• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Where is the action these days?

Sempronius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
The last time I was really into the game, people were running doom for artifacts. I've kept my account open for 24 (?) years but I haven't really done any fighting. I just log into the game and think... what the heck are people doing... The answer is "I don't know" so I log out.

What are people doing in the game right now? What is the "in place" these days?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Several areas really...

Roof (Shadowguard) seems to be the primary. Underwater Boss is another. People still run Gauntlet but you really do not want to do that with a group who do not know what they are doing.

Then there are the Global Event type deals. That has just hit a lull as the last spawn and the last dungeon portion wrapped not too long ago, but another should be coming up soon.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Some people do crazy things..Like I have been doing after doing gauntlet and roof and spawns, so now I graduated to doing nutty things like COOKING that I just grand mastered (finally), and Fishing and pirate hunting ( I know..boring.. but what the heck kind of fun). When I graduate from Fishing and High Seas, I will likely go back to Spawns and Doom Gauntlet again. Fun is always there. Not too much bank-sitting, but I guess that must be fun for some folks too.. :hahaha:

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Underwater is same as Exploring the Deep from several years ago ( Exploring the Deep - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia )

As others have said there is plenty and they gave a pretty good idea and it really depends on what you want to do.

If you want to play in a group then Shadowguard will typically be the best bet. But you can also do spawns in tram and people will help with those too (no PS but you can still get the drops like Lt Sash).

Like @celticus - I've found myself doing some stuff I haven't done in a while (because it's fun in spurts but kind of boring in large doses) like treasure hunting, fishing, pirate hunting, BOD filling, and other solo type stuff that is pretty mindless and go at your own pace.

Others seem to like the break from the dynamic events (which just ended) but I kind of enjoy having them as an option to sprinkle in. The dynamic champ spawn usually has a 30min cool down from when the boss dies which is nice because you can go do a few t-maps or whatever for 20-25min in between and then hit the spawn.

Long story short there is a ton of stuff to do. If you want more ideas just give a shout in Gen Chat. People are doing all kinds of stuff and half of them wouldn't mind help.

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A lot has been going on over the last year. Check uo.com to see. Also subscribe to their newsletter. There was just an onslaught of things to do which just ended for now. New things coming up real soon.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
It's a system the devs have set up so they don't have to do any real work.
Yes but thats a pretty negative way of putting it.
In reality it is a system that they hard-coded into both sides of the software that allows them to create special events, like invasions, treasures of Tokuno, treasures of Deceit, Quicky in a menue-driven engine,
deploy the event over shards, and hopefully cleanly remove the event again quickly, so they do not take months of wasted time to implement these things.
That translates to a ton of potential new events to happen. Like we had 3 events last month or so back to back. So quickly that we ended up having 2 events overlapping each other shortly. A good thing altogether, not bad. You can choose the one you want to participate in.
The events are happening so quickly that there is not much time to test them, and some of them hide traps where if you are not being careful you can have pets lose loyalty and go wild due to loss of sight LOS problems.
Also: They related to us that there will be a lot more of these dynamic events, again that is good, not bad.
Some of them will be surprises, and some of these will have some useful items as rewards.
Also some of them if not most are really really hard to solo, and this way they will bring more players playing together to achieve a goal, and veer from the solo play-style a little bit.
So there is really a crapload of stuff to do if you include Doom Gauntlet, and all the mini-boss/boss stuff and spawns, roof etc. etc.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Underwater is same as Exploring the Deep from several years ago ( Exploring the Deep - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia )

As others have said there is plenty and they gave a pretty good idea and it really depends on what you want to do.

If you want to play in a group then Shadowguard will typically be the best bet. But you can also do spawns in tram and people will help with those too (no PS but you can still get the drops like Lt Sash).

Like @celticus - I've found myself doing some stuff I haven't done in a while (because it's fun in spurts but kind of boring in large doses) like treasure hunting, fishing, pirate hunting, BOD filling, and other solo type stuff that is pretty mindless and go at your own pace.

Others seem to like the break from the dynamic events (which just ended) but I kind of enjoy having them as an option to sprinkle in. The dynamic champ spawn usually has a 30min cool down from when the boss dies which is nice because you can go do a few t-maps or whatever for 20-25min in between and then hit the spawn.

Long story short there is a ton of stuff to do. If you want more ideas just give a shout in Gen Chat. People are doing all kinds of stuff and half of them wouldn't mind help.
Agree.
Also why do Tram Spawns? Just for fun is ok and the rare drop.
But 1000 times more fun to do Felucca Champ spawns. There you may end up with a few PS you may keep or sell, the same or better drops from the spawn, plus experience a little PVP on the receiving end lol if that happens so what? Still fun. You can always Rez. You develop new skills there also, like how to survive, run away, defend self etc. Good stuff lol.:devil:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Interesting Boss encounter : Do you have to be a Tamer for that? Or any character can try it (Mage/Mystic/SW or fighter types?) Do you need taming to tame the Paralithode Crabs?
Also I hate long quests to try and get the items just to get there, are they on VS? And finally I assume you can un-equip these items and then use your regular armor to work there?

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Agree.
Also why do Tram Spawns? Just for fun is ok and the rare drop.
But 1000 times more fun to do Felucca Champ spawns. There you may end up with a few PS you may keep or sell, the same or better drops from the spawn, plus experience a little PVP on the receiving end lol if that happens so what? Still fun. You can always Rez. You develop new skills there also, like how to survive, run away, defend self etc. Good stuff lol.:devil:
I see 4 and 5 people doing tram spawns. Not sure why they don't duck to fel for the scrolls. Most shards outside ATL are empty so rarely do you get bothered especially with a group of 4-5 where you can finish it in 15 minutes.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Yep.
Most of the Champs I have done are in Atlantic. They are more fun, the chase is nice adds interest to the content, gotten my deserved grey robes once only, but my pet took 2-3 Pkers to first trap in energy fields and then kill with spells, after it got one of them. So it was like 4 of them really, and it was in Deceit. I came back later and the PS was on "her" corpse, got them back. Crappy ones as usually. The other time was again Atl, but in lost lands, that one was more damaging, and the culprit was a persistent skilled lill devil thief, he was awesome and knew what he was doing, and even after I killed him twice with pet, he still managed to steal 1-2 PS that I never found what they were hehe. Was running too fast to look. Thieves when expert they are what should be feared and not PKs.
But there are some spawns in Fel that are so hard that PK's don't even go there so usually you need 2 people spawning, plus one for "Protector" so you get double the PS.
Fel spawns are fun, and I am pretty sure you get the 1k luck bonus for random stuff there.
Not really worth the time to do the Tram spawns imho.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Interesting Boss encounter : Do you have to be a Tamer for that? Or any character can try it (Mage/Mystic/SW or fighter types?) Do you need taming to tame the Paralithode Crabs?
Also I hate long quests to try and get the items just to get there, are they on VS? And finally I assume you can un-equip these items and then use your regular armor to work there?
??

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It was intended for all templates. Tamers are not allowed to bring pets but they can tame the sea creatures there and use them. But, there are ways to get pets in.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Alot of good activity out there still, here is a quick hit list:
- Underwater Boss
- Shadowguard encounter (the Roof)
- Pet Training
- Champion Spawns
- Scalis (Net toss)
- Dynamic Dungeon spawn events

Helps to be in a guild that organizes these activities a bit more regularly, but you can definitely catch some just by being in Gen chat too.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I see 4 and 5 people doing tram spawns. Not sure why they don't duck to fel for the scrolls. Most shards outside ATL are empty so rarely do you get bothered especially with a group of 4-5 where you can finish it in 15 minutes.
Yea my post was directed at someone looking for action (with the assumption they are probably very rusty and can't solo a champ spawn). Usually a pretty amateur player can get a spawn to level3 and then ask for help in Tram... Fel is only going to have the reds come raid you and take it over lol

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Lets not forget the EM events. If you stuck to just one shard then you going to miss a ton of fun across several shards. If your account is old enough and you have the shard shields there is nothing stopping you to attend those event.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like to go bash Zipactriotl. That's a "bring a friend" thing.
I used to like killing the Myrmidex Queen back when that could be soloed.

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Because my schedule is pretty sporadic, I have really enjoyed the dynamic events. When there isn’t one, I often found myself treasure hunting. Level 4 maps are pretty easy to solo and provide decent loot for the time investment.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Because my schedule is pretty sporadic, I have really enjoyed the dynamic events. When there isn’t one, I often found myself treasure hunting. Level 4 maps are pretty easy to solo and provide decent loot for the time investment.
Agreed! I have done a bunch of cache/hoard maps are walked away with a few pretty good pieces but I'm starting to get bored of it. Hoping a dynamic event drops soon so I can do a different grind :)