• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Player News These fake hats are everywhere!

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I collect those hats

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*SIGH* Cheating, scamming, duping, and griefing are so interwoven into the fabric of UO culture that it is too late to turn the tide.

Mesanna and Co. aren't going to do anything.

According to Tim "Draconi" Cotten EA would rather they not do anything. That Time We Burned Down Players’ Houses in Ultima Online

So what are we going to do? Nothing. That's it just nothing.
I am not a fan of Mesanna, far from it. But what exactly do you expect them to do? Their development output is laughable as it is. You want them to dedicate a significant portion of their meager resources to try to fix players' lack of due diligence? If a player can't be bothered to mouseover before buying, it's on them.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I think we have all at some point been scammed in UO

@Stinky Pete told me to meet him at luna bank on siege for a holiday gift and he killed me :gee:
You're lucky thats all he did. He has shared too much in Unleashed so it could have been a lot worse :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I got the joke. You got the ship name on it. At this point that hat should be worth more than the drops.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am not a fan of Mesanna, far from it. But what exactly do you expect them to do? Their development output is laughable as it is. You want them to dedicate a significant portion of their meager resources to try to fix players' lack of due diligence? If a player can't be bothered to mouse over before buying, it's on them.
C'mon we both KNOW these stupid scams have been around since, Beta.

Do you remember the "Black Horse Scam"?

The scammers took advantage of the fact that ALL horses used to show the same color in the trade window.

They'd have a black horse in hand, and they would ALWAYS say you first.

When you went to trade and put the Mill. checks in the window, they had another plain horse hidden and would put that one in the trade window. It took a Dev patch to end that scam.

Remember when player thieves would stealth into a player's public house and wait for them to unlock something while redecorating.?

Then YOINK!!! They grab your item (usually a rare item) and you're screwed. In the case of one noxious thief, you just became the next episode on his website.
The Dev finally put in the RETRIEVE feature and players rejoiced. Except for the noxious thief who threw a legendary tantrum and quit with great fanfare.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
C'mon we both KNOW these stupid scams have been around since, Beta.

Do you remember the "Black Horse Scam"?

The scammers took advantage of the fact that ALL horses used to show the same color in the trade window.

They'd have a black horse in hand, and they would ALWAYS say you first.

When you went to trade and put the Mill. checks in the window, they had another plain horse hidden and would put that one in the trade window. It took a Dev patch to end that scam.

Remember when player thieves would stealth into a player's public house and wait for them to unlock something while redecorating.?

Then YOINK!!! They grab your item (usually a rare item) and you're screwed. In the case of one noxious thief, you just became the next episode on his website.
The Dev finally put in the RETRIEVE feature and players rejoiced. Except for the noxious thief who threw a legendary tantrum and quit with great fanfare.
Different kinds of scams have always been around, correct. This is because of the way some people are. Devs are not going to fix it. And Devs have been able to patch some of the bad mechanics out. I don't really see what can they do here apart from preventing people from adding their descriptions (all the collectors will scream) or manually policing the market. Considering they are not even capable of making it work right, I do not consider the second option as realistic. So, back to my original question - "what can they do to fix this?"

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*SIGH* Cheating, scamming, duping, and griefing are so interwoven into the fabric of UO culture that it is too late to turn the tide.

Mesanna and Co. aren't going to do anything.

According to Tim "Draconi" Cotten EA would rather they not do anything. That Time We Burned Down Players’ Houses in Ultima Online

So what are we going to do? Nothing. That's it just nothing.
I honestly wonder why you waste your time playing this game. All you do is make everyting into drama and whine and cry about everything.

Its become a joke at this point.

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Now hold one one darn pickin' minute. That's not scamming, that's stealing!

Not that I would know anything about this particular type of legitimate game-play....

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Now hold one one darn pickin' minute. That's not scamming, that's stealing!

Not that I would know anything about this particular type of legitimate game-play....
I mean, there are no Thieves on Siege, but you better darn well have detect hidden on several hotkeys if you're moving things around or redecorating on Siege . . .