• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Archer build...

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Was wondering would an archer build...120 archery 120 tactics 120 anatomy 120 healing 120 resist and 120 chiv build be good or should I add bushido into the mix? Thanks for the help

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The main reason to have bushido on an archer is because of honor to reach the damage modification cap (not to be confused with the damage increase cap wich is by and large reached by items, tactics/anatomy/lumber, and strength in the first place).

However, you don't need bushido to reach that second cap.

Method 1:
Chivalry spells (enemy of one and consecrate weapon) and a super slayer (bow or talisman) will take you to the cap.

Method 2:
Stacking two super slayers (bow and talisman) will take you to the cap.

Method 3:
Using a lesser slayer (bow or talisman) will take you to the cap.

Method 4:
Bushido (honor) and chivalry spells (enemy of one and consecrate weapon) will take you to the cap.

Method 5:
Bushido (honor) and a super slayer (bow or talisman) will take you to the cap.

As you can see, you need bushido for method 4 and 5. Depending on what your are fighting (lesser and super slayer vulnerability) and availability of equipment, methods 1-3 might suffice.

Last edited:

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I run Bushido on my archers for 1) when I don’t want to use EoO because of damage I’m taking from other creatures, 2) not everything is slayer vulnerable and 3) the health and mana that you gain back on death.

The last is probably the biggest factor at things like champ spawns.

I also run Swords with my archer and use EC macros to swap gear with the weapon. Added bonus to lower mana cost with having swords too.

toeleo

Visitor
Reading this stuff on damage and I’m trying to understand, hopefully someone can clarify, when I’m playing my sampire and I am honoring, enemy of one, consecrate, and using a Repond slayer for example, its overkill?

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
How I always think of it is that I need 2 out of three damage mods (honor, EoO, lesser slayer) plus Consecrate. I’m basically always running consecrate.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Damage increase is a very convoluted subject for how completely essential it is. Str, tactics, and anatomy are actually not included in your damage increase that is capped at 100%, they instead modify the base damage of the weapon you have equipped. The 100% cap DI comes from items almost exclusively, except for divine fury and the little bit they added to consecrate.

@toeleo that's only overkill once you've reached the 100% perfection damage bonus, assuming you have 100+ bushido. Running 50 bushido is a pretty popular way to save some skill points, but I believe your are limited to only 50% damage modifier bonus then.

You should keep consecrate up as much as possible, unless you are using 100% elemental weapons or are chaining AI's. Its main purpose is to help you apply damage to a target using its weakest resistance. It does provide a little additional item DI, but the overlap is very minor

toeleo

Visitor
How am I reaching that cap when perfection is at 100%, I see 100 from perfection, 100 from slayer, and 96 from consecrate/eoo. There is another thread that says you have 100% base damage mod, so do you only need 200% increase to reach the cap or 300%?

My brain hurts.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Yes, exactly! And no.

If you look at the wording of how slayers work, it says super slayers do "double" damage, while lesser slayers do "triple" damage.

So super slayer works as 2xDMG or 200%, lessers are 3xDMG. What your saying about super slayers giving 100% extra damage is correct, because you already deal 100% or 1xDMG by default, right?

What gets confusing is when people confuse this 100% (1xdmg) with the 100% damage bonus you get from your equipment. The above is considered "damage modifier" while the damage bonus you receive from equipment is what is actually referred to as "damage increase."

So 'damage increase' is capped at 100% from items and a cpl skills (divine fury, consencrate weapon, but not EoO) and "increases" the base damage of your weapon (and shows on char sheet). 'Damage modifier' can "modify" this amount by up to 300%.

toeleo

Visitor
So the only real reason to have bushido and chivalry, as far as damage is concerned, is so that one can reach the damage cap when there is not a Slayer available for whatever you are fighting essentially assuring that you are always damage cap no matter where you are. Am I understanding correctly?

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So the only real reason to have bushido and chivalry, as far as damage is concerned, is so that one can reach the damage cap when there is not a Slayer available for whatever you are fighting essentially assuring that you are always damage cap no matter where you are. Am I understanding correctly?
The reason you want Bushido on an archer is because you want the mana discount from having 200 or 300 combat skill points.
And yes you could replace Bushido with something else like ninja or poisoning etc etc.
If you want to try a fun archer build you could try my AMC build ( Archer, Macer, Chiv).
The build is mainly for doing spawns, kill lower level spawn with black staffs, then switch to archery.
Build goes something like this.

120 archery
120 mace
120 resist
100 chiv
100 tact
100 ana
100 heal

Innoxicated

Journeyman
While it's true bushido doesn't offer as much for ranged combat as melee, there are a few handy abilities you dont want to overlook:

Confidence is a very handy heal, especially on an archer variant that doesn't have room for healing. My whammy has both and I probably use confidence to heal more than my bandages, kiting things around and not getting hit means you can take full advantage of that initial bonus hp regen.

Lightning strike is a fairly good alternate to switch ti between AI's, and with high skill the critical hits add a reasonable bit of extra damage.

Momentum strike can make up for some of archery's lack of area attacks, especially if you only need to get in 1 or 2 hits.

Definitely not game changing but helpful nonetheless, I'm just saying, like parry, nominal skill isn't the only way to roll.

A melee archer has always seem like a fun temp that would keep your fingers busy, but do you prefer macing to swords for any significant reason, other than being easy to scroll? I'm all for deviating from the overwhelming majority, just curious lol!!

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Macing and archery was picked for their low cost. Resisting spells can be lowered to 100, and chiv can then be upped to 120. its a matter of preferences.
If you repleace chiv for ninja it becomes a decent pvp template.

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Macing and archery was picked for their low cost. Resisting spells can be lowered to 100, and chiv can then be upped to 120. its a matter of preferences.
If you repleace chiv for ninja it becomes a decent pvp template.
this is the exact template ive been thinking about doing... funny was just thinking of this very template today.. glad it works well

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I should also point out that you need at least 50 Bush for weapon specials on the Yumi. I use a Yumi most of the time on my archers because I find that double shot out performs armor ignore on most monsters.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I should also point out that you need at least 50 Bush for weapon specials on the Yumi. I use a Yumi most of the time on my archers because I find that double shot out performs armor ignore on most monsters.
or ninja... just saying...
in most cases i find the opposite...AI > double shot

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use the exact same template and it works well. I don't use bushido just spam Ai's for over 200 damage using a slayer bow with 50 mana leech. works soloing the piper and rikktor

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The reason you want Bushido on an archer is because you want the mana discount from having 200 or 300 combat skill points.
And yes you could replace Bushido with something else like ninja or poisoning etc etc.
If you want to try a fun archer build you could try my AMC build ( Archer, Macer, Chiv).
The build is mainly for doing spawns, kill lower level spawn with black staffs, then switch to archery.
Build goes something like this.

120 archery
120 mace
120 resist
100 chiv
100 tact
100 ana
100 heal
I really want to give this a go. I assume you are boosting with jewels since you look to have 760 skill points. What is real and what is boosted? Also, what do your stats look like for this?