• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anyone playing UO with satellite internet?

Just wondering if anyone here play or know someone playing with satellite internet.
My only 2 options will be slow DSL or satellite internet. I heard that satellite internet is not for gamers but I am not doing any pvp or playing COD or battlefield, just for UO.
Anyone here have any idea if works?

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I would advise DSL over Satellite. From what I have heard every action on satellite can take 4 seconds and up to happen, like moving something in your pack etc.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO is very playable over satellite connection 3g/4g and 5g soon (thanks the the chinese ;p)
But make sure u are in an area with good coverage to avoid packet loss.

You have to know that over satellite connection your ping is unstable (if you ping over CMD), but you wont notice a big difference while your playing if you picked a geographically UO server close to where your playing.

And no dont PVP :)

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would advise DSL over Satellite. From what I have heard every action on satellite can take 4 seconds and up to happen, like moving something in your pack etc.
Thats untrue, well thats the thing better test your coverage 1st and see if you have packet loss, if ur ping is jumping like crazy between lets say 70-220ping thats alright UNLESS! you get a message saying “request time out”. And thats what causes the 4secs delay that @The Doctor is talking about.

So better test before.

To do so, run cmd and type: ping europa.owo.com if its the server you want to play

Or type tracert europa.owo.com

Those are just examples.
Good luck not getting those “REQUEST TIME” (packet loss) messages

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thats untrue, well thats the thing better test your coverage 1st and see if you have packet loss, if ur ping is jumping like crazy between lets say 70-220ping thats alright UNLESS! you get a message saying “request time out”. And thats what causes the 4secs delay that @The Doctor is talking about.

So better test before.

To do so, run cmd and type: ping europa.owo.com if its the server you want to play

Those are just examples.
Good luck not getting those “REQUEST TIME” (packet loss) messages
I'd say you are talking about using your phone as an internet source, not satellite, but satellite internet could be WAYYY better where you are than here in the states.

Satellite internet will have ~ 750-800 ping, which makes uo absolutely unplayable. Go with the DSL route over satellite 100%

You can also check into using a cell phone as a hotspot. If you are in the states T-mobile just added a ton of low frequency long range bandwidth that gives new coverage to rural and BFE areas., you would just have to make sure that you get a cell phone that can pick up band 71, and check to make sure it's available in your area.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You might want to check if they have a usage level before deciding. DSL should be a fixed rate so you are not limited to the amount of data you have where Satellite could run you a small fortune if you go over your data allowed

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Tyrath switched to satellite a while back. Needless to say it was incompatible with uo. he tried it for a bit but with the lag and packet loss he couldn't even decorate his house. in doing research to see if i could help him in anyway i found this to be the norm and read page after page of peoples horror stories over satellite internet. I'll let him tell it in his own colorful vernacular though.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
@Tyrath switched to satellite a while back. Needless to say it was incompatible with uo. he tried it for a bit but with the lag and packet loss he couldn't even decorate his house. in doing research to see if i could help him in anyway i found this to be the norm and read page after page of peoples horror stories over satellite internet. I'll let him tell it in his own colorful vernacular though.
Must be why I have not seen his posts in awhile. I hope all is well with him

Thanks for the reply.
I live far away of humanity and technology and the only 2 options i have is satellite internet with unlimeted data and up to 150mb or the crap centurylink with only 1mb dsl available. I went to my neighboor and check his CL net and he said on the good days he clocked 0.7 download and .25 upload, so that is already not a good sign.
So i was imagining if I get the sat with 150mb down and maybe a 5mb up it will be way better.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It was totally unplayable. You are not going to see 5MB UL speeds. I did everything they suggested and even had the sat. position in relation to the dish checked twice and was perfectly lined up. The Average UL speed was .27 MBS a good day was .82 MBS and a REALLY GOOD day was 1.2 MBS. Download speeds were GREAT I still have the sat internet as it is great for streaming video and watching movies. Where the problem with the UL speeds comes into play is say you want to retrieve a soul stone...... You click stone and 15 seconds later the retrieve gum comes up. You then click retrieve 30 seconds later the stone enters your pack. Or try riding a mount at a walk, not a run just a walk. Once you get in motion you will pause about ever 3-4 tiles for 5-10 seconds and then resume walking. If it is cloudy, storming within 20 miles of you, or for no reason at all you simply lose service for a hour and for as long as the conditions last. MANY web pages just won't load, they simply time out waiting on your handshakes. For Email, FB and video watching Sat is great. For any kind of interactive thing like games IT JUST SUCKS.

I went back to Verizon and the 4G Jet pack a few weeks ago. Using the prepaid version (NOT THE UNLIMITED because after 15 gigs you learn it is not unlimited) I got the 30Gig Package and can add more Data if needed in 5-10-20-30 gig blocks. If you have a Verizon high speed tower near you and can get close to full signal that is the way to go. At least that is the way to go if you want to play any kind of online games....... It is not cheapest way to go, but the pre paid verizon is not horrible on the wallet.

I live about 70 miles North of the middle of nowhere on a farm at the end of a dead end road. Out here there are two options for internet Sat. or Verizon Wireless. Closest Hard Line DSL I could tap into is 2 miles up the gravel road and it would cost me $42,700 to run it down to the farm. After spending $38,000 on the Rural Water line and meter base and $18,000 on the electric lines and three electric services (Personal, Farm and Corp.) I have spent all the money I am going to spend of running utilities down the road. $42,700 will buy a whole lot of verizon prepaid service. Crap internet service options is about the only drawback I have living so far from civilization. Now I gotta put some underwear on and go get the mail......... It creeps the mailman out when I go out to the mail box in only my boots :)

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Have you checked to see if there is a fixed wireless provider in your area? When I moved out here in BFE I used the phone hotspot for a year before I learned I had that option. I had never even heard of it.
It's not great but doesn't have the latency of satellite nor the cap I had with cell data. It requires a dish like satellite.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I feel your pain!

I'm on a slow dsl connection with no options of cell data available here! I moved here and went from $49 100up/100down FiOS to $79 0.5up/2down DSL connection! Ugh!

The big thing that kills me is that 1.1 miles down the road to the highway there's a gigabit fiber line running up the highway that they have no plans tapping into for my road!

I feel your pain!

I'm on a slow dsl connection with no options of cell data available here! I moved here and went from $49 100up/100down FiOS to $79 0.5up/2down DSL connection! Ugh!

The big thing that kills me is that 1.1 miles down the road to the highway there's a gigabit fiber line running up the highway that they have no plans tapping into for my road!

Hahah, dame exactly problem here.
Only DSL available in the area, from the crap centurylink , only available speed is 1mb. And other choice would be satellite internet. Same thing here, a mile away they have fiber but a tec told me would cost the company around $100k , so we are not worthy. Haha

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have cable internet on my street but the problem is they want to charge me 10k to install because my driveway is about a 1/4 mile long.
We have DSL but its to slow so i play with a cell phone modem from verizon.
It has a 4g cap at 15gigs a month but i never exceed it from just playing UO. Works better than i thought it would.

I have cable internet on my street but the problem is they want to charge me 10k to install because my driveway is about a 1/4 mile long.
We have DSL but its to slow so i play with a cell phone modem from verizon.
It has a 4g cap at 15gigs a month but i never exceed it from just playing UO. Works better than i thought it would.
I wish I had your problem, i would ask them to install the modem by the entrance of your driveway, by the mailbox or whatver and than i would run my own RJ45 cable to the house.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Remember that by definition, Satellite is the longest possible route to anything, which really only makes it suitable for things that are download-centric, like streaming.

I don't think that a cheap "satellite cloud" internet system exists yet (many satellites in low orbits), and even if it did, you'd be risking disconnects about every 15-30 minutes as each satellite connected to passed over the horizon and had to switch your signal to a different one. The beginnings of them exist, they just aren't cheap (mostly geared to military and commercial), aren't all that fast compared to wired products.

Which leaves you with geostationary satellites, which at their altitude means 150-200ms lag going up, 150-200ms lag coming back down, THEN lag from the ground station to where the game's host is located (remember that "cloud" = "Somebody else's computer, stuck god knows where") and BACK. So, 400-500ms lag at best (and probably closer to 600-1000), and that is worse than dial-up (I got less lag than that connecting to Europa from the US for a gift trade, and even connecting from KY to a west coast shard averaged around 200ms).

Frankly, except for patching/installing, slow DSL should be fine for non-combat and most PVM/PVE. If you aren't going to PVP, then the high speed isn't as big a deal.

UO's data stream is still so small, there are people overseas still using dialup, last I heard (people talking about some of their guildmates at the 20th anniversary meeting). Even .25up DSL is STILL 5-10x faster than dialup, and as long as you're not pinging over 100 you'll be fine (more than 100 each way and you're running 1 "tick" slow)

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
SpaceX is putting up a low-orbit constellation of thousands of small communications satellites that will provide world-wide high speed internet.

They've already sent up, last I read, a few rockets that deployed like 60 satellites to begin testing. They are supposed to be so low-orbit that they'll actually only have a three to five year life span and fall back into earth's atmosphere and burn up. They'll consistently be replacing them with newer fresh technology and upgrades due to this. The benefit is that latency is extremely reduced compared to existing satellite internet options.

Should be quite revolutionary if successful. Nowhere on earth would be without high speed internet access.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i worked out of a remote station in Northern Canada that they changed from DSL to Satellite for the internet and UO was unplayable.
thankfully so was doing work - so they ended up switching back.
a 5mg down / 1 mg up DSL is 1000 times better that satellite, no question.

dingomate

Seasoned Veteran
Hughs net is utter garbage. We had a 200mb daily limit and if you exceed that it automatically penalizes you with a significant reduction in speed. This was my experience years ago with satellite. Laggy game play and when you hit the 200mb threshold you're logging off. Expensive too. These days I hear it's alright if you want to cough up like 5 grand + for a high speed satellite line.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hughs net is utter garbage. We had a 200mb daily limit and if you exceed that it automatically penalizes you with a significant reduction in speed. This was my experience years ago with satellite. Laggy game play and when you hit the 200mb threshold you're logging off. Expensive too. These days I hear it's alright if you want to cough up like 5 grand + for a high speed satellite line.
I kept the Hughes as the DL is actually very good for streaming and downloading. Totally worthless though for any kind of games online due the packet loss and slow UL speeds. No real Data caps on ours at least none that I hit. Cough and I binge watched all of GOT seasons 1-8 and all of West World over the course of two weeks. Hughes has its place and use gaming just is not that place or one of those uses. I can save my 30 gigs of 4G wireless for important things like gaming and use hughes for the big data usage things like streaming. Still can't get around a cloud drifting between the dish and the satelite disrupts the service though....

Really not that expensive either like $60 per month for basically unlimited data.

Where it does suck even for streaming is when the wife fires up her computer and that divides the bandwidth in 2 and if the office computer is working that divides it by 3 making it VERY SLOW on the DL side.

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
downloads are excellent uploads suck big time. Sadly we got it and was totally unplayable for gaming. (They lied to us)

Naxatilor Feluka

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have lived places in the past where the internet options were absolutely rotten. I ended up maxing out the data package on my phone and using it as a wifi hotspot and got the best results possible [something like a consistent 20 ping to atlantic with zero packetloss]

Superflea

Seasoned Veteran
Supporter
Try "Fixed Wireless Interner" provided by att. Thats what I use in my rural area and its been mostly great.