• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

괴롭힘 근절 캠페인

EM Hanarin

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran

몇 일 전, 북미의 울티마 온라인 커뮤니티인 스트래틱스에 다음과 같은 글이 올라왔습니다.

어제 특정 샤드에서 저는 몹시 불쾌한 걸 보았습니다. 그건 정말이지 뭐라 형언할 수 없는 것이었죠. 거의 한 시간가량 한 명에게 다른 사람이 추악하고 역겨울 말을 내뱉고 있었습니다. 그들은 계속해서 한 명이 너는 쓸모없고 멍청하니 나가 죽어야 된다며 부추기고 있었습니다. 다른 몇 명이 이 대화에 참여하더니 낄낄거리며 웃고, 정말이지 끔찍한 말들을 내뱉고 있었습니다.

이건 농담이 아닙니다. 누군가에게 자살을 종용하며 모욕을 하는건 농담으로 해도 될 말이 아니고, 이러한 행동은 (미국 내) 많은 주에서 범죄로 간주될 수 있는 행위입니다.

사람들에게 그냥 "마음에 안들면 게임을 꺼"라고 말하는건 해답이 아닙니다.

누군가가 정말로 죽기 전에 이런 행위를 우리가 하나의 커뮤니티로 통제를 해야 되지 않겠습니까? 아니면 그냥 아무렇지도 않게 누군가가 죽고 나서 보기 싫으면 게임을 끄지 왜 죽었냐고 하실겁니까?

이렇게 올라온 글은 순식간에 1,430명이 보며, 무려 현재까지 83개의 답글을 남기며 화제의 글이 되었습니다. 많은 사람들이 여러 의견을 공유하며, 현재 이렇게 막무가내로 벌어지는 조롱이나 모욕, 더 나아가 입에 담기도 어려운 말들이 오고 가는 것에 대해 우려와 GM의 강력한 제재를 받아야 한다는 한 목소리를 내고 있었습니다.

언어의 변천은 갈수록 단순화되고 세대에 따라 변화되어 갑니다. 특히 울티마 온라인의 많은 플레이어분들이 아시다시피, 초기 울티마 온라인에서 볼 수 있었던 매너들, 예컨대 즐온 (즐거운 울티마 온라인 되세요의 줄임말)과 같은 옛 추억보다는 이제 욕설은 빈번하고, 소위 패드립이라고 하는 거친 말들이 오고가는 걸 많이 봅니다.

저 이야기가 비단 북미 샤드에서 일어나는 일은 아닐 겁니다. 어쩌면 한국 샤드에서도 일어나고 있는 일일 수도 있습니다. 이 소식은 새소식은 아니지만, 한국 샤드의 많은 플레이어분들이 한 번쯤 경각심을 가지고 상대방에게 혹시라도 상처를 줄 수 있는 말을 내가 한 적은 없는가 하는 시간을 한 번 가져봄이 어떨까 싶어 올립니다.

만일 아직 돌이킬 수 있다면, 진실한 사과를 통해서 서로 가진 응어리를 풀 수 있었으면 좋겠습니다. 물론 그렇게 하기 어려울 지도 모르지만, 때로는 아주 간단한 사과로도 서로의 오해가 풀릴 때가 있다는 것도 사실입니다.

바라건데, 한국 샤드의 플레이어분들이 이처럼 어두운 한국 샤드의 나날에서 서로에게 버팀목이 될 수 있길 바랍니다. 무엇보다도 GM이라는 제 3자가 끼어들어 이런 갈등을 강제적으로 조정하는게 아닌, GM이 개입할 여지를 주지 않는 것이야 말로 가장 좋다는 걸 알아주셨으면 합니다.

Continue reading...

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Thank you for this! I got to try out my Google Translate app on my phone.
Is the title "Harassment Eradication Campaign"?

Nangmyun

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Yes, Flutter. He saw this article and post about it in his website so also let my shard players know how harassment awful. Also to give my fellow players think about it.

I will translate for those who wonder what he wrote:

<Stop Harassment Campaign>

Few days ago, following thread was posted in Stratics forum.

["Last night on a particular shard I happened to witness an extremely ugly thing. There was an argument of some kind, over what I have no idea. For over an hour one individual said some of the most vile and disgusting things to another person. They repeatedly encouraged this person to commit suicide because they were convinced this person was so worthless and stupid. Several other joined in on the exchange, gleefully laughing and saying the most hurtful things they could muster.

This was not a joke. Encouraging someone to commit suicide amid a tirade of insult is never a joke and in many jurisdictions is considered criminal.

Telling people to "turn it off if you don't like it" is unacceptable.

Is it going to take someone killing themselves before we, as a community, get this sort of thing under control? Or are we just going to shrug and tell each other the poor dead guy should have just turned it off?

I don't know any of the parties involved in the exchange."]

This thread became hot issue, 1,430 read it and 83 replied on it. Many people shared their opinion. It seems common that there are lots of people who speaks insulting, rude, and some words even hard to speak out should be stopped and restricted by GMs.

Language getting simpler and changed by generations. Especially in early UO, there were lots of good internet words born such as abbreviation "즐온" which means "have fun in UO". Recently, however, there are more insulting words, curses, even so called abbreviation "패드립" which means curse on one's parent is became popular and people get used to it.

This thread is not just for US, perhaps there are happening in Korea shard as well. This is not official news but I would like to everyone think about it and think if I did something may hurt someone's heart.

If it's something can be changed, I hope to those who have been misunderstanding each other try to understand through sincere apologies. Of course, it is very hard to do so but sometimes there are lots of things happened but still can be undone by simple apology.

I am sincerely hope that Korean players could trust each others and share your feelings, thoughts. Besides, there are only few of us left now in Korea shard. Most important thing is another person such as GM intervene and force to outcome the solution is not the answer, the ultimate solution will be trying to understand without GMs.