• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Bowcraft/Fletching] 100% Elemental Slayer question

Mobius212

Visitor
Hello,

I'm rather new to reforging and imbuing but I have a question I cant find an answer to. I've seen a lot of people reforge bows for the initial 100% elemental damage max intensity. My question is if I make a 100% cold dragon slayer, or any non super slayer, does that 100% elemental damage stack with the 300% damage cap from the slayer? I am wondering for weapon weight reasons if that is wasted weight.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You might want to check the information of how elemental damage and DI (from slayer or anything else) works. Elemental Damage and DI are not related like that. Elemental damage does not change DI.

DI will change the damage range, but that's a process different than comparing the damage type to the corresponding resist. They are done at different stages of damage calculation.

An example is that the damage is modified by the Damage modifiers from STR, Tactics and Anatomy that aren't part of the DI calculation, then the DI properties (slayer, DI, etc). That is how you get the base damage before type is factored in. At this point, all the DI is already taken care of.

That modified damage is then split up according to the damage types of the weapon. A 70% cold/30% Physical weapon doing 150 points, would do 105 cold damage, 45 physical damage. A 100% cold weapon does all 150 as cold.

That damage is then reduced based on the resists of the creature hit.
150 Cold damage to a creature with 40% cold resist, does 90 total (150 x (100%-40%) = 150 x 60% = 90).
With the 70/30 cold/physical weapon mentioned before, if the target has 40% cold resist and 80% physical, it would be (105 x (60%) = 63) + (45 x (20%) = 9) , 63+9 = 72 points total damage.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Basara gave a very thorough break down in his excellent explanation, but if you're really new or very recently returned I think I can break it down a little further.

The base damage of the weapon that shows up when you mouse-over first takes the true base damage of the weapon modified by STR and skills like tactics, anatomy (lumberjack, also, for axes).

That base damage is then multiplied by "damage increase" on equipment (divine fury also adds to the equipment DI, and it might be the only spell that does). This stat is what we are talking about when we say "damage increase" and is capped at 100%. You *always* want to be at 100 here, otherwise you are seriously limiting your dps output.

For simplicities sake, consider this base damage to be calculated from skills, STR and DI when you equip the weapon, not on attacking, and is the number shown on your weapon property gump.

Next is what we call "damage modifier" which includes slayers, enemy of one, quivers, consecrate damage's little bonus, and honor. This is capped at the 300% you were talking about in your original post.

That's why you dont need to use enemy of one or honor to maximize damage when using a lesser slayer, but why enemy of one does help when using super slayers. This is also why if you're not at 100 DI with equipment, you'll see an increase in damage using divine fury even when using a lesser slayer, why honor or EoO is so important with a super slayer weapon, and how EoO + Honor can negate the need for having a slayer at all.

Further I believe the extra damage chance from lumberjack and the damage bonus from provo masteries can exceed then 300 cap, but I may be wrong there.

After your base damage is calculated upon equipping the weapon, and all damage modifiers are calculated upon hitting a target, the elemental damage simply determines which of your enemies resistances your attack will roll against.

Damage increase is a bit complicated in UO and there are a good number of nuances involved. Thankfully it has been a much discussed subject on the forums so, as Basara suggested you have plenty material to look over here on the forums. If my post has straightened things out for you go back and look over the math in the previous post and hopefully it will click with you!

Also on an only slightly unrelated subject, try an ash runic w/out powerful reforming and see what kind of results you get for reforming those 100% elementals! I prefer ash, myself, you just gotta hope the extra property you may get is a handy one, lol.

Last edited: