• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Post your favorite Thunter Template...

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I got GM mystic and focus now. After reading your posts it makes complete sense to substitute focus out for imbue, I have 120 meditation anyways.

Mixed feelings about mysticism. RC is strong, but doesn't last long, and since it takes 5 slots I can't take a pack beetle with me.

I miss having hiding/stealth a bit, sometimes I get revealed without it and that never happened before.

Just solo'd a malas trove map. It was pretty easy, probably could have just done it with EV's.
I'd suggest bringing Mystic to 110 and then equipping the mystic spellbook w/ +10 mystic. RC doesn't last a long time but has much more HP than EV's do so you can actually just stay hidden while the RC is clearing the spawn. Cast mass sleep and then cast another RC. Rinse and repeat. As for the beetle thing; I've found that you can run pretty light on a T-Hunter in general (no pots / trapped boxes / tons of spellbooks) so I'm actually able to loot all gold in a chest, use a bag of sending, and then loot all the items and recall away. It's probably not as fast as a tamer would be but it def makes a map solo'ble given time.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I'd suggest bringing Mystic to 110 and then equipping the mystic spellbook w/ +10 mystic. RC doesn't last a long time but has much more HP than EV's do so you can actually just stay hidden while the RC is clearing the spawn. Cast mass sleep and then cast another RC. Rinse and repeat. As for the beetle thing; I've found that you can run pretty light on a T-Hunter in general (no pots / trapped boxes / tons of spellbooks) so I'm actually able to loot all gold in a chest, use a bag of sending, and then loot all the items and recall away. It's probably not as fast as a tamer would be but it def makes a map solo'ble given time.
I have mystic at 110 already. For stash and supply maps I've been using 2 EV's, for cache and higher I've been using RC, they are a lot stronger than EV's. With cache and higher the loot is more than I can carry so I've been using bag of sending as well. It's working pretty well.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive been a bard Thunter for years but not any more. Decided to swap to taming this week.
Im sad to admit that Bards really doesnt work well on a cramped template like Thunters. And in combination with quite mana strong solo mobs(renegade changlings, alosaurus, frosdrag, WW) with nothing to provo makes it extreamly time consuming.

So from now on i run.
120 Magery
115 Taming
115 Lore
70 vet
100 Carto
100 lockpick
100 Remove trap.

Works increadibly much better. all maps except Eodon is easy.

bourne

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I am seriously disappointed with how my Myst/SW t-hunter is handling the new system.

I used to be able to handle all chests with no problems. The problem now is the disarm process and an RC with ADD wandering halfway across the screen while I’m getting melted by a guardian Ancient Wyrm.

Only way I’ve been able to handle it is with a tamer on a second account. I’m hoping it goes back to normal as my remove trap gets higher...
You are doing it wrong: Mystic/SW is the BEST combo as Basara gave some sweet ideas in another post.
First, as soon, or even before chest fully spawns : Use SW mastery and plant a "tree" relatively close to the Chest. When the guardians spawn they will attack and get engaged with the tree. Meanwhile MOVE fast away, recoup, and get ready to use your mystic skills to cast an RC on to the high-end guardians, keep them busy and keep at it. Till they are all dead. Then use the RT move fast away again, thenget ready for casting another RC to whatever pops out of the process, and heal the flash fire damage. Rinse and repeat. Taming is not really the best. Try this tree thing, will save you..
This for the upper 3 types of chests, including cashe.
But for the 2 lower ones with much tougher spawn, tamer with 5 slot pets proper for the encounter, will be a lot faster, I agree.

Last edited:

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Gb8719 - If you were able to handle all the chest before with no problem then I'm not sure what changed as none of the spawn changed. Hoard maps (formerly ingenious) spawned ancient wyrms before and still do today. If you had to kill them before then it shouldn't be an issue now. Petra Fyde actually posted a pretty good video of using Mystic/SW (Cast Reaper while removing trap). Check it out.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure what your defenition of "BEST" is but all i can say is my tamer handles the maps way faster then my SW/Mystic, Bard or necromage did.
In my experience the tamer is the most effective build at the moment for running hoard/trove.

I exclude Eodon though since its just a waste of time if you spawn 2 Allosaurus...

SteedaFLA

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Ive been a bard Thunter for years but not any more. Decided to swap to taming this week.
Im sad to admit that Bards really doesnt work well on a cramped template like Thunters. And in combination with quite mana strong solo mobs(renegade changlings, alosaurus, frosdrag, WW) with nothing to provo makes it extreamly time consuming.

So from now on i run.
120 Magery
115 Taming
115 Lore
70 vet
100 Carto
100 lockpick
100 Remove trap.

Works increadibly much better. all maps except Eodon is easy.
I agree with you. As much as I love my bard t-hunter, I am going to switch too. The bard is too ineffective with the fails and additional casted spawn from the guardians (with red names) on the hoard and trove level maps.

I'll figure out something else to do with the barding skills that I've trained.

bourne

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Not sure what your defenition of "BEST" is but all i can say is my tamer handles the maps way faster then my SW/Mystic, Bard or necromage did.
In my experience the tamer is the most effective build at the moment for running hoard/trove.

I exclude Eodon though since its just a waste of time if you spawn 2 Allosaurus...
I agree you need a team or tamer for the last 2 levels..

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Gb8719 - If you were able to handle all the chest before with no problem then I'm not sure what changed as none of the spawn changed. Hoard maps (formerly ingenious) spawned ancient wyrms before and still do today. If you had to kill them before then it shouldn't be an issue now. Petra Fyde actually posted a pretty good video of using Mystic/SW (Cast Reaper while removing trap). Check it out.
I've actually refined my tactics a bit since I did that map on Test center. I still cast the reaper while removing the trap, but now I also move a little away, cast gift of renewal and pre-cast invis. I drop the invis on myself when a guardian spawns, much the same as I pre-cast and drop it when digging the map in the first place. I can make a further video if anyone would find it helpful.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've actually refined my tactics a bit since I did that map on Test center. I still cast the reaper while removing the trap, but now I also move a little away, cast gift of renewal and pre-cast invis. I drop the invis on myself when a guardian spawns, much the same as I pre-cast and drop it when digging the map in the first place. I can make a further video if anyone would find it helpful.
I’d find it helpful, if you have the time to make one.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Murphy's law dictated that my first two attempts using Trove maps gave no spawn from use of Remove trap, so I dropped down a level and used a Hoard map. I hope that is still helpful.
@Petra Fyde - Thanks for the helpful videos. Just some advice that you can save your legs (from running after the grubber) if you go into combat mode and keep attacking the grubber; it will stay on the screen if keep aggro'ing it.

I've done a bunch of hoard maps in Malas and I find that RC works pretty well (no need for reaper); especially for the ancient guardians because RC + Mass Sleep allows me to get through usually 2-3 guardians (depending which spawn) and the RC has tons of HP to be able to absorb all the explosions from the chest. Other than that my strategy is the same as Petra's.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the helpful videos. Just some advice that you can save your legs (from running after the grubber) if you go into combat mode and keep attacking the grubber; it will stay on the screen if keep aggro'ing it.

I've done a bunch of hoard maps in Malas and I find that RC works pretty well (no need for reaper); especially for the ancient guardians because RC + Mass Sleep allows me to get through usually 2-3 guardians (depending which spawn) and the RC has tons of HP to be able to absorb all the explosions from the chest. Other than that my strategy is the same as Petra's.
Thanks, I'll try that with the grubber, they annoy me. Your RCs must be better behaved than mine. I use a reaper because my RCs tended to wander off :D

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How do you deal with hoard chests that spawn greater dragons? They dispel my RC almost instantly. I think I’m missing a piece of the puzzle (I’ve only been back in UO about a month)

Meat Elemental

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How do you deal with hoard chests that spawn greater dragons? They dispel my RC almost instantly. I think I’m missing a piece of the puzzle (I’ve only been back in UO about a month)
Even with my Bard with discord they dispel my rc fast... Switched to a tamer for my thunting and so much easier

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you run a Myst Primer III it makes it harder for them to be dispelled. You can also pre cast an RC before one is dispelled. It takes some time for mine to be dispelled, I used to have the instantly dispelled problem back to back. 120 Myst 120 focus or 120 imbue also helps but the primer III is way better than just that. Primer III mastery on spellweaving has the same effect as well.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you run a Myst Primer III it makes it harder for them to be dispelled. You can also pre cast an RC before one is dispelled. It takes some time for mine to be dispelled, I used to have the instantly dispelled problem back to back. 120 Myst 120 focus or 120 imbue also helps but the primer III is way better than just that. Primer III mastery on spellweaving has the same effect as well.
Agreed. The mystic primer is considerably cheaper since the buffs aren't as great (in my opinion). I find that RC + Mass Sleep works pretty good.

@Petra Fyde - My RC's do start to wander if I don't time it right. Typically I will start to remove the trap, pre-cast RC, wait until about 3 seconds and cast. The ancient guardian spawns like 2 seconds later and the RC targets. If it's anything under hoard I'll just start removing trap right away and typically the RC will be finished with the previous guardian by then and focus on the new spawn. If it's a hoard chest, I wait until the guardian is almost redlined and start removing again... typically the guardian will be dead by the time I fail to remove trap.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
We've officially got one less bard t-hunter in the game. I switched to mystic and am having a considerably easier time. I run mystic on a few different characters, so I have a good idea on how to keep the RC in line. Ive got 'z' mapped to cast RC, alt+z is EV and shift+z is mass dispell. Mass sleep and mass dispell are very handy.

However familiar I am with the spells, it's still new territory, and I find myself benefiting greatly from all of the advice. Thanks everyone for sharing a trick or two they've picked up! I've got an extra 100 points so I'm going to try and put SW on next.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Welcome to the ex-bard treasure hunter club. Switching to Myst/SW was a huge uplift. With a bard, I could provo the worst beasts most of the time, and then I'd run out of mana casting EVs. I don't have that problem anymore. I've dropped SW for now to pick up RT, but considering dropping Med instead and pick SW back up. I'm finding RT isn't as needed as I thought; when I'm removing the trap, I keep an RC up and pre-cast invis. WHen I get damaged, I invis first and then heal, and the RC then targets the beast.

T-hunter 2 is a tamer and have a nice beetle. He does t-maps with ease.

I'm thinking of making some sort of melee t-hunter just for the challenge.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Haha the club is really growing fast! As much as I am enjoying the tmap revamp, the bard nerf hurts my heart a little. T-hunting was one place a bard did really well, even if it was perhaps in fabulously over-powered fashion. I just hate to see what was once, long ago, one of the most powerful solo templates watered down to exclusively a 2nd account-afkish-pocket bard support role.

The melee t-hunter does seem like a cool idea, and I believe a few people are having a lot of luck and a lot of fun with that!

I havent had med on my t-hunter temp in a long time, as I only really used mana running the provo mastery with the HP. Having no need to mana dump with the RC cleaning house and fairly long periods of time between encounters from map to map I think you will do very well with just MR on suit.

@Basara and @Petra Fyde suggesting SW to tank the initial spawn, plus the added utility of gift of life and renewal, seems like a great fit. The reaper taking up 5 slots is also fine, since all of us mystics are dismounted due to RC anyway! Arcane empowerment also seems like a helpful addition to make your RC more resistant to dispells.

Has anyone used mana shield (I'm not sure how its mechanics work) to any appreciable effect against RT damage?

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I recently ran and observed a Trove map with someone in my guild who destroyed the map as an Archer. He runs a Peacemaking Archer with a full set of slayer bows and picks the spawn off one by one.

I’ve never seen that build done before but I was very impressed.

It could be a good option if you’re looking for a melee hunter build.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Archer peacemaking sounds really terrible to be honest. I see no reason to have peacemaking.
100 Carto
100 LP
100 RT
120 Archery
120 Music
120 Peace
=
660 points

And that leaves only 60 points for tactics. No anatomy, no chiv, no form of healing, no way to get around and probably low dmg.
Sure you can make up for some points with skill increase items and I guess you could drop RT to free up another 100 points but still feels lackluster.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Archer peacemaking sounds really terrible to be honest. I see no reason to have peacemaking.

This. Even a peace archer (without t-hunting) isn't that great. In the past, you could area peace and keep on shooting, giving you a few shots until the mob re-targets you. This was very useful in small areas. However, now you have to re-attack the mob, meaning it will immediately aggro.

Of course, you can target peace, but that requires 120/120 music/peace for the higher mobs. I'd rather invest the skill points into mysticism/focus as you can mass sleep mobs with the same effect as area peace while you get a nice tank let alone a few high damage spells that work with slayers and SDI.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
100 Carto
100 LP
100 RT
120 Archery
120 Music
120 Peace
=
660 points

And that leaves only 60 points for tactics. No anatomy, no chiv, no form of healing, no way to get around and probably low dmg.
Sure you can make up for some points with skill increase items and I guess you could drop RT to free up another 100 points but still feels lackluster.
I agree that it sounds like it would suck in practice, but you're assuming that the person is using no jewelry and no slayers.

I have several characters in the 800-840 skill point range - some people put boosting skill over leet characters that look like they were made with the same cookie cutter.

With that template as laid out, they easily could have 100-150 points from equipment (jewelry, plus talisman, arm slot, head slot, and possibly others). Enough for GM Tactics and a small amount of chivalry. They could be relying on HP leech and close wounds as healing as well.

In that case, what would suffer is their luck and other buffs - but it is a bit more functional than you'd think, especially if using a selection of slayer bows.

You got to let people experiment, and make their own decisions. One of my former guildmate's favorite characters to play had a bizarre template - but he considered it more fun than all the others.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I'm all in favor of experimenting with unusual templates. I have a couple that are difficult for me to play because I intentionally omit certain skills (like Magery) so I play "outside the box."

T-hunting has to be tuned, though. Maybe something like

100 LP
100 Cart
100 RT
120 Sword
100 Tact
110 Anat
90 Chiv

I'd miss the ability to mark runes, though.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well i totaly get that and even thought i made that clear :p
My mainpoint however was that i dont feel like peacemaking is brining anything to the table for those 240 skill points.

I however agree with you!

Innoxicated

Journeyman
I was thinking put the 100 lockpick on a soulstone and switch cart/LP when you need. Even 60 tactics would be enough for AI on a good ol lesser slayer composite, or that with some chiv wiggled in there the damage would be sufficient.

It is spread thin, and I agree not the most efficient. However, I'm not sure that any dexer t-hunter has claims of optimal efficiency. Seems like most who have a dexer for t-mapping also have another temp they use, and the dexer is just for fun.

I'd be tempted to use discord or Provo for upping the dmg or providing a little easier crowd control, but peacemaking does solve the problem of one ancient guardian spawning at a time. Personally I dont know if I'd keep it, but I'd give it a whirl! Or maybe just watch, lol

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm all in favor of experimenting with unusual templates. I have a couple that are difficult for me to play because I intentionally omit certain skills (like Magery) so I play "outside the box."

T-hunting has to be tuned, though. Maybe something like

100 LP
100 Cart
100 RT
120 Sword
100 Tact
110 Anat
90 Chiv

I'd miss the ability to mark runes, though.
Throw on some cheap +15-+20 magery jewelry and mark a rune a couple screens over with a scroll or wherever you need to mark a rune! I used that with my archer T-hunter and it worked well. Just use Sacred Journey right before the spawn hits and you're safe.

Effort

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I've been doing

120 Wrestling
120 Mystic
120 Focus (+20 crystalline ring)
100 Cartography
100 Lockpicking
100 Remove Trap
100 Magery (+20 crystalline ring)

Dizzy's dexor one looks awesome

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Throw on some cheap +15-+20 magery jewelry and mark a rune a couple screens over with a scroll or wherever you need to mark a rune! I used that with my archer T-hunter and it worked well. Just use Sacred Journey right before the spawn hits and you're safe.
How does that work? "Mark" requires 52 minimum Magery.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Spells cast from scrolls cast as if two circles lower. This means that you should be able to cast this spell with a min of 24.1.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Spells cast from scrolls cast as if two circles lower. This means that you should be able to cast this spell with a min of 24.1.
Which was the reason my melee T-hunter used to carry telekinesis scrolls (which would cast at 1st level spell difficulty). It's also why my 100 magery Tamer carries Resurrection scrolls when doing party hunts (roof, Doom gauntlet, etc.) so that I get 100% (or close to it) success casting it.

A human has about a 26% chance of casting a circle 3 spell from a magery book, or using a 5th circle spell scroll.

6th circle scrolls slightly higher magery than what is given by JOAT, but can easily be attained using a couple of +15 or +20 jewels instead (swap in/out as needed to mark), with or without adding a +magery spellbook to the mix for higher success chance.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
OK, so now my Treasure Hunter #3 is a melee treasure hunter. Current skills are -

upload_2019-7-19_6-42-47.png

Even with low mace skills I've been able to do stash and supply maps easily. And I found a +15 Magery ring and bracelet for +30 and was able to mark with ease (I fizzled a lot at +25)..

I'm not ready to tackle cache yet because the timing for using invis potions is very different from pre-casting invis, and I think I'd have a hard time hitting ogre lords.

I ran into a t-hunter outside my home, she had a chest on my front steps. She had archery and bard skills and doing a supply chest. Amazing trying to get so many skills, but I think she dropped tactics and anatomy.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm not ready to tackle cache yet because the timing for using invis potions is very different from pre-casting invis, and I think I'd have a hard time hitting ogre lords.
instead of invis potions, try marking 2-3 screens away, then pre-casting Sacred Journey, targeting the rune when the monsters spawn. As distance from chest only comes into play in the RT phase (if that, anymore), you can recall/SJ away, then walk back in to try to take on the spawn one at a time. And you can eventually assemble a runic atlas of shortcuts/evade spots that way.

Edit/Addendum: I even used this strategy tonight with my tamer/TH. My chest was about 5-6 screens from my house (the THB Guildhouse on Lake Austin), and the Hoard map had 2 balrons, an AW and a blood ele that were tearing my beetle to shreds. So, rather than try to get in close where the monsters might target switch and attack me, I cast GH on it, and when the beetle fell below 100 or so health, I recalled home, vetted it up, and walked back to the chest. It took 3 or 4 times before the spawn was down to just the AW (at which point I could vet the beetle faster than the AW did damage).

Last edited:

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's my template. I am up to doing Cache maps in Fel. Switching to Enhanced Client at the moment for help switching slayer spell books on the fly. Going to take some getting used to!

110 Magery
110 Eval
100 Meditation
100 Cart
100 Lockpicking
100 Remove Trap (currently at 74.3)
100 Inscription

I'm an old school mage, as you can see. :)

Just an addendum: I got my first legendary artifact off a Cache map (Fel) and sold it for 4 mil! I know I probably under priced it but what can ya do? I'm pleased with my T-hunter thus far.

Last edited:

(Taler)

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Currently Running (With Items):

Magery 92
Myst 110
Focus 110
Lp 100
Cart 100
RT 90
Hiding 100
Stealth 75

Enjoy stealthing around dungeons as well as tmaps. Ill bump up Myst/Focus if I can find/afford better skill items

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I finally hit 80 remote trap on my treasure hunter. I debated on even using it because I had to reduce other abilities.

The reduced periodic damage with higher remove trap is game changing. I’m now back to being able to solo higher level maps again.

My original issue was getting hit with high damage while disarming and then immediately attacked by a summoned guardian.

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How much luck did you use other than the Fel 1k bump?
I was using 985 luck. Forgot to pop my statue and had a crappy luck suit, couldn't be bothered crafting a new one. Will definitely craft a better luck suit for Hoard and Trove maps though!

Last edited:

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I just started yesterday for the very first time doing a thunt after the changes. My favorite template is a Tamer hunter. After i find the spot i mark it and then get my "battle" skills of the soulstones.
Which are:
120 taming lore and vet (with my awesome pup i really dont need vet)
110 magery
GM remove trap and lockpicking
After I defeat the Guardian spawn i start using remove trap on the chest. After I get the RT message i leave my pup at the chest and move around one tile away precasting invis.
I get one pulsating hit though while i invis myself. The higher end the Monster is the more damage you receive. This morning i did a Level 7 fel chest in around 15 minutes wearing a 3,3k luck suit (with statue) and it was surprisingly not that hard.. So far i did 7 trammel Level 6 one fel Level 6 (hoard) and Level 7 (trove)and only took one dirtnap. Well the dirtnap i took on my very first chest :gee: because i didnt anticipate the Monster targeting me after using RT. I should have read the fu...manual first:dunce::dunce: Well for an excuse it was my very first tryout...and the ancient wrym that popped after using RT gave me quite an educational lesson ;)
The loot I found on the Level 7 fel chest i found to be awesome. 6 legendary armor items and the usual pinkies alacrity and some 105 power scrolls. Oh and some strange necklace with no mods on it

BTW does mining still work? Out of a habit i searched the t spot with carto and mining

Last edited:

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I just started yesterday for the very first time doing a thunt after the changes. My favorite template is a Tamer hunter. After i find the spot i mark it and then get my "battle" skills of the soulstones.
Which are:
120 taming lore and vet (with my awesome pup i really dont need vet)
110 magery
GM remove trap and lockpicking
After I defeat the Guardian spawn i start using remove trap on the chest. After I get the RT message i leave my pup at the chest and move around one tile away precasting invis.
I get one pulsating hit though while i invis myself. The higher end the Monster is the more damage you receive. This morning i did a Level 7 fel chest in around 15 minutes wearing a 3,3k luck suit (with statue) and it was surprisingly not that hard.. So far i did 7 trammel Level 6 one fel Level 6 (hoard) and Level 7 (trove)and only took one dirtnap. Well the dirtnap i took on my very first chest :gee: because i didnt anticipate the Monster targeting me after using RT. I should have read the fu...manual first:dunce::dunce: Well for an excuse it was my very first tryout...and the ancient wrym that popped after using RT gave me quite an educational lesson ;)
The loot I found on the Level 7 fel chest i found to be awesome. 6 legendary armor items and the usual pinkies alacrity and some 105 power scrolls. Oh and some strange necklace with no mods on it

BTW does mining still work? Out of a habit i searched the t spot with carto and mining
Do you stone off Cartography before digging the chest up or is that even possible? I noticed a HUGE difference in quality of loot between a rusted chest and a gold chest, which Cartography factors into.

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you stone off Cartography before digging the chest up or is that even possible? I noticed a HUGE difference in quality of loot between a rusted chest and a gold chest, which Cartography factors into.
Yes I have stoned it off for the hunt. But as I really dont Need vet for a t hunt i will try out keeping carto on during the hunt

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Redid my template and went with mysticism instead of using slayer spell books and summons as my offense. It looks like this:

Mysticism 115
Focus 115
Magery 100
Cartography 100
LP 100
RT 100 (currently 82.2)
Meditation 90

Hoping it performs really well.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
So Cartography and esp GM Carto would be a factor as to loot quality of chests then. So you cannot stone carto and then dig and expect to get top possible loot. Looks like you could stone RT and sustain the consequences of that (more blue guardians with no loot, more fire blasts, longer time to actually open chest), and would need to keep LP for the high level chests-last 2 levels. Another choice would be to keep RT to a middle ground level like 60-70, carto 100, LP 100. Then formulate your spec around that, be it tamer or Mys. SW, Mage etc. Tamer probably the best for high levels with 5 slot pet like trained beetle, then you would need to isolate the spawned guardians divide and conquer, other pets may be self-healing pets or combo types healer/high resist pets, or even Naja with high resist spells, resist poison, armed with FzWW and you will need to heal Naja.
Many ideas and combos to try. Looks also whatever you do, you need some luck according to some well-respected testers, some people use the word "sweet spot of 1500, 1300", others go for max luck, 2000, or even 4000 or as high as attainable, that MUST be there as soon as you start digging the ground, before the box spawns and probably during the spawning process for the box. Then after it has spawned you also get the blue "guardians" 1,2,3 depending etc. Move away quickly, hopefully mounted or gargie speed, switch suit instantly, now possible in both CC and EC, with hotkey, into your fighting suit, and get after the blue guardians. After the box is in the open, presumably luck is not needed if I understand correctly. Then after you kill blue guardians you use the RT on the box etc.
Also looks from what the Devs have let us know, luck is important to hope for decent loot.
For tamer, I would suspect you will also need real taming 120, real lore 120 to use the masteries III to its fullest benefit to keep the pet alive with esp. paragon spawn or multiple GD, AW etc. if you cannot separate the spawn in time.
With some of the spawn it may be way hard to keep pet alive with anything, or may take extremely long to eliminate if counting for the pet or something like EV,s to do all the fighting fo you. This is where additional skills may be needed, like Mys, SW etc.
Also Davie locker=priceless, I would dare say indispensable.
This treasure hunting is an interesting challenge, and will create some new specs of templates.
I have used gargie MYS/SW with no deaths whatsoever, but have not tested last 2 levels yet due mostly to time constraints with RL, but will definitely give it a try, but need first to get luck suit up to like 1500 or so without the statue. Fel. is my favorite place, and always looking for Fel maps.

Nereus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The RNG is fickle, so the following is anecdotal from completed cache/hoard/trove maps:
Another choice would be to keep RT to a middle ground level like 60-70, carto 100, LP 100.
Agree. Currently running various templates at the 60, 80 and 100 RT levels.
Though 60 RT takes longer (template dependent) to plow through more guardians, RT fails have been oddly few.
At 80 RT, though fewer guardians appear, fails have been frequent. Noticeable RT improvement above 84.
Targeted 100 RT for spell casters, speeding up digs and reducing damage frequency to summons.

Curious to see RT testing using JOAT, or non-human at 0, if results are available.
need first to get luck suit up
Know others have differing experience; I haven't noticed a luck factor beyond gear intensity at the 750-3200 luck range. A group of 3+ seemed to have a greater effect on total special item returns.
Davie locker=priceless
Using orienteering basics, its easy enough to efficiently use visual cues to triangulate exact location on the map gump. Davies' is valuable storage, which value should be less now that maps are worth hunting/trading rather than hoarding.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just wondering, has anybody ever tried to do t-maps with a bonded automaton (either craftable Kotl Automaton or tinkering reward Blackrock Automaton)?

I just figured I'd only need to invest 100 tinkering skill points as opposed to having 240 taming/lore or 240 mysticism with RC/focus.

Anybody ever tried? And if so, to what level map are automatons feasible?