• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

TV 13th Doctor Who

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I've been amused with all the folks mad about this.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've been amused with all the folks mad about this.
I agree it's funny to watch the genuine sexists freak out over it being a female actor... but on the other hand some of the concerns I've seen over it seem to have merit. These days TV shows are trying to stick in anything they can to make their show look more inclusive and politically correct to get a bigger audience, but at the same time that comes with the cost of creating gender and race quotas for actors, which people are not happy about.

By that I mean there is no way to know whether they turned away an actor who would have been better at it just because they specifically wanted a female actor for the sake of it being a female actor. Hiring exclusively people of one gender or race to fill a role for the sake of inclusiveness is just as bad as the old days when they would exclude anyone who wasn't what they wanted because they were afraid the general population wouldn't accept female or non-white lead characters.

Would they ever cast a male actor to play Wonder Woman for example? No, of course not, people would think they were insane for doing that since it's a totally female role and always has been. Yet there have been attempts to cast female actors in such roles as spiderman and batman which also have a gender built right into their name. That double standard is what people dislike.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I agree it's funny to watch the genuine sexists freak out over it being a female actor... but on the other hand some of the concerns I've seen over it seem to have merit. These days TV shows are trying to stick in anything they can to make their show look more inclusive and politically correct to get a bigger audience, but at the same time that comes with the cost of creating gender and race quotas for actors, which people are not happy about.

By that I mean there is no way to know whether they turned away an actor who would have been better at it just because they specifically wanted a female actor for the sake of it being a female actor. Hiring exclusively people of one gender or race to fill a role for the sake of inclusiveness is just as bad as the old days when they would exclude anyone who wasn't what they wanted because they were afraid the general population wouldn't accept female or non-white lead characters.

Would they ever cast a male actor to play Wonder Woman for example? No, of course not, people would think they were insane for doing that since it's a totally female role and always has been. Yet there have been attempts to cast female actors in such roles as spiderman and batman which also have a gender built right into their name. That double standard is what people dislike.
Get Ladybeard (Ladybeard) to play Wonder Woman or Beauty on The Beauty and the Beast (he was born to play Belle!) and I will be a very, VERY happy lass.