• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The recreation of Ultima Online as a 3D experience continues

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Back to the conversation of art, though, I wonder what the game would look like (As a test) If just a handful of static items were upgraded?

It would have to be items that are all over the world, such as water, grass, or road tiles, or building blocks. (or as has been said before, potted plants!!! :p)

Even a redo of the static items, would probably make the game look much better.

Valura

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Saphireena, they are crazy not to take you in with open arms. I always loved your style and admired your understanding and grasp of what was amiss with some of the artwork. I can remember how eager we were to get pen portraits created by you, must of been half of Europa knocking at your door. Even if you are not currently playing UO I am delighted you are spreading your pretty magic through the world.

Lovely to hear from you! Truly lovely!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I often wonder how they sold the idea of making yet another client after not one, but two previous dismal attempts.

The current one seems "ok", but pales significantly in comparison to almost every other isometric (Think that's the term) client/game I've played.

Hey ho! :)
The current EC is a shadow of what it was supposed to be... but that's what they get for pushing things with a tiny fraction of the people that they really needed to do the job right... EA's problem is that it's too impatient and tries to shove things out the door when they are barely even started and then wonder why it flops and isn't well received... They also don't consult the players on much of anything... had they consulted the players we could/should/would have told them that they were going about some of the art all wrong... and were prioritizing the wrong things.

What it boiled down to was that all they really cared about was putting out SA... not the new client. So what we were left with when they decided to give up on the KR client was hideously ugly. But far more functional than the CC.

They after much extreme fits by most of the playerbase did fix the female from looking much like ... a linebacker... or something... to what it is now which while a massive improvement.... is still more manly than most of us like. The male paperdoll however still looks much like he's trying to fart or something and males went from being nicely muscular to kinda looking wimpy with dunlap disease... but that's probably that ridiculous 1/2 squat he's always in. HATE it... I now mostly ignore the paperdoll... and go with other visions of my character(s)...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Hahahaha! I did tell my husband his EC paperdoll looked like it pooped itself, it's a bit like a toddler that had a little 'accident', I don't mind the female one and I never saw this butch female that's been mentioned! Anyone got a picture of that? :eek:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I really don't understand why the UO team don't learn from past mistakes when it comes to fixing/replacing things which aren't broken to begin with.

I dread to think how much of the money they get from subscribers that's been wasted on things that weren't needed.

Those potted plants are just a tiny fraction of the things they shouldn't have bothered with, let alone implemented, which reminds me of the god awful animated animals/monsters introduced into the game when Lord Blackthorns revenge came out.

Two examples I can think of, the Titan and Balron graphics, gah.
The art changes were to avoid a breech of contract. When UO2 was in development they contracted Todd McFarlane (the Spawn comic book guy) to do some of the creature art, when the project was canceled they stuck the art into UO to avoid legal issues. I don't necessarily like it, they should have introduced new creatures using the art if you ask me, but I understand why it happened.

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The art changes were to avoid a breech of contract. When UO2 was in development they contracted Todd McFarlane (the Spawn comic book guy) to do some of the creature art, when the project was canceled they stuck the art into UO to avoid legal issues. I don't necessarily like it, they should have introduced new creatures using the art if you ask me, but I understand why it happened.
Ah yea, that rings a bell now I think of it, so they HAD to add it to avoid legal issues? Explains why the original art was never put back then.
Still, it makes some aspects of the game look completely alien to other parts.

Saphireena

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We always hear about some original tools/artwork being lost. Maybe it's those original models. We still have the pictures taken of those models, but the models themselves might be gone.
If that's the case, that would explain a lot.
He also said most of the art team had moved on to other projects after The Second Age. Which would explain why there seems to be a clear break in the art between Launch/T2A and everything that came after. (Not to mention the massive changes with 3D client attempts.)
Yes, something like that. What I have never understood though, is how on earth they were not able to simply mimic the method and lighting and render style that they used for those original assets and simply create a new working setup for them. Especially considering how tech got better as years went on. "Lost files" just doesn't cut it for me.

Saphireena

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oooooooohhhh so that's why that happened? Fascinating back story. I remember well the big deal made over Todd McFarlane doing some artwork for UO, but I never made the connection to the old mobs replaced with the horrible rendered ones.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Todd McFarlane was contracted to do new art for Blackthorn's Revenge in 2002. Much of that release's art was of his making. I hadn't heard they retained him for UO2, interesting.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Todd McFarlane was contracted to do new art for Blackthorn's Revenge in 2002. Much of that release's art was of his making. I hadn't heard they retained him for UO2, interesting.
UO 2 development was canceled in 2001, LBR came out in 2002 and used some of UO2’s finished art assets, it’s why the style is so different than what was existing art at the time.

Saphireena

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO 2 development was canceled in 2001, LBR came out in 2002 and used some of UO2’s finished art assets, it’s why the style is so different than what was existing art at the time.
Aaahhhhhhah! So it wasn't just a matter of blatant disregard for the original style! That actually kinda makes me feel a bit better. On the other hand, it's a shame that they felt it was acceptable to be integrated with the original UO. I wonder if the art team were cringing at that time (having the understanding that this is not right to do) whilst it might have been production saying "Naah, it looks FINE! It's going in! We'll save money!"

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is thiis thing? A frre shard or a new client for the offcial game?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
What is thiis thing? A frre shard or a new client for the offcial game?
It's Wurm Online, another Sandbox MMO, in it everything except the natural environment is player created, so all the buildings etc. Basically they are recreating scenes from UO in another game by hand from scratch.

Saphireena

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's Wurm Online, another Sandbox MMO, in it everything except the natural environment is player created, so all the buildings etc. Basically they are recreating scenes from UO in another game by hand from scratch.
Close! More specifically, it's "Wurm Unlimited", the standalone Steam version of the MMO version of Wurm: "Wurm Online".
Think of Wurm Online as being equivalent to Ultima Online.
Think of Wurm Unlimited being equivalent to UO free shards where players can fully modify the game and open their servers to other players. The only difference being, that in this case, it's totally legit.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Ahh okies, I knew about one not the other.

Saphireena

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh. you can change the code and GUIs too?
Yup! There is an active modding community. I myself being only an artist have been able to figure out enough how to replace textures, but those who code can do all sorts of crazy things. I think this episode of Nujel'm really showcases that well.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
PLEASE apply for a job at BS and improve the graphics of the current clients
If you apply for a job at Broadsword, you likely end up working 30 hours on DAoC and some random 5 hours on UO...

UO is only the sidekick here..

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Yup! There is an active modding community. I myself being only an artist have been able to figure out enough how to replace textures, but those who code can do all sorts of crazy things. I think this episode of Nujel'm really showcases that well.

Looks like what UO2 should be.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It would be nice if she was added to the art team

Best work I have seen that keeps with the “feel” of UO

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
PLEASE apply for a job at BS and improve the graphics of the current clients
I doubt it will ever happen
It's not a one person job, it requires a team of proper artists, like Saphireena, working full time over a long period.
I often wonder how long it took to make all the art (and animations) for the original game, it must have taken an age.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
.nice.
But there is more than just 3D-ing a world. Interactions between objects, collision detection, npc automation, synchronize clients and last but not least copyrights.
But every hard work based on love or passion has to be honored by getting a closer look.

Saphireena

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They need to hire you !
Aww that's very sweet to say!

Well you know, I've just recently started a new chapter in my life to work from home. After working in offices and studios for 15 years straight and 12 of those years being in the game industry, I wanted to change things up a bit and work from home for a change. I have so many projects which I've always wanted to complete, but just never had the time or energy. So point being, that now it would actually be technically be completely feasible for me to do work for UO. The only problem is that the only kind of work I'd really feel inspired by revolves all around the legacy client. How I would LOVE to take all those 2d assets which lack consistency with the original style and to polish and fix them to all look good with the original artwork. When UO went F2P this spring I logged on with my old characters and was shocked by some of the weird stuff you see in the game these days. I have nothing against new assets, I just feel super strongly about it needing to be stylized in such a way that respects and follows the original style. Perspective, use of color palette, shadows, level of detail etc. It seems like most of those things are off.

.nice.
But there is more than just 3D-ing a world. Interactions between objects, collision detection, npc automation, synchronize clients and last but not least copyrights.
But every hard work based on love or passion has to be honored by getting a closer look.
Very very true Coco, but just in case there was some misunderstanding, let me make this absolutely clear - this project is not about building UO from scratch, I'm merely using the engine of another game (Wurm Unlimited) to see "just for the fun of it" how closely I could recreate the UO map visually. All game mechanics are already built into the game, but they are Wurm game mechanics and it is those that we have to use. However, Wurm is a very similar game to UO. For instance you also train up skills from 0-100 (versus rolling a class and level up a character). In Wurm you also build houses, tame animals, craft all the same things, sail ships, fish etc. So mechanics-wise, Wurm is actually a very nice match to get a similar experience. And copyrights to Wurm's assets belong to Wurm, they have nothing to do with UO. Wurm Unlimited allows players to make their own servers, but they don't control what we can or cannot do with our servers. As for EA, one would think that EA would have a much bigger issue with UO free shards than they do with someone simply using the building blocks of another game to imitate the original for fun. I'm sure it's been done in Minecraft as well as other games. I still appreciate the "reality check" comment, as you are very correct about many people not considering these things. *gentle smile*

Thank you so much for this. And so it begins... :)
Hey Cyrah, I'm glad it brought you some joy! But I have to ask... "what" begins? *looks around nervously*

Wow!!! Simply beautiful!! Thank you so much for sharing!!
Thank ye kindly! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :heart:

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I know its been a year.... but the Yew nostalgia is my favorite evar! And yes, Yew is all about the large trees!

Thank you Saph!!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aw... Yew is my favorite UO city... always will be.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yew does make an awesome swamp. lets go park a few trailers near the pens and let 'er rip.
LOL I got my Park Model inside Luna, I could be persuaded to move out of the Luna Ghetto if they Make Yew Great Swamp Property Again :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You all leave my beautiful city alone and move on over to New Magincia with the rest of the trailer trash... :mad:

Mil

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wonderful! Very nice to look at.

Please do Moonglow? :)

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think it may be a case of "like minds" *drinks another natty light and throws the can in the yard*

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they made Yew Swamp again......... I could move the the Swamp PERVs out of the Trinsic Swamp :) and build a respectable mobile home instead of having to live in shack....... Too hot in the Trin Swamp fer a proper mobile home :(

Swamp Plantation.png

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am getting around to it, sadly screen shot of the Luna I gave to someone are on a dead hard drive. It was comparably trashy to yers :)

I think Vic got to see that one since he gave it to me, and then I think I passed it on to AJ who made it a fancy establishment.