• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

“No Rules, Just Right.” aka Auriel's CoC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auriel

Project: Gorgon Game Mod
VIP
Stratics Veteran
At this moment, Project: Gorgon has no official Code of Conduct. There are no chat or name filters. For a very long time I was the only moderator, which meant a whole year folks were pretty much on their own while I was in school. It worked because this type of game seems to attract folk that are interested in old school MMOs and Community.

The dark side of the equation is that 'no rules' applies to your moderators as well. Myself, I tend to give the benefit of the doubt for as long as I can. But once you've crossed a certain line, I am pretty much done with you. Who knows what the other mods may feel.

I am overjoyed with the new influx of new players. But this means that perhaps a retelling of my philosophy is in order. So, here we go.

Community.

One of the things I hear over and over from players over the last two years is the feeling of community. Folks are chatty and helpful, and this is something that MMOs have been missing for a long time. Keep it up! Not everyone in a community is going to agree or be friends. That's just the way things are. But by tearing people down, you are tearing down the community as a whole. I think everyone can agree this is not ok.

Adults.

Project: Gorgon is and always has been intended as an adult game. As such, language and topics in and of themselves are not an issue. The issue is whether or not it is destructive to another player. Name-calling and trolling are not ok. I don't want to see racial or religious slurs. I don't want to see '****, ****ing ****tard' in every other sentence. What I want is to see players treated with respect, even if they are wrong.

Name-calling.

If someone disagrees with you, you are free to think they are stupid. PM your friend and tell them all about how stupid that other person is. But do not insult that person by telling them they are stupid. I feel as strongly about this as I do about name-calling that is so off-color that meaning has completely left the word due to exaggeration and overuse.

Trolling.

Trolling is when someone deliberately posts in such a way to anger another player. It is also used to egg a discussion into a more destructive path. If you want to get on my bad side, there is no quicker way.

Punitive actions. (revised)

In addition to myself, there are 4 other moderators with the power to gag, kick and ban players from the game. I do not tell them how to function, only what I would do in a given situation. If I see something I don't like, I will give a public warning in global chat. So all parties can assume I mean them. Then I will start 30 minute gags and go from there. We have some folks that are pretty passionate about this game, and I understand it is easy to get upset. So don't take it personal if you get gagged. However, if it develops into a 'he said, she said' situation that needs researched temporary bans considered, please reconsider your actions.

Player Complaints. (revised)

Soon I will put in to place a way to make serious player complaints directly to me. These complaints will have to include a date and time the incident occurred so I can dig up all the details. I may or may not be able to get to them immediately. But when I do, I can search out everything including PMs, group chat, what you were doing at the time and how much experience you got doing it. Do not bother Eric with player related complaints. That is my function. This may result in delayed gags and kicks, which is unfortunate. But as long as modding is a volunteer thing, that's the way it will be. So consider it as a reminder to respect one another.

Moderator Complaints.

If you wish to register a complaint against another mod, it can be done in the same way. If you wish to register a complaint against me, simply do so in game with the bug report/suggestion format as that is already set up to tell the devs where you were, what was said, etc, etc. I would prefer a player to discuss the issue with me first, for I have been known to be wrong. Treat me with the same respect I expect you to treat your fellow players and I will listen.

On a better note, I think you guys are awesome. You've made this a fun game to play and moderate by making it a community of folks I can be proud to be a part of. Thank you, each and every one. I hope this little introduction to your GM can help you understand how much I love this game and community. It is my hope to help it remain the positive experience that it has been, and with your help, I don't forsee this being a problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.