• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Ultima Online Newsletter #42

Draden

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
(We have come across a few players that are still titled and/or robed as a companion. If you are robed or titled as a companion of any rank you must contact CS or myself to get the character cleaned. ) Sorry haven
t been back long but what in the world does this mean?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We have been evaluating the Player Event Coordinator program over the past couple of months and due to lack of participation we are doing away with the PEC position. If in the future the need grows we will revisit the program at that time. Otherwise if you have any issues or needs please contact me at [email protected].
:sad3::sad4:

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
What does lack of participation mean?

On the pec? Or nobody requesting his help?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One of our player events was sposed to have a gate setup...
Put the PEC was a noshow. Go figure lol.

Later events, we just gated it ourselves, instead of trusting them to do it right

Queen Arya

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Im not happy about the discontinuation of the PEC program- I have an event set up for Sunday night and someone has already come along an chopped the benches the PEC locked down. This amoungst other reason the PEC programed worked for me- How about the rares festivals? what happens now?

The rares fest supported the EM program and player events support our shards

Please... Please Email Mesanna and let her know not a good idea to take things away from players without some sort of alternative

This is a sad day :{
Queen Arya
Atlantic Shard
Toad Town (ticked off toad)

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So... No PEC means no more nice player events... shame. Well, at least not like we have had... at least on GLs. Back to doing everything ourselves. Well... can't say I'm surprised. Shame... shame... shame... seems like they want to do less and less all the time to me. All that is new anymore is a bit of art. Kinda glad I decided not to do my Halloween event this year, saved myself the disappointment.

And only the top 3 Keep designs as voted by players... well that was bound to happen... so only the popularity contest winners from now on everyone else may as well just forget it. So until everyone else gets really bored with doing the keeps and castles the rest of us who'd like to get a castle or keep design to win may as well just wait... Course by then they will say not enough participation and close that down too... so much for getting a castle I can use.

Shame... that's all I have to say. Is it me or does it just seem like they do less and less all the time... pretty much the only stuff anymore is deco and things that cost money. Cater to the Rares people and everyone else can go fish.

I guess I'll be spending more time on Black Desert. If I can figure out how to shut down accounts and get rid of all the stuff I'm sitting on... I think I'd go. Don't really play much anymore... everything is either a boring grind or no one is on to do much of anything... guess everyone else is bored too.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
PEC gone, bad news.

Kinda late to bring out the rowboat and Pumpkin helm...

So, there will just be 3 new Keeps added at the end of this contest.

With the latest iteration of the Castle/Keep contests we want to let you know we will only be implementing the top 3 designs chosen by players. We love seeing the creativity of our player base and look forward to seeing which 3 designs you guys pick as the next 3 Keeps introduced to Ultima Online!

Last edited:

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
(We have come across a few players that are still titled and/or robed as a companion. If you are robed or titled as a companion of any rank you must contact CS or myself to get the character cleaned. ) Sorry haven
t been back long but what in the world does this mean?

Many years ago, UO had a "Companion" program--volunteers, not paid. The character was given training, a few extra abilities (the main one I recall was the ability to jump anywhere). The idea was the companions were to spend time identifying and welcoming and helping new players. Apparently, some still figured out how to retain their robe and powers.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'll bet that if y'all whine about the keep contest only having 3 winners hard enough you could get them to stop doing these contests all together.

The dismissal of the PEC is a bit sad. I get there may have been a lack of interest but surely someone would do this voluntarily. I guess a PEC would need some special powers and she's afraid that they might be abused. I would totally volunteer but I hate all of you so I don't think I would be a good choice.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
EM Xanthus told us that PEC Raine had quit and that the EM's would take over until a new PEC could be trained.
They must not have gotten very many requests for it to be discontinued.
Its sad if they are going around using axe's on stuff the PEC put up.
They don't do that when old EM's leave deco out (unless they were the one that was banned)

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
short version of the newsletter, by paragraph:

cheerleading

cheerleading

cheerleading

take something from players

meet and greet schedule

(yes, I'm in a sour mood)

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Auction safes are going on VS soon? I think VS is going to explode, it barely works as it is.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
(We have come across a few players that are still titled and/or robed as a companion. If you are robed or titled as a companion of any rank you must contact CS or myself to get the character cleaned. ) Sorry haven't been back long but what in the world does this mean?
About 20 years ago, there were a group of volunteer players that were called Companions. They would act as assistant GMs, helping out players in the field.

However, some of them didn't like "volunteering for free" (some were honestly feeling asked to do too much, others were wanting paid for a free gig that gave them in-game benefits while doing the minimum possible (leading to the first group being overworked)), and sued EA, leading to the program being discontinued.

If people had left UO with a Companion character in their account before this happened, some of the things that identified their Companion as such were not removed like they were on the active accounts with Companions. Some of those accounts have been reactivated over the years, and apparently those characters remained with some of those properties. By this time, BS assumes that anyone who was a Companion back in the day would have known about the program being dead and that they needed the character reverted to a normal one, and that other accounts with Companions have fallen into the hands of others who would exploit them (even if no abilities remain, they have the appearance of a GM-like character).

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The loss of the PEC is depressing. GL made pretty good use of it. I remember people asking for a means to create player content for a long time now. As much as we players sometimes forget how to run events without something like the PEC, it was still a very nice and appropriate thing to have.

Whenever I hear of things like this, my mind floats to the possible impact of the conspiratorial rhetoric we see so often here on Stratics, and I become fearful of what's next.

-John's player

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As John said, the PEC program will be missed by the governors and players of GL. We made fairly regular use of them (Wraith and Raine) until the beginning of this summer (and the usual lull in activity). We'd planned on starting back up next month.

The PEC wasn't a program with an ability for corruption, as the limits were known and firm. You could get gates, temp deco, a few oracles and a max of 30 custom mobs an event. That's it. No items, no drops, no opportunity for monetary gain. It was open to anyone wishing to use the services.

Counselors were the volunteers that predate the Companions, and their suit is what ended the volunteer programs for early UO. Counselors were being treated as employees, not simply someone donating their time. The suit wasn't without merit, hence the outcome. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Early MMO growing pains.

The Companion program has actually been tried twice. Once early aughts and then again just before Blackthorn was crowned. All they could do was teleport to paging players, teleport paging players and be invulnerable when on duty. That was it. Unfortunately, that was just enough leash for some to behave badly - such as the immature behavior of some during the TC1 coronation event and multiple reports of pvp "interventions."

Regardless, the loss of the PEC program is a very sad day for UO.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
About 20 years ago, there were a group of volunteer players that were called Companions. They would act as assistant GMs, helping out players in the field.

However, some of them didn't like "volunteering for free" (some were honestly feeling asked to do too much, others were wanting paid for a free gig that gave them in-game benefits while doing the minimum possible (leading to the first group being overworked)), and sued EA, leading to the program being discontinued.

If people had left UO with a Companion character in their account before this happened, some of the things that identified their Companion as such were not removed like they were on the active accounts with Companions. Some of those accounts have been reactivated over the years, and apparently those characters remained with some of those properties. By this time, BS assumes that anyone who was a Companion back in the day would have known about the program being dead and that they needed the character reverted to a normal one, and that other accounts with Companions have fallen into the hands of others who would exploit them (even if no abilities remain, they have the appearance of a GM-like character).
Having been one myself, are you sure you're not talking about Counselors ? As for PEC's, I"ll admit I've never heard of that term.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Having been one myself, are you sure you're not talking about Counselors ? As for PEC's, I"ll admit I've never heard of that term.
Probably. But I seem to remember something called Companions from the same time period, based on stuff I heard from friends. Did councilors have helping new players as a major duty?

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

The issue with companions still being around is that their commands allow them to bypass game mechanics. Companions in their first iteration (early 2000s) had built in commands to do a number of things to help new players. I won't use the actual commands but they could "list young players", which would show a list of all (Young) players online, and "help young players" which would make the companion character invisible and teleport them to the next (Young) player in the companion queue. The real issue and game breaking command was one that allowed companions to teleport to Haven. When used, the command would take the companion from ANY location (and I mean any location) and teleport them to the main square in Haven before it was blocked off when New Haven was made (and still, even after Haven was blocked off, you would teleport into the area with skeletons and minor undead). Here is the thing: when you used the command again, it took you back to wherever you came from, no matter where.

To give you a hypothetical example, a companion character could go to Doom using a golden skull and then use the teleport commands to leave Doom and return without ever needing a golden skull again. The game remembered where you teleported to Haven from even after you logged off, so you could do this in perpetuity.

As mentioned in the newsletter, there are apparently also robed companion characters out there as well. The robed companions or "elder companions" were player volunteers in charge of the companion program; there was an elder assigned to each shard and they were responsible for managing the companions. The biggest issue with robed companions still existing is that if the commands are still active, they would still be able to make any character a companion character at any time.

To mods: If this post contains too much information in regards to how the system may be abused, please feel free to delete or edit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gem

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is a companion switch in the account. Why they didn't do an iteration and turn it of. Like the enabling EJ?

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is a companion switch in the account. Why they didn't do an iteration and turn it of. Like the enabling EJ?
I don't think they can tell. I don't think it's as simple as flipping a switch. Companions were character flags, not account flags. Going off of personal experience, I don't believe that GMs are able to tell companion characters from normal ones either.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mmmh, when I recap, you are right. It is a switch in the character.
But it is data in their's data. Nothing on my disk where they cannot be manipulate the data. I don't understand the problem they have to turn companion off.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Regarding Companions: I knew one way back. To activate one's Companion-ship, something had to be done to the character that required that character to be online at the time. That sounds like more than just a flag or a single line of code, even if just a little more. Presumably they have to do the same thing to turn it off -- or take some time to code something that does it automatically. They are not going to do that. Oh: Companions and Counselors were two different programs. The Counselors program was far older.

Regarding the PEC: Not sure how folks didn't know such a thing existed at all. When we held events on GL and announced they were PEC-assisted, most people either recognized the term or remembered the concept or both. Even if they didn't at first, the potential to participate in a unique adventure and fight unique things was a good draw for people. The PEC's presence filled a long-standing hole in UO players' needs, and I am sad to see it go. It'd be a lot sadder, however, to lose the EMs.

-John's player

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well lets look at it like this ... Without the PEC player run events are limited to:

Auctions,
Net Toss
Games,
Archery contests and the like

We can no longer spawn Harbringers at events unless we hold them where you can spawn one... and then you can't spawn other stuff there...

Taming and releasing mobs is nerfed because now many times the released mob doesn't agro... and no one is threatened by most of them and can take them down in a good whirlwind... even if you have 10 Greater Dragons... or more.

So if you want to do something FUN with a big group as I often did with my Halloween house drops... Can't get awesome mobs generated by the PEC anymore which makes it somewhat lame... and boring...

So having something for a big group is limited... sure you can do a T-Map or so but when most people solo most content in the game there really isn't much you can do as a player to make an event fun for a large group now as anything you can do other than a net toss with loads of nets isn't going to last more than a few seconds.

So you are IMO very limited on providing entertainment that keeps peoples focus and attention. Games are more fun only for the one whos actually participating at that second... everyone else is lets be honest... bored and surfing the web watching tv and youtube not really paying attention... auctions are only interesting if you have money to spend at them... but when the same 3 people always win every bid they are boring for everyone else unless you can win a booty prize. And archery contests and the like are only fun for those who are shooting the rest of the people are rather bored.

Most things anymore however are governed by greed and if you aren't giving out billions in prizes you will be lucky to have more than a handful of people showing up...

The PEC helped not only bring people to the event with gates... but helped make them more fun entertaining and interesting... with mobs that lasted longer than a hot min. Could generate some really fun mobs, things that put up a challenge for a group of players.

Yes there are things you can do as a player still but like I said most people SOLO all that crap so why in the world would they want to go with a big group and do what they do solo???

Problem with most stuff is there isn't any incentive for more people... if drops increased with the number of players sure more people would group up to do things... but truth is you get less chance of getting an item if you bring more people with you.... so most folk don't want others going with...

Community takes another hit IMO. Greed still drives most of UO still. This just kills one more thing that once brought people together in-game... it's as though they want everyone bored stiff.

Likely I'll go back to doing my events the old fashion way with tamed and released mobs just like always... thankfully for me I decided not to do the event this year as this news would have really hurt right now... pretty much is a massive stumbling block on future events.

While yes there are exceptions to this here and there as a general rule having run and helped with hundreds of events I can say that this is what I've observed over the years. Once upon a time before EM's and stuff and before AoS people went to things that were player-run all the time because it was something new and fun to do ... we didn't have the greed it was more about the getting together to have fun... now it seems people don't want to do much if it doesn't generate some sort of wealth... They want to know what you get for doing it and how much that's worth and if it's not more than 8 figures they aren't interested.

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Regarding Companions: I knew one way back. To activate one's Companion-ship, something had to be done to the character that required that character to be online at the time. That sounds like more than just a flag or a single line of code, even if just a little more. Presumably they have to do the same thing to turn it off -- or take some time to code something that does it automatically. They are not going to do that. Oh: Companions and Counselors were two different programs. The Counselors program was far older.

To have a companion character receive his commands and companion status, he or she had to meet an elder companion in-game who would use a command to elevate the character to companion status. But to be honest with you, I know of at least one player on a free account with a robed seer character still on the account, and another player who still has a robed counselor character on their account. I don't think anything was coded in to keep track of these accounts/characters because if there were, those robed characters would not still exist.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Quote from the Letter: :
We have some exciting things coming in our next release of Jolly Roger including a brand new interface for mannequins that will help with equipment comparisons as well as the next chapter of our ongoing High Seas event.

Anyone have any idea what that might mean???

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Quote from the Letter: :
We have some exciting things coming in our next release of Jolly Roger including a brand new interface for mannequins that will help with equipment comparisons as well as the next chapter of our ongoing High Seas event.

Anyone have any idea what that might mean???
Nope but sounds dirty.

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you can pull up several at once that would be really useful flip flopping pieces.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If only they could fix it so you can put your "owned by" stuff on one...

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
One thing they could do to offset the lack of the pec.....
Give the town governors limited powers such as locking down deco or furniture and gates etc for a set time .
Like its good for 3 to 7 days then it poofs
Or decorate the town bank for xmas and it lasts the month of December

These people need more to do besides just a once a month meeting with the king, and it would be a non paid position so uo isnt adding anyone to the payroll.

#winning!

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Give the town governors limited powers such as locking down deco or furniture and gates etc for a set time .

These people need more to do besides just a once a month meeting with the king, and it would be a non paid position so uo isnt adding anyone to the payroll.

#winning!
love that idea

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's been suggested many times... and they think we'd abuse that ability... and to that I keep responding with they know who we are they can remove us at any time as a Governor we can be taken off the stone so anyone who abuses any of that could easily be removed... so that's a non-issue IMO ... it's just a lazy excuse.

And anymore I'm sick and tired of lazy excuses for shoddy work... They need to seriously step up the game if they want to keep peoples interest in this game. My interest is quickly waning and the more and more they take away and cheap out on things the more disgusted I'm getting... and they KNOW I'm not about to go down without being very vocal about it.

A rehash of year after year isn't going to keep my interest... I want to know what horrors they are planning for next year because it seems to me that I hear a LOT of talk about how things are going to be awesome but when I see the execution of things I'm more and more disgusted and disappointed... I stayed for 3 years waiting for the pet revamp so I could tame me a Dread Spider but then they nerfed it to oblivion and killed much of the fun making it a headache more than a joy... For a bit it was fun to actually be able to compete a little with the Sampires and such.... but then it was dramatically cut back to the point where it was a very slight improvement over just having a decent greater dragon... but still a Sampire remains king.... and PvPers continue to roll you over like a log with no way to put up much of a fight at all...

The cheaters are still cheating, and despite all the hype in the newsletters the big offenders with the multiboxed clients at EM Events are still there multiboxing away without worry, IDOC scripters are still scooping up everything before it has a second to touch the ground... and the guy is still spamming 24/7 across all shards day in day out...

We get a lot of hype about how awesome things are going to be and how they are going to do stuff but their answer to the ONE guy running scripts 24/7 in Blackthrons is to remove it from all of us. Thanks Guy you know who you are for ruining Blackthrons for the rest of us... thanks for taking that away... thanks for taking away another spot for me to use my thief... can't steal the stuff there anymore... thanks to you.

My disgust with the team is growing by the day and OH Thanks for NOT listening all this time to the emails and such I've sent about the EC crashing and the fact that changing my settings to turn off AoE and Particle effects is BROKEN and turned back on with no way to turn it off... yeah thanks for ignoring me... and NOT fixing it.... maybe you'll listen to others who've now posted on your official crap forum but I rather doubt it since you keep swearing to me that this is a PINCO's issue that isn't ..... tired of reporting things to be told it is Pinco's over and over when it isn't .....

Oh and while we are at it... thanks for doing nothing about the problem I've reported and complained about over and over about statuette pets vanishing.... now someone has actually reproduced that for you but fail to see you do much or say anything about it... but keep putting statuette pets in the game store so we can lose our money ..... wasting it on a pet that vanishes and you don't/won't replace when it does... thanks.

again fed up with the excuses. Sick of watching the game go downhill and be given nothing but a bit of deco crap instead of actual content and something NEW to do...

Oh and thanks for continuing to cater to the rares crowd at the expense of everyone else who plays. And you KNOW what I'm talking about there.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

#winning!
love that idea
This was suggested a while after the governor system was introduced, you can find multiple posts (many by me) on the governor forum here on Stratics.

The devs said no due to fears of such power being misused (blocking doors, potential harassment, etc.) and potential "lag" from items. In my opinion, these fears could be easily sidestepped through code (such as making items passable) and enforcement of the ToS (including the separate governor agreement you have to accept).

We can hope, but don't hold your breath.

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Maybe I'm misreading it, but isn't Mesanna essentially offering herself as a fill in for the responsibilities of the PEC spot? You want gates, send her the email. You want mobs, send it to her.

Either she'll realize that the PEC filtered enough for her or and re-institute the program, or you'll get your gates, mobs, etc., win win?

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Yamato October 28th at 9 am ET Did anyone make this? I had to go to the VA clinic for lab work this morning

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No, I was dead to the world having worked 3 12.5 hour shifts over the weekend I was exhausted...

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Maybe I'm misreading it, but isn't Mesanna essentially offering herself as a fill in for the responsibilities of the PEC spot? You want gates, send her the email. You want mobs, send it to her.

Either she'll realize that the PEC filtered enough for her or and re-institute the program, or you'll get your gates, mobs, etc., win win?
That's how I read it too. But what are we going to do with all of these torches and pitchforks now?

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's how I read it too. But what are we going to do with all of these torches and pitchforks now?
Sounds like "you can even draw your castle on paper". Soon she will get tired of it, pretend not having received any email, send again pls, yadi yada. I still believe a producer should try to make things work that affect everyone, not play GM for half a dozen people. Of course you don't want to believe it yet.

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Oh, I'm sure we'll find a use for them. How about failure to prevent scripting? Well, prevent or fully allow.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
No - there was a Companion program, and I was one for some time. Once the Companion program ended, a GM had to manually remove the Companion flag. You would get a notification of a new player or someone requesting help, then you would issue a command and teleport to their spot to provide advice. After a while, most new players were just veterans creating a new account and didn't want the help.

I found out later that I could interact with the Town Criers and certain other NPC 's to change their spam messages. I had fun with it for a while, but it was too tempting to keep it clean, so I asked Mesanna to remove my status.