• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

RL female, needs help please...

Anna

Visitor
I'm trying to buy my first power scrolls and I'm having trouble finding them. I was told I could find them at the vendors in Luna, but all of them seem to be at 2mil-5mil+. Is there a better spot I should be looking or does anyone have any to sell? I'm on the Atlantic server and looking for 120 animal lore, 120 musicianship, 120 peacemaking, 120 animal taming. I am willing to pay whatever is fair, thank you for your help.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Instead of looking in Luna, use the vendor search. It's going to give you a better snapshot of what's available and pricing. You can also ask in General chat if anyone has those scrolls for sale; you may get a better price than you would off vendors.

Anna

Visitor
I'm trying to buy my first power scrolls and I'm having trouble finding them. I was told I could find them at the vendors in Luna, but all of them seem to be at 2mil-5mil+. Is there a better spot I should be looking or does anyone have any to sell? I'm on the Atlantic server and looking for 120 animal lore, 120 musicianship, 120 peacemaking, 120 animal taming. I am willing to pay whatever is fair, thank you for your help.

The friend that told me to play UO suggested I point out that I'm a female in real life because he thought people would be more thrilled to help me. I'm sorry if anybody was offended by me doing so, that was not my intent. For those who posted a helpful response, I'm very appreciative. Thank you for taking the time to gather info for me. Now all I have to do is figure out how this vendor search thing works. :D

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The friend that told me to play UO suggested I point out that I'm a female in real life because he thought people would be more thrilled to help me. I'm sorry if anybody was offended by me doing so, that was not my intent. For those who posted a helpful response, I'm very appreciative. Thank you for taking the time to gather info for me. Now all I have to do is figure out how this vendor search thing works. :D
Single left click on your character while in a safe place like an inn. A list will show up. Choose "Vendor Search" and enter a search criterion. If you are on Atlantic, it will take a few seconds. Other shards will be almost instantaneous.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I don't think people got offended, Anna. Its a fact that there are some hardasses in here among us and we are, at times pretty crappy with one another. At least I can speak for myself. Sometimes bitter, ignorant comments come out of my pen also here, sadly. Then I regret it later.
But we are mostly meaning well, and go out of our way to help each other and new players, as you may see if you browse the forums. You will NOT find a forum more helpful about UO than this one.
You are most welcome to the game, and being female is also absolutely awesome!
Welcome to the game, and if you have any questions about the game please don't hesitate to post them.
By the way: You don't need high priced power scrolls to play the game. Start building the skills you want get them to 100. Its ok, will build up slowly. You will eventually get the 120 PS you need.
I assume you want to build a tamer/bard-peacer: They are very nice, and can go where no other character can go easily. You may want to think Discord also at some point. If you want to really really hit hard and fast, other option is Tamer (120 taming/120 lore and stone the vet for high level self healing pets), Bard (Disco or peace and music both 120 with rings/gear), and Spellweaving 120 (to drop 500-900 point BOMB damage on boss level creatures when they are down to 1/3 life), while your pet is tanking the boss, and with disco on board, you have pretty mean artillery there.
Sit down and theorycraft about the mobs you will go after, their resists and damages, and also craft the proper type of damage pet for these. Do you want fire damage pet? Energy damage pet? Poison pet, or physical etc. Also a new combination of skills for Trasure Hunter tamer, since the last treasure hunting changes etc.

All this make taming super exciting for new tamers and seasoned ones.
Some templates are hard to squeeze in in terms of skills, but if you compromise some things they can be done.

Also : The Tamer sub-forum in here is a star performer, and if you post any questions there you will almost always get very helpful responses.
Also would be glat to help in any way via personal message
:)

Anna

Visitor
Single left click on your character while in a safe place like an inn. A list will show up. Choose "Vendor Search" and enter a search criterion. If you are on Atlantic, it will take a few seconds. Other shards will be almost instantaneous.
Thank You!!!

Anna

Visitor
I don't think people got offended, Anna. Its a fact that there are some hardasses in here among us and we are, at times pretty crappy with one another. At least I can speak for myself. Sometimes bitter, ignorant comments come out of my pen also here, sadly. Then I regret it later.
But we are mostly meaning well, and go out of our way to help each other and new players, as you may see if you browse the forums. You will NOT find a forum more helpful about UO than this one.
You are most welcome to the game, and being female is also absolutely awesome!
Welcome to the game, and if you have any questions about the game please don't hesitate to post them.
By the way: You don't need high priced power scrolls to play the game. Start building the skills you want get them to 100. Its ok, will build up slowly. You will eventually get the 120 PS you need.
I assume you want to build a tamer/bard-peacer: They are very nice, and can go where no other character can go easily. You may want to think Discord also at some point. If you want to really really hit hard and fast, other option is Tamer (120 taming/120 lore and stone the vet for high level self healing pets), Bard (Disco or peace and music both 120 with rings/gear), and Spellweaving 120 (to drop 500-900 point BOMB damage on boss level creatures when they are down to 1/3 life), while your pet is tanking the boss, and with disco on board, you have pretty mean artillery there.
Sit down and theorycraft about the mobs you will go after, their resists and damages, and also craft the proper type of damage pet for these. Do you want fire damage pet? Energy damage pet? Poison pet, or physical etc. Also a new combination of skills for Trasure Hunter tamer, since the last treasure hunting changes etc.

All this make taming super exciting for new tamers and seasoned ones.
Some templates are hard to squeeze in in terms of skills, but if you compromise some things they can be done.

Also : The Tamer sub-forum in here is a star performer, and if you post any questions there you will almost always get very helpful responses.
Also would be glat to help in any way via personal message
:)

Wow, thank you for all of this. :rolleyes:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Welcome!

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I been playing a long time with a 8yr break, 2000-2019 (break was 2007-2015) And it took me a long time of game play to get all the PS I needed across several shards, be patient and they will fall into your lap, play the game max out the skills you are working on. I understand your home shard is Atl, am I right? The guild UWF is a good group of people that may be able to help you.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The friend that told me to play UO suggested I point out that I'm a female in real life because he thought people would be more thrilled to help me.
That is frequently true in male (especially teenage male) dominated games. It is also the reason that many resent the fact that some females try to get special treatment for not other reason than their gender.
Also, most females (or males pretending to be females) who try to take advantage of the white knights act a bit subtler than just announcing: "I am a female! Gimme stuff!" :D

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Also safe to say if you can get a hold of 115 Taming and Lore scrolls, you can still control and tame all the top end pets and will likely be a lot cheaper to get them.
You can worry about getting the 120s later down the line when you have cash flowing in.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm a real life woman trapped in a real life man's body who happens to like women.... what does that make me and can I get some scrolls cheaper??

Kidding aside @Anna many games are like that but here we really don't care if you are female or male. We will help you either way. Whichever scrolls you still need let me know I usually have a surplus. Catch me on a good day and you can have em for free.... no @Pawain you can't. :)

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm a real life woman trapped in a real life man's body who happens to like women.... what does that make me and can I get some scrolls cheaper??

Kidding aside @Anna many games are like that but here we really don't care if you are female or male. We will help you either way. Whichever scrolls you still need let me know I usually have a surplus. Catch me on a good day and you can have em for free.... no @Pawain you can't. :)
That makes you a typical Male.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If your list had been for 110 scrolls you would probably have had them all by now and wouldn't have to say you were female to get them. People on here are usually kind and helpful, no matter what your gender. If you just started you don't even need 120's just get 110's until you save up some cash. There are a lot more female gamers nowadays in UO I would say close to 50/50 of the people I know, also most guys know that most of the people who say they are female in real are actually men! Slap your friend, I think he did you a disservice!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
SO what kind of deal you got fer me :)

View attachment 100962
Jeez, now I need to bleach my eyes! Can't take back what I saw!

I'm a Grandma IRL but that's ok... I just don't announce it a lot. But your friend was right usually if they find out your really actually a female IRL they tend to give you stuff... which hey I'm ok with.

Anna

Visitor
That is frequently true in male (especially teenage male) dominated games. It is also the reason that many resent the fact that some females try to get special treatment for not other reason than their gender.
Also, most females (or males pretending to be females) who try to take advantage of the white knights act a bit subtler than just announcing: "I am a female! Gimme stuff!" :D

I never expect people to give me stuff, I always pay!

Anna

Visitor
If your list had been for 110 scrolls you would probably have had them all by now and wouldn't have to say you were female to get them. People on here are usually kind and helpful, no matter what your gender. If you just started you don't even need 120's just get 110's until you save up some cash. There are a lot more female gamers nowadays in UO I would say close to 50/50 of the people I know, also most guys know that most of the people who say they are female in real are actually men! Slap your friend, I think he did you a disservice!
Oh I told him! I was the one who said I thought it sounded stupid to say "RL female"...So, now that I embarrassed myself in front of everyone I'll go find my scrolls!

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Call me a Knight I guess, as I will rush to rescue a female character far faster then I would a male one, *laughs* when I see a female toon in game I do not assume its a female in real life, as I play a lot of female characters across several shards, but I put the blame on my grandmother and mother to always protect the ladies ♥.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jeez, now I need to bleach my eyes! Can't take back what I saw!

I'm a Grandma IRL but that's ok... I just don't announce it a lot. But your friend was right usually if they find out your really actually a female IRL they tend to give you stuff... which hey I'm ok with.
Hey now do you guys have any idea how hard it was to find a size 26 dress!

Anna

Visitor
Wow, thank you for all the responses. (Even the funny ones). I currently have my peacemaking and musicianship both at 100. My animal lore is 97.8. My animal taming is still low, but I use jewelry to bump it up to the mid 90's. I have some gold to work with, so if anybody is willing to meet me in-game to sell any of the power scrolls I'm looking for, I'd be more than happy to meet you. Thanks again for everything.

Anna

Visitor

Thanks for responding to my post, would you be willing to sell me some of the scrolls I need?

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for responding to my post, would you be willing to sell me some of the scrolls I need?
The prices you see on the vendors on Atlantic (using vendor search) are the market prices. So you can just get them there. As others have suggested, you might want to start with 110s or 115s as they are disproportionately more affordable compared to 120s.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah. Just send me a message with exactly what you need and ill check my inventory. I'm working now so will not be until 4-6est

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The prices you see on the vendors on Atlantic (using vendor search) are the market prices. So you can just get them there. As others have suggested, you might want to start with 110s or 115s as they are disproportionately more affordable compared to 120s.
If I see a new person actually play a few days in a row and work on skilling, I will help them train a pet and give them 110s for the pet and most 120s for toons if they do not have them. I am sure a lot of others would do the same for someone that seems to seriously want to play.

Last night I took a suit off my vendor and gave it and a Triton statue to a returner. Most of their pets were Cus that were 4 slots. I am saving Triton statues to give away later to players who do not have a bonded pet so they can start learning to train and have a pet that they can take out and kill stuff so they start having fun soon.

Never hurts to find other methods than the market.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I see a new person actually play a few days in a row and work on skilling, I will help them train a pet and give them 110s for the pet and most 120s for toons if they do not have them. I am sure a lot of others would do the same for someone that seems to seriously want to play.

This! Always disappointing to hook someone up with scrolls and items and they play for a week and are never seen again :)

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Dear original poster: We'd have helped regardless of what sex or gender identity you were, IRL or in-game. Your mentioning of what you were and posting a picture wasn't really necessary.

Dear people who are inclined to help female characters more: Maybe this is a little sexist but there's a lot worse ways to be sexist, and please remember the setting we're in. Personally my characters lean on the more-egalitarian side (a person in need is a person in need).

Dear people who are inclined to criticize the above: Well I guess I can't stop you from doing so, but remember that the motives of chivalrous behavior aren't always crass. Life may be messy, to be sure, but it isn't always necessarily like a mob movie (where all the good guys are hypocrites) either. Especially when we're talking about behavior of fictional characters in a fictional, fantastical, Medieval/Renaissance/early modern setting with magic and dragons and stuff.

-John's player

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This! Always disappointing to hook someone up with scrolls and items and they play for a week and are never seen again :)
Yes I hate that. I gave a 49 SDI and 3 48 SDI spells books away to toons that went poof after a short time. I wish I kept those now, could have some more pet scrolls.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Tone of this thread changed all of a sudden... strange...

Also, Google Image search is a powerful tool if you are using an image from "your" social media platform.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes I hate that. I gave a 49 SDI and 3 48 SDI spells books away to toons that went poof after a short time. I wish I kept those now, could have some more pet scrolls.
Gave away some Dread Warhorses... and the black horses... Wish I had those back. There are so many things I've given out over the years. I quit counting or stressing over it. I like helping new and returning players and sometimes even help the dreaded Xsharder...

But it's all good if they keep playing... Probably 1 in 10 keep playing long enough that it was well worth it. The others I sometimes get their stuff back if they tell me they are leaving... But I probably lose a good 1/3 of what I give away but that's ok... for the ones that stay it's worth it.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Last night I took a suit off my vendor and gave it and a Triton statue to a returner. Most of their pets were Cus that were 4 slots. I am saving Triton statues to give away later to players who do not have a bonded pet so they can start learning to train and have a pet that they can take out and kill stuff so they start having fun soon.
To this day I fail to see any advantages of a Triton, can someone enlighten me?

Healing is an overrated skill for any pet, yes it helps a little but I have never had a problem keeping a non-healing pet alive, have you?

The damage output is bollox against most mobs, 50% Phys and 50% Energy is below average to say the least.

You can't mount it, nuf said!

Can someone enlighten me?

As a T-hunter, I put together a spreadsheet of the average resists of mobs across all facets and the weakest fell in the area of Fire/Energy. Physical was the highest on all counts. This put Cu Sidhe at the top (I don't use them) with mares and fire steeds not far behind.
So, can someone tell me why Tritons are even considered?

More points do not mean a better pet... in my opinion.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Healing is an overrated skill for any pet, yes it helps a little but I have never had a problem keeping a non-healing pet alive, have you?

The damage output is bollox against most mobs, 50% Phys and 50% Energy is below average to say the least.

As a T-hunter, I put together a spreadsheet of the average resists of mobs across all facets and the weakest fell in the area of Fire/Energy. Physical was the highest on all counts. This put Cu Sidhe at the top (I don't use them) with mares and fire steeds not far behind.

I still use my beetles and lesser hiryu. They were going to be great pets until they nerfed them. Contrary to what some think.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Advantages for a novice tamer:

1. They bond instantly.
2. They have Stam and Dex at max at start.
3. They have high HP at start.
4. They have high resists at start. (train on most anything with ease)
5. They have healing.
a. Healing skill increases very quickly on them.
b. They can solo Navrey or Paragon Balrons with little healing needed from tamer. (when skilled)
c. Tamers without primer III can use them on Roof and other content.
6. They can get AI/Chiv. (Eodon pets can not)
7. They are difficult to mess up when building because they have many points.
8. Make great Roof pets for NOOBs.
9. Can have >120 wrestling so you save 200 points on scroll and cost of scroll.
10. Can tank Scalis with little healing from owner.
11. Great pet for groups.
12. Can be faster than other pets. 190 dex.
13. Have over 120 Magic resist. Saves on Scroll and is at max to start.

Advantages for advanced tamers.

1. Only blank slate pet than can get AI/Chiv. No wasted mana on junk. (PP WW also)
2. Enough points on some to get FWW or Feint with AI/Chiv.
a. We are bored making everything AI/Chiv
3. Can get 4 abilities if chosen in correct order. (see 2a.)
4. Have 2 damages. 50% Energy is a lot better than 100% physical.
5. Can get Discord and have nothing else.
6. Can get real Bushido and Ninja abilities if born in Tokuno. (see 2a.)
7. Can build with poison special and AI with a magic. (see 2a.)
8. Can build more variety specials than a Cu or a Hiryu. (see 2a.)
9. Great pet for Roof. 2 damages.
10. Like a Cu, energy damage is good on most high HP mobs.
11. Can get > 125 Wrestling which adds to melee damage and DCI.
12. Enough points to have all the bells and whistles and have 10 or more Stam regen.
13. Tamer can be using mana for other things besides running consume and healing pet.
14. Can find them with enough points to build a higher HP/Mana pet than any other AI/Chiv pet.
15. Can tank Captains and Exodus when used with more advanced tamer than I.

They are great pets for instanced fights or Tram spawns.

Very few disadvantages: Non Mount. High start cold resist. Cant get 4 resists to 80. Not a good bank sitting pet.

I took one on Friday with a group to the turtle spawn. It did great. I never had to heal it or get it out of a crowd.
As with all pets you have to spread out the Mobs so the pet is not surrounded. They mind well and are fast.

Believe it or not, others will argue with you on the resists and damages. Phy and Fire are the most common damage type a pet will see. I have no idea why someone would not set those to 80. I have posted every Mob that I can find that does cold damage. There is only one high damage Mob that does cold damage and is not all 20 damage. That is Scalis. We had a Net toss weekend a few weeks ago and I took many type pets. Every pet type needed me to heal it over and over until I brought my Triton. It was hands down the best pet to take there.

I also agree that many Mobs have Energy as one or their lowest resists. Also Cold is common to match Mobs.
But there are Cu haters out there.

I built Fire steeds and added no poison or cold resist to them. I use them on Mel and Medusa. If they get aggro, running consume or throwing heals will keep them alive. They take no damage if they do not have aggro. I have yet to see spell damage affect my pets with low poison or cold resist.
Note: I do not fight Semidar or the spider boss.

Basically a Triton is a Cu on steroids that you cant mount.

Last edited:

Anna

Visitor
Tone of this thread changed all of a sudden... strange...

Also, Google Image search is a powerful tool if you are using an image from "your" social media platform.
I am using an image from my social media page...is that a problem?