• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My observations from the castle contest on TC1

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. It's pretty obvious that some people have amazing ideas and designs
2. Seems pretty safe to say the machinery can handle the load. The servers is what I'm referring to.
3. Finally, actually seeing castles in Malas really makes you wonder why they are prohibited? There's plenty of room.
4. One vote per account kinda sucks. You can't even vote for your own and ONE MORE that you like.
5. Absolutely need to limit the # of plots you can place on TC1, during a contest, to ONE PER ACCOUNT. I seen at least one example where someone placed FIVE plots, designed one castle and left the other four empty. Can't tell the person doesn't have five accounts but i doubt it. There were a lot of players on the last couple days struggling to find space for a plot. I didn't say it was impossible to find a plot but all the empty plots is pretty LAME.
6. The contest is neat and fun and all, but just let us customize our own castles already. You want us to keep playing and paying for this game for another twenty years, give us something we've all been asking for for sixteen years.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
2. Seems pretty safe to say the machinery can handle the load. The servers is what I'm referring to.
3. Finally, actually seeing castles in Malas really makes you wonder why they are prohibited? There's plenty of room.....
6. The contest is neat and fun and all, but just let us customize our own castles already. You want us to keep playing and paying for this game for another twenty years, give us something we've all been asking for for sixteen years.
The servers cannot handle the load of the custom castles and then 7500 lockdowns then the other 500+ things that don't require lockdowns (deeds, mannequins etc)

Notice all the subservers around britannia mainland? Notice how none of the spots with major housing also have a city on that same subserver? Malas is one subserver it also has the whole luna mess of people and bamboo flooring.

Imagine subservers filled with 4 story custom castles, that have to download every tile because they are not predownloaded with bamboo floors where everything loads without you entering it. Want to know what a mess it would be? Go to Pacific trammel trinsic swamp and run by those mannequin castles. That's without bamboo flooring, but imagine every castle like that. Imagine trying to travel anywhere in the world and walking constantly by those.

Maybe if they made all the things that dont cost lockdowns to place actually cost lockdowns, it would be a step in the right direction.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's possible I'm overly optimistic about the server load. They are in control of it though and they could make it better.

The bamboo flooring is screwed up. Everything should count as lockdowns. It's been a few years since all the servers were upgraded. Time to spend some money on SSDs.

That mess in Trinsic swamp on Pac is ridiculous but that's one player with issues. They could/should do something about that too. There's no reason all that **** should load unless you step up onto the steps. Every mannequin and every item it's wearing should count as a lockdown too. I count 11 or 12 items per mannequin. He has around 5000 mannequins. That's 50,000 - 60,000 items not counted as lockdowns and they load upon approach. Seems like a perfect example of abuse that's not supposed to be allowed.

Last edited:

Ghost of Gramps

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3. Finally, actually seeing castles in Malas really makes you wonder why they are prohibited? There's plenty of room.
4. One vote per account kinda sucks. You can't even vote for your own and ONE MORE that you like.
5. Absolutely need to limit the # of plots you can place on TC1, during a contest, to ONE PER ACCOUNT. I seen at least one example where someone placed FIVE plots, designed one castle and left the other four empty. Can't tell the person doesn't have five accounts but i doubt it. There were a lot of players on the last couple days struggling to find space for a plot. I didn't say it was impossible to find a plot but all the empty plots is pretty LAME.
Well said.

Ghost of Gramps

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good
The servers cannot handle the load of the custom castles and then 7500 lockdowns then the other 500+ things that don't require lockdowns (deeds, mannequins etc)

Notice all the subservers around britannia mainland? Notice how none of the spots with major housing also have a city on that same subserver? Malas is one subserver it also has the whole luna mess of people and bamboo flooring.

Imagine subservers filled with 4 story custom castles, that have to download every tile because they are not predownloaded with bamboo floors where everything loads without you entering it. Want to know what a mess it would be? Go to Pacific trammel trinsic swamp and run by those mannequin castles. That's without bamboo flooring, but imagine every castle like that. Imagine trying to travel anywhere in the world and walking constantly by those.

Maybe if they made all the things that dont cost lockdowns to place actually cost lockdowns, it would be a step in the right direction.
Good point.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, the server can handle custom built EMPTY castles with no smaller houses filling in the gaps, no houses on Magincia or around Luna center, or most of Tokuno. That's a whole world away from handling custom built full castles plus all the other houses on the shards and their contents. They have said, repeatedly, that it can't be done.

Sometimes 'no' is the only possible answer.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Yes, the server can handle custom built EMPTY castles with no smaller houses filling in the gaps, no houses on Magincia or around Luna center, or most of Tokuno. That's a whole world away from handling custom built full castles plus all the other houses on the shards and their contents. They have said, repeatedly, that it can't be done.

Sometimes 'no' is the only possible answer.
So now I know why no 18x18 on Zento, maybe after the final vote is over I will be able to place a small house to check stuff and test stuff

HippoRedux

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can people who place castles or houses on TC please post PICs here of the new anni gifts, please? They are in deed form so i can't tell what they look like. Regards!

HippoRedux

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never mind - just saw that Khaelor posted all 4 rewards under the Forgotten Foes posting!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So now I know why no 18x18 on Zento, maybe after the final vote is over I will be able to place a small house to check stuff and test stuff
Actually I believe you can thank those people who deliberately blocked castle and keep spots with smaller, unbuilt sites during the first contest for that one. It's probably easier to simply turn off placing for anything but the contest sizes rather than try to filter for certain locations.

I can tell you that at the end of the last contest I was able to place a small house at Minoc moongate for testing the later parts of that publish.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Actually I believe you can thank those people who deliberately blocked castle and keep spots with smaller, unbuilt sites during the first contest for that one. It's probably easier to simply turn off placing for anything but the contest sizes rather than try to filter for certain locations.

I can tell you that at the end of the last contest I was able to place a small house at Minoc moongate for testing the later parts of that publish.
Thanks

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I figured that was what happened. Pretty sad.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But...but...but... the Borg cubes! Oh the horror! (c) Mesanna

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can people who place castles or houses on TC please post PICs here of the new anni gifts, please? They are in deed form so i can't tell what they look like. Regards!
upload_2019-8-20_19-11-13.png

These are the 4 choices from the 22nd anniversary token.

Copper Ship Relief
Copper Sunflower
Copper Portraits
Copper Wings

I have the ship relief set up permanently in the castle comp build (but the other items are lockdowns so can't keep them there or they disappear as I have submitted to the contest)

I also have the new aquariums there on display. Which you can go look at.

Pics of my castle entry for 106 are posted in the Castle Forum here if you wanna look or need directions to go view. It is called Tudor Gables.

Cheers

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Agree, but it won't happen. All this stuff about load and such is rubbish. This is 2019 not 1999. Gee on the smaller shards the 'load' is less than it was 15 years ago and hardware/software has improved a bloody LOT since then. Well in the rest of the tech world it has........

I really would like to build my current build Tudor Gables but doubt it will get up due to the structure of the competition. So yet another week or two of happy building until the next contest lol. And yeah it is a plug but I only have three votes lol. Mine mine and mine account 1,2 3. After that it is up to everyone else lol.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya'll are forgetting that TC1 is an active play shard for lots of people. Its why as soon as there's a wipe, there's also a rush to go place. People actually play there, no I'm not one of them. It's funny though when some pretend that they go there for testing purposes :p

HippoRedux

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
View attachment 101016

These are the 4 choices from the 22nd anniversary token.

Copper Ship Relief
Copper Sunflower
Copper Portraits
Copper Wings

I have the ship relief set up permanently in the castle comp build (but the other items are lockdowns so can't keep them there or they disappear as I have submitted to the contest)

I also have the new aquariums there on display. Which you can go look at.

Pics of my castle entry for 106 are posted in the Castle Forum here if you wanna look or need directions to go view. It is called Tudor Gables.

Cheers
Thank you!