• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO anniversary made news all over !

I was so surprised to see the free advertise that UO received all over the places.
Most news feeds , such as yahoo, google and others had on their feeds that the oldest online game just completed 22 years.
I thought that was just me, because the AI of those places went over my phone history or something, but than my wife checked hers and boy she hate this game, so no, she would never check anything related to the game, but than she checked browsers and all and to surprise us all, yes, UO made huge news.

Ultima Online turns 22 years old today, teases upcoming Jolly Roger update | Massively Overpowered

Last edited:

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am not doubting this and glad UO gets some mention. It was in my feed as well.

I do want to point out though that obscure topics of conversations around me (not even involved with myself) have wound up in my Google feed. Just the other day someone was talking about a band I have never heard of and not even in my listening genre but it popped up in my feed promoting a tour.

They do listen. l usually don't wear a tinfoil hat but it happens so often now I can't deny it.

Just a possibility even though I hope UO is getting out there again beyond gaming sites.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well from the grapevine I'd heard that they "claimed" that UO does advertise... and I recall saying something to the effect of "if they are paying for advertising I think they should demand their money back because I've NEVER seen it"... so maybe they demanded something from their money spent and it's finally happening???

But I don't see ads pretty much because I have adblockers... but yeah if it is showing up places now that's great.

I still say they ought to get on the Discord bandwagon as that also can advertise for them. But that's me.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well from the grapevine I'd heard that they "claimed" that UO does advertise... and I recall saying something to the effect of "if they are paying for advertising I think they should demand their money back because I've NEVER seen it"... so maybe they demanded something from their money spent and it's finally happening???

But I don't see ads pretty much because I have adblockers... but yeah if it is showing up places now that's great.

I still say they ought to get on the Discord bandwagon as that also can advertise for them. But that's me.
Same here. For years I didn't see hardly any mention of UO - other than FS. This is pretty slick.

Article claims UO as one of the longest running MMO but I think it IS the longest running one. Only other MMO I can think of is The Realm but when Sierra Online went under it was offline for several months until a new owner could be found. Dunno if Meridian 59 even exists still - or could qualify.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
They should have paid a couple of the PC magazine journalists and MMO sites to attend the 20th anniversary party.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I am not doubting this and glad UO gets some mention. It was in my feed as well.

I do want to point out though that obscure topics of conversations around me (not even involved with myself) have wound up in my Google feed. Just the other day someone was talking about a band I have never heard of and not even in my listening genre but it popped up in my feed promoting a tour.

They do listen. l usually don't wear a tinfoil hat but it happens so often now I can't deny it.

Just a possibility even though I hope UO is getting out there again beyond gaming sites.

I'm a believer. For how many ads I've seen where my wife or I will mention something casually it's pretty scary. Now we try to trick devices it reporting/recording products we would NEVER buy. We're trying to figure out which device is doing it - our iphone or our echo. For all we know our smart tv has a recording device in it. Sigh.

"Oh boy, how about that HARLEY DAVIDSON. I wonder how much one of those HARLEY DAVIDSONS cost?"

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lol I got a free Alexa because my niece who lives in the boonies thinks the govt listens in.

*looks outside* No FBI or police cars, they dont. I love to make 'Alexa what do you think about' "Name". I trick so many people. Alexa hates my daughters dog.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I was so surprised to see the free advertise that UO received all over the places.
Most news feeds , such as yahoo, google and others had on their feeds that the oldest online game just completed 22 years.
I thought that was just me, because the AI of those places went over my phone history or something, but than my wife checked hers and boy she hate this game, so no, she would never check anything related to the game, but than she checked browsers and all and to surprise us all, yes, UO made huge news.

Ultima Online turns 22 years old today, teases upcoming Jolly Roger update | Massively Overpowered

And I thought my wife was the only wife that hates UO. Heres me playing UO. And all of a sudden : Ninja attack to my dumpy cluttered little room. "AHAAA!" (90 decibels loud). "I caught you! You are playing your blanety-blank game again!" and "When are you going to clean up this room and dump all the junk from here.." I dunno, maybe I should put a proximity warning sensor someplace on the stairway down for when she decides to raid me. Have not found anything yet that could be hidden someplace so I can get early warning..There must be something I could install that is discrete..:)

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Lol I got a free Alexa because my niece who lives in the boonies thinks the govt listens in.

*looks outside* No FBI or police cars, they dont. I love to make 'Alexa what do you think about' "Name". I trick so many people. Alexa hates my daughters dog.
Yep.. I got the same, and my wife also thought that the thing is posessed and that the govt is listening in. So my reply was: So what? Nothing to hide, and alexa is not in the bedroom either..Sooo? Alexa is really awesome.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And I thought my wife was the only wife that hates UO. Heres me playing UO. And all of a sudden : Ninja attack to my dumpy cluttered little room. "AHAAA!" (90 decibels loud). "I caught you! You are playing your blanety-blank game again!" and "When are you going to clean up this room and dump all the junk from here.." I dunno, maybe I should put a proximity warning sensor someplace on the stairway down for when she decides to raid me. Have not found anything yet that could be hidden someplace so I can get early warning..There must be something I could install that is discrete..:)
Reminds me of my friend Rascal... I miss him so much... He used to say stuff like "Uh Oh! The Wardens home... I better get to looking like I've been busy doing something..." and he'd log off for a while till he got his "honey-do's" done then he'd be "allowed" to come play with us again. I miss him so much... He passed away a few years ago, and the game hasn't been the same since...

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have a similar problem, wife suddenly bursting in making some sort of announcement as she walks through the door, making my jump out of my seat when I'm in the middle of an intense scenario ( lately it's been Elder Scrolls Online). I tried locking the door so she'd have to knock first, but that just made her mad :)

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I feel bad for you guys. My little buddy Wyatt (my yorkie) starts barking as the misses approaches. Best early warning system around.