• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

100% Poison Drake - Training Help, Please

Jennifer-Marie

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Alright ... I admit, I'm new to this taming thing.

The joke around Great Lakes is that I was probably the last female player in UO to make a tamer - which I did just about six months ago and never trained my own pet up until about 6 weeks ago.

For being late to the game, I'm doing fairly stellar at pet training.

Then I stumbled across the very pretty, pretty 100% Poison Platinum Drake ...

He is showing all the promise of becoming a kickass Drake once fully trained ... except I have no freaking clue what to do with him.

I'm so tired of putting Chiv/AI on pets. There has to be some other combination for each pet type and damage type that is just as good as Chiv/AI. There just has to be!

So ... I guess I'm asking for help. Have other people fully trained 100% Poison Platinum Drakes? What did you use?

Currently, he's sitting tight at:

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 08.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg

This is after training from a 2 --> 3 slot, using the first round of training points, and then training 3 --> 4 slot to 100%.

I was considering Spellweaving as the magic ability ... but then I would have no idea what to pair with it and the threads I've read on Spellweaving on pets isn't worth the time and energy.

Then I considered just catering to the Drake's natural ability and add the magic ability Poisoning ... but again: what to pair with it?

So I really need ideas, please.

Addition: I have every intention of doing the following to the Drake's Stats ...

HP: 650-750
STR: 700
MANA & INT (both): 350
HPR: 20
SR: 20
MR: 30

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You will not need 20 stam regen. 10 is enough.
You can choose a poison area ability then ai/chiv. :)

upload_2019-3-2_21-38-40.png

Last edited:

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm so tired of putting Chiv/AI on pets. There has to be some other combination for each pet type and damage type that is just as good as Chiv/AI. There just has to be!
For single target, unfortunately there isn't, except for a all physical pet that fights only low physical resist things, then FWW can outdamage AI. FWW is also very helpful for aoe pets, but a poison drake is not something I would put FWW on.

Think of it from a warrior perspective.

There are lots of weapons for pvm. But warriors mostly use the bladed staff and double axe because they just outperform other weapons.

The pet is the tamers weapon. So for maximum performance, you want different damage spreads pets with Chivalry/AI. If you want purely fun pet or don't care about dps performance there are a host of other specs or abilities. You still would want to look for synergy. But from a pure damage perspective, generally speaking, nothing outperforms a chiv/ai pet.

When i train a pet, i think of first, where I want to be using the pet and what i want it to be capable of.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
For single target, unfortunately there isn't, except for a all physical pet that fights only low physical resist things, then FWW can outdamage AI. FWW is also very helpful for aoe pets, but a poison drake is not something I would put FWW on.

Think of it from a warrior perspective.

There are lots of weapons for pvm. But warriors mostly use the bladed staff and double axe because they just outperform other weapons.

The pet is the tamers weapon. So for maximum performance, you want different damage spreads pets with Chivalry/AI. If you want purely fun pet or don't care about dps performance there are a host of other specs or abilities. You still would want to look for synergy. But from a pure damage perspective, generally speaking, nothing outperforms a chiv/ai pet.

When i train a pet, i think of first, where I want to be using the pet and what i want it to be capable of.
So @Khaelor when the FWW hits, regardless if the pet is 100% fire or other elemental damage, FWW will hit for physical damage only? Ty for info..

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have each elemental Drake with Chiv+AI. My 100% Poison one i use at Monstrous Interred Grizzle and Zipactriotl (although he can't damage the Power Cores outside of AI/Dragon Breath). I love the look of them (especially the Crimson with 100% Fire and the Platinum with 100% Cold or Energy). So no matter what i'm hunting, i have a pet that can always hit the opponent's weakest resist.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
(although he can't damage the Power Cores outside of AI/Dragon Breath)
My Naj seems to do better on those than other pets I have used. So the naj is just doing partial damage and doing well. Maybe he stays on the target better than others. He also Kills Para Balrons pretty well with partial damage.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I have all 4 elemental drakes with AI/Chiv also. Only downside is the fire/poison/energy one's all have dragon breath and none of them are rideable, but when used against the right target they do very well and they all look cool.

Jennifer-Marie

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
-- Just wanted to thank everyone for their input.

I messed up with my calculation of the training points I would have with this particular Poison Platinum Drake, so he didn't end up being exactly what I wanted. But that's alright, because at least now I have a better idea of what do with the Platinum Drakes moving forward - especially with the advice and ideas given here.

It seems I've developed a pet training sickness ... so I foresee myself ending up with one of each damage type Platinum Drake at some point. [[Just tamed an Energy one a couple weeks ago and he's bonded, waiting to be trained.]]

I just wish there were more ... benefits, I guess? ... to using some of the other abilities and effects than just Chiv/AI.

I think that's why I'm so into the pet taming/training right now ... trying to mess with other stuff to see what works on what pets so I don't have a stable filled with solely Chiv/AI pets that are only difference in species alone.

Ahmadi

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Sorry for late response Jennifer, but I can definitely help you with different skills/flavours/builds and pet types. I have every pet almost in the game (42 tameable(s)) and I have only 1 pet with AI/Chiv. I am not a big fan of being a cookie cutter and I always pride and strive to go against the norm and stick like s sore thumb.

Also, YES! There a many different choices to the boring tired and snooze-fest AI/Chiv combo that is plaguing the UO taming community (don’t care about trolls or being trolled).

I have every Dino, dragon, cats, dogs, insects, and birds you can ask for. I am happy to post pics and give pics. Heck, even running around with highland bursa and raptors. All pets works lol. Just have a bunch and play around.