• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The rarity and specificity of alternate graphic wearables

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm seeing a fair bit of discussion about the new craftable items with new graphics so I went to check them out for myself. For reference, here they are, straight from the patch notes:

• Mage’s Hood of Scholarly Insight – new mage’s hood equippable with the stats of the Scholarly Halo
    • 5 Yards of Cloth, 5 Leather, 1 Scholar’s Halo, 10 Void Core
  • Cowl of the Mace & Shield – new assassin’s cowl equippable with the stats of the Mace & Shield Glasses
    • 5 Yards of Cloth, 5 Leather, 1 Mace & Shield Reading Glasses, 10 Vile Tentacles
  • Elegant Collar of Fortune – new elegant collar equippable with the stats of Leurocian’s Mempo of Fortune
    • 5 Yards of Cloth, 5 Leather, 1 Leurocian’s Mempo of Fortune, 10 Fey Wings
  • Crimson Dagger/Sword/Mace Belt – 3 different weapon belt equippables with the stats of the Crimson Cincture *decorative, cannot store a weapon*
    • 4 Yards of Cloth, 5 Leather, Crimson Cincture, 10 Lodestone
I went to TC and took some screenshots. Here are (1) the undyed mage cowl, elegant collar, and dagger belt, followed by (2) the undyed assassin cowl and sword belt, then (3) the dyed mage cowl and undyed mace belt followed by (4) dyed mage cowl, elegant collar, and mace belt:

1. Screenshot (291).png
2. Screenshot (295).png
3. Screenshot (296).png

Sword belt and mace belt on avatar:

Screenshot (303).png Screenshot (304).png

THE GOOD:

Aesthetically, these are all pretty nice. Each of these items is craftable as a "blank" item. The cowls and collar are imbuable. All are dyable. The sword and mace belt show pretty nicely on your avatar, especially when walking.

THE BAD:

The weapons on the belts or the gold trim on the mage cowl dye with the items. The gold trim is okay, but the weapons just look wrong dyed.

NOTE:

I didn't test more clothing options beyond what my character usually wears, but so far so good. They should probably be checked more extensively with other clothing options and hairstyles.

THE CRITIQUE:

I like the way these look and I like that there are generic recipes for them. However, it is consistently aggravating that new clothing options for artifact items are being introduced with such specificity. Why shouldn't the new belt appearances be available for Tangle? Or Obi Di Ense? What does it hurt? Why can't the Pendant of the Magi or Lavaliere be sewn into a collar? Or the Crown of Tal'Keesh into the assassin shroud?

For my purposes, the generic items will be very nice for one-off RP characters or characters that don't see much combat, or maybe rebuild a couple of imbued items. Permanent/main characters though tend to need much more specific gear, and items like these give the appearance of greater customizability while actually being almost as limiting as the items they are substituting for.

The specificity isn't necessary. If it's the same slot and the same species, what does it matter how we make it look and why do we need to go to ridiculous lengths for that look? Rather than keep making complicated one-off replacements for specific items (I'm also looking at you, Blackthorn Dungeon), just let us change appearance of items. Make it a full skill. Make it hard to do, or need extra ingredients (that aren't absurdly time-consuming or expensive to get...). Make it... sigh... a store item if nothing else.

We already went through this with the whip. A lot of work was put in to make an item with extremely limited utility, and that is what is happening here as well, especially with the belts since they can't be imbued. It doesn't make sense. It is a frustrating strategy that is making increased customization an aggravation rather than a joy. This is a sandbox game. We should be able to move the sand around more in some areas, and this is one.

But they do look nice.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya the dye should not dye the weapon. But I will get it for a Crimmy. Agree that Tangle should be also redone. But it could be a pouch on a belt instead.

Collar looks better than the mempo most definitely!

A robe still covers the hats so if you wear a robe it only shows the hat in the paperdoll.

I like the glasses look better, but more choices = better.

I think the majority of players would like to transmogrify everything. The next item needs to be all robes. Start with being able to click the robe for hooded and non hooded. Also be able to turn a robe into an epaulet, and let that item show on the toon.

Great post! Thanks

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
We can customize our houses--including castles and keeps now with the contest conversions--but we can't customize most of our clothing appearance.

All you have to do to convert a castle is throw a bunch of gold at it. To change a very limited few items to a different appearance, we have to grind a limited time Halloween event for some recipes, then grind a bunch of ingredients, to attempt to convert a rare item at a very high crafting failure rate. It's frustrating and internally inconsistent.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well they should know better after the whole plant thing that we would REALLY prefer things NOT to have the "dipped in paint" look...

This is why I've always been against pet dyes... would look like hell to have my pet dipped in paint...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
When you see some of the clothing available on those 'other' shards it makes ours look a bit sad, plain and simple, before you even take into account the dipped-in-paint look, not to mention some of the new hair/facial hair we got was laughable at best. :(

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Yes, but that kind of makes my point. We can't freely choose an alternate appearance for our gear--we get one or maybe two or three options, if we are lucky. The restriction is arbitrary, unnecessary, and inconsistent with other aesthetic decisions and the very concept of a sandbox game.

What if the not-yet-existent Tangle alternative graphic is not fitting to your character (or downright terrible)? What if it never even happens?

I'm just tired of having to choose between stats and appearance. I can turn my house into a crystal Borg cube, but I can't tack some fabric onto a gorget to make it look nicer.

I like the new stuff, and that's actually the problem. I won't be able to use it without losing stats for many characters.

An alternative to transmog could be something akin to the costume totem in the store--build your clothing appearance on a mannequin and save it on a totem like a costume, and wear whatever appearance you like, gear unchanged. I imagine that would sell well, and would be a very nice option for RP purposes.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally I wish they would do what many other games do and just give us a separate paperdoll for "costumes" and allow us to wear whatever on that "public" paperdoll where you can put anything there and it won't affect your stats or anything if you wanted to wear some armor or just a shirt and shorts or run about naked or whatever... and others can only see what you have on THAT paperdoll... if you chose to use the "costume" override... but what you have on your normal paperdoll isn't seen visually by anyone... as the "costume" overrides it. They would probably sell a heck of a lot more asthetic clothing items like those robes and stuff if they did that.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Personally I wish they would do what many other games do and just give us a separate paperdoll for "costumes" and allow us to wear whatever on that "public" paperdoll where you can put anything there and it won't affect your stats or anything if you wanted to wear some armor or just a shirt and shorts or run about naked or whatever... and others can only see what you have on THAT paperdoll... if you chose to use the "costume" override... but what you have on your normal paperdoll isn't seen visually by anyone... as the "costume" overrides it. They would probably sell a heck of a lot more asthetic clothing items like those robes and stuff if they did that.
I'd love that. Wouldn't love the sudden influx of Britannian nudists, but it would be worth it.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
On the official forums, Kyronix asked what are your favorite 10 artifacts... View attachment 101637
You'd think they'd be able to, you know, run a query to see the top 10 artifacts characters actually had equipped...

"Interesting that very few weapons were listed" Maybe because artifact weapons are almost always worse than imbued weapons? Mystery solved boys!

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You'd think they'd be able to, you know, run a query to see the top 10 artifacts characters actually had equipped...

"Interesting that very few weapons were listed" Maybe because artifact weapons are almost worse than imbued weapons? Mystery solved boys!
Because artifact weapons stink... obviously they don't actually play the game or they would understand why they stink... most artifact weapons have one major flaw... No Mana Leech... that's for starters... no SSI is a big second... No one is going to use a weapon that takes 4 seconds to swing.... Period. I don't care how hard it hits.

People use stuff that fits their build... most want things like 100%LRC, all at the very least 70's with max LMC, and for dexers a bonus to Stamina and Swing Speeds... Healing speeds, mages want SDI and FC/FCR... without those things people have zero interest in most things... they will not sacrifice those basic things for any reason. The "trend" of late is to add as well as much extra skill points as one can.. with keeping HCI/DI and all...

I still say they just should focus on allowing us to have a "costume" paperdoll that is our public "look" .... this would negate all this BS with transforming things... but at the same time allow them to get more cash out of us by selling us things that are "exclusive" wearables like many other games do... More people would be inclined to buy things like those robes if they didn't take up a needed slot...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Why is he surprised that so many of the desired items would go in a 'free' slot, cloak, belt or footwear for example and be a bonus on top of your armour? I sometimes think they just have no clue...

North_LS

Journeyman
yeah, i agree with the specificity being too much. i dont want specific re-skins of certain items, i want the ability to alter the item type of all of my stuff. Capes are dumb looking, let me change them to quivers. closed helms are dumb looking, let me change them to a different head slot item. i'd rather have boots than sandals. hawkwinds robe is terribad, let me change it to epaullettes. all i want is the stuff i have now but with the look i want for my toon. nothing special or out of the ordinary or unbalancing.