Medusa, or SA treasure maps. I'd recommend using some of the VvV items, if your only playing in tram rule sets no reason not to. For example you can get a gargoyle version Crimson Cincture, Mace & Shield Glasses, Primer On Arms Talisman all enhanced with extra stats. I'd also recommend making an Imbuer they prove invaluable especially on shards like Europa. If you've got another main shard somewhere maybe transfer over some resources to train up.

Bushido works on any template, you'd only really need 60 to use Perfection which would work well with being in forms, you could also lower Tactics to 60 as that is all that is needed for special moves now. You could then bump Anatomy/Healing to 120. Or alternatively add Parry. I've been wanting to play a wep/shield user a lot lately but their not usually the strongest in terms of damage output and that holds me back.

I once used the Virtue suit (blessed, all 70's, self repair) and The Holy Sword (blessed, self repair, Undead slayer, UBWS) on a 7x GM Ninja as a free way to solo Doom. Your equipment never wears out and there's no insurance so you can stay there and farm forever.

Ru TnT

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're going to use White Tiger Form which has Bleed/Evade then I'd check that Blood Drinker actually works with it on Test Center - it might just work from the special haven't tried it.
Neither Bleed Attack, nor White Tiger form's bleed activate Blood Drinker while in tiger form. The tiger's bleed will activate Blood Drinker if you revert to human form. Both bleeds will activate Blood Drinker while in the normal ninja forms. I'm not sure about the talisman forms, as I did not have any available to try out.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I have Bushido, can I still get away with just using a 1 hand weapon? Or do I need to have parry now aswell?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Check out my thread here about the Thrower I made last summer: [Throwing] - THROWING TEMPLATE HELP NEEDED

It's actually one of my top damagers now. It takes a bit of tweaking to get used to (plus you need the right suit), but worth it once you get into a groove you're comfortable with. Good luck!