• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So does anyone really do the fishmonger quest...

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Been reading up on it and it was mentioned fishing scrolls are supposed to be easier to get now but some still say it's damn near impossile to get anything above 110 without HOURS upon HOURSE of invested time.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect it to be liek 3 quests and bam even though it could happen. But knowing it's all RNG, what ave your guys experiences been with trying to get lets say 115 / 120 scrolls short of shard xfer buying like a bad little kid.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's not really RNG, you have to reach 6x20 level before you're eligible. 120s aren't that hard to get either by drop or by binding the lower scrolls. The whole thing needs a revamp though, especially the baits. But yes, it's somewhat of a grind like most everything is.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
6x20 ?

Drop I think I get (like loot drop), but binding ?

Can you elaborate please, Ty.

Also, whats wrong with baits btw ? I still gotta do more reading to see how they're used / what they're used for.

Basically I wana get HS for the content but also try and get my own PS and maybe make a few coin along the way.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The baits only give a chance to fish up the fish your going after.

I reaf one was only a 2% chance at some point... but that could be wrong.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Scroll binder made by scribes allow you to combine pinks and whites to make a higher version.

Dont remember the exact numbers tho.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
6x20 ?

Drop I think I get (like loot drop), but binding ?

Can you elaborate please, Ty.

Also, whats wrong with baits btw ? I still gotta do more reading to see how they're used / what they're used for.

Basically I wana get HS for the content but also try and get my own PS and maybe make a few coin along the way.
As you advance into the fishmonger quests your favor increases and so does the requests, until you start getting requests for 6 different fish/lobster/crab types in quanties of 20 each. The higher rewards are given with those quantities including the Legendary Fishing PS.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thx guys, binding seems like it could be a lot more work base on whats needed. I'll have to read into that.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also its not just fishing deep water and shallow water fish. Dungeon fish too but there are ok places for them. Then there is lobsters and crabs...
It takes traps that arnt cheap and you need p l e n t y. The traps have the habit to sink and get lost or mainly content lobsters and crabs with no name and they cant be used.
I think it took me about the same time to bind a 120 as to get a 120, so do both. Some other things need a tweak to be worth doing as well . The consept is good but if you are not a very patient retired person its frustrating after a while.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Yes
They can be enjoyable as long as you keep your expectations in check and dont get frustrated when you dont get what you want after every turn in

It's a lot like mining to me, just on the water. I can make money or use the rewards for myself or trade to other players

Ive gotten beyond the point of ....uhmph i did 3 orders today and didnt get a 120 !!!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will add DO NOT cancel a fishing quest hoping to get a easier one, you lose favor. As said it is not hard but it is a VERY time consuming grind.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
FishingRoute.jpg
this is an old sea chart for doing the fish monger quests...

there are now two more fishmongers to do...

Minoc and Yew

where do you all sail to do these, without having to go to shore?

Last edited:

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
@Maldar
I remember reading about it somewhere, but forgot all about it.
I was running around Minoc Sunday before the governors meeting and saw the fish monger.
However, the one in Yew on Sonoma doesn't say fish monger... It has (Guardian) behind its name

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
AFAIK, you can pick up a new quest at the port of call for your drop off from the previous one. At least for the one long video I watched earlier.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I never heard of Yew and Minoc getting fish mongers...

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will add DO NOT cancel a fishing quest hoping to get a easier one, you lose favor. As said it is not hard but it is a VERY time consuming grind.
Cancelling a fish quest when you get it does NOT make you lose favor. Throwing Fishing Quests overboard when drydocking your ship does.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was hoping with what was supposed to be a High Seas publish we would get a nice bump on our fishing but I guess fishing doesn't count in High Seas? hmm

And it didn't need to be a giant revamp, just a few new rewards and a better chance at getting PS and rare fish bait, etc.

For example, In my UO fishing life I have done a LOT (nearly 3000 now) of fishing orders and I have the sum total of 5 bottles of Charybis bait - now their solution is to make it craftable instead of making it more easily obtained by fishing so that us poor fisherfolk could have a reason to go back to fishing.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
endless script fishing would need to be stopped. I agree with you, a lot of hard work

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Maldar
I remember reading about it somewhere, but forgot all about it.
I was running around Minoc Sunday before the governors meeting and saw the fish monger.
However, the one in Yew on Sonoma doesn't say fish monger... It has (Guardian) behind its name
Minoc and Yew DO NOT have fishmongers.

Any mob with (Guardian) in the name was made by an EM.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What shard do you play on where the Devs installed and activated Minoc and Yew ?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I was going to say I'm fairly certain my city does NOT have one... Think I would have noticed that.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I managed to get HS, did 2 quests but picked up a third one asking for crabs. Someone said something about traps. But what if I don't have any ?

Yes I know I can google, but I prefer the convo if no one minds, Ty.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I forgot if they are only sold at the Sea Market. Buy a bunch put them out and pull them up when the first one bobs or you will lose them. When you get the timing down you dont lose them and they all get a crab or lobster. I still have my original 20.

I fish for a few days before doing the quests. That way you have 20 of each fish,lobster,crab in deed form to gather and turn in. Theres a lot of different types.

Lobster Trap - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Fishing in the High Seas – Ultima Online

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didnt think about that, I've been "eating" the others lmao

Good call though, Thx.

How often do you not have to do a quest to lose rep built ? So can you fish a week. Quest a day, fixh a week quest a day etc ?

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pakcs fill quick though before you ever see one stack of 20 though. Only thing I hate bec you cant add to a deed AFAIK and they all gotta go somewhere and I don't have 200k for an orc ship for the added hold size. I want a tokuno ship which is 50k cheaper I read. But those arent at the sea market like theyre supposed to be.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pakcs fill quick though before you ever see one stack of 20 though. Only thing I hate bec you cant add to a deed AFAIK and they all gotta go somewhere and I don't have 200k for an orc ship for the added hold size. I want a tokuno ship which is 50k cheaper I read. But those arent at the sea market like theyre supposed to be.
Fishing or lobster fishing from a Tokuno Boat gives a +1 to fishing skillfactor.
Commodity deeds can be filled and redeemed in the hold of a galleon.
Reference: Ships Guide – Ultima Online

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't even have to go to the sea market for a tokuno ship can buy one at the tokuno docks :)

tok ship.png

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally I like Brit Ships for fishing and doing SOS because of the big hold, draw back to them is you have to buy them from the store or make a whole lot of donations to the community collection. They also are best for open water activities where you can maneuver more easily. ORC ships are better for pirating merch ships, beacons and other pirate ships due to the increased cannon damage. Tokuno ship as said gives the +1 to fishing but small hold. Garg ships have a decent size deck and a bigger hold than a tokuno ship... with more cannons. And I am trying to love the Pumpkin Cannons but failing at it :)

brit ship.png

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I forgot if they are only sold at the Sea Market. Buy a bunch put them out and pull them up when the first one bobs or you will lose them. When you get the timing down you dont lose them and they all get a crab or lobster. I still have my original 20.

I fish for a few days before doing the quests. That way you have 20 of each fish,lobster,crab in deed form to gather and turn in. Theres a lot of different types.

Lobster Trap - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Fishing in the High Seas – Ultima Online
I'll have to double check the sea market for them. Didn't find them anywhere else I looked.

Fishing or lobster fishing from a Tokuno Boat gives a +1 to fishing skillfactor.
Commodity deeds can be filled and redeemed in the hold of a galleon.
Reference: Ships Guide – Ultima Online
I saw that which is why I want it, because of the modifieer but also because it's the largest hold short of buying the brit boat or saving I think it was 10m donation pts to the library.

You can do commodity deeds in ur ships hold.
Good to know, will save me from worrying about a commodity deed box. But FWIW, is that any boat or just the galleons ?

Don't even have to go to the sea market for a tokuno ship can buy one at the tokuno docks :)

View attachment 102699
Nice... Now I just need 150k on GL lol...

Anyone feeling generous for a returning vet ? ;-)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's any of the High Seas boats... if you don't have high seas you can't use them.

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cancelling a fish quest when you get it does NOT make you lose favor. Throwing Fishing Quests overboard when drydocking your ship does.
I don't know about that. I thought/think it does. The UO Wiki still says this: "The number of a specific kind of fish in an order will increase by 5 if you have previously completed an order with the same type of fish up to 20, or decrease by 5 if you resigned from a previous quest having the same type of fish in the order down to 10."

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know about that. I thought/think it does. The UO Wiki still says this: "The number of a specific kind of fish in an order will increase by 5 if you have previously completed an order with the same type of fish up to 20, or decrease by 5 if you resigned from a previous quest having the same type of fish in the order down to 10."
So the caveat is you can cancel and not incur a loss provided you haven't done a quest of that same fish before which is probably guaranteed to some respect if your new to this quest line like I am. I have cancelled two when I started out just playing with stuff but havent since and am currently working on my third. But that said, they've all been 1x10 so far.

Just wish I had 150k for the Tokuno ship since from what I read. That's supposed to help get I think it was bigger quests right off the bat. I'd have to find the specific page I read but more so, not necessarily including the +1 to fishing, but for the bigger hold size and now as it seems the ability to use commodity deeds in the ships hold.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So the caveat is you can cancel and not incur a loss provided you haven't done a quest of that same fish before which is probably guaranteed to some respect if your new to this quest line like I am. I have cancelled two when I started out just playing with stuff but havent since and am currently working on my third. But that said, they've all been 1x10 so far.

Just wish I had 150k for the Tokuno ship since from what I read. That's supposed to help get I think it was bigger quests right off the bat. I'd have to find the specific page I read but more so, not necessarily including the +1 to fishing, but for the bigger hold size and now as it seems the ability to use commodity deeds in the ships hold.
I will log on GL in a bit and give you a Orc Ship LOL you can even pick which one ;)
house full of high seas ****.png

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WTF lol...

I actually only need parts I tink 4 & 7 to complete one I "have" now that I started back in 2014 before I last quit. Still want the tokuno ship at some point bec next to the brit ship at 10m points or bought from the store. The tokuno ship has the 2nd largest hold size and when I fish, I like to do it for a long while lol.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I am on GL now the house is the far SW corner of Zento Square (Straight West from the Docks) Have to come get it :)

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am on GL now the house is the far SW corner of Zento Square (Straight West from the Docks) Have to come get it :)
In addition to my last reply since I think we both replied at the same time. I can't get on for a bit.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK yell in gc if it is in the next 30 minutes or so. I will see if I have a tok ship floating around on any oddball characters

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK yell in gc if it is in the next 30 minutes or so. I will see if I have a tok ship floating around on any oddball characters
Not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth as they say, I'll pop on now.

John Roxxton

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Enjoy and don't forget to keep those cannons repaired ;)
Don't know that I'm gonna worry about fighting after a 5 yr break LMAO

Still gotta read up more on repair for that etc as well the whole battle stuff / mechanics of it all be it with other players or quest lines.

But re the talk about hold size.

Ship Hold Size Durability Cannons Cannon Damage
Tokuno Boat 16k Stones 100K 5 100%
Gargoyle Boat 12k Stones 140k 7 100%
Orc Boat 14k Stones 100k 7 150%
Britannia Boat 28k stones ? 9 ?
Ships Guide – Ultima Online

Tokuno 2k ontop of Orc.

So if you do have one floating around I'd still love it, can trade you back for the Orc unless your feeling over generous lol

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't know that I'm gonna worry about fighting after a 5 yr break LMAO

Still gotta read up more on repair for that etc as well the whole battle stuff / mechanics of it all be it with other players or quest lines.

But re the talk about hold size.

Ships Guide – Ultima Online

Tokuno 2k ontop of Orc.

So if you do have one floating around I'd still love it, can trade you back for the Orc unless your feeling over generous lol
Yep the hold is bigger on the toks

The fighting is easy and real handy if you have a blacksmith, carpenter or tailor. If you are around tomorrow, I am going to take a day off from cutting trees up (RL) and spend the day playing. Be happy to take you out on the boat and show you how to take out everything from merch ships to plunder beacons.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd be down for that. Pretty much free all day outside of a few tasks / errands I need to get done.

As for other skill sets, all that's still on Baja. Need to save $80 to xfer them over. But regarding the ones you mentioned. I have all of them with me being slightly unsure on my certainty regarding the tailor. Pretty sure I started one but don't recall skill lvl if any. But I remember days spent in the luna tailor shop doing stuff. ust not if it was for skill or to earn money lol

But I'm in Pa, so EST.

For the immediate curiosity, how is it handy to have them outside of the obvious for making things like armor / clothes etc.

Guessing for cannons and stuff of the like, making items for them ?

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Minoc and Yew DO NOT have fishmongers.

Any mob with (Guardian) in the name was made by an EM.
I looked again and it was a harbor master that I was looking at lol

what got me confused is, I was just at one of the other docks and saw the fish monger.

I thought they added them without telling us

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd be down for that. Pretty much free all day outside of a few tasks / errands I need to get done.

As for other skill sets, all that's still on Baja. Need to save $80 to xfer them over. But regarding the ones you mentioned. I have all of them with me being slightly unsure on my certainty regarding the tailor. Pretty sure I started one but don't recall skill lvl if any. But I remember days spent in the luna tailor shop doing stuff. ust not if it was for skill or to earn money lol

But I'm in Pa, so EST.

For the immediate curiosity, how is it handy to have them outside of the obvious for making things like armor / clothes etc.

Guessing for cannons and stuff of the like, making items for them ?
The merch ships are handy for higher end resources like ignots, woods and barbed leather. The craft skills have no bearing on actually hunting the NPC ships. For merch ships you can have no skills and scuttle and loot them. For Pirate ships you need a mystic mage, A sampire or a tamer Hiding or enough mage to invis is a real plus. For the Plunder beacons a mystic archer is best IMO but a chiv, necro, bushi archer works well also. My pets will be the meat shields so you won't get aggro often by beacon or pirate ship crews. LOL just bring a torch and that ramrod to work a set of cannons :) You can have all the loot I will just be filling soul binders.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I wish but No... I keep hoping though... figured it might be part of this revamp... but the revamp seems... FLAT to me. I mean is it just me but did they really add anything decent to fishing besides a few trinkets for the SoS?

Did they fix anything about the crap loot on a sea serpent???? Nope...

Did they fix the fishmongers at all so that you don't automatically get a new quest?? Nope... still screwed if you drop the quests...

Did they fix the plain lobster and crab or are you still stuck with tons of that and little of what you really need... Nope.

So did they fix any serious flaws with fishing? Bait do anything for you? That lousy suit give you better bonus??? Nope again...

So what exactly did they do for fishers? Squat... gave us more aquariums some that stick through the floor because there is that... using a dye on them they are dipped in paint... so there is that... gave us fish that die no matter what you do to put in aquariums no one ever uses... new nets for new aquariums... but fixed none of the real relevant issues.

I'm sorry but I'm not impressed.

Didn't give us more Fish Mongers, didn't fix bait, didn't fix the suit, didn't fix the crap loot on serpents and leviathans or Krakens...

Sounds like smoke and mirrors to me.

But what do I know... I'm not happy with anything...

Maybe that's because I'm tired of smoke and mirrors and I want actual changes. REAL changes that people do want.

And having put that crap skill on my T-Hunter I'm safe in saying that I'm not a fan of the changes there either... haven't seen any of the skeleton keys in I don't know how long... get nearly none of the things I used to look forward to in chest now... and it take 10x more chests to get what I did need. Only thing I get much much more of that my character does like is gems. Now instead of getting just one pile of a few of one kind of gem I now get loads of all the gems... Rik Gemtracker is very happy about that... but the rest... not so much.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The merch ships are handy for higher end resources like ignots, woods and barbed leather. The craft skills have no bearing on actually hunting the NPC ships. For merch ships you can have no skills and scuttle and loot them. For Pirate ships you need a mystic mage, A sampire or a tamer Hiding or enough mage to invis is a real plus. For the Plunder beacons a mystic archer is best IMO but a chiv, necro, bushi archer works well also. My pets will be the meat shields so you won't get aggro often by beacon or pirate ship crews. LOL just bring a torch and that ramrod to work a set of cannons :) You can have all the loot I will just be filling soul binders.
Most of my chars have Magery, I have a Tamer with a WW and an Archer. Beyond that I can't recall without looking. Everything other than my fisher you met is on Baja.

But ya, seems like all the fighting requires some skill like a mage, tamer etc with exception to merch ships which I guess is just fought with cannons unless I'm not getting something from what you said.

Also, I'm good with that lol... but where did you say to get that cannon torch from earlier ?

I forget what soul binders are so I'm gonna go read up on that right quick before calling it a night since my raspberry pi 4 with this new kodi build is acting up and irking me some.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I was hoping with what was supposed to be a High Seas publish we would get a nice bump on our fishing but I guess fishing doesn't count in High Seas? hmm.
Yes, but apparently t-hunting IS something to do with High Seas....so go figure!
I expected more done for fishermen/ladies but instead they messed with t-hunting. Also why the hell is my female fisher a fisherman? She could be a Fisherwoman same as we have swordswoman! I get way too annoyed about that...*grumbles*
I remember spending about 3 days doing fishing quests for a few hours a day at least, I ended up with thousands of useless fish, a few useless bait and a very sore hand from trying to get lobsters, I never did it again. :(