• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A tattered treasure map...

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay so I've only been back in the game for maybe 2 weeks, give or take a day.

Prior to that the last time I played would have been 2014 for about a month, prior to that probably 2010.

But did they remove the ingeniously drawn Maps or am I just seemingly having bad luck so to speak with only finding tattered maps ?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All maps are tattered. That just means they havent been decoded yet.

Ingenious are gone, as are all the old names. They have been renamed to Hoard.

Diabolical are now Trove.

Plainly are now stash.

Expertly and adeptly are now Supply'

Cleverly and Devious are now Cache.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perfect. Thx for that in depth response. Wasnt worried or freaking just curious.

So far I've been getting stash, I think 2 catches. Have to checked my UOAssist organize bag where I dump all maps.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was trying to read the linked page from my phone. It's possible I might have missed it if it's there. But other than cartography to read the map. Do I need anything to really go dig it up or just basically a good skill to fight whatever comes up with it? I can't remember because it's been literally about 6 plus years since I've dug up a map.

I did read the Davy Jones Locker would be an interesting item to get.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With the new system carto is used for the range check while digging and no longer mining. You might need some lockpicking or remove trap or something, idk. Retired my hunter when it went live. Want to keep it in good memories. There is nothing that compares to a ingeniously map in the new system.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I have lock-picking and cartography maxed. So based on what you said, I should be good to go?

I know it's not going to be what it used to be. But at this point, I came back to the game just to have something to do because it did have fun memories for me. I know a lot's changed and that I might not agree with / like some of it. But it's still a game I enjoy none the less.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You will need remove trap. And a fail on it will spawn a monster with no loot that must be killed.

The higher the remove trap skill the better the chances of not failing, naturally.

telekinesis will no longer work to spring the trap

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I cant just pop the chest and take the hit lol like a locked shop item etc... nice. Guess I could soulstone and move things around when needed. But can I dig up a chest, take home to be opened later or does it have to be right then n there even though at home a failed attempt would spawns a monster ?

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IIRC, you can also just sit out this whole guardian thing without fighting a single one:

"At 100 Remove Trap all chests have a "Safety Valve" where past that point no additional Ancient Guardians will spawn. The "Safety Valve" is a specific amount of time that must pass from when the chest was initially dug up and the first group of Guardians appeared. Interestingly, if you kill off the initial Guardians, you can wait until the "Safety Valve" time has passed before attempting Remove Trap. By using this tactic, Remove Trap will succeed on the first attempt and no Ancient Guardian will spawn. Conversely, an Ancient Guardian will always spawn if your first Remove Trap attempt completes before the "Safety Valve" time."

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I cant just pop the chest and take the hit lol like a locked shop item etc... nice. Guess I could soulstone and move things around when needed. But can I dig up a chest, take home to be opened later or does it have to be right then n there even though at home a failed attempt would spawns a monster ?
Those can't be moved, or taken to your home. They fixed at their positions.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those can't be moved, or taken to your home. They fixed at their positions.
Well heres what I got on my carto guy rn.

If nothing else but remove trap would be needed. I could SS fishing when hunting.

Carto 100
Eval 104.4
Fishing 100
Hiding 100
LP 100
Magery 100 (Full LRC 70's Resist)
Med 100

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well heres what I got on my carto guy rn.

If nothing else but remove trap would be needed. I could SS fishing when hunting.

Carto 100
Eval 104.4
Fishing 100
Hiding 100
LP 100
Med 100
IMO, this template will struggle with the Horde and Trove maps, particularly in facets like Eodon and Ilshenar. Possible, but very time consuming. If you stick with level 1-3 you’re probably good.

Here is my template, certainly not the only one, that can do all 5 levels:

120 taming
120 lore
100 cart
100 lock picking
100 remove trap
100 magery (90 real with +25 skill jewelry and a -15 mage weapon)
90 vet

Character is elf and typically rides a full trained and skilled Disco/AI Cu.

Last edited:

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IMO, this template will struggle with the Horde and Trove maps, particularly in facets like Eodon and Ilshenar. Possible, but very time consuming.
Ok. Well my char was / is for fishing but I kind of wana do maps. So knowing what I have, and I welcome all to answer, but what do you suggest adding / SS out to dig up maps ?

While going back to what I have now when I just wana fish or whatever.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok. Well my char was / is for fishing but I kind of wana do maps. So knowing what I have, and I welcome all to answer, but what do you suggest adding / SS out to dig up maps ?

While going back to what I have now when I just wana fish or whatever.
Sorry, was editing my post to add my template. With GM fishing you could easily swap fishing for cartography, remove trap or lock picking. I would get a caster pet to guard you while fishing (a 2 slot void mare with magery and dragon breath would look cool and make quick work of serpents). For your template I would suggest a vollem to be your fishing guard. They can be skilled to GM and require no taming.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm good on what I got for serps / deep seeps. I was asking what youd suggest for maps.

But ya. I got no issues with fishing rn. Haven't tossed a net but I know what to expect with those, at least ancients. Which I usually end up selling.

Normal nets, last I did one. Think I handled that ok. Dont recall tbh.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm good on what I got for serps / deep seeps. I was asking what youd suggest for maps.

But ya. I got no issues with fishing rn. Haven't tossed a net but I know what to expect with those, at least ancients. Which I usually end up selling.

Normal nets, last I did one. Think I handled that ok. Dont recall tbh.
Again it depends what level maps you want to do. For level 1 - 3 the toughest mobs will be Lich Lords, Rune Beetles, Ogre Lords, etc. With your eval, some SDI, EVs and maybe a couple slayer spell books you can probably manage that level of spawn without much change. You don’t really even need lock picking as GM magery can unlock those chests. Certainly you could optimize your template, even for those maps (with magery spell invisible, 100 hiding seems inefficient).

Without a substantial overhaul I’m not seeing the Horde or Trove maps being really viable. EVs and magery spells alone would make fighting those mobs very arduous... doable, but probably not any fun (and might risk the chest disappearing before you can access it).

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And technically, you don't HAVE to have points in Remove Trap - just USE it (even at 0). You can use 0 Remove Trap skill on a chest - its timer just is longer, and a greater (if not certain) chance of a monster spawn each tick of that RT timer. Eventually, you'll run out the timer and open the chest.

GM Remove Trap, though, is good in that you almost never have a spawn from a cache or lower if you fought the initial spawn solo (the time that it takes to beat down an Ogre Lord will typically run the timer out - so it's the cache maps without an OL Guardian that tend to have an ancient guardian spawn at GM RT, because you killed everything (guardian) quickly). Depending on the time you take to kill the hoard and trove spawn (especially solo), you're unlikely to get additional spawn - but if you do the high ones as a group, everything dies so quick you're likely to get 3-6 ancient guardian spawn instances from the timer length.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't mind building a new character if I really want to dig up maps.

Probably best if I rebuild my Tamer once I get him on Great Lakes since he's already got lore, veterinarian, magery & taming done.

I can Soul Stone what I don't need when digging up a map and just swap back when I want to go to do something else if I need a stoned skill. Any other suggested Tempest or with the one above pretty much beat it I guess? And This is asking anybody's opinion.

But my Tamar does have a bonded white wyrm I still need to train that I can probably use to take some of that out.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Carto 100
Eval 104.4
Fishing 100
Hiding 100
LP 100
Med 100
Step 1:
Stone off fishing, hiding, and med.

Step 2:
Add mysticism, focus, and remove trap.

Step 3:
Use RC and invisibility ad nauseam until all the baddies are gone.

Step 4:
Profit.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Think I have 100 focus on stone right now, and RC ?

Edit: Yup, owned by the right character too.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Step 1:
Stone off fishing, hiding, and med.

Step 2:
Add mysticism, focus, and remove trap.

Step 3:
Use RC and invisibility ad nauseam until all the baddies are gone.

Step 4:
Profit.
Considering what you suggested this for, I'm assuming this would actually also be pretty good for ancient nets?

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I would use those at a dock where you have help. Sure, you can solo Scalis or Leviathan, but it's going to take a long while. The trick is to just stay hidden and let the RC do all the work if the mob is going to make short work of you, if not, you just use the RC to tank the damage and use mystic and magery spells to support it.

I'm not really the biggest fisherman so forgive me if these encounters are not what you are talking about.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nah. That's what in talkin about. So like if RC with aid of spells or hiding alot lol, can make short work of chest baddies. Then in my head it made sense to ask if they could handle what comes up with nets.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I wouldn't say it makes short work of chest baddies, but it will get the job done. Luring off chest baddies and killing them one by one is a whole different ball game than trying to solo Scalis.

At any rate, adding Mysticism to that template is going to open up a world of content for you. RC is the most powerful summon, combined with the utility of magery, it's a very powerful skill set. I like it because with just Magery, Mysticism, Focus, and Eval you can do almost anything, then you can add 2-3 more skills to customize your character to the content you are doing (treasure hunting, fishing, etc.). I would say that the only better option would be the Taming/Lore/Vet combo, but since you already have a tamer, I suggest giving this a try.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh I'll give it a try bec short of transfering over my tamer I dont have $20 for right now. I'd rather not legendary taming and stuff again if I dont need to. So I can play with that lineup for now and go from there. But fair point about single pull and solo. But point is with patience it should work from what your saying and by short work, I guess I just meant doable.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But my Tamar does have a bonded white wyrm I still need to train that I can probably use to take some of that out.
If it's a pre-patch WW (3 Slot, with above 720 STR) then make sure you know exactly what you're doing when you level him. Pre-patch WWs are very valuable now, due to their overcapped STR and lack of wasted Specials. A properly built Chiv+AI WW dishes out a lot of damage.
WW Training

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dont remember stats but not fully trained (I think) and goes back to 2014 if not prior.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heres his stats as of right now.

Edit: I did accidentally hit begin training but immediately stabled when I saw that red bar & 0.00% especially after you said be extremely careful with the pre patch white wyrm.

Also got the mare I'm on.

Last edited:

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also have I think it was like six or seven other animals in the Stables I need to check, one of which I had labeled purple rabbit LOL

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Careful with what you do with old pets specifically: pp WW's, pp Mares, all 3 slot Dreadhorses, all 3 slot Bane Dragons, and all pp Bake-Kitsune's. These are extremely valuable nowdays, can be worth upwards from 50-80 M, for ppWW's and plain pp Mares, and way over 150 M for Dreads and Banes. UNTRAINED. If these are properly trained we are talking different ball game. And: if IMPROPERLY trained, their value is about zero.
Oh..about other exp. pets if you happen to have any, Ultra exp is the Blaze Cusidhe, and two Greater Hiryus: The Neon(or Strong) Green, and The Neon(Or Strong) Pink. These spawn extremely rarely and they are very expensive, esp. the Blaze Cu, that has the Paragon Cu color (prices start at 4 Plat (Billion UOgold) Untrained.
These are irrepleceable, and they are no longer spawning, they are considered rares of sorts.
Your shard is a good one, but sadly it is possible that some people may try to buy your pets at way below the market prices. So its good if you decide to sell any to check the current pricing. Not only for pets but same goes for everything. By the way, nowdays we also have pet-stall merchants run by players in New Magincia. Go towards the doc, and you will see them. Would not buy any pets there unless you know a few things about their specs and what they are good for. May are way overpriced.
I impart you with this information so that you can avoid making the serious mistakes that I and others made when the new Pet Revamp hit.
If you have any of these, do NOT train them on production shards yet, but you can copy and do that on TC1. Would not train any pets unless you learn the new pet training system.
Sadly, there is NO un-training pets to change specs, and salvage very pricey Power Scrolls etc. So once you train these wrong, they are done mostly, depending on the seriousness of the training mistakes inflicted on them by us.
There is a lot of info and step-by-steg guides on all pets, and a priceless resource is @Khaelor 's website :Home | uo-cah.com. The website has a lot more info, includes all content for T-hunting, High Seas, and all the new content, and even has how-to videos, and everything about maps, and it is a pleasure to go through the stuff on that site.
Welcome back and I hope this helps a little bit.

Last edited:

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know that I necessarily would have thought of it right away. But good point on the test center. But I didn't know **** about training pre patch let alone now. So I'm definitely going to have a large learning curve to worry about, but for right now that's the least of my concerns.

As for the mare, he was nothing more than a mount. So in theory if I wanted to make a few coins I could probably just sell him and spend a small amount of that profit on a ethereal.

But the wyrm, he should def be worth investing into if I wana use my tamer as a thunter outside of the suggested build I can use with my Fisher from Pete's post earlier.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I don't know that I necessarily would have thought of it right away. But good point on the test center. But I didn't know **** about training pre patch let alone now. So I'm definitely going to have a large learning curve to worry about, but for right now that's the least of my concerns.

As for the mare, he was nothing more than a mount. So in theory if I wanted to make a few coins I could probably just sell him and spend a small amount of that profit on a ethereal.

But the wyrm, he should def be worth investing into if I wana use my tamer as a thunter outside of the suggested build I can use with my Fisher from Pete's post earlier.
The mare is valuable and should fetch yu 60-80M, likely. But it's irrepleaceable. It is a real killer with a spec: FIRE damage. And much stronger than a Greater Dragon when trained. It can become a BEAST of a pet that you can ride!
So it would be awesome, and rideable to boot, for foes that are sensitive tofire damage. Its 40% Fire, 20% Energy and 40% Physical damage. Also it will get a lot more training points than the current spawning Nightmares. They make great CHIV/AI pets for PVM, and other PVM and some PVP specs due to getting many more trainig capacity.
The pp WW is also extremely powerful, get more Strength than possible with other pets, and also get extra training points, best as CHIV/AI pet also, but its damage is 50% COLD and 50% PHYS. What I am implying is that it is nice to have Fire spec, and different spec pets. Also, once you sell them these are gone forever, and to get one of these super nice pets in the future will cost you a lot more gold likely. Now if you have 2-3-4 of each on your tamer on the other shard, I agree, you may want to sell one.
ASLO: The pp WW, when you train it, it will eventually be 5 SLOTS. So, that means that you will need to be on foot, which means that the $$ you spent on that Ethy is a waste of 15-40 M? Same thing with the mare, to make it really work, it will need to be made into 5 slots, which means that when in a battle with it, you are on foot. So the ethy is kind of a premature waste. Wait till you have some more $ then you get an Ethy. Dont sacrifice your PP mare for an Ethy please. That would make some people in this forum cry for the poor mare.
In short you can make 50-80M easier today than in 2014. It will be a lot harder to get these pets. You own them, they are like money in the bank in a way.
Taming is probably second most dangerously addictive part of UO, probably the first one being PVP for some folks, (and I do not mean the despicable PK specialty). Also pretty time consuming, like PVP where you have to work specs, resistances, damage types, moves, and very ingenious theory-crafting etc. At least you don't have to be concerned about what armor, rings, weapons etc your WW wears, lol.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never really paid attention to it or look because I didn't think to. But I thought the Ethereal mounts didn't take up slots. I don't know that I would sell the mare, it was just a thought I guess really. But between fishing and treasure hunting. It's not like I would necessarily need the money unless it was for something really like oh my God I got to have it now thing. Even though yes if I did do that, I'd probably regret it later. But once I build up some message in bottles and maps and all that. Assuming I can knock out all the bottles and most of the maps. I should be okay money-wise.

I just never really got real big into trying to sell armor / jewelry just because of how competitive the market was. Not to mention most people can make things better than you find in those damn chests anyway.

That being beside the point, other than using vendor search which on most shards unless it's Atlantic. Won't have very much to have an idea on what to price something at.

Last three chests I fished up. I pretty much dumped everything but the chest which I can sell, fished up stuff like paintings. And then a weapon if it's a colored one indicating I guess like high poison or fire damage Etc.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also regarding your comment in terms of rings and armor for pets. Please tell me that's not a thing now LOL

Even if it is, why wouldn't I have to worry about it?

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Also regarding your comment in terms of rings and armor for pets. Please tell me that's not a thing now LOL

Even if it is, why wouldn't I have to worry about it?
It's not a thing... Don't worry about it.

Also, don't worry about what pets are "worth" and making sure you build them the "right" way. They are yours, build them the way you want to. Have fun.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not a thing... Don't worry about it.

Also, don't worry about what pets are "worth" and making sure you build them the "right" way. They are yours, build them the way you want to. Have fun.
I can respect that, but at the same time if I do keep the ww which I am. The mares what's questionable, I am going to want to turn him into something exceptional. Because I most likely I will end up using him as a Tamer treasure hunter pet (wyrm) once I get that guy over to Great Lakes.

I've just never worried about how to train a pet even back in the good old days of Ultima Online.