• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Has anyone been fighting Charybdis from a Britannian Ship ? In what it helps ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I read from the UO Wiki at Charybdis – Ultima Online

This creature has no slayer vulnerability and is immune to barding but can be damaged by cannon fire. He spreads tentacles around the boat which damage the boat, cast spells on the crew and will do area damage if they are near enough. A substantial number of crew members will be needed if you are to succeed in this encounter. A Britannia boat is highly recommended, also, if available, an Orc ship; this being capable of doing higher cannon damage. Frost cannonballs are also believed to be effective.
Now, it looks like that Barding does not work on it, there is no Slayer for it, and that only Cannon damage really hurts it.... it looks like that a Britannian Ship is "highly" recommended YET, an Orc Ship would do higher cannon damage ?

Uhu ?

If cannon damage is what gets killed Charybdis, and an Orc Ship does more cannon damage, I do not understand then why a Britannian SHip would be "highly" recommended....

Has anyone so far been able to SOLO this Boss ?

How ? With what type of a template and tactics/set up ?

Thanks !

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Its a hard encounter only possible to do for the really skilled fishermens, if its to difficult for you maybe you should buy the rewards instead.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its a hard encounter only possible to do for the really skilled fishermens, if its to difficult for you maybe you should buy the rewards instead.
What do you mean by "skilled" Fishermen ?

What skills/Template works best with Charybdis and using what tactics ? More detailed informations on what kills this Creature could kinda be of help, one would guess...........

Also, what gives with Cannons being really be best weapon against Charybdis and mentioning a Britannian Ship as being "highly" recommended but then, the same paragraph, says that Orc Ships do the most cannons' damage ? Uhu ? Which works best then, an Orc Ship with its cannons or a Britannian Ship ?

Perhaps someone who has been entertaining this fight, even better if as SOLO, might be able to provide some clarification of what works best to kill Charybdis ?

Thanks.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
summoning it is best with a 120 fisherman with a suit on all bonuses you can get... and Yes I use the HUGE Britannian ship... with all cannons... helps to have people put a rowboat on the opposite side of Charybdis... helps keep him from pushing your ship... and have plenty of friends along... more the merrier... You can't have too many...

I don't solo it. I'm sure there is someone out there that does but yeah no... just bring friends if you have them.

Would you like people to play the game for you or what? Can you not read and figure these things out yourself? Do you not know how to google??? Most people would have checked out some videos on Youtube...

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
How many questions are we allowed to ask per day ?

Does anyone know?

Am i allowed to answer questions with more questions?

Is this a bug?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
summoning it is best with a 120 fisherman with a suit on all bonuses you can get... and Yes I use the HUGE Britannian ship... with all cannons... helps to have people put a rowboat on the opposite side of Charybdis... helps keep him from pushing your ship... and have plenty of friends along... more the merrier... You can't have too many...

I don't solo it. I'm sure there is someone out there that does but yeah no... just bring friends if you have them.

Would you like people to play the game for you or what? Can you not read and figure these things out yourself? Do you not know how to google??? Most people would have checked out some videos on Youtube...

Some Shards are quite empty.... and it is not easy to find people to hunt together, especially, when the playing hours of the day do not match....

Anyways, I was particularly puzzled by the UO Wiki mention that the Britannian Ship was "Highly" recommended and, YET, it also says that the Orc Ship does more cannon damage which, as I understand, is the primary way to do damage to Charybdis....

On some hunts like Charybdis, figuring things out by oneself is not that easy.... it is not like one grabs one's own fisherman, an oracle and some baits and goes to pull up a Charybdis and see how it goes....

Hunts like this, I imagine, require preparation and knowing what to expect expecially, since wasting baits and oracle's charges on a failed Charybdis Hunt ain't that cheap....

Better hear from others first how they handled it, I would imagine, and go from there....

I did see a couple of Videos about Charybdis Hunts but they do not really give out the details one needs.... it is usually characters running around casting spells or hitting, some time lapses, and the Monster eventually dies...

But what about what template was used ? What skills ? What Gear ?

I have yet to see a Video that goes into such needed details....

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think that the Britannian ship is recommended for the greater floor space, and that there are FOUR cannon to a side. Not sure if the monster is big enough for all to engage at the same time.

The damage for the cannon individually can be described

Most ships: X
Orc Ships: X + 15% of X

So, if all 4 side cannons on a brit ship can be fired at it without moving,
Orc ship: 3.45X
Brit ship: 4.0X

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anyways, I was particularly puzzled
Honestly, this is your post for just about everything there is to do on UO. I'm not really sure you're playing the right game... or really even playing this one.

There are some OBVIOUS reasons to use a Brit boat over a Orc boat to those who play UO and do things on boats.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are some OBVIOUS reasons to use a Brit boat over a Orc boat to those who play UO and do things on boats.
@Merus

May I ask what this OBVIOUS reasons might be, to use a Britannian Ship over an Orc Boat considering the bonus to Cannon damage which the Orc Ships has ?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Brit ship has more HP or it takes less damage. The orc ship will be scuttled fast and those higher damage cannons won't line up with it.

It is a group encounter.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Some Shards are quite empty.... and it is not easy to find people to hunt together, especially, when the playing hours of the day do not match....

Anyways, I was particularly puzzled by the UO Wiki mention that the Britannian Ship was "Highly" recommended and, YET, it also says that the Orc Ship does more cannon damage which, as I understand, is the primary way to do damage to Charybdis....
Brit ship has more hit points and floor space. Charybdis does boat damage and if you take a group or large group, it gives you more room to maneuver. It also gives more "safe" space for people to do the encounter in.

On some hunts like Charybdis, figuring things out by oneself is not that easy.... it is not like one grabs one's own fisherman, an oracle and some baits and goes to pull up a Charybdis and see how it goes....

Hunts like this, I imagine, require preparation and knowing what to expect especially, since wasting baits and oracle's charges on a failed Charybdis Hunt ain't that cheap....

Better hear from others first how they handled it, I would imagine, and go from there....
Why do you have to hear how others handle something first? We do a lot of testing of content on tc, we don't get to hear how to do something ahead of time. We just figure it out and go from there, you can do the same with content. Yes, you might fail and failure is ok. That is how you learn.

I did see a couple of Videos about Charybdis Hunts but they do not really give out the details one needs.... it is usually characters running around casting spells or hitting, some time lapses, and the Monster eventually dies...

But what about what template was used ? What skills ? What Gear ?

I have yet to see a Video that goes into such needed details....
The videos shouldn't have to give exact details. What characters do you see? Wraiths? Mystics? Tamers? What spells are they casting? Spells say words of power so you should be able to see that. Do you see cannons going off? Slow down the video if it's playing too fast for you so you can gather in most the data

I think that the Britannian ship is recommended for the greater floor space, and that there are FOUR cannon to a side. Not sure if the monster is big enough for all to engage at the same time.
You will not be able to engage all cannons at the same time (his hit box isnt large enough), on an orc ship only one cannon will be able to hit it at a time.

The orc ship will be scuttled fast and those higher damage cannons won't line up with it.
Orc ships works great, guess you haven't watched our video where we use one.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Orc ships works great, guess you haven't watched our video where we use one.
I started with an Orc Ship because of the Video. It kept getting scuttled by 1/2 HP on Charybdis.

I take 6 to 10 random players out. I drop ramrods and torches on the deck. I'm trying to maneuver the ship to line up a Cannon and keep others alive. They NEVER shoot the damn Cannons! I yell out, Shoot the Damn CANNONS. They just mill around casting spells and saying all kill.

I can not push buttons anywhere near as fast as the players in your videos. So, for groups on LS, the Higher HP Brit ship works better since it takes longer to scuttle. We did manage to scuttle it one time so far.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Merus

May I ask what this OBVIOUS reasons might be, to use a Britannian Ship over an Orc Boat considering the bonus to Cannon damage which the Orc Ships has ?
You could ask, but I’m generally not in the habit of explaining what color the sky is, if water is wet, or if the sun is hot.

How about you get yourself a boat, an Oracle, some bait, and go summon it. Then you will learn about the encounter, what strategies work and which ones don’t... actually playing the game yields all kinds of valuable insight! What an adventure it would be too.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Honestly, this is your post for just about everything there is to do on UO. I'm not really sure you're playing the right game... or really even playing this one.

When does he have time to play UO? He's always asking how on the forums and if not on this one on the official one... like he can't get enough answers. Hence my asking if he wanted us to play for him as well... because he doesn't seem to be able to play without being told every tiny detail on how...

1. Turn the forums off and log into the game... play it.

I am nearly 100% certain he does it to troll... not only us but the DEVs... Just to get a rise out of people... sadly it works. Usually, I try to ignore him but sometimes I fall for it.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When does he have time to play UO? He's always asking how on the forums and if not on this one on the official one... like he can't get enough answers. Hence my asking if he wanted us to play for him as well... because he doesn't seem to be able to play without being told every tiny detail on how...

1. Turn the forums off and log into the game... play it.

I am nearly 100% certain he does it to troll... not only us but the DEVs... Just to get a rise out of people... sadly it works. Usually, I try to ignore him but sometimes I fall for it.
Kinda makes you wonder how people got all the answers he is looking for... how on earth could it be possible for them play the game without there already being someone to tell them how to play the game... it’s the chicken or the egg dilemma all over again.

Schatzi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Roflmao.....folks, Popps has been doing this for I don’t know how many years now.
I am not sure how he logs into game without asking questions. I used to get drawn into his posts
then stopped. Oh crap, happened again. I honestly do not think he even plays, he just likes to get
people going.
@popps, if you played the game as much as you have been on here over the years, you would
be a pro. Go play, explore, it’s easy to do.
P.S., there is so much to do in UO and I’m guessing 75 % or more can be done by yourself. I did
and still do at times.
@Merus shssss emoji will not post lolol

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I don't know how many times I've gone with my guild to do Charbydis (before this publish).
Until this year we would do the event at least once a month (if we had the bait).
I know we have used both the Brit ship & orc ships for the event.
But I don't remember us using cannons at all.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Uhu? If troll popps is, might i ask what template/skills are required to actually answer all of his questions SOLO?

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
you literally have to do one google search and you'll find at least one video covering how to solo charybdis

there are other templates that can solo it too though