• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

White Ancient SoS 2

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'v e been playing far from many years. I have often found the white ancient SoS. Not only fishing but also in the carpet and many times also in the rewards of the aquarium. It a long time that i don't find no white SoS. Has something changed???

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh wow, I forgot about those. Remind me what generally came up with them, besides I think it was a white net. Or Im forgetting more than I thought. I need to figure out what shard I wana live on before I start unpacking and really get into my chars (Baja seems dead, thinking GL, but def not ATL). But I managed to turn on my account last night after what I think was about 6 yrs. But saving 80 to buy a transfer 5pack is easier said than done.

Account creation goes back to Feb. 2000, but in game only reports 110 months sadly.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'v e been playing far from many years. I have often found the white ancient SoS. Not only fishing but also in the carpet and many times also in the rewards of the aquarium. It a long time that i don't find no white SoS. Has something changed???
Seems to me to be just the opposite, I am getting more ancients than ever before, last week I clicked 5 bottles and got 3 ancients but i know this was just a lucky hit. It does seem though that there are a lot more than before on the more than 100 I've opened since August.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to Hijack, but of those who have replied including the OP.

What shard are you on ?

I'm on Baja which seems all but dead. Hoping to move by the new year (if not sooner) to an active shard but am adamant about it not being ATL, too many asshats even though yes. I know it's not the entire shard.

But I have a Thunter, fisher, mage, tamer bard. Cant recall much else as I have yet to really get back into my account other than the few mins I spent checking some sm things out/

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Ivory Norwind I think you are seeing the bad pattern of the random number generator... Sometimes the carpets give me 2 sometimes only 1 sometimes I get none at all.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the rate of white sos's was changed from 1 in 25 regular mibs to 1 in 20 recently, they actually made it easier to get them - you have to fish up mibs on an industrial scale to really see the difference over opening 1000s of regular mibs - not sayin' I do that :) hehe

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most often you get junk like boots and fishing pooles but also mibs .Top reward is the huge shells you only get them if your aquarium is full and the fish kept alive for the two day period and with a full aquarium thats unusual.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Really if you are farming mibs you need to dump your fisherman and use your warrior. Salvage hooks which can be purchased for a relatively cheap price can pull up krakens which carry mibs. Yo can do 30-50 mibs an hour this way.

Snowdrop

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to Hijack, but of those who have replied including the OP.

What shard are you on ?

I'm on Baja which seems all but dead. Hoping to move by the new year (if not sooner) to an active shard but am adamant about it not being ATL, too many asshats even though yes. I know it's not the entire shard.

But I have a Thunter, fisher, mage, tamer bard. Cant recall much else as I have yet to really get back into my account other than the few mins I spent checking some sm things out/
Try out Cats, you might like it there!

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try out Cats, you might like it there!
Copy that, so far the list of considerations is...

Catskills
Great Lakes

As for going back on topic, I remember some fun days, non sarcastic fun, but some fun days of just hitting the water for I **** you not like 3 hrs and just fishing. I don't know that any of my guys are favorites in a sense, but I did partial my fisherman. Don't remember what he had in the way of fighting skills though. But I do remember running like a little pancake from monsters, sometimes, but then I think I tried to fix that by swapping some skills around. Think with my tamer maybe, I vaguely remember having a WW with me once.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There's a bunch of us that hit the seas regularly on LA; currently, I'm doing SOS off the coast of Yew, while my buds are concentrating on pirates, beacons, and the event monsters.

I waited until I had about 170 MIBs before opening, and when I opened them, got 10. Note that there were stretches of 30 a couple times with no Ancients, then 2-3 ancients within a 10-MiB period.

It's an artifact of the streakiness of the UO RNG, where you can get a string of similar results at any point on the curve. If you look at the end result of millions of RNG (what they've always done, except for Draconi - right before they laid him off) without examining it on the micro scale (samples of 20-50 sequential random generations from the raw data), it "appears" balanced - because it has streaks at all values which cancel each other out on the "millions of pulls" level. But that doesn't help the miner that failed 8 times in a row on a 52% success chance to smelt, far more often than a truly balanced RNG would allow. On the other hand, the lucky fisher that hits a good streak can sometimes get 3-5 ASOS over 10-12 MIB openings that should be 4%/5%/6% chances (depending on the era) - but then go the next 50 MIBs with 0 ancients.

There is a superstition among some of the older players that you should never open more than 10 MIB at a time, if all 10 of them end up regular. But, if you get at least one ASOS, immediately add/open 10 more as quickly as possible, to try to "game" a possible RNG streak.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, we know that no one at Broadsword or EA knows.....

Then again, I'f from a math/stats/CS teaching background (passed the classes for the math & stats, not the EDU classes due to health (hard to sit in on classes at public schools if you can't breathe), and would have to restart CS classes from the freshman level if I went back, since my last classes predated several curriculum changes that each changed the language for the path). The idea of a balance/fair RNG is easier to do with properly made dice than with any computer software, but looking for data anomalies in the output of a programmed pseudo-RNG is supposed to be part of the refinement process. Instead, UO (according to Draconi) was apparently made using a public domain "RNG" that would a decade later be commonly used in Facebook games, and is usually handed out to high-level computer programming classes with the instructions "start with this, tinker with it to make it a better randomizer, and turn in the results for a grade".