• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why does "everyone" like Atlantic

Sempronius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I can go to most severs and find at least one spot to put a Small Keep and in many cases a castle. I go to Atlantic, and the best I can put in is a Large Tower.

But, the point is what are the advantages to being on Atlantic are there over having a Castle on a less populated server such as Origin... Or even Catskills.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can go to most severs and find at least one spot to put a Small Keep and in many cases a castle. I go to Atlantic, and the best I can put in is a Large Tower.

But, the point is what are the advantages to being on Atlantic are there over having a Castle on a less populated server such as Origin... Or even Catskills.
More
people to play with and lots of stuff available to buy. that's it.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why does "everyone" like Atlantic?

Everyone doesn't. Cute. You type with air quotes.

I would ask this on the Atlantic Forum.

Draden

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I am a newly returning player of about a month and the folks at Lake Austin have been super helpful !!!! May not have all the vendors like Atlantic but people stop to talk with you and when you need help they do so . I have been away from game for a long time and as such don't understand alot of the quests/mini champ spawns . I am not in any guild but folks offer to take me out and show me how to do different quests/spawns . That in my opinion makes this smaller shard population the best . Yes i know all shards have a kinda family like group but this seemed to be simply welcoming. They even helped me find that spot for one of the new Castles. :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I try to avoid Atl like the plague that it is... I think of it as the place everyone has some sort of summer home (the rich that is who have tons of accounts to spare)... and they put vendors there but they don't actually play there... this is why every now and then when I'm on Atl I find myself helping new and returning players because NO ONE on Atl can be bothered to do it... I even did some Pirates on Atl with a returning player... teaching him the ropes of it... I didn't really want to do it but no one else seemed to even be online... was like a ghost town.

People only go there to buy and sell... not to really play. No one on Atl has to actually do any of the content they can simply sit around and wait for all the stuff to come to them to buy it if they want it. Only people I've ever seen on Atl are buying and selling or macroing skills AFK.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The advantages are 50/50 across the board in my opinion. I don't play Atlantic and quite frankly can not function there with a stable connection, same can be said for the test server. Both are out of my playable zone. The population is for some a clear plus and for some that population is a minus.

It all boils down to how you like to play.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
ATL is not my main shard. But..I find that all the comments against ATL are prejudicial really. The population yes has more PvP and more immature-acting 30 and 60 year olds talking like teenagers. But the rest of the folks are awesome. And they DO help the new players also, not all people do but many do. Lots of people moved there due to more guilds and in general more people to play with. Has more items available on VS and there is a competition that keeps prices down for most part.
Being crappy is part of human nature..So if you are in a large population place, you meet all sorts of people. Also if you help folks, they turn around and help you. If you go there with an axe to grind and a prejudiced attitude that all payers there are crap, you will find the negatives. I have seen both the ignorant-attitudes and the very nice folk there. Most people are really nice in my opinion.
It is possible also now that we have the consignment vendors that will see a little less shopping in ATL, and hopefully more in the lower pop shards.
The rule is: If you want lots of interactions with people, lots of available items and dont mind having a massive castle, ATL is not a bad choice.
If you want more solitude, and want to be in a nice team, and want to aspire to large housing easy availability, intermediate or even low population shard may be your choice.
Also if you enjoy PvP (hopefully not PK), then ATL is your best choice, as there are several guilds there that are very active in PvP..Just my 10 cents..

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I play there because that's where I had my main back before I left.

When I came back I slowly moved all other skills to there.

Am not sure why it's the main trading shard. It's not the only est cost shard.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Am not sure why it's the main trading shard. It's not the only est cost shard
You can not find all the pet scroll choices anywhere else. Also the imbuing ingredients are always for sale in 10s or bulk.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Atlantic is catering to people on the Atlantic ocean, thus to people in the U.S. East coast, perhaps also in the mideast, in Eastern Canada, as well as those in Europe at the other side of Atlantic, all of whom have a playable ping there. (I think this is because of the transatlantic submarine cable connecting North America and Western Europe).

Pacific, on the other hand, was once also one of the most popular shards, but it only covers areas such as California and Western Canada. The U.S. midwest also is less populated than the mideast while on the other side of the Pacific, the Asian-Pacific nations got their own (still populated) servers such as Formosa or Asuka. Also, South Americans were not rich enough to pay the 10 dollar subscription fee back in the day, meaning that these people often went to free shards instead to Pacific or other North American shards. So on Atlantic, you cover two continents, while on the other servers, you cover only 1 continent and often less populated areas within the U.S.

Furthermore, if you take a look here: https://surpricebox.com/s/2019/08/p...ight-savings-clock-missouri-maine-970x469.jpg, you see that the Eastern time zone is home to the vast majority of people living in the U.S.. Thus, Atlantic represents the underlying demographics of the general population as well as maximizes the player base for a given time zone, so that players can hold guild events, participate in EM events, engage in PKing etc. at the same time when everybody else is online.

As others have posted, numbers attract numbers, so nowadays players with a high ping or from completely different time zones, not to mention countless "shoppers", moved to Atlantic (snowball effect).

Lastly, Atlantic was also one of the original shards, and its name is simply easier to remember than the word "chesapeake" or so, which the average 12 year old player signing up for UO in the past might have never heard of.

Last edited:

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
When I started, it was Pac. Then I moved to Atl just in time for the Great Trammel Landrush ... got telestormed bunches of times but finally had a small tower near the Hedge Maze.

I left because I was disgusted with AOS and decided to cool down some. Five years later I resided on LA and that's where I was up until my recent departure. Never regretted it ... LA has some really fine folks.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like to play with random strangers and to meet people out there in the field. I think I choose Atlantic without even knowing it was the "hub" but never felt any need to move. Lots of great and fun people from all over the world.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It probably only got so crowded because it was first on the server list, people are mostly lazy, they should have capped the population and funnelled people to other servers, but that would take too much logic and sense! :p

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Atl is full of good peeps. Gen chat is a cesspool, but help chat is full of normal mfers. Everytime I play, I help people. I know of a bunch of people that drop what they are doing to help. If you don't know anyone like that, maybe you're doing it wrong too.

Atl is the most populated shard. Always able to find someone doing something. Lower pop shards are good for farming stuff and you want to be left alone.
UO was a great community driven game. Some of it was forced and people got upset. Started driving wedges into the community with the tram rule set. I'd rather play on a populated server, with the negatives, than hole up on a "dead" server.

Also, pvp is fun. You can get that anytime on Atl too.

PageBoy

Journeyman

Because Atlantic is dying but all other shards are already dead

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One reason Atlantic is popular is the shard shields and timed vendor fees. Traders need to move items fasdt to make money, so it helps to sell (and buy) everything at one big hub. Ofc, the regular players also want to be where they can buy and sell the quickest.
But there are plenty of people who do not like Atlantic. I am reminded to be grateful for my smaller shard on every rare occasion I log in on Atlantic and glance at Gen Chat.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
there are good people on every shard including atl but I noticed most if not all of the scammers and so called jerks left for atl. I would like to thanks atl lol. good to sell or buy stuff and possibly to hunt with a good guild. you can get pvp there but so many cheat its not as much fun.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I joined that server to play with others, but like all servers, except during designated hours a few times a week... you'll still just be playing alone. So really what you're signing up for is more competition on space and spawns. Not that even the most populated server usually has a big problem with it.

HippoRedux

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best market to buy and sell hard to find and/or expensive goods. Also, there are a lot of cicvic minded characters that Host public hunts. One such is Captain Redbeard who has hosted at least three Corgul hunts the past two days - my semi-trained Mystic got 10 filled soulbinders and some gread legendaries just from healing the pets there.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya know how everything thrown into trash bins flows down to the Cavern of the Abyss?
Well the stuff from Cavern of the Abyss flows down from there to Atlantic shard!

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Six years ago we left LS for Atlantic. The only spots were 7 by 7's. Now you can place something decent. Wonder why. But it is still more like the old UO we knew than any other shard.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Ya know how everything thrown into trash bins flows down to the Cavern of the Abyss?
Well the stuff from Cavern of the Abyss flows down from there to Atlantic shard!
Is this true that thrown stuff goes to the cavern? Where exactly in the cavern does it go? Anywhere there? or in the water area? Just curious..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Goes to the Cavern of the Discarded... and not ALL trash goes there just a random percentage of it does. So kinda lies... but it's located near the lab where you do the mind game and get gears... place with the rats... clockwork scorpions and such...

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Goes to the Cavern of the Discarded... and not ALL trash goes there just a random percentage of it does. So kinda lies... but it's located near the lab where you do the mind game and get gears... place with the rats... clockwork scorpions and such...
ty for info..