• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

new computer.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am a bit out of date on what is good, average and not so good. I should have no problem running UO on this. Biggest question I have is the SSD as big of a benefit as the person building this for me is saying? I know nothing about SSDs other than they electronic as opposed to HDDs electronic/mechanical and faster but lack the space of a HDD thus the 2TB HDD. I have 1TB to transfer off the current computer right off the bat. Price tag for the tower is $400 My computer builder guy always manages to bring them at a low price. Gaming wise UO and Runescape is about as intense as I get :) This should more than cover those games needs. I also do a lot of HD video editing and storage the bulk of the 1TB to transfer is video, which I am thinking adding a 2TB external drive might be a good option for storage. My computer guy says this system would be kind of a cross between a low end gaming rig and high end office desktop. I know we have some very knowledgeable people here, anyone see any problems or conflicts with running UO on this system? And a does it look like a decent system for fairly intensive video work and storage?
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - 64GB Memory - AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB - 2TB HDD + 240GB SSD

• Number of USB Ports (Total)
    • Number of HDMI Outputs (Total)
    • Number Of DVI Ports
    • Number of DisplayPort Outputs (Total)
    • Number Of PS/2 Ports

• Number Of Internal 2.5" Bays
    • Number Of PCI-E x1 Slots
    • Number Of PCI-E x16 Slots
    • Asus prime b450m-a motherboard

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL gave the green light for Sam to build it pretty much what she is going to look like when he drops it off out here on the farm this afternoon. Kind of homely but she should get the job done :)

new pute.png

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I am a bit out of date on what is good, average and not so good. I should have no problem running UO on this. Biggest question I have is the SSD as big of a benefit as the person building this for me is saying? I know nothing about SSDs other than they electronic as opposed to HDDs electronic/mechanical and faster but lack the space of a HDD thus the 2TB HDD. I have 1TB to transfer off the current computer right off the bat. Price tag for the tower is $400 My computer builder guy always manages to bring them at a low price. Gaming wise UO and Runescape is about as intense as I get :) This should more than cover those games needs. I also do a lot of HD video editing and storage the bulk of the 1TB to transfer is video, which I am thinking adding a 2TB external drive might be a good option for storage. My computer guy says this system would be kind of a cross between a low end gaming rig and high end office desktop. I know we have some very knowledgeable people here, anyone see any problems or conflicts with running UO on this system? And a does it look like a decent system for fairly intensive video work and storage?
An SSD is the single best upgrade you can make for your computer, no matter what you use it for. Everything will load muchfaster, from system boot to any application you launch (assuming it is installed on the SSD and not a platter drive if you are doing multiple drives).

My only concern would be using an external HDD as storage for your video editing. Even if it's USB3, speed can be limited by the drive itself and controller, so might make video editing slow. If possible, you may want to look at getting a secondary internal drive with a large-capacity (and 7200RPM as well). I don't know what your budget is, but you can get decently sized internal HDDs for a reasonably price -- The Seagate Exos line has some decent drives.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
An SSD is the single best upgrade you can make for your computer, no matter what you use it for. Everything will load muchfaster, from system boot to any application you launch (assuming it is installed on the SSD and not a platter drive if you are doing multiple drives).

My only concern would be using an external HDD as storage for your video editing. Even if it's USB3, speed can be limited by the drive itself and controller, so might make video editing slow. If possible, you may want to look at getting a secondary internal drive with a large-capacity (and 7200RPM as well). I don't know what your budget is, but you can get decently sized internal HDDs for a reasonably price -- The Seagate Exos line has some decent drives.
I'm running a 10 year old laptop atm and put in a 50$ ssd a few months ago, and the game runs muchhhhhh better. @Khyro is right, it's probably the cheapest bang for your buck upgrade on an old PC.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are those empty memory slots? *shakes head*
It has four 16 Gig Sticks in it now :)

Would be using the external for storage only, the internal for active and in process files. My thinking is the external hard drive would make it easier to move from machine to machine. Going external on the CD/DVD as well.

The more I read about and folks tell me about SSD's the more I am liking them. Guess it works with the 2TB HDD. The 240Gig SSD would get full pretty fast with video files and from what I am reading the way things are stored on the SDD is much different than a HDD. Anyway I went with the SDD and HDD so should be no problems. LOL about a hour and half it will be here and I can start breaking it :)

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
500GB SSDs run $50-90 now. There's even some brands with 1TB SSDs at $90-110.

That mainboard has an M.2 slot. Which is another form of SSD with a faster PCIE interface. About 5-6 times faster than SATA SSDs. Worth the small increase in price if you ask me.
(As an example; traditional HDD start button to desktop as much as 90-120 seconds. SSD 30-40 seconds. NVME PCIE SSD, about 10 seconds.)

64GB of memory makes sense for video editing for anything else it's overkill. 16GB is more than enough in most cases. I'd suggest two sticks for dual-channel througput. EDIT: Seen your reply. Four is good.

Definitely get an internal HDD for storage. It's much much faster than an external drive. 2TB drives run $75-90 now. I even seen the 2 TB Seagate hybrid SSDHD for $59 on sale at Newegg just last week.

Last edited:

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For portability it's hard to beat external drives.

Can you believe USB thumb drives now come in 1TB and 2TB capacities?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Definitely get an internal HDD for storage. It's much much faster than an external drive. 2TB drives run $75-90 now. I even seen the 2 TB Seagate hybrid SSDHD for $59 on sale at Newegg just last week.
Yeah it was always destined to have a 2TB internal I just questioned the need for a SSD on top of the 2TB HDD. The external speed would not really be a big factor as it would primarily be a data dump and for moving from machine to machine

I can't believe how fast tech hardware and software left me in the dust. Back in the 90s I was the guy everyone called to come fix this or that. Now days I get lost pretty quick in what is what. LOL like liquid cooled video cards but by God I still have my old 200mmx system running Windows and it still fires up and works on the ole CRT monitor. Still trying to get my mind around the new computer not being VGA compatible and having to get a VGA-HDMI adapter if I want to use this monitor. LOL what was wrong with VGA!!!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

And had not even thought about just using thumb drives for the file dumps and storage. Would make sense with their massive capacity now days.

dingomate

Seasoned Veteran
You have more memory? It said 64gb and I'm only seeing 1 stick. Must be the MB's capacity you are referring to.

I have a 970 EVO Plus 1TB in this build. They are super fast. No wires or anything, just screw it down to the M2 slot.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

That mainboard has an M.2 slot. Which is another form of SSD with a faster PCIE interface. About 5-6 times faster than SATA SSDs. Worth the small increase in price if you ask me.
(As an example; traditional HDD start button to desktop as much as 90-120 seconds. SSD 30-40 seconds. NVME PCIE SSD, about 10 seconds.)

64GB of memory makes sense for video editing for anything else it's overkill. 16GB is more than enough in most cases. I'd suggest two sticks for dual-channel througput. EDIT: Seen your reply. Four is good.

Yeah, I have been considering getting me another SSD since I put a lot of my stuff on the HDD drive since my SSD is only 250GB... I tend to save it for "essentials" only... but the lower the SSDs get in price the more tempting it is to go and replace the old HDD...

I can't imagine a 2TB thumb drive... course I recall my Mother getting a computer from her brother (He was an inventor for IBM)... it had a whopping 1GB hard drive.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL what was wrong with VGA!!!
LOL I hear ya! For the end user not too much. Industry however wasn't happy that everyone could record audio and video signals as they saw fit.

HDMI has non-trivial copy protection HDCP.

In order to make a device that plays HDCP-enabled content, the manufacturer must obtain a license for the patent from Intel subsidiary Digital Content Protection LLC, pay an annual fee, and submit to various conditions.[5][6][7] For example, the device cannot be designed to copy; it must "frustrate attempts to defeat the content protection requirements";[7] it must not transmit high definition protected video to non-HDCP receivers; and DVD-Audio works can be played only at CD-audio quality[7] by non-HDCP digital audio outputs (analog audio outputs have no quality limits).
High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection - Wikipedia

Features include "you can't skip commercials on a recorded show" or "you can play that rented movie only for a limited amount of days".

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
20191020_135718.jpg
So this is already obsolete? I haven't opened it yet ...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Until I gave it away a couple years ago to a friend who liked collecting computer antiques and oddities, I had a MINT IN BOX EXTERNAL 5.25" FLOPPY DRIVE, serial cable hookup - and requiring use of a 3.5" drive to run the software to install it.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In all seriousness, the last thumb drive I used was a 128 gig, barely a year ago. I had no idea they had already reached TB size.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You have more memory? It said 64gb and I'm only seeing 1 stick. Must be the MB's capacity you are referring to.

I have a 970 EVO Plus 1TB in this build. They are super fast. No wires or anything, just screw it down to the M2 slot.
Surprisingly my 8 YO Dell Core5 unit is working pretty well. 2 1-TB drives.

I only saw 1 stick as well ... could be a 64GB stick. He did say he now has 4 16GB sticks in it though.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

I was going to ask if the SSD is M.2 or not, which makes a huge difference in speed.

And yea always use at least 2 sticks of memory, unless you're using one of the higher-end CPUs like the Intel "Extreme" edition chips that support Quad-Channel memory then you want 4. I've picked up a couple of 2TB drives in the past year on sale for under $40, but I just use them for bulk storage SSDs are where it's at when it comes to load time.

I've been pricing out a "vanity" build, my PC just turned 5 and it's getting to be time to start considering it's replacement.

WishList

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Surprisingly my 8 YO Dell Core5 unit is working pretty well. 2 1-TB drives.

I only saw 1 stick as well ... could be a 64GB stick. He did say he now has 4 16GB sticks in it though.
Pic was a work in progress and not the finished product. Hooked everything up about a hour ago and installing everything. Hardest things so far have been getting Authy set up for everything I use the code generator to log in with and remembering my stratics PW LOL got it in not too many tries. Yes it has FOUR 16 Gig Sticks now. In the pic I used it had One 8 Gig stick. Seeing it in person now that is ONE BIG VIDEO CARD, like bigger than the entire motherboard of the HP I am retiring. What little I have done on it so far........ It is FAST. Boots up in seconds not minutes. Gotta do some playing with the display, things are too small and there is like 1" of off screen space on either side that icons get lost in. Figured it would be on the loud side with 6 fans in it but it runs dead silent. Could live without everything having swirling lights on it in the case and the front of the case. Still need to install UO and go through the joy of setting the macros for every character up. Can say this is the fastest computer I have ever had. Always thought the bulk of my lag was from the wireless internet........... seems now that the lag was more due to the less than ideal computers I have been running the last couple of years. The Sat internet still sucks for anything other than FB, Email and watching movies. The 4G wireless is a whole lot better with this machine. Not the best machine I could have had built but more than serves my needs and went well above my expectations. Ended up costing just short of $1000 for the whole rig a large part of that being switching to better RAM and a new set of surround speakers............. and now back to the PITA of setting up Authy on everything.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Pic was a work in progress and not the finished product. Hooked everything up about a hour ago and installing everything. Hardest things so far have been getting Authy set up for everything I use the code generator to log in with and remembering my stratics PW LOL got it in not too many tries. Yes it has FOUR 16 Gig Sticks now. In the pic I used it had One 8 Gig stick. Seeing it in person now that is ONE BIG VIDEO CARD, like bigger than the entire motherboard of the HP I am retiring. What little I have done on it so far........ It is FAST. Boots up in seconds not minutes. Gotta do some playing with the display, things are too small and there is like 1" of off screen space on either side that icons get lost in. Figured it would be on the loud side with 6 fans in it but it runs dead silent. Could live without everything having swirling lights on it in the case and the front of the case. Still need to install UO and go through the joy of setting the macros for every character up. Can say this is the fastest computer I have ever had. Always thought the bulk of my lag was from the wireless internet........... seems now that the lag was more due to the less than ideal computers I have been running the last couple of years. The Sat internet still sucks for anything other than FB, Email and watching movies. The 4G wireless is a whole lot better with this machine. Not the best machine I could have had built but more than serves my needs and went well above my expectations. Ended up costing just short of $1000 for the whole rig a large part of that being switching to better RAM and a new set of surround speakers............. and now back to the PITA of setting up Authy on everything.
I built my own PC systems for years ... starting back in the 386 days. Before that I b*stardized an Atari 130XE by adding a 22MB HD when it already had a printer, modem, 2 floppies and cassette. Had fun with that system.

But just before I retired I decided to get a pre-built. <shrug> Have only added the second drive - needed a backup for my music (2130 MP3 and counting). Have fun with that new system!!

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
You are getting a beast of a computer for a hard to believe price.
Now as far as the video storage device, if external, I assume you will use as a backup? Or just primary mass storage? Make sure you get the highest connection ports on that drive usb3 or much higher speeds on both the computer and the external drive. I would also get a portable 1-2 TB usb drive for weekly back ups, that I would put in a fireproof box (not a big one, they are not too exp) when not in use. I used to actually take the back up drive (1Tb) at home away from my work location to provide disaster security (fire, theft etc.) for years.

I personally have my family videos on a Raid-1 NAS at home. Raid-1 provides redundancy and mirroring, but cannot recommend it for HD video, due to built in deficiencies in these drives (really not the super speed you need, still potentially susceptible to viruses, dependence on same power supply by the two Raid-1 drives, etc.). Wanted to protect the family videos and at the same time be able to stream them. Though I don't do it very much, since some of them cause pain, when I see people and relatives that have passed on. But its fun to see our kids in different ages etc.

Congrats, sounds like a nice system!

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Ohh..Another thing. If the transparent cover is GLASS, the big PITA is that these things BREAK easily, like you would not believe. Nasty and very angering experience. What bugs me is the kind of glass material being used. Should be harder to break. Also if it breaks, changes the way this system ventilates itself, and you need to get another cover.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The better cases have tempered glass or even better crystal clear acrylic. Cheaper ones will have just plain glass but more commonly plexiglass.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you didn't tear down your old computer then copy your EA Games folder in your My Documents folder and all your macros will be there.

If you use UOAssist, the UOA-Settings folder is in your Program Files (x86) folder. Copy and paste it to the new computer.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I pay for an Amazon cloud to back up my PC to which I do periodically... while not the most "Secure" of things living in an area that gets Tornado's and such I lost one PC to an electrical storm that killed my hard drive and wiped out all pictures I had of my Granddaughter when she was born... after that I learned my lesson about back-ups and I just don't risk it anymore... if I lost my house to a fire or tornado or random accident I could theoretically get everything reloaded onto a new PC from the cloud... I do however have a 2TB external HDD to which I also do a back-up just to be doubly safe. Never know Amazon might have a disaster.

I think my computer is going on 5 years old as well... it's at least 4 I believe. Daydreaming of a new one myself... though my co-worker promised me he could make my next one no problem and he'd do it cheaper than I could get one from anywhere else... this current one I have I bought from Microtel... premade. I found they did a really excellent job of putting my PC together and haven't had any complaints at all with it... though eventually the liquid cooling system did die earlier this year and I had to replace it. I've also upgraded its graphics card and power supply... Likely though it'll be at least another year before I can afford to get a new PC.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I pay for an Amazon cloud to back up my PC to which I do periodically... while not the most "Secure" of things living in an area that gets Tornado's and such I lost one PC to an electrical storm that killed my hard drive and wiped out all pictures I had of my Granddaughter when she was born... after that I learned my lesson about back-ups and I just don't risk it anymore... if I lost my house to a fire or tornado or random accident I could theoretically get everything reloaded onto a new PC from the cloud... I do however have a 2TB external HDD to which I also do a back-up just to be doubly safe. Never know Amazon might have a disaster.

I think my computer is going on 5 years old as well... it's at least 4 I believe. Daydreaming of a new one myself... though my co-worker promised me he could make my next one no problem and he'd do it cheaper than I could get one from anywhere else... this current one I have I bought from Microtel... premade. I found they did a really excellent job of putting my PC together and haven't had any complaints at all with it... though eventually the liquid cooling system did die earlier this year and I had to replace it. I've also upgraded its graphics card and power supply... Likely though it'll be at least another year before I can afford to get a new PC.
It's funny that you don't trust FB or social media, but you trust the Cloud. :p

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are getting a beast of a computer for a hard to believe price.
Now as far as the video storage device, if external, I assume you will use as a backup? Or just primary mass storage? Make sure you get the highest connection ports on that drive usb3 or much higher speeds on both the computer and the external drive. I would also get a portable 1-2 TB usb drive for weekly back ups, that I would put in a fireproof box (not a big one, they are not too exp) when not in use. I used to actually take the back up drive (1Tb) at home away from my work location to provide disaster security (fire, theft etc.) for years.

I personally have my family videos on a Raid-1 NAS at home. Raid-1 provides redundancy and mirroring, but cannot recommend it for HD video, due to built in deficiencies in these drives (really not the super speed you need, still potentially susceptible to viruses, dependence on same power supply by the two Raid-1 drives, etc.). Wanted to protect the family videos and at the same time be able to stream them. Though I don't do it very much, since some of them cause pain, when I see people and relatives that have passed on. But its fun to see our kids in different ages etc.

Congrats, sounds like a nice system!
Nephew owns a computer shop that specs in custom builds and network services for a lot of businesses. When he has time and the inclination he will do custom builds for family at his cost without any charge for labor. Just have to stroke him with a ham or a pan of pulled pork sometimes :) He was telling me yesterday people will bring a tower into his shop for a RAM upgrade and will buy the sticks and then pay him $40 to replace the the two sticks. It don't get much easier than pulling out RAM sticks and sticking new ones in...... like 3 minutes tops. But then again there was a news story about how many young people pay an electrician $70 to come and change a light bulb now days. Strange times we are lining in :(

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only problem I have had with this computer was fixing monitor overview. Could not adjust it in the video card display settings and finally found it in the monitor push and guess buttons. 2" of the screen off the screen was going to get real annoying real quick. LOL annoying not to see the start button, tool bar and browser bar. Then moved the scale thing from 100% to 125% so my getting old eyes could actually see what I was looking at without my nose touching the screen LOL.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And forgot how much fun it is not to install UO......... "Patching Files 1440MB" wonders how long that would have taken on 56k modem LOL

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And forgot how much fun it is not to install UO......... "Patching Files 1440MB" wonders how long that would have taken on 56k modem LOL
Don't forget that 90-95% of the current 15-45 minutes of install time is ONE FILE that is less than 5% of the total download followed by several minutes from a slightly smaller size.

From a uo.com Bug forum post I made a few months ago...

out of a CC clean install:

Multiple files, up to the 1315MB mark - 1 minute combined (give or take a few seconds).
64 MB artlegacymul.uop - 30 minutes (almost exactly) BY ITSELF
40 MB gumpartlegacymul.uop (the next file in the install sequence) - 4 minutes by itself.
Remaining multiple files (remaining 81-82MB): a fraction of minute combined.

There has to be a better way for those 2 files to be installed, 104MB/1437MB taking 34 of the 36 minutes total.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's funny that you don't trust FB or social media, but you trust the Cloud. :p
Not a matter of trust with FB social Media... matter of principle... FB and social media's sell your every move... they profit from selling you... once upon a time, tons of people could make a fair second income off of doing surveys and such... Now companies pay FB and other media sites what they used to pay people and that now goes to make just a few top cats very wealthy and IMO hurts those who used to depend on that income.

I don't like having my every move monitored and sold to make Mark Zuckerberg rich... disgusts me.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not a matter of trust with FB social Media... matter of principle... FB and social media's sell your every move... they profit from selling you... once upon a time, tons of people could make a fair second income off of doing surveys and such... Now companies pay FB and other media sites what they used to pay people and that now goes to make just a few top cats very wealthy and IMO hurts those who used to depend on that income.

I don't like having my every move monitored and sold to make Mark Zuckerberg rich... disgusts me.

Don't worry you won't make him rich. He already is :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don't worry you won't make him rich. He already is :)
Like I said it's not worry or fear it whatever it's principle... I hate that he basically sells you out to anyone and everyone.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't forget that 90-95% of the current 15-45 minutes of install time is ONE FILE that is less than 5% of the total download followed by several minutes from a slightly smaller size.

From a uo.com Bug forum post I made a few months ago...
More like 1 hour 20 minutes because the update kept stalling :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I had one install on an older machine take 90 minutes, with 85 minutes of the time taken being those two files adding up to 104 MB

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had one install on an older machine take 90 minutes, with 85 minutes of the time taken being those two files adding up to 104 MB
I recently did a clean install on a laptop and when I reinstalled UO, I recalled your post and mine did the exact same thing. Those two files took forever. The bulk of the overall time to install.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Tyrath
Would you mind list the name of Mobo/cpu/memory used?
Planning on build 1 myself.
Thanks
Not real sure beyond it is a higher end ASUS AMD Mother board. Thinking that gets into the I tell Sam what I want it do and the things he does not tell me much about :)

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ASUS Prime B450M-A/CSM AM4
ASUS PRIME B450M-A/CSM AM4 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

AMD RYZEN 5 2600 CPU 6-CORE
AMD RYZEN 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz (3.9 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W YD2600BBAFBOX Desktop Processor - Newegg.com

I just recently built a new system with this GIGABYTE B450M; GIGABYTE B450 AORUS M (rev. 1.0) AM4 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com
The reason I went with the GIGABYTE was because I wanted to give the Realtek 8118 Gaming LAN a tryout. Previously I only bought Intel LAN.

Last edited:

Johnny Black

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I was one of those that only built computers using Intel processors but the prices are insane expensive, but looking into the prices of those AMD's is really changing my mind and I will give a try as well, as their reviews are really good and just to think about a system with 64GB Ram and the new 1TB SSD's . Time to go shop....

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I was one of those that only built computers using Intel processors but the prices are insane expensive, but looking into the prices of those AMD's is really changing my mind and I will give a try as well, as their reviews are really good and just to think about a system with 64GB Ram and the new 1TB SSD's . Time to go shop....
I just built an AMD gaming pc for a friend. 600$ and 80+ fps on WoW with graphics on ultra. I wouldn't over spend on Intel unless it's going into a truly high end build.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No, I had an AMD processor ONCE I'll NEVER do it again... one update they had basically killed my sound system... and I had to buy a new sound system speakers and all it would no longer use my monitor speakers... how dumb is that? Wouldn't use built-in speakers I had to get a soundcard and speakers. I was not happy... Though later I liked my surround sound system and have kept using one since but I hated AMD and all the crazy junk that it kept messing up all the time... that was the worst computer I ever owned never care to get another one. Course that's also the one that got fried by lightning in the winter... and which lost me the pictures of my Granddaughter when she was born so I am sort of biased there...

But it also had an AMD graphics card which I also will never have again... I believe that was what killed the sound system was the graphics card update...

it's Intel and NVidia for me all the way.

Johnny Black

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
@MalagAste 20 years ago, I would agree with you but I also trust reviews, you can check many reviews on Amazon, Google and Youtube and they are going head to head with Intel products and for 1/2 of the price and TBH, we dont use 50% of our computers power anyway.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Been using AMD procs and cards for a long time now and while they had some glitches years ago, I have had nothing but good experiences with them over the last decade+ The early AMD complaints I had were overheating issues and the initial Catalyst software and console for Radeon Cards was glitchy as hell and the cards had heat issues as well. All of that has long since been resolved. Card in this computer is liquid cooled and has 2 fans. LOL case has 4 other big fans proc, power supply and front and back air intakes LOL even has air filters on the air intakes to keep dust out........ and in my case dog hair :) which brings disasters to cards and mother boards.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've used nothing but AMD processors since 2001 when I bought dual Athlon MP 1800+s. My very first AMD processor was the K6 all the way back in 1997.
I've never had a bad experience with AMD CPUS. As mentioned though they did run hot early on. My dual MP system helped keep my basement computer room warm and toasty.

I haven't had anything but an AMD or ATI graphics card since the Geforce4 TI in 2002, which was my last Nvidia GPU. ATI had glitchy drivers but AMD sorted that out long ago.