• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

2 slot Nightmare Training

Trill

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Hi,

Has anyone trained up a 2 slot Nightmare all the way to 5?

If so please can you share your journey and how you feel the build compares to a CU.

Thanks
Trill

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi,

Has anyone trained up a 2 slot Nightmare all the way to 5?

If so please can you share your journey and how you feel the build compares to a CU.

Thanks
Trill
I tested one out training it up with the necro mage ability. It's so-so... necro mage was just to expensive (1501 points) which basically made it a 3 slot mare with the ability to use necro. Since it was a test run I didn't really scroll it up. Not exactly sure yet what I will try on the next one but it won't be necro. Perhaps a Mystic.

I have an AI/Magery Mastery 2-slot trained to 5 and it's alright. I would still prefer a Cu over any type of Nightmare because of the Healing. I too wanted a Necromage Nightmare but the training cost is too damn high. If you get Magery Mastery it only costs 1 point of training.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They have enough points to be equivalent to a Cu template. They are the best magery mastery pet that I have found. Dragon breath is a mana hog.

A 2 slot fire steed also has enough points.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm saving this one until I get scrolls and to see how mana usage changes by the devs.

If I put 600 Mana on it Ill still have points. for scrolls or whatever.

upload_2017-6-13_16-56-19.png

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm currently raising a nox mage mare that is already at 5 slots, it still has poisoning but I will change to mage mastery once it's GM.

so to clarify it's skill's at end will be : Magery Mastery, Poison Breath, Dragon Breath

700 int, 30 MR, 700 mana = appears to be 5 mana regen a second.

(I will edit this post when i'm done testing the effectiveness of magery poison and poison breath)
edit - Ye Nox Mare works, Magery poison scales with your poisoning skill and poison breath works just as effectively as sticking with poisoning as your main magic ability. If you are training a pet to use Magery I can't see a good enough reason why you shouldn't train it in poisioning and switch it back to magery!

To add in comparison to the Cu:
- You can't teach a Cu both poison breath AND an actual magic ability (you'll be stuck with poisoning unable to switch magic ability again)
- Nightmare is obviously better with magery than a Cu with magery, adding magery on a Cu would limit it's points drastically.
- Nightmare is miles better at balancing resists than Cu
- Cu as a melee pet is in a much better position from the start already having 600+ STR (more than double a 2 slot mare) and almost double the HP of a mare. A 2 slot mare being trained up to 3 would need 1900 points roughly to be trained to the Cu standard, remember cu's also have higher base INT and starting resists.

Last edited:

Rellic

Adventurer
I'm currently raising a nox mage mare that is already at 5 slots, it still has poisoning but I will change to mage mastery once it's GM.

so to clarify it's skill's at end will be : Magery Mastery, Poison Breath, Dragon Breath

(I will edit this post when i'm done testing the effectiveness of magery poison and poison breath)
edit - Ye Nox Mare works, Magery poison scales with your poisoning skill and poison breath works just as effectively as sticking with poisoning as your main magic ability. If you are training a pet to use Magery I can't see a good enough reason why you shouldn't train it in poisioning and switch it back to magery!

- You can't teach a Cu both poison breath AND an actual magic ability (you'll be stuck with poisoning unable to switch magic ability again)
- Nightmare is obviously better with magery than a Cu with magery, adding magery on a Cu would limit it's points drastically.
- Cu as a melee pet is in a much better position from the start already having 600+ STR (more than double a 2 slot mare) and almost double the HP of a mare. A 2 slot mare being trained up to 3 would need 1900 points roughly to be trained to the Cu standard, remember cu's also have higher base INT and starting resists.

So I'm just returned to UO , I have a few old 2 slots with grate stats.

One I want to make a noxmare, I don't see poison breath in the list

I would love any info you have on it and what skills to take first.

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
If a strong mare is what you seek.. the pre pub 97 mare that did not start the training until pub 98 make the best 5 slot mares... as they start as 2 slot and have 200-300 more str then any of the new 2 slot mares that spawn in the wild now.. saving you 600-900 points to add 100-300 extra HP and many other things and making for a mighty mighty mare indeed... bare in mind new changes to the pet system down the line will only make these better.. but if you are looking for a grand pet that will =/> the stats of dread steed... these are the mares to turn too.. =^-^=

Phantasmagorian

Seasoned Veteran
If a strong mare is what you seek.. the pre pub 97 mare that did not start the training until pub 98 make the best 5 slot mares... as they start as 2 slot and have 200-300 more str then any of the new 2 slot mares that spawn in the wild now.. saving you 600-900 points to add 100-300 extra HP and many other things and making for a mighty mighty mare indeed... bare in mind new changes to the pet system down the line will only make these better.. but if you are looking for a grand pet that will =/> the stats of dread steed... these are the mares to turn too.. =^-^=
Which changes down the line?

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Well, There is currently a bug that effects all pets.. in which the school of magic counts toward the 3 move limit... Should they ever correct this then mares would be granted an extra move to their UI.. it would be possible to make a goo,AI,breath,magery mare then..( or many other combos). but not sure when or if this will come about... but the taming system is ever changing and always on the move.. so its possible that if people sand bag those pre 97 mares, dreads and a few other pets... that one day they could be alittle better then your could currently make them... =^-^=

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't think that is considered a bug but rather part of the system. Of course they are always changing systems, but I doubt this will be addressed.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I like the sound of this and would like to hear bit more experiences and so on, in case @Deadly Serious or anyone else has something to share!

Frankly, even though I think this looks a great idea, the process here screams " something a patch broke/fixed at some point. " so I'd like a confirmation this works, still.

Process itself is bit..uncertain for me. Prolly cause I'm pretty new to this and have only ever trained one pet before. Don't wanna ruin my only 2 slot mare.

- - -
Basically, what Deadly Serious describes in quote above is as follows, right?

1. Take Poisoning for your pet, replacing magery.(or does Mare's magery get replaced at all at this point?)
2. Take Poison Breath.
3. GM Poisoning.
4. Pick Magery Mastery, overwriting the poisoning away.( You can actually pick Magery mastery without already having normal magery in template to overwrite?)
- - -

Did I get it right?
If so, how and why does the dropped poisoning keep affecting? I understand you'd pick it to unlock Poison Breath..but why is it meaningful to GM poisoning before dropping it? What of it 'remains'?

Also, I too would love to hear all kinds of other suggestions for other good, fun templates for a pre-patch 2 slot mare. I'd love something that A) works great! (duh) and B) is not a template one would typically give to a post patch tamed Bird or Cu or Beetle anyway.

I've worked it to 3 slot pet so far, just gave it all the resists and some int, mana, bit of the MR and little HP. Unsure where to go from here! I think a single target DPS-focused Nox mare would be my kind of poison..

Last edited:

Cactus_Tony

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I apologize for the necro post, but does this still work on mares? I.E. the above post with nox mage mages?

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I used my magery mastery mare for a bit over the weekend, he was more then happy to cast protection (which lowers physical resist), a lot. Not so sure about the poison mage mare. But I will NOT add magery mastery to another pet, ever

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I used my magery mastery mare for a bit over the weekend, he was more then happy to cast protection (which lowers physical resist), a lot. Not so sure about the poison mage mare. But I will NOT add magery mastery to another pet, ever
I cringe when I see master magery on an animal.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah I put magery mastery on a Serpentine Dragon... it's kinda funny to see him teleport all over heck and back... but at the same time VERY annoying.

TheFarg

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm played UO long time ago. Started in 97-98 when I was 13-14 years old. I just came back after about 7 years absent so my stables were full of 2 slot mares, 3 slot dragons/wyrms/rune beetles etc. The first mare I trained I really wanted to give her necro so I used one of her slot lvl ups on necromage. Finished result at 5-slot put her to about 800 hp, 700 mp, 500 str, 400 int, 150 dex, resists are 80/80/65/70/70, 30 mana regen. Firebreath/Bleed/Necromage. At the start of fights she does major mana dump with necro/magery spells for huge damage output. I know most people don't use the necromage because it costs 1500 training points but if you can get your hands on a 2 slot mare I feel like it was worth it. Not as durable as a 1000hp cu/greater dragon but still able to tank most mobs out there

kgarso

Visitor
what is a solid, cant go wrong, template for a 2 slot nightmare, I don't wanna mess him up, hes got 522 strength and im just starting to level him up,

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
what is a solid, cant go wrong, template for a 2 slot nightmare, I don't wanna mess him up, hes got 522 strength and im just starting to level him up,
the training guide in my signature and picking chivarly spec is a solid cant go wrong template. It's how I do a majority of my prepatch mares. Resists you can do how you want, but with that resist template listed, it's a solid general purpose pet resist spread.

Chivalry has a higher damage output than keeping Magery. Magery will do less damage but heal itself more.

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also see the resist thread here, to get the current methods for setting resists on a pet. I'd hate to see you not have that information and wreck an irreplaceable pet.

Michael Rice

Visitor
the training guide in my signature and picking chivarly spec is a solid cant go wrong template. It's how I do a majority of my prepatch mares. Resists you can do how you want, but with that resist template listed, it's a solid general purpose pet resist spread.

Chivalry has a higher damage output than keeping Magery. Magery will do less damage but heal itself more.
Sorry....new to this board and just returned to the game after about a 15 year absence. I have a whole cadre of old pets I'm trying to make sure I domt mess up.

I can't seem to find the training guide you are referencing. I've checked your posts and your profile but don't see a signature. Any tips for a newbie?

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sorry....new to this board and just returned to the game after about a 15 year absence. I have a whole cadre of old pets I'm trying to make sure I domt mess up.

I can't seem to find the training guide you are referencing. I've checked your posts and your profile but don't see a signature. Any tips for a newbie?

It's on our guild webpage. Uo-cah.com

Michael Rice

Visitor
Thank you so much!!!

I'm assuming this also addresses the resistances that were mentioned by another poster? About to hit your website and read through so I'm sure I'll answer for myself.

Thanks again; I really appreciate the help!

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I would hold of on training prepatch for a bit until we get clarification on the rumors of perks being able to be removed from pets..
For example if dragons breath is possible to he removed nightmares would be super duper awesome. Prepatch even more so..

Would allow for a whole new dynamics of training and make old guides obselete.

Michael Rice

Visitor
Thanks. I'm currently taming mares and training them on crazed mages (well, trying to, anyway) to get the hang of it all. Waiting a bit won't be a problem!

Likely I should post this elsewhere, but i might as well ask. Seems mares and ww are the two big pre patch pets that are good to have. I have one of each, but also a stable full of random pre patch pets. I have a rune beetle, cu, kirin, hiryu, and fire steed. Anything particularly special about any of these guys?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Would allow for a whole new dynamics of training and make old guides obselete.
Nope, building the base pet would not change. You could add another ability onto the same base pet, if they allow it.

If they remove dragon breath from a NM what other ability besides AI would you choose?

You would have a Unicorn or Ki Rin with different damages and more points.

The way the devs do things, your PP Nightmare might go to 3 slots like other PP pets have done.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Nope, building the base pet would not change. You could add another ability onto the same base pet, if they allow it.

If they remove dragon breath from a NM what other ability besides AI would you choose?

You would have a Unicorn or Ki Rin with different damages and more points.
Life Leech on a Nightmare could be interesting if they allowed us to replace the special ability. They should theoretically be able to get it since they are classed as Necromantic.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Life Leech on a Nightmare could be interesting if they allowed us to replace the special ability. They should theoretically be able to get it since they are classed as Necromantic.
Then Ks Nightmares would almost be as good as a Cu. :)

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Base pet will remain the same, therefore our training guide will require little changing, it would determine how people want to use the last 150 points, essentially.

But this all depends how they plan to do it.

If it's like the magics and need to be overwritten it's usefulness will be less, because you will only be able to put another special ability.

These are the the abilities a unicorn has access to, and likely a Nightmare.

Also add Life Leech for it being Necromatic.

Quick breakdown:

Conductive Blast won't be worth it to debuff 20% of a Nightmate's damage type.
Angry Fire, Mana Drain, Raging Breath, Searing Wounds, Steal Life? does anyone use those now?

So it would come down to:
Inferno for the 25% fire debuff (would buff 40% of the nightmares damage)
Repel
Life Leech

Life Leech is intriguing.

If you could remove the ability totally and not have to replace it with anything else...
you have the possibility of an AOE and something like AI or FWW.

In most of those scenarios nothing would change on how you originally spec the Nightmare.

Also, unless Bleak implements it in the holiday content patch, we would be looking at it to not be released until 2019.

Last edited: