• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] 2 story statue blessed is normal?

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Item bless deed was used maybe?

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Huge increase in the number of these appearing, beware.
Yeah I would be hesitant as well, been hearing rumors....just sayin'
Weren't those statues heavily duped in the past? I don't think that's anything new and could be an increase with EJ/People re-opening old accounts... I agree with @Ducan IronWeaver regarding their spike in price for the last few years but can't see anyone really paying more than 1 plat for one

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The mechanic involved with duping these was fixed long ago but a different kind seems to have popped up.

I have no direct proof, only Mesanna has that, but this former "rare" is quite common now. Several hundred exist across the shards, at least. They are also appearing in both directions, not just the original. Dunno if the new ones can be turned but the original server birth could not.

IDOCS: Finding one or two in a year was normal up until recently but over the past few months that number has jumped a great deal. If you have one drop it on a vendor momentarily to see if it's a legal item.

Last edited:

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The mechanic involved with duping these was fixed long ago but a different kind seems to have popped up.

I have no direct proof, only Mesanna has that, but this former "rare" is quite common now. Several hundred exist across the shards, at least. They are also appearing in both directions, not just the original. Dunno if the new ones can be turned but the original server birth could not.

IDOCS: Finding one or two in a year was normal up until recently but over the past few months that number has jumped a great deal. I've gotten a couple in a bag, another well known idocer got several(still has 2 in a pouch at his shop), other regulars have gotten them, heck, even Polaris got one recently :)

Just saying, they went from holy grail find rare at idocs to surprisingly common. To me this means the mechanic for getting rid of duped items when a house falls isn't working properly right now, or maybe it's that they were in bags where you usually find duped items... I dunno, just be careful.

If you have one drop it on a vendor momentarily to see if it's a legal item.
How does dropping it on vendor show if it's legit?

I've had my 2 on Europa since.. well 1998-1999 or something. (I lied, I moved it from LS when shard x-fers opened up)
Mine used to speak. The first duped ones didnt. Possibly later generation duping got speak to work too, so I suspect Broadsword removed speech script cause each statue would have a huuuuge array of names that had passed each statue and got the message once.

(they'd only ever speak the first time you walked infront of them)

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I don't think this was ever a truly legit item unless one was not locked down on day one. They were basically not duped orginaly either, they were taken from the game by abusing mechanics that were fixed a long time ago. What you'll learn by dropping them on a vendor temporarily is if they pass the game's "legit item" check, does your vendor let you put them up for sale or does it reject them?

Anyway, back on topic, I am simply seeing too many of them over the past couple of months not to have become suspicious. It's not just how many, it's who as well.

Ruby Knight

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Nevermind, the knower of all things in all of UO has set me straight on dying the statues. I want to thank him publicly for all his attempts to humiliate me in game. I hope one day he gets the therapy that he so truly needs and deserters so that one day he can be a better person and not attack people when they ask questions or not know all things that he does. Maybe he just needs a hug. Unfortunately I have put him on permanent ignore so it will never be me who hugs him. Hats off to you Mr. KnowItAllAndCan'tFindItWithinHimselfToNotPubliclyAttackMeForNotKnowing You make UO go round.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't think this was ever a truly legit item unless one was not locked down on day one. They were basically not duped orginaly either, they were taken from the game by abusing mechanics that were fixed a long time ago. What you'll learn by dropping them on a vendor temporarily is if they pass the game's "legit item" check, does your vendor let you put them up for sale or does it reject them?

Anyway, back on topic, I am simply seeing too many of them over the past couple of months not to have become suspicious. It's not just how many, it's who as well.
The dupe detection patch with vendors never included any kind of rares on purpose, so 100% of these will go on vendors whether they're duped or not. One of the things that showed how broken the dupe detector is was that despite rares never being added to its database at all, some legitimate rares won't go on vendors because of glitches in shard transfers anyway.

As for their origin, the two story statues were never supposed to be in player hands. There were two per shard sitting next to a staircase in a dungeon, and a GM forgot to lock them down before the shards went live for the first time. Players picked them up and kept them. Afterwards every time a new shard was released there would be two more to pick up. There were only around 30ish originally, but they've been duped so badly there's probably 300+ by now anyway even before this possible new dupe.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The dupe detection patch with vendors never included any kind of rares on purpose, so 100% of these will go on vendors whether they're duped or not. One of the things that showed how broken the dupe detector is was that despite rares never being added to its database at all, some legitimate rares won't go on vendors because of glitches in shard transfers anyway.

As for their origin, the two story statues were never supposed to be in player hands. There were two per shard sitting next to a staircase in a dungeon, and a GM forgot to lock them down before the shards went live for the first time. Players picked them up and kept them. Afterwards every time a new shard was released there would be two more to pick up. There were only around 30ish originally, but they've been duped so badly there's probably 300+ by now anyway even before this possible new dupe.
Some of us were there for first shard ups :D
It was always a rush to get the serverbirths . Spawning in town, hurriedly get enough gold to afford a ship or find the shortcuts to teleport to spots to pickup serverbirths. Alternatively play the moongate game in order to travel to the right town. Back in the days when you had to keep tab on the moon phases and time, it was interesting who'd get first to the best rares.

I think I got mine from Lake Superior.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

IDOCS: Finding one or two in a year was normal up until recently but over the past few months that number has jumped a great deal. If you have one drop it on a vendor momentarily to see if it's a legal item.
it was never that rare after the massive dupes, just popular. ive seen old pics with boxes full of 125 of them.

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I would imagine some duped these but there was a simple way of lifting them off the ground using common game mechanics. There is a thread kicking around on another forum somewhere with the guy who had abused this for years before it was patched explaining how he did it. I guess it's OK to mention now since it's impossible to do now but a new one of these was created daily on all shards for years.

Recently however even more of them are showing up and Mesanna's newsletters are saying dupers are getting banned again so... you do the math. Pay for one because you like it and it's a cool item, not because you think it's rare or even worth much.

Thanks for the vendor info.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I would imagine some duped these but there was a simple way of lifting them off the ground using common game mechanics. There is a thread kicking around on another forum somewhere with the guy who had abused this for years before it was patched explaining how he did it. I guess it's OK to mention now since it's impossible to do now but a new one of these was created daily on all shards for years.

Recently however even more of them are showing up and Mesanna's newsletters are saying dupers are getting banned again so... you do the math. Pay for one because you like it and it's a cool item, not because you think it's rare or even worth much.

Thanks for the vendor info.
I sent Mesanna details that dupes were being done in fall of 2016, with details on which vendor/seller. The duped items were on a vendor related to Clops who would later become an EM created items left and right.

If she had followed up on my lead earlier perhaps said player would never have allowed to become an EM.

I sent a reminder 2 years later and she acted quite clueless about the whole debacle.