• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Returning player looking into Treasure Hunting

toeleo

Visitor
I have recently returned to UO and am looking for something to do while I’m playing on my own. I have a tamer and a sampire but I would like to be able to get some nice pieces through PvE for upgrades and suits on these and other characters is Treasure Hunting a good source of legendary artifacts and such?

I’ve also been trying to decide whether to build a char to use mysticism for treasure hunting or stoning skills and raising on my tamer. What do you all think is the most viable option for a returning player still getting back into the swing of things?

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Treasure Maps – Ultima Online

I use a tamer myself, I did have a mage for it but when Pup 22 hit I change. Now the good news, no need to have mining to dig up the chests, GM cart on your char, a map, a shovel and you are good to go. Bad News, Maps are now random so location are everywhere, maps are across several facets now, maps are now broke down into groups, (mage, warrior, assassin, ranger etc..) And you have to have Remove trap before you can unlock the chest. Good News there only 5 level maps where there was 7, you can cast unlock on the levels 1-3, and you can have another use lockpicking skills on the chest (1-5) once you removed trap. Bad news the t hunter must use remove trap, cannot have your buddy do it for you, it's your map you remove trap :p

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have gotten many Legendary Artifacts from treasures chests over the last few weeks. Cache, Hoard, and Trove maps is what you should look at doing. I recently swapped out my mage template for Focus/Mysticism and it is pretty nice!

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You do not "need" Remove Trap to open chest, it can 0 in skill it will just spawn more guardians you have to fight and take more time. The digging bonus from mining has been moved to Cartography. If you are just starting out maps level 1-3 you do not need lockpicking if you can cast magic unlock on chest, 4-5 need lockpicking to open. The gold in lower level chest have been boosted. Plus level 3 chest have the same quality of gear as 4-5. So could run a toon with just cartography and do level three maps, which the drop rate from dark wisp in the wisp dungeon is not that bad for level 3 cache maps. The dig radius bonus from mining was moved to Cartography. The quality of chest chance at spawn (rusty, iron and gold) is based off of cartography.

toeleo

Visitor
Lots of good information, thanks everyone! From the sounds of it, both taming and mysticism are viable for level 3-5 maps? I am guessing you use rising colossus with Mysticism? I have never played with Mysticism which is part of the reason I was considering it, something new.

(Taler)

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lots of good information, thanks everyone! From the sounds of it, both taming and mysticism are viable for level 3-5 maps? I am guessing you use rising colossus with Mysticism? I have never played with Mysticism which is part of the reason I was considering it, something new.
Yea RC is basically key. The thing can wonder though so sometimes you have to lure things to it. Also it doesnt last as long as an EV or other mage summons so you have to get used to casting it more often (though you can precast it when the timer is coming up)

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, if using Rising Colossus have Mass Dispel ready to go in case you need a summon back at the chest site and he's wondered off too far. He beats up Ancient Wyrms and I hunt in Felucca exclusively (because of the 1000 luck increase) so as far as I'm concerned, I can solo Troves. It just takes a little longer.

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You just need to run up and in range to dispel the area he's in.

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use a Mystic casting an RC on all maps up to Hoard (haven't attempted a Trove map yet) and it couldn't be much easier. The maps are MUCH easier to do now in my opinion.

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Finally tried a Trove map with my Mystic casting RCs. It takes longer but still was relatively easy.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
You do not "need" Remove Trap to open chest, it can 0 in skill it will just spawn more guardians you have to fight and take more time. The digging bonus from mining has been moved to Cartography. If you are just starting out maps level 1-3 you do not need lockpicking if you can cast magic unlock on chest, 4-5 need lockpicking to open. The gold in lower level chest have been boosted. Plus level 3 chest have the same quality of gear as 4-5. So could run a toon with just cartography and do level three maps, which the drop rate from dark wisp in the wisp dungeon is not that bad for level 3 cache maps. The dig radius bonus from mining was moved to Cartography. The quality of chest chance at spawn (rusty, iron and gold) is based off of cartography.
Are these maps from the Dark Wisps random or always Ilsh maps? ty for info!

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have the RC already up about halfway through the dig and when the first half of the chest pops out of the ground, invis yourself immediately.......the critters will spawn with the next digging sound you hear.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Luck does improve loot in T maps. The luck check is conducted at the first dig, so I change suits while digging or run off after spawn and put on spawn suit to deal with them. I have done chest with less the 1100 luck and it does not seen that great. I either run 1100 or as close to max as I can get. I get more artifact quality loot running luck.

Chaim

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I'm just returning after a few years away. I loved treasure maps when I played last. From the looks of these changes I won't be disappointed. I do have a couple questions just to iron out some details.

1- can I get some more details on the need for remove trap?
a- can you still use telekinesis on 1-3 chests?
b- how high does remove trap need to be for trove?
c- do you need detect hidden for remove trap? the tool tip mentioned this
2- what are the best places to get the different levels of maps? i used to really only do miasma before
3- is there still a chance to trigger more spawn from looting the chest?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
  1. a. & b. You USE the remove trap skill, but don't actually need to HAVE it (not even for Trove) - just click the button to use it. However, it will take longer, and you will get far more damage pulses (each accompanied by an ancient guardian spawn that has no loot), the lower your RT skill is.
    c. No, Detect is no longer required for Remove Trap (tool tip never got fixed). However, it did play a major part in several Halloween events the last few years, in terms of finding hidden loot in the event dungeons. If you have it, it's good, but it doesn't actually need to be on the character with RT anymore.
  2. All the maps drop on the same monsters as before.
  3. Yes, though it appears to be a little lower than before. And, contrary to dev claims, it appears that the ability to trigger more spawn isn't completely gone. While you can;t pick up and drop stuff anymore (it falls at your feet now), stuff inside the money/gems pack does not act that way, and if you try and fail to remove an item due to your position relative to the chest (or something else being too close to the chest), monsters can spawn on the failed attempts.

Lastly, if you get a Davies Locker DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING IN IT until it has been in place a couple days or more. Apparently newly placed or claimed Lockers, on their first server maintenance, convert from the old map levels to the new one (rather than the lockers being converted before claiming). But, don't recognize maps already changed as being "new". So, any troves and hoards (the new 4-5) in the Locker that first maintenance get converted to Cache (level 3 - the old 4-5), and existing Caches get converted to Supply.

Chaim

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
  1. a. & b. You USE the remove trap skill, but don't actually need to HAVE it (not even for Trove) - just click the button to use it. However, it will take longer, and you will get far more damage pulses (each accompanied by an ancient guardian spawn that has no loot), the lower your RT skill is.
    c. No, Detect is no longer required for Remove Trap (tool tip never got fixed). However, it did play a major part in several Halloween events the last few years, in terms of finding hidden loot in the event dungeons. If you have it, it's good, but it doesn't actually need to be on the character with RT anymore.
  2. All the maps drop on the same monsters as before.
  3. Yes, though it appears to be a little lower than before. And, contrary to dev claims, it appears that the ability to trigger more spawn isn't completely gone. While you can;t pick up and drop stuff anymore (it falls at your feet now), stuff inside the money/gems pack does not act that way, and if you try and fail to remove an item due to your position relative to the chest (or something else being too close to the chest), monsters can spawn on the failed attempts.
Lastly, if you get a Davies Locker DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING IN IT until it has been in place a couple days or more. Apparently newly placed or claimed Lockers, on their first server maintenance, convert from the old map levels to the new one (rather than the lockers being converted before claiming). But, don't recognize maps already changed as being "new". So, any troves and hoards (the new 4-5) in the Locker that first maintenance get converted to Cache (level 3 - the old 4-5), and existing Caches get converted to Supply.

Thank you for clearing these things up. I don't have a Davie's Locker so that won't be an issue. As far as the maps dropped from monsters, I was mainly curious how the drop from 7 to 5 different levels of maps affected which monsters dropped which. From what I've read, Miasma now drops 5's instead of 6's. So it makes me wonder what drops 4's, what drops 3's etc.

I guess I will have to experiment with remove trap being at 0 to see if i think it's worth it to spend the points on. I've read points arguing both for and against it. It is good to know that it isn't absolutely required to have points in. I've always just done the RC/invis method and it's worked well. The only thing I had ever given up on was frost dragons. But it's been years since I played, will have to see how this goes lol.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The basic list:
Level 1 spawn: Pretty much the same
New Level 2 spawn: Old Level 2 & 3 combined
New Level 3 spawn: Old Level 4 & 5 combined
New Level 4 spawn: Old Level 6 spawn, plus some of the old level 7 spawn (Greater Dragons for Tram/Fel, Renegade Changelings for Ilshenar, etc.)
New Level 5 spawn: Old Level 7 spawn